Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Sharpness is overrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Thom12255 posted:

Sharpness is overrated a bourgeois concept.

C'mon! It was right there!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
It has a cell phone look, where on a small screen it looks okay but on a real monitor it's mushy. Also the subject needs a bit more space around the edges.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

jarlywarly posted:

It has a cell phone look, where on a small screen it looks okay but on a real monitor it's mushy. Also the subject needs a bit more space around the edges.

Yeah I'd prefer it be quite a bit wider, it feels surprisingly claustrophobic. That being said, I feel like it's pretty good going by this thread's standards. The subject is clear, mostly in focus, and the saturation is only moderately cranked up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah, it's pretty bad if it's getting "SHOULD BE IN A MUSEUM" type comments from some photography group.

There's a subject but no focal point or lines or interest so your eye wanders around wondering what the gently caress the photographer wanted you to look at. The pond is ugly with poo poo floating in it and the branches on the right edge demonstrate the photographer didn't give a crap about framing. The whole image is a cluttered mess and going wider is only going to bring more distractions in.

Some dweeb was walking around and was all "ohh, pink clouds!" and plopped their tripod into the pond full of confidence that SKY COLORS would get them internet fame.

There might be a good photo in there somewhere, using the four trees to frame something might be worth a try but I ain't seeing it.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

it's bad folks,

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Nah, it's pretty bad if it's getting "SHOULD BE IN A MUSEUM" type comments from some photography group.

There's a subject but no focal point or lines or interest so your eye wanders around wondering what the gently caress the photographer wanted you to look at. The pond is ugly with poo poo floating in it and the branches on the right edge demonstrate the photographer didn't give a crap about framing. The whole image is a cluttered mess and going wider is only going to bring more distractions in.

Some dweeb was walking around and was all "ohh, pink clouds!" and plopped their tripod into the pond full of confidence that SKY COLORS would get them internet fame.

There might be a good photo in there somewhere, using the four trees to frame something might be worth a try but I ain't seeing it.

Oh yeah I didn't mean to imply the picture was GOOD, just compared to the usual stuff posted in this thread it isn't completely terrible.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

”Eric Kim” posted:

I had a recent realization:

I despise it when I feel like I’m part of the herd — I have always prided myself in being different from others.

For example, When I was a kid and all my schoolmates were wearing NIKE’s, I wore Adidas.

When everyone bought an iPhone, I got an Android.

When everyone listened to mainstream hip-hop, I listened to underground.

Why do I pride myself in being different?

Perhaps it is because I feel superior to others, or perhaps it is because it is difficult for myself to find people that I consider my peers (my equals//’inter-pares’).

Oh Eric.

(http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2019/04/30/distinguish-yourself-2/ if you want more of this tripe)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

When my friends went for one major retail brand, I, firebrand, went for a different major retail brand

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

That's actually satire right, it's got to be

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Satire asking for real money for hipster bullshit.

Best part is how much of a chore he makes it to actually find any gallery of his work.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Is the key to being successful sounding pretentious?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Wafflecopper posted:

That's actually satire right, it's got to be

xzzy posted:

Satire asking for real money for hipster bullshit.

Best part is how much of a chore he makes it to actually find any gallery of his work.

I've said this before, but Eric Kim is basically a low-rent Thorsten Overgaard. His photography is incidental, a means rather than an end, and the "Pick Adidas over Nike, Android over iPhone, underground over hip-hop, Chevy over Ford" posting isn't side-fluff; it's the entire point of the exercise. The great takeaway lesson of Eric Kim's existence is that it's about the sizzle, not the steak. It's about ego-stroking and finding some way to "differentiate" yourself and signal it as loudly as you can, because that means attention and attention means money. It's not about something so mundane as pictures; it's about the lifestyle. You only need to take photos so far as they can justify you posing and talking like a photographer, so you can "make $200K/year from photography".

It's this:

Soulex posted:

Is the key to being successful sounding pretentious?
because if you can sound pretentious in just the right way, the answer is "yes".

He's not as obsessive about expensive gear as KRock or Thorsten or Steve Huff, but that feels like it's mostly because that gets in the way of buying more deluxe accessories (especially the "Haptic Industries" ones featured on his site, conveniently made by his wife's company in Vietnam but priced like German-made Oberwerths with better attention to details) and books (especially books by Eric Kim). The margins are much better on these than on something so pedestrian as referral links, anyways. If you want to push your lifestyle a little bit and give you something to talk about, you can take some classes (especially by Eric Kim), travel (especially to workshops by Eric Kim), or hang up some avant-garde photography in your home (by Eric Kim, naturally), but these are expensive at $1000+ so he understands if you can't quite swing them.

( I understand, in all due fairness, that Eric Kim is actually a really friendly and enthusiastic guy in person, but his web persona is 100% about the Photographer LARP. )

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 2, 2019

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I know this might border on mean, and not quite the same level as many others posted here but I got a kick out of the time invested and final product here.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao yeah that's already a terrible edit and it's all the funnier that it took him 3 hours and he considers that a point of pride

also is it me or does some combination of the flowers in the background and that bokeh make it seem like it's spiraling?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

She got really sunburnt in those 3 hours

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

To be fair, we don't know what the brief was.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Gregg Wallace keeps begging his wife to print her Instagram

And er ...

For those lucky enough not to know him, Greg Wallace is the presenter of Masterchef in the UK and he looks like an egg.

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 8, 2019

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Prints off on a HP LaserJet 6L

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
he he
noughty

xx

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I wear Adidas because everyone else is wearing Nike's not because of any discernable metric just because he's a contrary prick.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

A textbook example of the "oh poo poo, I was supposed to get a photo of this" composition.

Vice President Pence Visits Gerdau St. Paul Steel Mill by The White House, on Flickr

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Doggles posted:

A textbook example of the "oh poo poo, I was supposed to get a photo of this" composition.

Vice President Pence Visits Gerdau St. Paul Steel Mill by The White House, on Flickr

That or they think that it looks pro to put the subject off center but have no idea how to execute it well.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
OTOH, this shot of ominous Pence

Vice President Mike Pence Arrives on Air Force Two by The White House, on Flickr

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

President Trump Aboard Marine One by The White House, on Flickr

They couldn't have waited a few more seconds for that guy to walk out of the frame?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Doggles posted:

President Trump Aboard Marine One by The White House, on Flickr

They couldn't have waited a few more seconds for that guy to walk out of the frame?

What is the subject supposed to be here? I’m so confused because of the focus.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

rio posted:

What is the subject supposed to be here? I’m so confused because of the focus.

murica

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The statue of liberty is a fine idea for a backdrop. In the hands of a photographer that has some sense of what they're doing.

My favorite part is how the title suggests the president is on the helicopter, but the caption clarifies it's just waiting for him to show up. Some bored idiot was grabbing snapshots waiting for the big event and decided it was worth publishing.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Tell MY President, to enter the Helicopter from the left side and get a shot of both him entering with energy (big butt) and the statue in the frame.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

e: n/m

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I like to think this photo will be the cover of a future photobook titled "Leading Lines to the Penises: An Official White House Photographer's Memoir."

President Trump Tours the Demilitarized Zone Between North and South Korea by The White House, on Flickr

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Well, if it's good enough for government work, it's good enough for me!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
There's so much going on in that photo! Besides the microphones, there's the pained expression on the soldier's face, the perspective-shrunk tiny woman, the dropped phone...

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

ExecuDork posted:

There's so much going on in that photo! Besides the microphones, there's the pained expression on the soldier's face, the perspective-shrunk tiny woman, the dropped phone...

It's accidentally genius.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
https://twitter.com/Panther688/status/1143696479535558656

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
The internet was a mistake.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
The fishing man in the last photo possesses a godlike serenity that I envy. No way he didn’t see the setup for the shoot.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I hope for this to be a troll but my heart tells me it is not.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I was visiting my inlaws in Colorado one time and we went to visit some friends of theirs for dinner one evening. Pretty standard family setting, suburban house, older parents, one daughter about my age at the time (mid 30s), son in late 20s. We get there and the parents and the daughter are getting everything together in the kitchen, the son isn't there yet because he has been travelling and is on his way home still.

A car pulls up outside. It's a converted minivan with a sliding door. "Oh God!" says the father. "He's brought his girlfriend." Guy hops out the front. Normal-seeming, reasonably in-shape dude wearing regular urban fashion stuff. He waves at us in the kitchen and slides open the side of the van where there's a wheelchair ramp. This gets unfolded and a few minutes later he's wheeling a chair up the driveway. Father goes to the door.

"Leave it in the car!"

"But she's cold!"

"I don't care, don't bring it into the house. We have guests tonight."

Argument continues for a while. Father compromises on letting him into the house if the girlfriend stays in another room. Son insists that this is disrespectful to her and digs in. I'm pretty sure that violence is about to happen when the mother steps in and says it will be ok, she can come to the table.

That was the most loving awkward dinner I've ever been at. There was this life-size doll in a wheelchair, complete with makeup, expensive looking clothes and jewellery. Everyone else at the table was either grinding their jaws in impotent rage or studiously pretending that it wasn't there. The son kept trying to involve the doll in conversations by asking it what its opinion was. Then he'd lean over with his ear near its mouth and make some kind of reaction. Everytime he referred ta a woman or actual female humans he'd be careful to qualify them with the term bio-women. It would be like "Oh, i was driving home and there was a bio-woman in the outside lane just texting on her phone, can you believe that!" Or "My friend who is a bio-woman called Judy says that...." He was telling us about how he had togo away for a week recently and he was so glad to be home again because his girlfriend had missed him so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
:stare: