Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
So me and a bunch of coworkers hung out after work, eating pizza and making marios. We set up some rules: we randomize a game, theme and list of parts, then spend 20 minutes making a stage. Then we upload them and play each others' stages. We made three stages each. These are mine. Due warning: These are all very bad, very stupid, poorly thought out, rushed levels and they won't go into the spreadsheet, but I'm posting them anyway because maybe someone else is entertained by stupid bullshit made in 20 minutes.

Lair of the Fish Wizards: L9M-VMY-78G (Randomized rules: NSMBU, underwater, mushroom platforms, bricks, 10-coins, cheep-cheeps, magikoopas and tracks)
Thgin Yrrats: D61-YPX-9HG (Randomized rules: NSMBU, cave, steep slopes, note blocks, propeller mushrooms, lakitus, boom-booms, doors and burners)
dogstack.wmv: DQR-JWL-VWG (Randomized rules: SMB1, desert, mushroom platforms, note blocks, super stars, chain chomps, boom-booms and bumpers)

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fortis posted:

This is my first sky level, I’ve mostly stuck to designing castles and airships and wanted to branch out a bit. It’s all about blinking blocks! Since this is my first sky level I’d definitely appreciate feedback, I honestly can’t tell if it’s too easy or kind of bullshit.

https://twitter.com/pkfortis/status/1146874758123810816

The first section is really slow due to the amount of waiting around you have to do. Once enemies start showing up you can jump on them to speed things up and it gets a lot more fun.

There seem to be 1 or 2 forced waits on the walljump segments too, although some of them you can just run back to back at full speed.

The banzai bill section at the end could use some coin guides, it's not very clear where the platforms you're descending to will be (especially since they're not there.)

Overall it's pretty fun though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying out game jam levels:

27X-1HV-J6G - Switch it up by D3lness

Really fun level, the only problem I had was the last jump on the platforming section. You get a mushroom right before this section, but I'm not entirely sure its possible as big Mario. I tried about 15-20 times, and I came back as small mario and landed it first try.

TYW-G34-WVF - Switching it Up, Mario Style

Also really enjoyable. The difficulty really ramps up in the last wall jump section, but its totally doable!

W8D-S97-9GG - # Underwater Castle Very Hard

easily the most tolerable water level ive ever played

eonwe fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 4, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Some weird glitch on my level.

https://twitter.com/tehlobster/status/1146895338478772224

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So I think the footprints are people who've beaten your level, not played right? So I think one person liked it but couldn't complete it

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

eonwe posted:

So I think the footprints are people who've beaten your level, not played right? So I think one person liked it but couldn't complete it

I've got 16 feet and 9 clears on my level, 67 total attempts, so the feet should be total unique players.

e: And only 5 likes :negative:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

eonwe posted:

No, it's supposed to be the number of people who have played. Completing the course gets flagged as clears.

What's probably happening there is someone liked it while still playing the course. I suspect that it tells the server that X person played once they stop, otherwise notifications that someone played your course would come even faster.

So I tried to make the Metroid item fanfare play but the rhythm is off and I can't get sustained notes to work so that level design is scrapped.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Huh, good to know.

Also

DLY-J79-LXG - Don't Switch the Switch!

Mega64 knocked this one out of the park IMO. A level with switches where the whole point is to not flip them

535-CFS-QDG - Ski Lift Shutdown

One of the best jobs I've seen of conveying a 'theme' with that Ski Lift breaking down in the level

eonwe fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 4, 2019

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Four Bottles in the Desert (7BN-W4J-DBG) by National Parks: A neat concept well done. Donut and Fire bottles could be shorter.

Boom Boom's Unpaid Electric Bill (MNB-F4G-7KF) by Q_res: A good gimmick but I can't say I'm a big fan of the idea behind darkness maps in general(haha, you got hit by something you can't see until you're 1 tile away from it!) Also one Boom Boom fight too many, I appreciate the 2nd could be evaded. Good use of pow blocks for light, a good darkness map!

Mountain Cave Adventure (3GM-C3K-C0G) by Ignite Memories: Cool irregular geometry in the cave and very creative use of flying blocks as delaying obstacles! But 1-tile only spots stink for Big Mario! Maybe that's the intent, but the power-ups in the first part are plentiful and it's easy to skip the Boom Booms? Really, the 1-tile paths stink in general. I was able to duck hop through usually but the 1 tile jumps are really clumsy to make even as Small Mario, like "this is bugged/unresponsive" bad. The Shelmet to get by Wiggler trap is really easy to break. Between that and the snake block section there's good ideas here sandwiched between stretches of anti-fun, ended up Start-Resetting a lot and I eventually gave up because trying to force myself as Small Mario through the unresponsive 1 tile gaps before a Boo killed me was purely frustrating. Holding left and jumping isn't a taxing skill unless it fails randomly. Definitely needs a pass for basic player mobility.

All about Toimin' (KT3-402-9XG) by hyphz: A cute trainer for NSMB tech but I'm not sure what the Goombas in the last part are for, I just used a wall jump to get outta town. Giving the mushroom at the start is odd too as you can't use it on the second spike jump(just dashed and twirled as Small Mario.) Good for what it is with room for some tightening up.

Space Battle (CVF-0BL-7KF) by dbhjed: A fun little shmup. Was worried I'd get stuck on some of the walls between areas given Big Mario and the Clown Car's size but was fine.

Abyssal Adventure (9HJ-VK3-41G) by Random Stranger: An underwater map! A bold move! I like the little coral reef trap where the bloopers catch up to you when you go for the coins. A good coin hunt map but I dislike the shell/bumper switch, having something I can die to at the end of a long stretch with no checkpoint is rough(cause not used to shell physics underwater + can hit self), making the shot and seeing the shell bounce past the switch is agony. I dig the speedrun tech of preserving the p-switch!

Desert Daring (Deleted) by Lobster: A neat little Blitz concept. The bumpers didn't really send me anywhere, add a few bumpers on rails along the ice-topped jumps between spineys to risk sending people backwards during the mad dash to the goal as per the Multiplayer Versus tag?

Desert Daring (BT9-2JY-0KF) by Lobster: More engaging with an actual chance to be stopped! The desert winds blowing left can make it feel impossible to accelerate and jump out of the muncher pits but you can and it fits the Multiplayer nature of the map well.

Fun in the Heat (GSR-4W5-P5G) by Cheesetriangles: A decent vanilla SMB3 stage but I'm no fan of the front-loaded pipes at the start.

Ski Lift Shutdown (535-CFS-QDG) by Phantasium: The switch jumps are designed for dashing speed and height but the enemies on the first two dashing switch jumps cycle to break it so often I start each attempt on a real sour note. Great intro and thanks for putting the checkpoint right after it for those that just want to clear the course at all!

The Ants Go Marching (JVN-JN6-4NF) by Vanilla Ice: Blind pit after the long clear pipe is no good! Gimme some guiding coins or a chance to grab the background if I'm thoughtful enough to stick with Cat Mario! Given the nature of the map it'd be tighter thematically to have more walls to climb, cut the Fire Flowers and stick to Cat Bells. There was a point where I got a Fire Flower as a cat and felt I'd just had a severe downgrade in being able to finish the level! Naked pipes hanging in midair is rough visually. I like the idea and this would be a solid level with some more compact design in the initial area guiding players to pipes to the big fun run around and fight ants map, as well as some guide coins suggesting players enter the pipes. I think a lot of players will subconsciously assume that "I can enter that" color is green by default and anything else is gonna spit out enemies, especially if they clear the first screen at barely 20 ants and wonder what to do next. Strongly recommend you have the kill count be 30-40 with +10 over the amount needed being in the stage.

Goomba Garden (M8S-78N-RGF) by yrmr: Fun idea and execution, rare to see a good use of biiig stacks of enemies. Good use of night theme!

Five in the Sky (5MW-NSP-VMF) by beerinator: Switch speed is WAY too fast. I ended up just using the power up platform offered at the start to hop to the first seesaw before the gimmicks started and spin jump as fast as I could to the third one. Wait for the Thwomp a few seconds, leap over the top of the next two and pretty much all the Switch nonsense ignored. Now admittedly it looked like a fun set up and a great idea but it was so fast I didn't enjoy it and sought to test the limits of the stage boundaries about five falls in! I'm not sure the Koopas add anything, this feels like more of a good seesaw course in the making.

Don't Switch the Switch! (DLY-J79-LXG) by Mega64: A lot of good ideas and a strong switch level. Some puzzles seem like they might be too tight or janky due to working in the MM engine but they all also seem to function reliably if you know a specific trick(or that they're coming. Mostly Boo #2.) I thought the Bowser fight was very clumsy until I figured out the exact safe spot that let the bombs keep cycling, now I see it is good.

Mtn. Don't (TR8-86R-RKG) by Hansolio: A good simple Kaizo tech stage?! You're more reasonable and well-intentioned than the average guy who'd line his jumps with spikes!

Make Way! (LRL-JJP-GLF) by NofrikinfuN: A good showcase of what Builder Mario can do, something I'd expect to see in an actual Mario game. Probably want an Arrow + Y notification in the first room to let people know how to make crates.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 4, 2019

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Doomykins posted:

Make Way! (LRL-JJP-GLF) by NofrikinfuN: A good showcase of what Builder Mario can do, something I'd expect to see in an actual Mario game. Probably want an Arrow + Y notification in the first room to let people know how to make crates.

Would you believe me if I said I had an arrow until I went and decorated with the semisolid platforms? At that point I had outfitted the entire center area with them and decided on aesthetic over information. :eng99:

Though I did leave half that room undecorated anyway, since the start arrow is so big! :argh:

Thanks for the playthrough and comments, I appreciate it!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yeah semi-solids are a pain when you want background decoration, an easy fix is to drag a single coin in and clone it one at a time. Using multi-grab at all will overwrite something.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

eonwe posted:

I'm trying out game jam levels:

27X-1HV-J6G - Switch it up by D3lness

Really fun level, the only problem I had was the last jump on the platforming section. You get a mushroom right before this section, but I'm not entirely sure its possible as big Mario. I tried about 15-20 times, and I came back as small mario and landed it first try.

Git gud, scub.

In all seriousness, thanks much for the feedback. That jump is doable as big Mario, but you need to jump at the every end of the conveyor. I must have spent 10+ minutes trying to tune that one jump. In hind sight, I should have just moved the conveyor over one square instead of moving the ON switch all over.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Fortis posted:

This is my first sky level, I’ve mostly stuck to designing castles and airships and wanted to branch out a bit. It’s all about blinking blocks! Since this is my first sky level I’d definitely appreciate feedback, I honestly can’t tell if it’s too easy or kind of bullshit.

https://twitter.com/pkfortis/status/1146874758123810816

Fun level. I agree that the guide coins in the final section with the bullet bills could be a little clearer. I couldn't see where the next platform was, and it wound up killing me. (You can sort of see it on your ascent, but I doubt most people will pay attention to that.)

Also, does anyone else get (very slightly) stressed when playing the "clear your course" section before uploading your course? Even though my levels aren't that hard and I play them a bunch when making them, I suddenly feel "oh, better not mess up, this is for real!" when doing the playtest before uploading.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

TFP 7W0 SDG

this is my submission for the jam.

rhinocerous tomb! i really like the idea of getting to grips with little, cramped spaces and putting a lot in there. i'm sure there's probably areas where you can soft lock yourself or break the intended sequence but i haven't really shown it to anyone so who knows.

the back half might be a bit more rubbish than the first, but i realised i've been playing mario maker with the gusto of a heroin junkie, so was keen to just say "i'm done" rather than "it's finished".

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

d3lness posted:

Git gud, scub.

In all seriousness, thanks much for the feedback. That jump is doable as big Mario, but you need to jump at the every end of the conveyor. I must have spent 10+ minutes trying to tune that one jump. In hind sight, I should have just moved the conveyor over one square instead of moving the ON switch all over.

Glad its doable! I was just thinking you blew through it as small Mario while testing lmao

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I'm actually pretty happy how this one turned out! Someone better than me could definitely do more with the theme (and I'm sure several have), but I enjoyed making it.

88C-3SK-0NG

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
Okay, second level attempt. Virtually got rid of the enemy spam, but still a lot of precise jumping, but this time with coin trails as guides for what you gotta do. Mostly using the idea of holding B to get extra height to make it up certain walls and over gaps and chaining those jumps together.

Hippity Hoppity

VW8 - F36 - S9G

It still uses some Rocky Wrenches as jump boosters, but they should be far enough off screen that they won't activate until you need to for the jumps, so there shouldn't be any stray wrenchs flying around as far as I'm able to tell.

Circle Nine fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 4, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

One-hour blitz entry. Should have been half an hour but I ran into some technical difficulties.

The Fab Four
JJY-K3K-X1G
Theme: Desert
Required:Enemies and Gizmo, Forbidden:Block and Powerup

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 4, 2019

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I just discovered that the superball can trigger POW blocks and P-Switches. The former is especially useful, since SMB1 Mario can't pick up POW blocks and therefore can't usually do much with them.

Also, Big Mario can trigger ON/OFF blocks by jumping on them.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 4, 2019

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

DorianGravy posted:

Fun level. I agree that the guide coins in the final section with the bullet bills could be a little clearer. I couldn't see where the next platform was, and it wound up killing me. (You can sort of see it on your ascent, but I doubt most people will pay attention to that.)

Also, does anyone else get (very slightly) stressed when playing the "clear your course" section before uploading your course? Even though my levels aren't that hard and I play them a bunch when making them, I suddenly feel "oh, better not mess up, this is for real!" when doing the playtest before uploading.

Not when playing but it's a bit scary when I get close to finish making a level.
Doesn't happen often but there's always a chance I might exceed the item limit.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Main Paineframe posted:

I just discovered that the superball can trigger POW blocks and P-Switches. The former is especially useful, since SMB1 Mario can't pick up POW blocks and therefore can't usually do anything with them.

Also, Big Mario can trigger ON/OFF blocks by jumping on them.

I wish Monty Moles could trigger ON/OFF blocks, that would've been so useful :mad:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Couple things I didn't realize at first, but now REALLY appreciate about this game:

A) You can not only save your Endless mode progress whenever you want, but also separately based on difficulty! Neat!

2) You can somewhat easily track down a great level you loved in Endless, so as to download it or at least save the code! In Course World, if you press X or Y (whatever one is next to your Mii), it'll show your whole profile, including levels you've played and/or liked. This might be nothing to other people, maybe they already knew, but holy poo poo, is this helpful. I played an awesome train level, and didn't screenshot the code beforehand, thinking I could just do it later. I couldn't, from Endless mode, but easily found it on my profile. So happy.

Does anyone know how far back your play history goes?

Again, these are likely things everyone already knows, and that's fine. I'm just sharing the love of this game, because I truly, truly love this game.

I seriously don't need another Switch game.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Thanks for the feedback on 1, 2, Jump! everyone. I’ll try to do a better job of keeping things more fast paced and telegraph platforms better next time I do a sky level.

I’m currently bummed out that you can’t set a clear condition of never touching a specific enemy. I wanted to make a stage where you could never touch a Bully and call it “Zero Tolerance Policy” but alas.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Finally got my level completed!

Mario in the Whale

0QS-1LC-CCG

The local whale has a case of tape-worms...Help Dr. Mario make a house call!

This was a real challenge to put together, and of course there are elements I'm not 100% happy with. I think the theme is something rather unique though, hope you enjoy!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
You ever have a level that sounds good on paper then totally falls apart in execution?

That was my jam level. Back to the drawing board. :negative:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I checked the worldwide leaderboard and weekly makes no goddamn sense. It's just a mashup of random numbers in no order- often not even displaying correctly. Set it to all-time and :stare:

Didn't think I'd be that high up????
I just really like Making Mario's :negative:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I have not encountered two identical stages where all they contain is one jump from the start at the highest location and then you have to execute a perfect jump to the flag pole. Such a lazy concept it was done twice.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My take on the jam is that you should role for style not theme (e.g. SMB1/3/W etc). The theme of the level should be the same for everyone and you should get a randomly rolled subtheme to work in with it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Your Bobombs ruined my Christmas
B72-WSP-2WG

This level is a series of small tasks based around use of Bob-ombs. I designed the level in such a way that while there are threats and you can die, it's fairly forgiving about making sure you avoid any outright softlocks.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Kid Icarus 1-1
BFW-01W-P2G

I recreated the first course of Kid Icarus as well as I could in Mario Maker. Sadly I ran out of doors to do the screen wrap thing, so the last section where it's mandatory in the original, I just give you a pipe that shoots out fire flowers and you can smash the bricks. Some of the jumps are a bit goofy, but it's A) possible to make it even if you break the brick blocks B) in service of the recreation C) too bad because I ran out of vertical room with barely enough space for the exit.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
First off, thanks for the feedback earlier! Glad people are enjoying my levels!

Speaking of which, I made a quick and dirty star level. Should only take a few seconds to play, but might be fun for speedrunning I guess?

Name: Smash the Airships!

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Swimming the Spiny Sewer
Q94-T6H-2WG

Here's another simple stage I cooked up. Someone check it out and let me know how bad it is.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Played a couple of random levels today so i'll give some quickfire feedback

Dusty Cavern by Chronojam - 9CV GB4 40H
Coin collection courses are excellent for encouraging exploration in stages, that being said its a small stage with not much exploration, still nice tho.

Boom Boom's Doom Hoome by Dork475 - RXF H1Q GRF
Great name, I'm surprised Mario can pull off horror aesthetics pretty well. I one shotted it but there were a couple tricky parts.

Slope Slidin' Away by Evil Eagle - 325 M15 C5G
Great level, uses speed well, worth a play, and if you're interested in fighting for speedrun records, it's worth several hundred.

Airship Panic by The Lobster - MX8 NYN R5G
I wouldn't call it FIENDISHLY difficult, but nicely difficult. SMW goombas are cool and its great to use one to rapidly kill enemies, I should make a level like that.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Nep-Nep posted:

Your Bobombs ruined my Christmas
B72-WSP-2WG

This level is a series of small tasks based around use of Bob-ombs. I designed the level in such a way that while there are threats and you can die, it's fairly forgiving about making sure you avoid any outright softlocks.

This was well put together but it would have been good if you had checkpoints after the first and second coin instead of a pointless one right at the end. These kind of tasks are fun once but a chore to replay.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
V9R-7GG-XNF

My kid made this, I don't know if he stole it from somewhere but I thought it was a great idea. I told him I'd tell other people about it.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Athanatos posted:

V9R-7GG-XNF

My kid made this, I don't know if he stole it from somewhere but I thought it was a great idea. I told him I'd tell other people about it.

Pretty simple but fun to try to speed run. I got a pretty good time but I had to turn back a bit so I'm sure someone can beat me.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

You asked for this. I present... Elmo's Suffering. I tried to find new ways to make hammer bros scary, but not horse poo poo. I'll be getting to the next suggestion when I have time on the weekend.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

J-Spot posted:

This was well put together but it would have been good if you had checkpoints after the first and second coin instead of a pointless one right at the end. These kind of tasks are fun once but a chore to replay.

Originally I had a checkpoint after the second, but if you die after that checkpoint it resets your pink coins. It didn't occur to me at the time, but I could have instead gated the first checkpoint behind a key and then had pink coins for the end, but I'll take that thought with me into future levels rather than remake this one.

The final checkpoint is just I didn't want someone to be screwed if they somehow managed to go through the key door as small mario and wait right over the bob-omb, which would have caused damage.

Thanks for the feedback since that did give me that idea for how to avoid that issue in the future.

NeekBerm
Jun 25, 2004

Who are you calling chicken?

College Slice
Wall Jump Slam Jam
XGY-3W5-7MG

Made this dumb level focused around dumb wall jumps. The wall jumping in this game can be a little bit squirrelly at times, but I think a decently skilled player can get though it.

Is it too hard? Maybe!
Is it fun? Also Maybe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

eonwe posted:

535-CFS-QDG - Ski Lift Shutdown

One of the best jobs I've seen of conveying a 'theme' with that Ski Lift breaking down in the level

Thanks!

Doomykins posted:

Ski Lift Shutdown (535-CFS-QDG) by Phantasium: The switch jumps are designed for dashing speed and height but the enemies on the first two dashing switch jumps cycle to break it so often I start each attempt on a real sour note. Great intro and thanks for putting the checkpoint right after it for those that just want to clear the course at all!

Yeah I knew if I didn't put a checkpoint there the humor of the opening bit would be quickly replaced with tedium.