Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Eikre posted:

That Slack cancelation has me empathetically incensed, too. I haven't been saddled with Teams yet but I've had to use the outlook365 website and it blows. Everything is so big for the sake of touchacreens, so the information density is cut to a third, and some of their elementary composition choices seem like a backslide in immediate clarity compared to software from 1998. I'll learn whatever tool or technology anyone wants me to and comfortably endure the requisite stupid-rear end design decisions, but when it's one of those extremely basic, principal information portals and there's no room to customize or automate it to get my hands around it, then it just filters my whole world through a cognitive haze for eight hours a day.

I don't know, maybe I'm low-key dyslexic or something.
The admin tools in Office 365 are loving hilarious because they exist simultaneously across "experiences" where Microsoft rolls out their new mobile-focused Modern "experience" and then constantly puts headers everywhere letting you know to check it out because the "Classic experience" is on its way out. Except the Modern pages are absolutely worthless, from taking forever to load because oh drat sorry Chrome screwed up the cookies again, weird that, or like the Exchange Quarantine page which begs you to use the Modern experience in the Compliance & Security tool because Exchange Quarantine will be shuttered in October 2018 and good news if you do because you get to hit refresh on the entire loving page every second email you release because if you filter the email list the refresh emails button only works once -ever-. Or the excellent Modern experience of Sharepoint where basically two-thirds of the features vanish because even though there is already a programmed GUI for them Microsoft wants you to transition into using Powershell, which you will because it's much better than dealing with their web programmers.

My favourite part is the Modern Sharepoint Form experience, where for no apparent reason a multi-line textbox input requires a loving modal pop-in to edit on the desktop because it has to be the same as it would be on a mobile or users would get confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Great googamooga, a project came in; the business wants to host a company-wide two day game jam

* Everyone is included (unless you have a super good reason not to)
* It has to take place on-site on a segregated network while using company hardware
* All workstations have to be isolated from using production data (Network AND local)
* All workstations cannot use enterprise software/resources
* All users cannot use their domain accounts
* No local storage

I'm probably forgetting more requirements, and the only thing we've got going for us is we're not expected to do support on the day, but jesus :psyduck:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Super Slash posted:

Great googamooga, a project came in; the business wants to host a company-wide two day game jam

* Everyone is included (unless you have a super good reason not to)
* It has to take place on-site on a segregated network while using company hardware
* All workstations have to be isolated from using production data (Network AND local)
* All workstations cannot use enterprise software/resources
* All users cannot use their domain accounts
* No local storage

I'm probably forgetting more requirements, and the only thing we've got going for us is we're not expected to do support on the day, but jesus :psyduck:

Twine games it is!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
The most team-building kind of fun is mandatory fun

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

The admin tools in Office 365 are loving hilarious because they exist simultaneously across "experiences" where Microsoft rolls out their new mobile-focused Modern "experience" and then constantly puts headers everywhere letting you know to check it out because the "Classic experience" is on its way out. Except the Modern pages are absolutely worthless, from taking forever to load because oh drat sorry Chrome screwed up the cookies again, weird that, or like the Exchange Quarantine page which begs you to use the Modern experience in the Compliance & Security tool because Exchange Quarantine will be shuttered in October 2018 and good news if you do because you get to hit refresh on the entire loving page every second email you release because if you filter the email list the refresh emails button only works once -ever-. Or the excellent Modern experience of Sharepoint where basically two-thirds of the features vanish because even though there is already a programmed GUI for them Microsoft wants you to transition into using Powershell, which you will because it's much better than dealing with their web programmers.

My favourite part is the Modern Sharepoint Form experience, where for no apparent reason a multi-line textbox input requires a loving modal pop-in to edit on the desktop because it has to be the same as it would be on a mobile or users would get confused.

PowerShell is the intended administration method, and will continue to be. Get on or get out.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Or the excellent Modern experience of Sharepoint where basically two-thirds of the features vanish because even though there is already a programmed GUI for them Microsoft wants you to transition into using Powershell, which you will because it's much better than dealing with their web programmers.

I was interested in Sharepoint a little bit ago because management is keen on it and it seemed like I could consolidate a bunch of janky-rear end bespoke forms and tools that we use for workflow right now; I figured "okay, I've heard it's lovely, but windows 10 is lovely in a way I can tolerate just fine, and I do hate that outlook experience but I've also been spoiled by twenty years of superior IMAP clients, plus I understand that powershell is a big thing with it and the whole point is that it's customizable so if I'm in on the ground floor then..."

and then somebody showed me a site that they had hacked together as a proof of concept but that they were very proud of; it had about ten lines of information per 1080p screen and that loving text box that took perceptible fractions of a second to load popped in and I got a pain my chest that I haven't felt since that time my girlfriend determined she was a lesbian.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Renegret posted:

I had a laptop come in smashed to bits, with practically every internal competent thrown into a ziplock bag. The customer would only say "My baby got to it!" and refused to give any more details. I asked her if she was sure her baby wasn't actually a grizzly bear in disguise and she, for some mysterious reason, got really offended.

The best I can think of is that it got ran over by a car, but even then I wouldn't expect it to be in pieces like that. Maybe dropped from several stories up? The heat sink was bent in some way that I could never have hoped to replicate, and certainly couldn't have done it with a hammer.

When I worked at a PC repair shop, we had someone bring in a tower that looked really rough, like the metal of the case actually looked rusted. I made some joking comment like “hah, that thing’s seen better days huh?” and they were like “Yeah, my house burned down and I wanted to see if anything was salvageable from this.” :geno:

The internal components were just completely slagged.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

PowerShell is the intended administration method, and will continue to be. Get on or get out.
The fact that there are Windows admins in TYOOL 2019 who still default to using the GUI boggles my mind.

"THE BUTTONS ARE TOO BIG" "INFORMATION DENSITY IS A THIRD"

Why the hell are you not scripting your poo poo? You're in an industry that is constantly changing, so either keep up or go do accounting or something.

You sound like my parents.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Canuck-Errant posted:

The most team-building kind of fun is mandatory fun

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Fool posted:

I love Powershell but I also enjoy not having to type anything to release emails from quarantine every hour or so.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Entropic posted:

When I worked at a PC repair shop, we had someone bring in a tower that looked really rough, like the metal of the case actually looked rusted. I made some joking comment like “hah, that thing’s seen better days huh?” and they were like “Yeah, my house burned down and I wanted to see if anything was salvageable from this.” :geno:

The internal components were just completely slagged.

Points to them for blunt honesty instead of "I don't know, I let my kid use it, just fix it!!!1"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

I love Powershell but I also enjoy not having to type anything to release emails from quarantine every hour or so.

Fix your filters or train your users to use the quarantine self service.
Noone should be having to release emails from quarantine that often.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

quarantine self service.

This just reminded me of my friend complaining a couple of days ago how the IT in her company implemented such a thing, except that anyone can release anything.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

They can't self service because the emails are blocked by transport rules and the transport rules were decided upon by the head of the department to meet the directives handed down by the company board in response to their chairman cryptolocking the network and denying it :yotj:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

And thus they handed you the role of email rear end-wiper.

Still, script that poo poo. It should take you three key presses including Enter to do the job. Better still if it does it itself every hour without user input.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

rndmnmbr posted:

And thus they handed you the role of email rear end-wiper.

Still, script that poo poo. It should take you three key presses including Enter to do the job. Better still if it does it itself every hour without user input.

Yeah, if it's simply "monkey presses a button" that's exactly why scripting exists. Hell, you could probably even put a decision tree if it's 100% defined by a run-book.

Script it up, run it on a schedule, and send yourself exit codes to make sure it works as expected.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ghostlight posted:

They can't self service because the emails are blocked by transport rules and the transport rules were decided upon by the head of the department to meet the directives handed down by the company board in response to their chairman cryptolocking the network and denying it :yotj:
This is so close to what happened at my client's that it's depressing. If it's also anything like my client when you go and tell them you have a script to do it it'll turn out that they promised the board that it'll be done manually for "reasons" and now you're hosed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

No. Please don't put 11 GB worth of email in a PST file. Please don't store that PST file on a network drive. Please don't configure Outlook on multiple computers to access the same PST file from the network drive.
I hope you at least removed the PST file from the other computer's Outlook profile after I explained this and restored a backup from a week ago.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That’s why we blocked PST exports in Outlook. Also 2 gig max mailbox size ftw

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mail retention policies are your friend, and you can point to legal when people have an issue with not being able to store two decades worth of email.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Arquinsiel posted:

This is so close to what happened at my client's that it's depressing. If it's also anything like my client when you go and tell them you have a script to do it it'll turn out that they promised the board that it'll be done manually for "reasons" and now you're hosed.

Why would you ever tell anyone who doesn't understand scripting that you scripted something?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

duz posted:

Why would you ever tell anyone who doesn't understand scripting that you scripted something?

Yeah, the correct response "Ok, I'll take care of it"

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

it'll be done manually for "reasons" and now you're hosed.

You manually wrote the script

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Mail retention policies are your friend, and you can point to legal when people have an issue with not being able to store two decades worth of email.

What if this person is in legal?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

duz posted:

I haven't. I've told the technical people who hired my company in that it can be scripted, but one of them shat their pants and explicitly promised the board that a human would do it.

Heners_UK posted:

You manually wrote the script
They want screenshots :suicide:

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

Then take a picture of your screen and keyboard with PowerShell on it while you give them the finger in the reflection

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

That’s why we blocked PST exports in Outlook.
FSRM on file server: block *.PST

Boom, no more shared PSTs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Heners_UK posted:

Then take a picture of your screen and keyboard with PowerShell on it while you give them the finger in the reflection

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Write an autohotkey script to type poo poo into fields and made screenshots each time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're explicitly requesting that a human does something rather than a script that can perform the same operation as many times as necessary and log all output then you have no business being in this industry

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Arquinsiel posted:

I haven't. I've told the technical people who hired my company in that it can be scripted, but one of them shat their pants and explicitly promised the board that a human would do it.

Nobody involved in whatever communications the "technical people" had with the board knows poo poo about poo poo. WTF even kind of screenshot do they want that would indicate a human is doing something? Mouse cursors hovering over buttons? Write your script to output technobabble and give them a screenshot of that or something.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That just needs to be a hard no, honestly.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Unfortunately saying no to the people that sign your paychecks and are told all day that their poo poo doesn’t stink can be difficult.

Easier before you work for them. Like the rude as hell recruiter that responded that I wouldn’t be working in or from a prison when I told him there was no way he could pay me enough to work in the prison system. After sending me a cold email, immediately following up with a two sentence text, and his email said to reply with my hourly rate and that it should be very competitive.

He probably stopped reading my reply email when I was talking about how you don’t want the people who will lowball themselves, so he don’t get to the point where I said that the world would be a better place if the people that routinely deny inmates medical care had an “accident” cleaning their service weapon.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Che Delilas posted:

Nobody involved in whatever communications the "technical people" had with the board knows poo poo about poo poo. WTF even kind of screenshot do they want that would indicate a human is doing something? Mouse cursors hovering over buttons? Write your script to output technobabble and give them a screenshot of that or something.

We have a hard rule from our business continuity people that every time we change over a production database cname during a failover, we have to screenshot the before and after state. They have the backing of the c-levels, so :shrug:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

xsf421 posted:

We have a hard rule from our business continuity people that every time we change over a production database cname during a failover, we have to screenshot the before and after state. They have the backing of the c-levels, so :shrug:

Hey there's nothing wrong with recording a before and after. Screenshots are a bit of a silly way to do that, and you might be able to make a case for updating the wording of that policy to allow for log files of query output instead, but as you've worded it the rule doesn't and shouldn't stop you from scripting everything that's actually doing the work that you possibly can.

That's different from providing "proof" via screenshot that a human is doing it manually, which is what Arquinsiel's clients apparently want.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

If you're explicitly requesting that a human does something rather than a script that can perform the same operation as many times as necessary and log all output then you

are a manager.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know there are people here who work from home with kids, does anyone have experience soundproofing a home office? I'm reading mixed reviews of stuff like that soundproofing foam. My job involves a lot of being on the phone and occasionally I can WFH when needed, but a place that I might be staying has a baby, and I really don't want a crying baby coming over the phone on a business call.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know there are people here who work from home with kids, does anyone have experience soundproofing a home office? I'm reading mixed reviews of stuff like that soundproofing foam. My job involves a lot of being on the phone and occasionally I can WFH when needed, but a place that I might be staying has a baby, and I really don't want a crying baby coming over the phone on a business call.

The trick is to break up hard flat surfaces in your space. Rugs and tapestries and curtains and maybe a soft chair work well to start. Pictures hung on smooth walls and plants in corners to dampen echoes and have stuff on the edges of your desk and behind your monitors to break up the flat surface.

Getting more thorough involves foam and multiple layers of Sheetrock glued to walls, but that is very expensive, invasive and messy.

Edit: but if you want to avoid external sounds getting picked up by your call, get a headset with a good proximity mic. There are good mics with effective noise gates that will filter out background noise until you speak.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 8, 2019

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Eh just cover all your walls with cork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Agrikk posted:

The trick is to break up hard flat surfaces in your space. Rugs and tapestries and curtains and maybe a soft chair work well to start. Pictures hung on smooth walls and plants in corners to dampen echoes and have stuff on the edges of your desk and behind your monitors to break up the flat surface.

Getting more thorough involves foam and multiple layers of Sheetrock glued to walls, but that is very expensive, invasive and messy.

Edit: but if you want to avoid external sounds getting picked up by your call, get a headset with a good proximity mic. There are good mics with effective noise gates that will filter out background noise until you speak.

You can get away with mounting the foam onto boards (or foam core, or matte board, or cardboard; any kind of backing structure) and then attach those to the walls. I've done that when sound treating apartments when I had to work on music and didn't want to lose my deposit.

That said, you won't be able to soundPROOF completely without building out, say, a completely isolated room inside a room. But Agrikk's advice is solid. Bookshelves can be good sound diffusers if you want something that's doubly useful.

Nobody cares if I'm on a call and my cat interrupts, but I have a nice set of V-Modas with a boom mic and it helps filter out extraneous noise even without active noise cancelling. If you want to get fancy, you can probably get some kind of audio setup with a noise gate/suppressor and even a compressor, but then you're getting more into pro audio and less into, "the things I use for Google Meet." Even though I do run my meetings thru the studio audio sometimes just to make my co-workers jealous :v: