Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

poo poo. Wonder if this is a spy sub or that weird commerical nuke sub they were building.

Just passing this along for those that can use it. From Midnight at Chernobyl:

Non-nuke, apparently. A sub made for mapping the seafloor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

ought ten posted:

Non-nuke, apparently. A sub made for mapping the seafloor.

The AS-12 Losharik is the boat Russian news reported, isn't it? If so it's a nuke boat designed to gently caress around with undersea cables and all that jazz.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

S E V E N O R B S

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The boat apparently only has 25 crew so they came pretty close to losing the entire thing.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ah, that's embarrassing. The Losharik is the crown jewel of the Russian Secret Squirrel navy. It can dive very deep and can be launched and recovered by the two mothership subs.

Would *not* want a fire in that environment. The covert shores article linked estimates the vessel has the interior square footage of the average house, with spherical cabins, and a crew capacity of up to 35?

Speaking of embarrassing: https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/2018/01/fight-between-ministry-and-shipyard-over-top-secret-spy-sub-comes-surface

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

standard.deviant posted:

“Papers Please but you’re a supply NCO in a unit preparing to return from a deployment.”

That one WW2 dockyard pass to "all areas" for the purpose of "duties" .jpg

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Putin posted:

Seven out of the 14 dead are first-class captains, two are Heroes of Russia.

That seems... top heavy. Does anyone who knows and can say think this is a mistranslation?

(I'm using this which is Reuters)

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Captain Postal posted:

That seems... top heavy. Does anyone who knows and can say think this is a mistranslation?

This is a purge, isn't it.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

shame on an IGA posted:

That one WW2 dockyard pass to "all areas" for the purpose of "duties" .jpg

Smiling Jack posted:

Take a moment to remember this absolute fuckin legend

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Warbadger posted:

The AS-12 Losharik is the boat Russian news reported, isn't it? If so it's a nuke boat designed to gently caress around with undersea cables and all that jazz.

That's what I get for quoting breaking news stories.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That article about not having flat walls due to spherical shape assumes that you can’t use interior walls of anykind and is a bit of a weird quip.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

That article about not having flat walls due to spherical shape assumes that you can’t use interior walls of anykind and is a bit of a weird quip.

I mean you could but space is going to be at a premium on a sub, no?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Arma 2 with about nine million mods, and the file is long gone, sorry.

It's not tough to do though. Making the janky enemy AI behave is always the hard part, so not putting in any opfor solves a lot of problems.

Had to check really so thanks anyway.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

feedmegin posted:

I mean you could but space is going to be at a premium on a sub, no?

Well, I mean you must have equipment space somewhere. Did they put all that poo poo directly against the sphere or build it out from the walls, I wonder. Sounds like the Losharik is carried by a mothership, so they might not need too much storage for the, presumably, short trips twenty five guys are going to take in the thing. Two shitters and a microwave, no sauna on this baby.

Obligatory, "So I heard you like submarines, so we put a sub on your sub!"

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Captain Postal posted:

"This is not a regular vessel ... it's a scientific research vessel. It's a highly professional crew," he said.

Bullshit. Its a spy vessel.

Used to either tap undersea cables or what not.

Scientific research vessels typically are not "top secret".

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

EvilMerlin posted:

"This is not a regular vessel ... it's a scientific research vessel. It's a highly professional crew," he said.

Bullshit. Its a spy vessel.

Used to either tap undersea cables or what not.

Scientific research vessels typically are not "top secret".

They could, in theory be doing more mundane tasks but yeah, it's the latest in a long line of small submersibles for spy work. The spy subs and their two motherships are one place where Russian capabilities are in fact world-class - AFAIK the only other navy with dedicated spy subs is the USN.

While trying to find out about subs: China's head naval architect for subs has been arrested and expelled from the communist party for supposedly having dual Chinese-Canadian citizenship

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nebakenezzer posted:

While trying to find out about subs: China's head naval architect for subs has been arrested and expelled from the communist party for supposedly having dual Chinese-Canadian citizenship

Makes sense, don’t want him following in Canada’s footsteps with submarine acquisitions.

Funny we’re so poo poo not even the Chinese saw an espionage opportunity there.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
It would have been nice if some Canadian officer with gambling debts had sold info related to the Victoria class to the Chinese, wouldn't it?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Mortabis posted:

It would have been nice if some Canadian officer with gambling debts had sold info related to the Victoria class to the Chinese, wouldn't it?

It would have pushed them back a decade at least!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

It would have pushed them back a decade at least!

I don't think it'd work; once you have the Kilo class, you have a line for saying "and your submarine should be this good"

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Mortabis posted:

Oh it wasn't gambling. It was some sort of MMO or other online game.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Fearless posted:

Oh it wasn't gambling. It was some sort of MMO or other online game.

They (the russians) gave him an xbox too iirc

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
It was EVE Online, because of course it was.

IMO, the real inciting event in that case was his wife admitting she was pregnant by another man, didn't love him, and had married him for financial stability. I've heard that most spies have some sort of dissatisfaction, disappointment, or trauma, and that would probably qualify. He's like the archetype of a r/redpill story, except he decided to spy for the GRU instead of posting frog memes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Dead Reckoning posted:

IMO, the real inciting event in that case was his wife admitting she was pregnant by another man, didn't love him, and had married him for financial stability. I've heard that most spies have some sort of dissatisfaction, disappointment, or trauma, and that would probably qualify. He's like the archetype of a r/redpill story, except he decided to spy for the GRU instead of posting frog memes.

Yep. There's a whole checklist of poo poo that are big red flags for anyone with a trusted position, but the biggies are money problems, drug/alcohol problems, and relationship problems. Basically anything that could make someone detach from the normal things that prevent you from doing lovely stuff that might send you to jail or that open them up to blackmail.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Dead Reckoning posted:

Are you being serious? I hadn't heard EVE was involved, but of course it would be. Google search mentions video games but not eve.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Kesper North posted:

Are you being serious? I hadn't heard EVE was involved, but of course it would be. Google search mentions video games but not eve.

IIRC, he had run up debts buying some sort of MMO currency, and I'm pretty sure it was EVE, but the article from way back on the first page of my posts in this thread is a dead link now.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Derek Lowe caught something amusing: The Russians built a fake Sarin lab to show how all the chemical attacks in Syria were terrorists and false flags.

vital quote:

quote:

As the Bellingcat link shows, though, this makes no sense. You will learn a good deal about the manufacture of Sarin from that article – more, perhaps, than you might have wanted to know, although it’s all very much in the public domain. The parts that are classified tend to be things like “How not to generate a waste stream of hot hydrogen fluoride mixed in with your nerve agent”, and the thought of that mixture should make your hair stand on end. Let’s just say, for starters, that you are not going to run such chemistry in a modified cement mixer.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

quote:

waste stream of hot hydrogen fluoride mixed in with your nerve agent

holy gently caress

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

More on that Russian sub fire; the Russians are reporting that the fire started in the battery compartment.

quote:

The ministry has now named all 14 victims, and all were senior officers. Seven were first-rank captains, including two with Hero of Russia awards; three were second-rank captains; two were third-rank captains; one was a captain-lieutenant and one a lieutenant-colonel.

A first-rank captain comes fifth in the Russian naval hierarchy, after four ranks of admiral. After three ranks of captain comes the rank of captain-lieutenant.

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008
Hah, somebody took a glance at wikipedia and read it just the way its presented.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_ranks_and_insignia_of_the_Russian_Federation

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I guess when you have more captains than ships you have to septuple up?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Airliners have catastrophic failures on roughly one flight in ten million-ish. Space launches are one in a hundred-ish. So call it about six orders of magnitude. It's a tall order.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wow there are no less than four naval ranks that include the word captain in the Russian navy. What a time to be alive.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

We must not have a captain gap!

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
A similarly, there are 4 lieutenant ranks in the Dutch navy. 3rd class (equivalent army 2lt), 2nd class (army 1lt), 2nd class senior category (army captain),1st class (army major). Then there's captain-lieutenant (army lieutenant colonel) before you get to captain (army colonel).

Such a mess.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
So the Russian Navy is like a Captain Morgan commercial?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Arglebargle III posted:

Wow there are no less than four naval ranks that include the word captain in the Russian navy. What a time to be alive.

That's not unusual. The Germans have five

Kapitän-leutnant
Stabskapitän-leutnant
Korvetten-kapitän
Fregatten-kapitän
Kapitän zur See

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Come on, we have six kinds of generals and probably like fifty sergeants.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

China is expanding its cultural genocide project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain von Trapp posted:

Come on, we have six kinds of generals and probably like fifty sergeants.

Nah we just have Brigadier General , Major General , Lieutenant General, and finally General. That’s all there is for generals. It’s the navy that has the weird officer ranks.