Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Shadowbringers has one of the most powerful narratives I've ever experienced in a video game. I'm just blown away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Someone was running their face into suspended laser beams, disturbing anything timestopped causes the Temeporal Paradox Map AoE

The first and last boss of that dungeon are the only ones I actively dislike out of the lot in ShB, just because it's incredibly easy for even a single person who's not paying attention to either wipe the party or, at the least, make healing an incredible chore.

Vargatron posted:

Shadowbringers has one of the most powerful narratives I've ever experienced in a video game. I'm just blown away.

I think Stormblood was ultimately the price we ended up having to pay for Shadowbringers, but it was a price worth paying, IMO. Ishikawa really refined her craft between the two stories, to the point that I was genuinely surprised to find that she was the lead writer on both of them when I went to check. Yoshida's got a real talent for picking up diamonds in the rough.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 4, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Vermain posted:

Thancred's love for Source!Minfilia is entirely familial, something that gets emphasized in HW and repeatedly emphasized in ShB. Their relationship confused people because Thancred's backstory with her was entirely a 1.0 thing that only got mentioned once or twice in ARR, and because anime character ages are, like, Teen, Adult, and Comically Old, which makes it hard to discern that Thancred is many years her senior.

On the topic of Thancred, I kind of wish that they restricted the fights with Ran'jit to him. His character arc is tied to Thancred and Ryne's anyway. I guess keep the fight at the end of Eulmore, if you absolutely need to, though.

Also, I know he's a general who has been fighting forever, but it felt a little weird he could just instantly body the Warrior of Light without any special powers. I know the WoL isn't unstoppable and Ran'jit has experience, but ehhh.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 4, 2019

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

On the topic of Thancred, I kind of wish that they restricted the fights with Ran'jit to him. His character arc is tied to Thancred and Ryne's anyway. I guess keep the fight at the end of Eulmore, if you absolutely need to, though.

Also, I know he's a general who has been fighting forever, but it felt a little weird he could just instantly body the Warrior of Light without any special powers. I know the WoL isn't unstoppable and Ran'jit has experience, but ehhh.

I'm willing to accept it as him surprising you: he's got some weird technique that you've never seen before and you get blindsided. It's why he's nowhere near as devastating once you and Thancred fight him later on, especially when compared to the Zenos fights in SB (where he genuinely is a hulking, unstoppable monster that can end a fight whenever he wants to).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Fair enough, I suppose.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Is there a way to force change instances? I am trying to finish a quest in 2.3 and a hunt creature spawned right on top of the objective.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I just did a Praetorium where the other red mage was using Verthunder 2 and Veraero 2 on single target. I should have expected this would be a thing, but I was unprepared nevertheless.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Spoiler Context: Ran'jit throughout the MSQ including late game, be 78-79 before reading this

I mean he has a magic dragon stand that he can fuse with, that's a pretty special power! It's also hinted at that he's basically been killing Sin Eaters alongside the various Minfillia reincarnations for most of his life so he's been at this longer than we have. Technically, the WoL's actual Special Power is more geared towards countering primals and gods. Beyond that we're just someone who is Good At Violence and don't have a hard counter for someone else who might be More Good At Violence than we are at a given point.

I actually really like Ran'jit as an adversary for us in the ShB MSQs, you need to hand wave a little bit how he pulls a Zenos and starts out being able to overmatch us in a straight up fight, but it makes him much more effective as the threat he needs to be for the rest of the MSQ. We know he's trouble, and he's relentless. Having a certified badass we're not certain we can deal with constantly a step behind our own actions does a pretty effective job of adding urgency to the plot.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
More complete thoughts on SCH now I've had some more time to play with it at 80:

* Overall SCH healing is ridiculous, and we can handle emergencies better than ever before.
* Sacred Soil and Consolation are amazingly strong, and probably need to eat a nerf (but don't tell Yoshi I said that).
* Recitation is really good and fun to use, and helps account for the loss of Quickened Aetherflow.
* Fey Blessing is good, and finally gives us a way to switch off Fey Union without wasting time on a nothing oGCD.
* MP is fine outside of AoEing with slow DPS. Out-of-combat MP regen sucks though. (Also Piety scales so badly it's basically a dead stat.)
* It'd be nice if Seraph's regen and Illumination worked differently to Lily's standard ones in some way.
* Remove the in-combat restriction from Aetherflow, please. It's just clunky as it is, and not being able to pre-Excog feels bad.
* Give us a non-healing way to dump Aetherflow. It doesn't even have to be a DPS skill, just give us something that doesn't have us wasting Lustrates.
* Either buff Ruin II or give Broil III a 1.5s cast time. Right now we're losing ~80 potency on any heal we cast outside of Biolysis refresh windows, and it's not great.
* Dissipation still doesn't feel great to use, especially since it basically means we have to lose a source of healing (10 Embrace casts, 30 gauge, which is 3 casts of Blessing, and access to Seraph for the duration) for our Largesse equivalent, unlike WHM and AST, which is especially jarring given it still only buffs Physick, Adlo, and Succor.
* Tying Fey Covenant and Fey Illumination together feels weird, but the full effects of that will be hard to gauge till Savage hits.

Overall it's in a great place right now, just with some weird clunkiness attached to it.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Why is dgkk’s tag not <<la HEE>> yet

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tainen posted:

Is there a way to force change instances? I am trying to finish a quest in 2.3 and a hunt creature spawned right on top of the objective.

Any main aetherite should have a change instance option.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Thumbtacks posted:

Why is dgkk’s tag not <<la HEE>> yet

Because it’s 6 characters, isn’t funny, and is pbc’s current tag

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Saigyouji posted:

* Either buff Ruin II or give Broil III a 1.5s cast time. Right now we're losing ~80 potency on any heal we cast outside of Biolysis refresh windows, and it's not great.

That'd ruin the tradeoffs that they've built in to the various DPS actions. AST has the most "free" weaving opportunities and decent mobility, but has terrible personal DPS and needs to engage in a non-healing minigame to compensate for that. WHM has the highest personal DPS, but has to manage Lilies exceptionally well to not lose DPS during movement phases or when they need to weave. SCH can double weave whenever they want and continue to output good DPS during periods where they need to remain mobile, but have less DPS in a pure Patchwerk-style fight than WHM and have to eat a small potency loss if they don't want to clip.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vermain posted:

They started to finalize their visual vocabulary around midway through Heavensward after Thordan Extreme. It was a lot looser before that point, but the overwhelming majority of content from late Heavensward onwards uses the same basic indicators with an occasional variation. It obviates a lot of the need for in-game dungeon guides, because you can generally figure out what the deal is through a combination of trial-and-error and watching the indicators closely.

i can manage every mechanic except the level 77 final boss cross one. apparently straight lines gently caress me up

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Blast of Confetti posted:

i can manage every mechanic except the level 77 final boss cross one. apparently straight lines gently caress me up

stand on the feather that's next charging, until you go all the way around, then switch between s and se

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Cabbit posted:

I just did a Praetorium where the other red mage was using Verthunder 2 and Veraero 2 on single target. I should have expected this would be a thing, but I was unprepared nevertheless.

I'm only level 56 RDM, but are you not supposed to do that for single target stuff?

I thought the rotation was Jolt, Thunder/Aero, if Proc then Fire/Stone then Aero/Thunder, if no proc back to Jolt.

AoE seems to be basically Jolt then Scatter since Scatter now has a ridiculous cast time.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Annath posted:

I'm only level 56 RDM, but are you not supposed to do that for single target stuff?

I thought the rotation was Jolt, Thunder/Aero, if Proc then Fire/Stone then Aero/Thunder, if no proc back to Jolt.

AoE seems to be basically Jolt then Scatter since Scatter now has a ridiculous cast time.

Thunder and aero 2 are both short cast time aoes, you’re meant to cast them and then scatter/impact instead of jolt.

Also after playing with it a bit, not a fan of it. The moulinet change is fine, but aero and thunder 2 just feel like complication for complication’s sake rather than being a real step up. I’d rather have the old version than this, but I know they could have done better than both versions.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 4, 2019

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Because it’s 6 characters, isn’t funny, and is pbc’s current tag

:greenangel:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Oh, also right now Galvanize is eaten before Catalyze, which means if you want a full strength Deployment Tactics you can't deploy off the tank, which is kind of a waste of Catalyze.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thunder and aero 2 are both short cast time aoes, you’re meant to cast them and then scatter/impact instead of jolt.

Also after playing with it a bit, not a fan of it. The moulinet change is fine, but aero and thunder 2 just feel like complication for complication’s sake rather than being a real step up. I’d rather have the old version than this, but I know they could have done better than both versions.

I feel like they missed an opportunity to make the AOEs different elements. Water and Ice to round us out. But maybe they want to save those for the future, or felt there was value in having them map directly to their non-aoe counterparts, even if their purposes are inverted? (In terms of cast order.)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I otoh really like it :v: I agree that it's complication for complication's sake, but it just feels better to me that it mirrors the single-target playstyle of alternating black and white magic.

what I don't like is actually having to worry about MP. I've ran out of MP so many times already and it takes me by surprise every time (I even try to use Lucid Dreaming often!) I'm so used to RDM not having to worry about that at all, and what makes it feel extra bad is that physical jobs no longer have to worry about TP (rip in piss)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just had a "fun" 567 roulette (the Burn) with a tank who kept dropping tank stance for some reason. When I told him to turn it on and keep it on, his bootlicking dancer buddy told me it was on (it wasn't, I was healing so I was staring at his bar the entire time, and also the red mage was tanking), and that it was my fault that he couldn't hold threat because I was pulling extra packs (nobody died except when the tank ate a ton of mechanics).

Good to see that people still find ways to be aggressively bad!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I probably should have asked this question long before I got a nInja to 50 and bailed on them, but what are the easiest classes as far as being able to just mash buttons and be generally ok? I don't want five billion hotbars and I want to be able to sit on the couch with my PS4 controller and not have to cycle through too many hotbars either. I am a baby noob with MMOs and have basically just played this and STO, and I'm definitely playing as a Final Fantasy fan and not a guy who likes MMOs. I've been playing MRD through my latest run and it definitely feels way simpler than ninja at level 48 or whatever I'm at now, but I'm wondering about other tanks that might be fun/simple or other DPS classes I should try.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm not seeing the MP problems other Red Mages are reporting. Then again I jam Lucid on cooldown. The only time I have issues with MP is if I'm having to throw out Verraises or I get so wrapped up in mechanics I forget to use Lucid.

Otherwise its a slow net loss, but slow enough any major fight should be either over or (for trials) reach an intermission where you can regen some MP.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?
Got my Dark Knight to 78 and getting ready for the final push this weekend, and I was a bit dismayed when I heard Darkside and Dark Arts were getting removed. After playing it though, it's is wonderfully fantastic to replace Dark Arts with a oGCD gently caress you damage attack between every swing. Going into a fight with 100 Blood, popping blood weapon, and going Blood Spiller Shadows Edge Blood Spiller Delirium Blood Spiller Shadows Edge Blood Spiller Carve and Spit Blood Spiller Shadows Edge Blood Spiller Salted Earth Blood Spiller Abyssal Drain feels loving amazing.

Gishin fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 4, 2019

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm not seeing the MP problems other Red Mages are reporting. Then again I jam Lucid on cooldown. The only time I have issues with MP is if I'm having to throw out Verraises or I get so wrapped up in mechanics I forget to use Lucid.

Otherwise its a slow net loss, but slow enough any major fight should be either over or (for trials) reach an intermission where you can regen some MP.

Yeah, it's not as much of a problem if you lucid on CD, but you could conceivably OOM doing a single target rotation, which wasn't really the case before, except on particularly long fights. Pre ShB, I was only really using Lucid if I did a lot of heal/rez, or died and got picked up.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DrNutt posted:

I probably should have asked this question long before I got a nInja to 50 and bailed on them, but what are the easiest classes as far as being able to just mash buttons and be generally ok? I don't want five billion hotbars and I want to be able to sit on the couch with my PS4 controller and not have to cycle through too many hotbars either. I am a baby noob with MMOs and have basically just played this and STO, and I'm definitely playing as a Final Fantasy fan and not a guy who likes MMOs. I've been playing MRD through my latest run and it definitely feels way simpler than ninja at level 48 or whatever I'm at now, but I'm wondering about other tanks that might be fun/simple or other DPS classes I should try.

Nothing will be a button mash, but Red Mage probably has the simplest rotation and is fairly forgiving.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just starting the new content. I am hyped to gunblade it up! :dance:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/augureit/status/1146489128336465923?s=21

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?

https://twitter.com/eggisup/status/1146431462385823744

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
daddy thancred is way hotter sorry uriangerluers

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cabbit posted:

LMAO oh this makes me so happy :allears:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

dadcred and unclegier

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Nothing will be a button mash

mch is getting extremely high CPM with the latest rework, and i hear nin and smn are even worse atm

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 4, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kaubocks posted:

mch is getting extremely high CPM with the latest rework, and i hear nin and smn are even worse atm

Fast, yeah, but not just mashing buttons on a whim.

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
Started over from nothing on a new character because reasons. In 2.1 and already halfway to 60. Considering DNC or GNB to take through the three xpacks. Thoughts?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Meiteron posted:

I actually really like Ran'jit as an adversary for us in the ShB MSQs, (spoilers)

I got a kick out of Ran'jit because of my character model. He was straight up my Evil Twin. We even had similar scars! :v:
Even though he's really Thancred's bizzaro aspect.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ran'jit? I'm sorry, you must mean Master Asia.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I also don't have any MP issues unless Verraise happens a lot (which should 100% be a harsh limitation) or if I go stupid/lazy and keep using spells at 100/100 mana due to mechanics or zoning out. Especially since RDM has zero issues weaving an oGCD every 60 seconds. But yeah the easiest way to run low on mp is forgetting Lucid and not using Manafication on cooldown (since it's ~2gcds worth of MP you aren't using every time you melee combo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:wrong: