Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
If I want a challenge of a level to be controlled ducking and sliding on ice to avoid threats, is there any good way to make sure players are Big Mario to make sure that they play within the idea of the level, and not just being baby Mario the entire time and entirely avoiding the challenge, without just throwing in super mushrooms everywhere?

I could make a point where you need to be big to be able to take a hit to get past something, but there isn't a super great way to communicate that until they've gotten to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Something I wish they would change in multiplayer is doing something about how goal based levels work because otherwise your best bet is to rush for the goal and stand there and hope everyone else does the work for you.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Okay I decided to do another stream. Feel free to join, I even did the bot thing so I can have a real queue

https://www.twitch.tv/saiyanprideparade

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Circle Nine posted:

If I want a challenge of a level to be controlled ducking and sliding on ice to avoid threats, is there any good way to make sure players are Big Mario to make sure that they play within the idea of the level, and not just being baby Mario the entire time and entirely avoiding the challenge, without just throwing in super mushrooms everywhere?

I could make a point where you need to be big to be able to take a hit to get past something, but there isn't a super great way to communicate that until they've gotten to that point.

Force them to take a mushroom at the start and add a "don't get hit" condition.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Artix posted:

Force them to take a mushroom at the start and add a "don't get hit" condition.

Oh yeah totally forgot about that condition, thanks.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

There's a finish the course as Super Mario condition also.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I checked the worldwide leaderboard and weekly makes no goddamn sense. It's just a mashup of random numbers in no order- often not even displaying correctly. Set it to all-time and :stare:

Didn't think I'd be that high up????
I just really like Making Mario's :negative:

Nothing about leaderboards or medals makes sense. If you look at the WR leaderboards as an example, the numbers line up, but check every profile in the top 100 and not a single person has even a standard bronze medal for the WR category. In fact until recently not even the top 3 players had the global medals with the ribbons, only 1st place did.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wanted to make a semi-tough mini-challenge level. There's some ways to really have your way with it if you're used to 3D Worlds moveset (or keep a certain power up) so I'm really excited to see what kinds of times people get :shobon:

If I download a bunch of goon stages will I be able to rate them even if I play them offline? Won't be making anything for a day or two so wanting to stock up. If I gotta wait to rate them when I get a chance I will though :v:

Violen posted:

Nothing about leaderboards or medals makes sense. If you look at the WR leaderboards as an example, the numbers line up, but check every profile in the top 100 and not a single person has even a standard bronze medal for the WR category. In fact until recently not even the top 3 players had the global medals with the ribbons, only 1st place did.

Yeah, I think the weekly ones are just flat out broken. All-Time seem to at least make some semblance of sense.

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
Oh hi thread.

Dandy Dunes - DKL-P27-GTF I never mentioned this before, but I was really disappointed when there was no Mario 3 desert theme in the original game.

Banzai Expressway - TKM-9C3-LCG How about those Banzai Bills, huh? Really makes this feel like Mario World.

Thwomps and Heat - Y9S-Q3F-XVF And you can actually separate rooms now. Very cool.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

First thing I ever make, inspired by playing a story mode course and realizing the fire clown car exists

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nep-Nep posted:

Something I wish they would change in multiplayer is doing something about how goal based levels work because otherwise your best bet is to rush for the goal and stand there and hope everyone else does the work for you.

This doesn't work. You can't achieve the goal unless you do it personally. :ssh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I love the backgrounds of the 3D theme, but everything else about that style bugs me (aside from the clear pipes). I think it's because everything seems way too big.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I love the backgrounds of the 3D theme, but everything else about that style bugs me (aside from the clear pipes). I think it's because everything seems way too big.

Giant Meowser takes like 5 million blocks it's insane

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

So, I'd been spending my free time since SMM2 came out working on this single course, and I finally finished it tonight. I tried to put a lot of love and creativity into it, but I know it still isn't perfect for a few reasons, the biggest being the course is pretty much too long for a one-try clear on the first playthrough unless you are pretty quick on your feet. I do apologize for that.

I tried to look for and fix as many softlock conditions as possible, so please let me know if you find another. Also, some of the boss battles can get... messy, as well. I struggled mainly with trying to balance how many baddies were in each area to keep the challenge while also not making it unreasonable.

Overall though, I hope some of you give it a try I'd love to hear your thoughts on how I did and what I could do better!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
this took me like a week to finish lmao but i had a good time making it so i hope it's at least kinda fun! i wanted to lean on the easy side because i'm not that good at 2d mario myself

Toadtown Block Museum
S2N-1C1-FYG

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I made a jam level based around using switches to control light sources in a dark area, along with some other mechanics I found along the way (like using a superball to trigger POW blocks and P switches).

Light Switch Slam
06D-H4B-SFG

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Looper posted:

this took me like a week to finish lmao but i had a good time making it so i hope it's at least kinda fun! i wanted to lean on the easy side because i'm not that good at 2d mario myself

Toadtown Block Museum
S2N-1C1-FYG

I liked it. My only problem with it is something that's more to do with a flaw in Mario Maker than with what you did: The level is quite long without checkpoints. The tight jumps in the donut block section were a slight problem for instance, and I could see one or two deaths there turning a few people off. Sadly wish Mario Maker allowed checkpoints in these sort of stages as that would completely mitigate this problem.

Otherwise I liked the varied platforming challenges that were present. with the exception of a couple of deaths of aforementioned donut block section I felt like any mistakes I made were mine, which I feel like is a good sign for a level. It's good!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

...well that and the giant turn block doesn't have rounded edges. Which is blasphemy! BLASPHEMY!

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

DalaranJ posted:

Here we go:

Theme
5-6:Sky........

Items,
Block: Cloud
Powerup: Super Mushroom
Enemies: Blooper and/or Buzzy Beetle
Gizmo: Arrow Sign

2:Required:Block and Enemies, Forbidden:Powerup and Gizmo

Just did a 30 minute blitz course. Tried to make the standard course with enemy pits and cloud themed platforming that was tricky but easy with the big multicoins tough/risky to get. I think I succeeded?

27N-YP3-55G

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Didn't see the manually load your levels to the mario maker spreadsheet, so I just added all mine.

Point is, remember to add to the spreadsheet!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Not sure about the difficulty on this because the Magikoopas can throw some curveballs...

Trials and Incantations

Q9V-NL7-90H

And my previous one is here if anyone missed it

Fly! Or Die!

M8S-TTQ-QNF

Do we have to edit the spreadsheet to add it to the goon list? I didn’t see any way to edit it

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Doing my one and only bump for my new level, since I realized posting it super early in the morning means it's likely to be missed!

Molehill Mania: 4V3-J96-LXG

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
L5Y-XHV-Q1H "Spring High!" - A level I made to celebrate the humble spring.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Spiffster posted:

Not sure about the difficulty on this because the Magikoopas can throw some curveballs...

Trials and Incantations

Q9V-NL7-90H

Fly! Or Die!

M8S-TTQ-QNF

Do we have to edit the spreadsheet to add it to the goon list? I didn’t see any way to edit it

For Trials: The randomness of the Magikoopas was a little annoying, but not to bad once you figure out how to manipulate them to get them to do what they want to do. I did really like how the rest of the areas were set up though, I'm a pretty big sucker for P-switch races in particular. ...I kinda wished I played this stage with sound on when I got to that part but hey, complete luck won out in the end! Good stage.

For Fly: Short and sweet. At first I thought it was going to be a stage where were expected to die and trial-and-error your way through it but once I figured out how to dodge the first enemy it ended up fine.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Sen's Fortress
0NK-XFH-CHG
Level themed after the Dark Souls zone of the same name.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Plebian Parasite posted:

Airship Panic by The Lobster - MX8 NYN R5G
I wouldn't call it FIENDISHLY difficult, but nicely difficult. SMW goombas are cool and its great to use one to rapidly kill enemies, I should make a level like that.

Thanks for the review! This was my first level (since MM1 several years ago) and I just liked how the phrase "fiendishly difficult" sounded. I don't think this is one of my better levels now but it's still OK! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Impermanent posted:

I really like this stage. Vertical stages so far have been underutilized (granted for good reason, it is in a widescreen format) but I felt like you did a good job of not have gotcha traps as I sprang upwards in the stage. You also didn't make me do the bane of Super Mario Maker/SMW romhacks and make me carry a spring somewhere, so you get points regardless. The only criticism I can think of is unfair since I don't know how you'd solve this problem, but it's easy to accidentally grab a springboard as you are going up the stage. It looks like you thought of that since at no point you have to cross large horizontal gaps, so perhaps this is a weak point. Regardless, I did really really like this stage.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Spiffster posted:

Trials and Incantations

Q9V-NL7-90H

Fly! Or Die!

M8S-TTQ-QNF

Add new levels using the form: https://forms.gle/35zuhSVaqScATRSJ9
The link is also above the spreadsheet link in post 3, it has :krakken: directly above it.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Impermanent posted:

Was able to clear it and really liked the spring format. Had to teach myself not to hold down that run button though because on the way up I kept grabbing the spring and loving myself over. Nice climb to the top and a few hidden bits in there were nice.

Good job

DalaranJ posted:

Add new levels using the form: https://forms.gle/35zuhSVaqScATRSJ9
The link is also above the spreadsheet link in post 3, it has :krakken: directly above it.

Thanks!

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 5, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Another bit of goofiness that exists more to be silly than anything else.

Temple Trials
D69-9M5-3KF

Sorry for the lack of a reset door in the first puzzle, but it's a two stage thing and resetting after the first stage just leaves the exit open. But it's the first room so if you screw it up it's not bad to start over. To make up for that, there's an easy way to beat the final boss that I found and decided to leave in for anyone who was clever enough to go for it. The checkpoints might seem to be in slightly weird places but they're making your life easier where they are. Also, run at the second conveyor belt. You don't have to, but you'll be happier if you do.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Did I do my Blitz wrong? I randomized the style, theme, day/night, terrain blocks, enemies, gizmos, and forbidden blocks all via random.org.

I rolled all this:

Style: SMB3
Theme: Desert
Day/Night: Night
Terrain: Steep Slopes, Ice Blocks
Enemies: Spiny, Muncher
Gizmo: Bumper
Power Up: Invincibility Star
Forbidden: Cheep-cheep, Checkpoint flag

I was sort of basing it as though it were a poor man's version of the widget that used to exist for MM1.

However, had I understood what I was supposed to be doing, it would have been more like:

Style: NSMBU
Day/Night: Day

Theme: Underground
Terrain: Cloud Block
Forbidden Enemies: Blooper and/or Buzzy Beetle
Forbidden Gizmos: Arrow Sign
Power-Up: Super Mushroom

Italicized means I randomized that part myself because I didn't see anything about what style and time of day we were using.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 5, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The Lobster posted:

Did I do my Blitz wrong? I randomized the style, theme, day/night, terrain blocks, enemies, gizmos, and forbidden blocks all via random.org.

I rolled all this:

Style: SMB3
Theme: Desert
Day/Night: Night
Terrain: Steep Slopes, Ice Blocks
Enemies: Spiny, Muncher
Gizmo: Bumper
Power Up: Invincibility Star
Forbidden: Cheep-cheep, Checkpoint flag

I was sort of basing it as though it were a poor man's version of the widget that used to exist for MM1.

However, had I understood what I was supposed to be doing, it would have been more like:

Style: NSMBU
Day/Night: Day

Theme: Underground
Terrain: Cloud Block
Forbidden Enemies: Blooper and/or Buzzy Beetle
Forbidden Gizmos: Arrow Sign
Power-Up: Super Mushroom

Italicized means I randomized that part myself because I didn't see anything about what style and time of day we were using.

That's right, I'm doing all the work to replace the MM1 widget for the official Blitzes. Of course, you can use the same method yourself if it helps inspire you.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

That's right, I'm doing all the work to replace the MM1 widget for the official Blitzes. Of course, you can use the same method yourself if it helps inspire you.

I'm making an idea generator to add to http://randomactsofmario.com, from what I understand it should give you the following to make it work with blitzes, right?

- Game
- Theme
- Forbidden Enemy
- Forbidden Item
- Required Enemy
- Required Item

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

DalaranJ posted:

Yeah, I liked making my level tonight, it came out differently to any other level I've ever made or ever would have thought of. That was the glory of that widget.

Does my level still qualify for the Blitz however?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I played through like 50 levels from the spreadsheet and it keeps getting fatter and fatter, so I wasn't expecting to make a level today.

And then I did.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

lunar detritus posted:

I'm making an idea generator to add to http://randomactsofmario.com, from what I understand it should give you the following to make it work with blitzes, right?

- Game
- Theme
- Forbidden Enemy
- Forbidden Item
- Required Enemy
- Required Item

Yeah, with the number of each being able to be varied independantly, and manual toggle through all options for an individual item, and it returns a unique hash in the link so the specific Blitz can be shared.

This is the original widget for reference. https://pokyfriends.com/bkmario/

The Lobster posted:

Does my level still qualify for the Blitz however?

No, it doesn't. I don't want to discourage you from using the method outside of official blitzes though, because it can be a lot of fun.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Made a mario, game real good. Added it to the sheet

Sky Tower Climb
L9R-SHQ-6MG

After seeing some people play it I'm already seeing things I wish I could change without having to entirely reupload it, or places where another power up would have been a good idea.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Koopa Harbour - 4S2-GQT-FYG

My first effort at getting back into the swing of making Marios since the last game.

I think I messed up when putting it in the spreadsheet, it's not supposed to be for a blitz.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

DalaranJ posted:

Yeah, with the number of each being able to be varied independantly, and manual toggle through all options for an individual item, and it returns a unique hash in the link so the specific Blitz can be shared.

This is the original widget for reference. https://pokyfriends.com/bkmario/

No, it doesn't. I don't want to discourage you from using the method outside of official blitzes though, because it can be a lot of fun.

Fair enough. Gonna have to remove the Blitz 0 tag from it on the spreadsheet then. Too bad I misunderstood because it's easily my most creative level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Been thinking of ideas on how to make a multiplayer level, versus or otherwise. What would be a good way to maybe have a level where there are multiple doors but only one player can enter a door or the area behind it at least? Or in general have a split path like that? Also what ways are there to have changes that affect the entire level? Been thinking of an idea where the players split up and do their individual challenges, but each, or at least most of the, paths have something like the switches or p-blocks that the players on their own paths need to use but also change the other one's in some way that makes them more challenging (having blocks make jumps harder/tighter or letting enemies out).