Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That's not what I said and you know it.

you're terrible at communicating your (stupid) thoughts so don't get mad when people point it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Home isn't going to have battling.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Here comes the spicy take:

This would be fine if USUM to SwSh was like the jump from Monster Hunters Generations to Monster Hunter World. But it is not. It's the jump between Monster Hunters Generations to Generations Ultimate.

For those of us that don't care about Monster Hunter, what does this mean?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Vandar posted:

An incremental upgrade rather than a major sea change of a game.

Edit: to be clear, I'm not signing on to the hot take, just translating it

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I just can't picture this happening.

The first thing that comes to mind is that then the format in VGC gets messed too much with. Home format should absolutely be present, it's the one that has everything. But it's just a showdown-esque simulator so that doesn't play well on stream. People can go in with just their phones, no need to buy anything else to get competitive and most players would thus want to play on Home rather than SwSh.
You don't allow Home to be played on VGC? Then SwSh feels even more incomplete because you're paying the extra for the animations, but you're locked on what you can use compared to Home.

On top of that, raising Pokemon becomes a big question since they have stated that nothing Gen 7 or prior can come back from Home, so if you upload a pokemon but need to mix around its attacks or EVs, you gotta make a whole new pokemon and upload it.

Yeah, the next VGCs are going to be interesting, in either a bad or a good way. And honestly, I am not exactly expecting 'good'.
If breeding also takes a hit then...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Vandar posted:

MH World became Capcom's best selling game of all time (from any of their franchises) by introducing a slew of quality of life improvements and generally on boarding new players much better than any previous iteration.

However, in doing so it trimmed some features and simplified others, which rankled some series veterans (although nothing like what the pokemon community is experiencing).

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Annath posted:

MH World became Capcom's best selling game of all time (from any of their franchises) by introducing a slew of quality of life improvements and generally on boarding new players much better than any previous iteration.

However, in doing so it trimmed some features and simplified others, which rankled some series veterans (although nothing like what the pokemon community is experiencing).

Actually, one of the biggest complaints I've seen about MHW is content. MHGU has TONS of monsters from across the series, and MHW's roster is a fraction of what's been in previous games. It is beloved for a lot of reasons, but tons of vets have stuck with MHGU, while others have moved on. Both games exist simultaneously with different audiences.

It's actually a pretty apt comparison.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
On top of what everyone's saying, there's the graphical jump. Generations is a 3DS pretty game with its limitations, and Generations Ultimate is a fairly pretty Switch game. Far improved textures, and lighting and such. World is a gorgeous PS4/Xbone game with all the AAA shine involved. Generations Ultimate is the game that just adds to what the franchise has done since forever, World changes so much that creatures needed to be cut (and get added with an expansion instead of a whole new game)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Annath posted:

Except its already been determined by datamining Lets Go E/P that they already did the work to port all 800-odd pokemon, including stats, moves, etc. They're all in LG E/P, just not available for use.

Masuda has given reasons, they're just bullshit ones.

Pokemon themselves, as in the stats, their abilities, an individual mon's base stats, etc., are relatively simple and easy to carry over. A ".pkmn" file is just used to generate a monster, their strength in battle, and some other values like Pokemon ID, region of origin, and so on, and in the end the file size is rather small. Same goes for moves - they're just damage values and other effects. Neither of these things include the actual models or animations, and if you try to load a .pkmn file of a later gen Pokemon in Let's Go, the game renders it as a Marowak.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I already explained this. Now that people have gone as far as stuff like making up rape allegations almost any complaint is seen as movement towards something similar or worse happening again in the future. It's not reasonable, it's just the way people work. :shrug:

It's ok to not like the new Ghostbusters even though also a bunch of dumb assholes hate it because they hate women.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

All of these are good boys tbh. Would pet.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

the designs for this gen are good as hell and it makes me sad that I'm planning on waiting until the second half of the generation to see if anything changes for it because the mons are really cool and good

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly I only care that all my favorite Pokes are in the game (which they assuredly will be) so maybe we can all stop whining about the dumbest poo poo possible

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

Pokemon themselves, as in the stats, their abilities, an individual mon's base stats, etc., are relatively simple and easy to carry over. A ".pkmn" file is just used to generate a monster, their strength in battle, and some other values like Pokemon ID, region of origin, and so on, and in the end the file size is rather small. Same goes for moves - they're just damage values and other effects. Neither of these things include the actual models or animations, and if you try to load a .pkmn file of a later gen Pokemon in Let's Go, the game renders it as a Marowak.

So you've said multiple times that models and all that are the hard stuff but we already know the models exist and what we've seen is that the game isn't particularly advanced enough in graphics to justify "it's hard" as being an excuse. I don't care if it's hard, cut back on the gimmick poo poo that doesn't enhance the primary aspect of the gameplay if something's gotta go. This is what I, and presumably many people who aren't happy, disdain.

There are very few Pokemon which need to be utterly useless, such as Unown, so why not simply work on making them better as they've done with Mega Evolutions? That's infinitely more interesting.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Nodosaur posted:

Somehow I missed this but it owns that it specifically renders a Marowak

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Golden Gael posted:

So you've said multiple times that models and all that are the hard stuff but we already know the models exist and what we've seen is that the game isn't particularly advanced enough in graphics to justify "it's hard" as being an excuse. I don't care if it's hard, cut back on the gimmick poo poo that doesn't enhance the primary aspect of the gameplay if something's gotta go. This is what I, and presumably many people who aren't happy, disdain.

There are very few Pokemon which need to be utterly useless, such as Unown, so why not simply work on making them better as they've done with Mega Evolutions? That's infinitely more interesting.

I don't think you understand that work on a title like this (or any title) is more than just a matter of how "advanced" the images or the technology is. Just being on an HD system requires a hefty investment of time, because it's not a matter of "right click, drag, run on more powerful hardware". To say nothing of the new resources being made.

"Cut back on the gimmick poo poo"? What does that even mean? People have spent the last decade making GBS threads on Gamefreak for doing exactly that with stuff like following Pokemon and secret bases. What is it then? Do you want Gamefreak to keep stuff or take it out?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

It's fun watching people pine for Mega Evolutions to return when I remember endless debates that Megas were overdesigned and looked too much like Digimon when they came out.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

I don't think you understand that work on a title like this (or any title) is more than just a matter of how "advanced" the images or the technology is. Just being on an HD system requires a hefty investment of time, because it's not a matter of "right click, drag, run on more powerful hardware". To say nothing of the new resources being made.

"Cut back on the gimmick poo poo"? What does that even mean? People have spent the last decade making GBS threads on Gamefreak for doing exactly that with stuff like following Pokemon and secret bases. What is it then? Do you want Gamefreak to keep stuff or take it out?

The animations for old pokemon are the same ones as in LGPE, and the other 3D games.
Remember when LGPE was supposed to be their entry into HD development?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Most of my frustration stems from being unimpressed with the Sun Moon part of the franchise, and now they're following that up with a serious push onto consoles, but instead of only losing that small feature I loved they're shrinking my pokedex as well.

From unimpressed to annoyed, it hasn't been a great two-three years for Shinjobi and Pokemon.

I sincerely hope everyone enjoys the new games. I'm just being a big curmudgeon, and I'm okay with that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

qnqnx posted:

The animations for old pokemon are the same ones as in LGPE, and the other 3D games.
Remember when LGPE was supposed to be their entry into HD development?

Except they're not - multiple attacks have been adjusted, there's field interactions and battle intros that were likely developed alongside Gen 8, and also: LGPE has like maybe a fifth of all the Pokemon who existed before Sword and Shield.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The hell is that ugly gremlin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FIk_0n5RJQ&t=10s

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Except they're not - multiple attacks have been adjusted, there's field interactions and battle intros that were likely developed alongside Gen 8, and also: LGPE has like maybe a fifth of all the Pokemon who existed before Sword and Shield.

I specifically mentioned the pokemon animations, which LGPE shares with the other 3D games.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Just got through the Sinnoh League, and the battles were really well-done. I could nitpick about Ash's Gible taking too many hits during the fight against Conway, or Ash not calling Liza to bring Charizard over from Johto (instead he ends up using Torkoal against Darkrai). But I really enjoyed all the crazy strategies the trainers used, from Conway's Trick Room shenanigans to Ash apparently teaching Heracross Sleep Talk just to beat Nando.

I do think it's a pity we didn't get some sort of backstory for Tobias; the other characters who have Legendaries (Noland and Brandon) have some sort of explanation for how they got them. Incidentally, I like this theory about Tobias' four unrevealed Pokemon: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemonconspiracies/comments/6x2eg2/the_rest_of_tobias_team_from_the_dp_league/ My alternative theory is that his other four Pokemon are also Legendary/Mythical but are all crap (Phione, Regigigas, etc.), although obviously that's not what the anime writers would have gone with.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Grouchio posted:

The hell is that ugly gremlin?

Impidimp. It was shown off in the E3 demo alongside Yamper. The only thing known about it so far is that it's a Dark/Fairy type.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zuzie posted:

Impidimp. It was shown off in the E3 demo alongside Yamper. The only thing known about it so far is that it's a Dark/Fairy type.

It's also a goofy rear end lil man that looks like he came from DQ and is thus the best poke yet.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I can't wait for SwSh to come out so I can watch 99% of the people who were complaining about it/claiming they won't buy it/etc pre-release happily playing it & pretending their whining never happened, just like they do every other time there's Gamer Rage about some dumb poo poo in (insert game series here).

Bonus points once the followup to SwSh comes out and people realize that Gamefreak really isn't deleting Qwilfish forever.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.pokebeach.com/2019/07/mewtwo-strikes-back-evolution-impressions-changes-and-sequels

Pokebeach's impressions of the remake of the Mewtwo movie. He got a special invite to see the premiere

Dehry fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 5, 2019

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Most of my frustration stems from being unimpressed with the Sun Moon part of the franchise, and now they're following that up with a serious push onto consoles, but instead of only losing that small feature I loved they're shrinking my pokedex as well.
What was wrong with Sun and Moon?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I thought SM felt kind of slow, but I'm not sure if that was a pacing issue or if it was my 3DS desperately chugging through it

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Eiba posted:

Personally I didn't like the shift from Gyms to "trials", and I didn't like how few there were.

I also found whatsisface, Hau, obnoxious.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean there were 7 trials. Not significantly less than gyms.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean there were 7 trials. Not significantly less than gyms.

I mean, technically? But only if you count the lame mini trials, some of which don't actually involve battles.

The Grand Trials are analogous to Gym Leaders, and there's only 4.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
There needed to be less battles in the Trials, imo.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I remember an interview about how the trials were the way they were, and apparently they were added relatively late into development so they couldn't create any new assets for them and had to rely on what they had beforehand. That's why Sophocles's trial in Sun and Moon was basically answering questions in a dark room.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Eiba posted:

Unskippable cutscenes and an awful lot of them

Rotom

1% or super obscure encounters with a ton of cool new Pokemon

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

People are complaining about what's happening with Sword and Shield, but the cracks were showing well before then in Gen 6 and 7.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Annath posted:

I mean, technically? But only if you count the lame mini trials, some of which don't actually involve battles.

The Grand Trials are analogous to Gym Leaders, and there's only 4.

I mean they all have totem battles. I was just sorta confused you said there wasn’t that many because it was only 1 less than you’d get with gyms.

E: Anyway gen VII was among the best games Pokemon has put out.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I really enjoyed most of the trials and thought it was a refreshing change from the gyms

And Hau's a cool dude :byob1:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah I'd rather have something somewhat puzzley or interesting to do followed by a potentially somewhat challenging boss fight in a Trial, rather than just A Room or a room with a dead easy puzzle (or awful teleport pads) followed by pressing A as many times as my opponent has Pokemon in a Gym. Totem Pokemon knocked out more of my Pokemon between Sun and Ultra Moon than Gym Leaders have throughout the whole series.

On the other hand, I may not care for Dynamax but it looks like it could be the best of both worlds as far as Gyms go. Gym with puzzles/trainers followed by a big boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go