Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Arivia posted:

It's not a lore bible. You're a fool to think that Ed Greenwood could ever collapse his notes down to a lore bible. His sample looks at the Realms he was sending to TSR in 1986 are like 206 pages, and that's just samples he was sending to them to sell them on the setting. No, there's boxes and boxes and boxes of documents on everything. Technically, everything Ed says is canon unless otherwise contradicted by a published source; think of it like how George Lucas used to be the primary decider of all canon in Star Wars until he sold the property to Disney. What happens is that Wizards, their employees and contractors, and their licensees ask for information about something from Ed and he sends them a box of stuff on Shadowdale or Elminster or whatever. Then they take that, see what they think is usable (often cutting a lot of the good stuff out) and put that into a final product.

Orcus is a weird one to mention though, since Orcus has been canon in the Realms since like 1988. Unless Wizards is loving with the Realms again!

e: After reading the article, Wizards has been trying to spin big bad stupid ideas out of plot hooks from Ed for years. Both the Spellplague for 4e and the Sundering for 5e were them taking an old plot hook and trying to make something out of it.
I count boxes and boxes of papers as a lore bible. Cork board covered with bits of red string and thumbtacks pointing at a variety of pictures and articles? Lore bible. Shoebox full of scrawl-covered napkins? Lore bible. Binders that have titles made from cut-out magazine words that've been taped on? Lore bible. That time they managed to trap one of Ed's sleep paralysis demons in a bell jar and it just yells words constantly to trick people to let it out? Lore bible but very time consuming to transcribe and collate (until they got that one machine from Hasbro, you know the one).

Don't get me wrong I completely believe that it's a full-time job to collect and rework another person's thoughts and intellectual properties into a form that's easily approachable for a franchise to exploit and work with. That job is not an excuse to ignore being willfully negligent and hurtful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Isn't that thing he's saying about Orcus basically one of the things Darkseid's got going on, where it is in some way the same Darkseid in all the various universes?

Does this mean Orcus gets annually owned by Santa?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hostile V posted:

I count boxes and boxes of papers as a lore bible. Cork board covered with bits of red string and thumbtacks pointing at a variety of pictures and articles? Lore bible. Shoebox full of scrawl-covered napkins? Lore bible. Binders that have titles made from cut-out magazine words that've been taped on? Lore bible. That time they managed to trap one of Ed's sleep paralysis demons in a bell jar and it just yells words constantly to trick people to let it out? Lore bible but very time consuming to transcribe and collate (until they got that one machine from Hasbro, you know the one).

Don't get me wrong I completely believe that it's a full-time job to collect and rework another person's thoughts and intellectual properties into a form that's easily approachable for a franchise to exploit and work with. That job is not an excuse to ignore being willfully negligent and hurtful.

That makes sense, it's definitely not an excuse.

It's just that a lore bible involves focus and some degree of editing, imo. Part of what's appealing about the Realms is that it's really just Ed's overgrown campaign notes from the early 1980s. They're sprawling, giant, absurd things.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Yeah, a "real" lore bible can be pretty hefty, but it's not going to be just thousands of pieces of random trivia. It's for getting collaborators all on the same page in a broad sense. If a freelancer needs to know all the details about some specific event written into a book 20 years ago, they get someone else to just tell them or (ideally) get a comp PDF of the relevant book(s).

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Isn't that thing he's saying about Orcus basically one of the things Darkseid's got going on, where it is in some way the same Darkseid in all the various universes?

Does this mean Orcus gets annually owned by Santa?

Orcus Epistemology 101 sounds like exactly what I want in 5th edition D&D, I'm sure.

More seriously, this comes off a lot like he's gotten into the MCU and wants to wax eloquent about the Thanos equivalent big crossover boss for something like the Realms. Which fits with what you describe because Thanos is already a knockoff Darkseid.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Fair corrections on my use of the phrase and you're all right. I'm still gonna posit a proper D&D lore bible is a big collection of trivia and thought-threads that people are constantly flipping through due to contradictions and maddeningly vague plain language because it's A: fitting and B: makes me laugh.

(destroy lore IMO, canon is worthless and a prison of creativity, do what thou wilt)

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Caring about "canonicity" is just a different way of having fun with a piece of fiction and it's fine to do that, despite assholes frequently using it as a bludgeon against other people's fun.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Don't forget people who use Canon as a gatekeeping bludgeon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You should absolutely care about how your writers approach fiction, and not every approach is equally valid -- although which are more or less valid depend on what you're trying to achieve.

On the other hand, thinking about "canon" makes way, way more sense in the context of a TRPG than it does in a work of narrative art, because the basic premise of a TRPG setting is that you're creating a toolbox for someone else to use. (Setting aside universal systems for the moment, for hopefully obvious reasons.)

If that toolbox has nothing but vague suggestions it's useless, if it details absolutely everything with no sense of priority or importance it's almost useless, and the decision about what you choose to specifically define vs. what you don't is very important because that's what defines your setting/toolbox as a creative work.

Like, canon is stupid in the context of literature or film because it confuses an aesthetic experience with a simulation, and fails to appreciate that there's not actually anything "behind the screen," so to speak; there's just the work itself.

This doesn't apply as strongly to tabletop RPGs because they literally are simulations, and not only that, they actively rely on all the players and the GM having a shared set of assumptions about the imaginary scenario they're simulating.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 4, 2019

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I would contend that 'is Orcus aware that he's not aware of settings that don't contain Orcus' is just the kind of minutiae that even I, who enjoys Mage: The Awakening metaphysics, think is entirely disconnected from the actual toolbox elements of canon.

Like, it's the kind of thing you say to make the setting sound deep or secret, rather than actually building a useable setting. Plus it's just, on a fiction level, bizarrely drawing attention to the fact that D&D doesn't actually hold together as a single oversetting- which is fine! But why act like it does then zoom in on how it doesn't?-

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Hostile V posted:

Fair corrections on my use of the phrase and you're all right. I'm still gonna posit a proper D&D lore bible is a big collection of trivia and thought-threads that people are constantly flipping through due to contradictions and maddeningly vague plain language because it's A: fitting and B: makes me laugh.

(destroy lore IMO, canon is worthless and a prison of creativity, do what thou wilt)

A setting filled with completely authoritative statements that completely contradict each other is part of why I like the Chronicles of Darkness cosmology so much. Even the "base" setting (the God-Machine stuff) seems specifically designed to allow inserting spooky bullshit into the worldviews of each supernatural type that doesn't match how they think the world works.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ChroD doesn't actually authoritatively contradict itself, though. There are some unreliable narrators, and the setting is very explicitly designed to always have room for new weird stuff that doesn't fit into existing paradigms, but there's a pretty distinct and settled set of shared assumptions at the bottom of it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Christ, Forgotten Realms loving sucks. Just make a Dark Sun game like everyone actually wants.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

ChroD doesn't actually authoritatively contradict itself, though. There are some unreliable narrators, and the setting is very explicitly designed to always have room for new weird stuff that doesn't fit into existing paradigms, but there's a pretty distinct and settled set of shared assumptions at the bottom of it.

I think they're talking about poo poo like the "this story is true" blurbs in Wtf2

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

Christ, Forgotten Realms loving sucks. Just make a Dark Sun game like everyone actually wants.

An Eberron game that isn't a lovely MMO

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

The Orcus thing sounds like he's trying to imitate Monte Cook. That is totally something Cook would throw into Invisible Sun, and the mechanical representation of Orcus's omniawareness of realities is +2 to all actions.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kurieg posted:

I think they're talking about poo poo like the "this story is true" blurbs in Wtf2

... the stuff that's explicitly presented as hotly contested oral history that's blended into myth for thousands of years? :raise:

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Okay here's my hypothesis:

WOTC HR: Mike! Mike! It's really important! We need someone to look after the mythic integrity of the forgotten realms and make sure the timeline's consistent! Only you have the master game designer chops to sit in the DEEPVAULT and ensure that ONE adventure happens BEFORE ANOTHER.

Mearls: Oh okay this seems very important.

WOTC HR: Okay here's the DEEPVAULT it may look like the basement supply closet but that's just a level 3 phantasmal force, can you see the mythic truth underneath?

Mearls: Yes! I can see it!

WOTC HR: Also you can't tweet any more. That would leak information to Orcus.

Mearls: I always knew I was the CHOSEN ONE.

WOTC HR: [closes door]

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Fuego Fish posted:

Christ, Forgotten Realms loving sucks. Just make a Dark Sun Eberron SpellJammer game like everyone actually wants.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
drat, yeah. Gotta concede that point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Spelljammer vs Dark Sun, it's a cover based shooter.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

give the rights to Birthright to Greg Stolze so I can run it in REIGN without having to homebrew everything

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
A spelljammer fleeing Neogi attack ships is forced to crash land on Athas. They must join with the local tohr-kreen to fight off the Neogi invaders as they come in search of prey and slaves.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My favorite setting is Eberron, which is specifically because of a long-running PBP game set at Morgrave Academy. Maybe more D&D settings need to be able to replicate school drama, IDK.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Guys they did the good settings in the good D&D. This is the bad D&D so they are sticking to the bad settings and it's fine. Do you actually want Mearls to be in charge of Ebberon? Dark Sun? I don't.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The fact that Mearls doesn't like Eberron meaning 5e will never get a physical Eberron book is just lol

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

give the rights to Birthright to Greg Stolze so I can run it in REIGN without having to homebrew everything

Good God I didn't realize how badly I wanted this before you mentioned it but now I want nothing else more in this world.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

S.J. posted:

The fact that Mearls doesn't like Eberron meaning 5e will never get a physical Eberron book is just lol

The first qualifying question for being put in charge of D&D should be "Eberron: doed it own?" and if you answer "no" you're immediately Jazzy Jeffed out the door.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

If that picture of a warforged hanging of the side of an airship about to rob a lightning train doesn't get you stoked to play then you're dead inside.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Congratulations to Jef and Jon of System Mastery on the announcement of their book!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pope Guilty posted:

Congratulations to Jef and Jon of System Mastery on the announcement of their book!

Huh.

I have mixed feelings. I like them a lot, but I don't actually want a giant book of puns.

8one6 posted:

If that picture of a warforged hanging of the side of an airship about to rob a lightning train doesn't get you stoked to play then you're dead inside.

You should just use this as a test of whether or not to play games with people. Or at least anything that you'd run with D&D or whatever.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Eberron is great in part because it has actual defined themes the author wanted to happen in play and then worked backwards from there to get a setting for, instead of duplicating off-brand Tolkien-plus-Vancian mishmash for the nth time.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Huh.

I have mixed feelings. I like them a lot, but I don't actually want a giant book of puns.

You should just use this as a test of whether or not to play games with people. Or at least anything that you'd run with D&D or whatever.

Heh, we were contacted by the publisher to write it, it was sort of surreal when we figured out what they actually wanted.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

theironjef posted:

Heh, we were contacted by the publisher to write it, it was sort of surreal when we figured out what they actually wanted.

O yeah, not judging you guys. And I'm sure they're great puns. But it's really hard to imagine sitting down and reading a whole book of puns.

So on the one hand I want to support you, but on the other hand I don't know what I'd do with it. It's like if you made nipple clamps ; I'm sure they'd be excellent ones but that's not something I'm actually in the market for.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
A book that's just a collection of puns sounds punishing to read.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Roadie posted:

A book that's just a collection of puns sounds punishing to read.

It's really one of those joke books like you'd get as a kid, all 101 Vampire jokes or whatever, just about D&D stuff in general. Not that many of the jokes are puns, it's mostly extremely basic one liners. Which again is what the publishers wanted. So weird.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Plutonis posted:

An Eberron game that isn't a lovely MMO
Eberron first-person RPG

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

theironjef posted:

It's really one of those joke books like you'd get as a kid, all 101 Vampire jokes or whatever, just about D&D stuff in general. Not that many of the jokes are puns, it's mostly extremely basic one liners. Which again is what the publishers wanted. So weird.

TBH this implies that somebody at S&S listens to you and went "we gotta get some of what they're doing here", which is neat.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

theironjef posted:

Amazon has your category pegged, man. Congrats on being the #1 new release in your field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

TBH this implies that somebody at S&S listens to you and went "we gotta get some of what they're doing here", which is neat.

Heh, not a chance. The editing shows that no one there has ever heard of RPG terminology. What actually happened is that D'Amato's book was successful so they shopped around his network for the next biggest showrunner.