Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I lost huge on the most mint hiace super custom I've ever seen. Winning bid was like 3x-4x the average price.

That sucks because it means at least two people were willing to bid around that high right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Grakkus posted:

Do Nissan March Super Turbos come up for sale often? I'd kill for one.

I've seen 3 total since I've been doing this, 2 black ones and one white one done up in race decals. The black ones were quite nice and went for around 11,000 USD, don't remember the race decal one's price or if it even sold.

Snowy posted:

That sucks because it means at least two people were willing to bid around that high right?

Yeah, one to push the price above wilfred's bid and the other to clip over that person's bid pushing the price up.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Put in bid for 380,000. Low so didn't expect a win but we were the highest bidder. Negotiations started at 800,000 yen though so hard pass. If I were buying for myself sure, but buying to resale on Beats is tough like kei trucks. I'll get one eventually but will be a while till I find a nice but less expensive one. To be fair though this one was flawless.

Can you explain this? How do they ask over winning bid/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Edit: nm misread

It's probably like BaT where if it doesn't meet reserve, they put the highest bidder in contact with the seller to see if they can make a deal anyway.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Russian Bear posted:

Can you explain this? How do they ask over winning bid/

IOwnCalculus posted:

Edit: nm misread

It's probably like BaT where if it doesn't meet reserve, they put the highest bidder in contact with the seller to see if they can make a deal anyway.

More or less. The highest bid doesn't mean it met reserve. If you are the highest bid but didn't clear reserve then the option of 'negotiation' can start at a sort of second reserve. So you have the actual reserve, then the "well if it doesn't meet reserve I'll start negotiating at this price". In this specific case since I was the highest bidder, I could have worked with the seller to negotiate a price that started at 800,000 yen. Whatever final price is agreed on is then what it would actually sell for. Starting the negotiations at 800,000 means I'll be close to 1,000,000 yen in order to have the car in country and legal, and Beats often do not sell for that much. This one is essentially flawless and has incredibly low mileage but is still a risk. So I didn't go for the negotiation option and that was that. It will probably show up at auction again next week.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Grakkus posted:

Do Nissan March Super Turbos come up for sale often? I'd kill for one.

There was a red 94 March Turbo up yesterday I was going to get translated but had family stuff come up and didn’t send any in

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

There was a red 94 March Turbo up yesterday I was going to get translated but had family stuff come up and didn’t send any in

They mean the supercharged+turbo charged "Super Turbo" though:

Don't think the roundy newer turbos are really up to the same insanity as this guy.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Yeah I am not familiar with them (March).

Asking about a low mile fairlady and a caravan today. We need to communicate on what we are bidding I was on that daihatsu and my buddy is going to be bidding lots of nice keis right now no reason to bid against each other.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, i meant the crazy honking car :)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

This is how I found out that it is probably a [FOUR speed instead of a 5 speed, but that's just minor because the 85 5 speed I had didn't like going faster that 55 anyway. Didn't get a 'P DREAM' plate but did get the sticker on the back, rad. The driver's seat is proper hosed, that needs to be re-foamed and re-upholstered, might just do all of the seats. I don't like the wheels at all and am going to want to get something else. Going to put white letter tires on it too because of course. Looks like the applied some sort of goop on top of the cowl panel there, you can kind of tell in the picture under the hood and confirm it in the picture of the VIN plate. Mechanic says everything is good, just has weak AC but thinks a recharge of R12 will do it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Gat drat, that wagon.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Extremely my poo poo.

Finally got the wheels on the Prado properly done. Polished, cleaned and new tires.

It no longer has anything it needs, just to be driven and maintenance kept up :toot:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
drat! Prado looks awesome

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Finally

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, interior dirty and scratches, interior lamp cover cracked, seats torn and taped, cargo area scratches and dents, undercarriage surface rust, antenna broken, other dents scratches surface rust, crack in windshield

Inspection Report posted:

battery dead, engine starts one shot idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, timing belt sticker from 2018 190,000 km, no sludge, coolant ok, radiator upper tank repaired, valve cover area slightly oily, fender inner panels surface rust, tires worn, spare worn, cargo area ok, undercarriage surface rust but no flaking or holes, body as is in diagram, windshield crack 1cm passenger eye level appears repaired, drivers seat taped 25 cm on door side, other seats dirty but ok, dashboard ok, ceiling liner slight tears but ok, carpets dirty and 2 burns in parking brake area, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, hub lock ok, lights ok, wipers ok

Scored this for much lower than I was expecting. 4 door long wheelbase diesel 5 speed Land Cruiser 70. Dead batteries, broken antenna, a couple dents. Bonus recent maintenance including timing belt done just last year 4,000 km ago. I'm thinking powder coating the wheels white, white letter tires and then ???

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:siren:

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, one owner, rear end repairs, ceiling liner loose, rear spoiler paint peeling, interior dirty, undercarriage scratches and dents, right step dents and scratches, mirrors scratched, right baffle slightly bent, rear panel replaced, rear floor slightly bent, wheels scratched, other dents scratches

engine starts ok, idle low, revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, timing belt sticker from 17 years ago at 98,388km, slight sludge, coolant ok, valve cover area slightly oily, oil pan area slightly oily, no drips, right headlight baffle area slightly bent, tires at 60% surface cracks, spare ok, slight surface rust in trunk area but ok, rear panel replaced, rear floor wheel well area slightly bent but hard to tell, undercarriage surface rust but not flaking or holes, boots have cracks but not torn, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, drivers seat has 1x burn, seats ok, ceiling liner loose on sides and front, dashboard ok, ac weak but compressor ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, lights ok, wipers ok

1985 Toyota Corolla II LS SR, 5 speed manual, FWD, twin-carb'd SOHC 4 valve engine. Who cares about any of that though because LOOK AT IT. One owner, all original, blue as hell, that (factory original!) body kid, those wheels, those seats, those rear speakers. I know what we're bring to Radwood.

Thorbeef
Jul 24, 2007
That Corolla II is like the missing link between the AE82 and the AE92 FXGTs

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whoa those are speakers not headrests.

RAD.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
That is pretty cool, probably sell for a decent amount.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I wanted that Corolla so bad but talked myself out of bidding!!!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’ve been bidding /inspecting campers but I may just convert the Delica. My kids love this thing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:pcgaming:
LOOK. AT. THIS.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Freaking amazing

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Those keys are making me miss my AW11.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

As advertised by John McEnroe apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE1RWsuRf-U&t=968s

That tape deck is pretty rad though. When my wife finally lets me buy an 80s deathtrap I want one of those.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
Those seats remind me of my old Tercel 4WD Wagon.

:perfect:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I remember having the same wheels on my 1988 Corolla. Nice

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Why not call it SR5 if it's a 5 speed? Do the gauge needles slide up and down? What's that button left of the steering wheel do? Hehe

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
drat, I want it. RWD yeah?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's actually FWD with a longitudinal setup as the first gen was Toyota's first FWD car and I guess they didn't want to scare people with a sideways engine? It did make the 4wd Sprinter Carib / Tercel 4wd easier to make I guess.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I wish the Carib just had a wee bit more power. I've driven them in alltrac corolla form (and the previous tercel 4wd form, my mom had both when I was growing up) and they are just a bit slow.

Now a gt4 caldina, on the other hand.... :getin:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I've bid on 2 Carib's past 2 nights didn't win but I was bidding low. One of those March Super Turbos was up last night went for 570, it was pretty decent one.

Sold the Delica to a cool young hippie chick who plans to travel the country with it camping. She was local.

everdave fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 12, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, interior scratches and dirty, seats torn, cargo area dents and scratches, other dents scratches

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, can't check oil, coolant ok, no oil leaks, front tires at 30% rears worn, spare ok, no leaks mold or rust in cargo area, undercarriage light surface rust and painted areas, boots ok, rear bumper scrapes, windshield chips small, drivers seat door side 10cm tear, other seats ok, dashboard ok, ceiling liner dirty, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, lights ok, wipers ok

Bought this clean lil' low mileage 1993 Suzuki Every Joy Pop. Not turbo, not 4WD. Just extremely good shape. Not even 24,000 miles, everything works, will just need new tires on those snappy white wheels.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 13, 2019

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

From the older driver sign I would imagine it was just used by some old dude to potter between his field and back, which completely explains the condition (beat up but mechanically sound) and low mileage.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Nice van i would have been bidding that one but did'nt see it til after the auction

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

KakerMix posted:

Finally got the wheels on the Prado properly done. Polished, cleaned and new tires.

It no longer has anything it needs, just to be driven and maintenance kept up :toot:

God drat toyota are SHAMELESS when it comes to recycling designs.

Thats a 2018 built 70 series. Its $73,000.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Some recent disappointments:

High bidder on 4 door AWD skyline with 46k, reserve not met

High bid on Hi Ace turbo diesel with 12k, reserve not met

Outbid on 2 4wd Caribs but they sold for more than I was willing to bid

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

I ran across a Toyota Sera at a cars'n'coffee event yesterday. It's a cousin to the Tercel with a 1.5l NA engine and butterfly doors.

Ferremit posted:

Why mess with success? The general platform is great, just keep iterating on the drivetrain, electronics and accessories.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ferremit posted:

Arishtat posted:

I ran across a Toyota Sera at a cars'n'coffee event yesterday. It's a cousin to the Tercel with a 1.5l NA engine and butterfly doors.

Why mess with success? The general platform is great, just keep iterating on the drivetrain, electronics and accessories.

I'd like to get a Sera at some point with the caveat knowing that the Florida sun would make it unpleasant to drive most of the time and the requirement that it be a manual transmission. I had a 91 Tercel that was such a fantastic car so the platform I have no problem with. Just behind a slushbox, yuk.

Re: the Land Cruiser: It's still a J70, same platform, same code, same chassis and same from the end of the front through the doors to the back sheet metal. It has identical stampings from the early 80s which is why it looks so similar, and why the lines, glass and rain gutters are the same. They had to change the hood though because I imagine V6s and V8s don't fit too well in the tapered hood of the 'classic' 70. Still a 70 though, it's like Mercedes and their G-Wagen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

KakerMix posted:

I'd like to get a Sera at some point with the caveat knowing that the Florida sun would make it unpleasant to drive most of the time and the requirement that it be a manual transmission. I had a 91 Tercel that was such a fantastic car so the platform I have no problem with. Just behind a slushbox, yuk.

Re: the Land Cruiser: It's still a J70, same platform, same code, same chassis and same from the end of the front through the doors to the back sheet metal. It has identical stampings from the early 80s which is why it looks so similar, and why the lines, glass and rain gutters are the same. They had to change the hood though because I imagine V6s and V8s don't fit too well in the tapered hood of the 'classic' 70. Still a 70 though, it's like Mercedes and their G-Wagen.

Speaking of J70s...

Didn’t catch the exact engine code but it was a turbo diesel with an automatic transmission. The guy has had it for about a m9nth. He bought it to replace an 80 series that is sidelined with a broken track bar mount. He said that he tried to repair it but the axle housing was too corroded to get a good weld going so voila 70 series instead.

And here it is in front of a six month old Tundra in electric Voodoo Blue.