Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Greader posted:

Been thinking of ideas on how to make a multiplayer level, versus or otherwise. What would be a good way to maybe have a level where there are multiple doors but only one player can enter a door or the area behind it at least? Or in general have a split path like that? Also what ways are there to have changes that affect the entire level? Been thinking of an idea where the players split up and do their individual challenges, but each, or at least most of the, paths have something like the switches or p-blocks that the players on their own paths need to use but also change the other one's in some way that makes them more challenging (having blocks make jumps harder/tighter or letting enemies out).

On off switches that lock the path behind them and unlock the path forward is really your own option. There's nothing that can force a split since players staying close will get in the airlock together, but that's the best you're going to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

eonwe posted:

Okay I decided to do another stream. Feel free to join, I even did the bot thing so I can have a real queue

https://www.twitch.tv/saiyanprideparade

that was so much fun! I had like 20 people at one point and I was playing through tons of goon levels!

lol 10 bux
Dec 22, 2004
i <3 (o)(o)s
Is there a way to get a Music sound effect to play during an entire sub level? I'm trying to play the Bonus Music throughout the sub level. Scattering it on the background or attaching to items throughout isn't quite working because it keeps resetting the music.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

lol 10 bux posted:

Is there a way to get a Music sound effect to play during an entire sub level? I'm trying to play the Bonus Music throughout the sub level. Scattering it on the background or attaching to items throughout isn't quite working because it keeps resetting the music.

If you put it on whatever entrance Mario comes out of, it should persist until something overrides it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

eonwe posted:

that was so much fun! I had like 20 people at one point and I was playing through tons of goon levels!

Aw man, I missed it. Not even sure if you played any of my own stages but it sucks there's no way to go back and check out a VOD D:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rather Watch Them posted:

If you put it on whatever entrance Mario comes out of, it should persist until something overrides it.

This unfortunately won't work fro scrolling levels or I guess if the camera just moves too far away from the pipe off screen

Padomyme
Jan 9, 2005
Burn the women and rape the cows
This will teach me to upload late at night. I uploaded another level and I miss named it on the sheet. Not only that but I miss typed the name while uploading.

Hot ane Cold Switch (should be and obviously)
GHC-0FC-XWC

There is one P-Switch jump because my lazy brain couldn’t think of anything else to put there. They’re pretty easy though so I didn’t feel too bad about it.

Padomyme fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 5, 2019

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Made my first course. Tell me how I did BTF-D64-71G

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

You're overcome by an indescribably odd sensation...!
I'm slightly late to the party, but I made some levels! I'll start making my way through the spreadsheet eventually...

My first level is the result of messing around with some of the new tools:

Cloudy Snakes Rule
JD9-G42-5FF

I hope my jam interpretation was correct:

Try the Switch
S2G-SLL-9WF

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Aw man, I missed it. Not even sure if you played any of my own stages but it sucks there's no way to go back and check out a VOD D:

I will enable vods. I did play one of yours. The midnight snack one!

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I completely forgot if Switch Jam is still on but in case it is, here's Mole Mine Mania
DVT-6NP-02G

Did you know there's a hard limit on how many Semi-Solid Platforms you can place in a level? Because I do now!
Also I wasn't gonna do two back to back desert levels, but I played some goon levels that used the SMW Desert and I fell in love with the song on it, it's so good.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 5, 2019

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Hi, I made my first stage today and have no idea what I'm doing! Critiques welcome. Course is an SMB3 airship level named Airship Assault, code is 6CW-G2B-9WF.

Link43130
Apr 13, 2009
Made my first level today inspired by collecting the three Yoshi coins in SMW levels. Tell me what you think!

Seven Sky Shinies: 8GJ-DXY-MBG

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Some more goon levels

Time-Traveling Pipes: All I could think of while playing this. Very solid basis for a level. I feel like you could of played it up more with some creative decorating, but the level plays fine and the gimmick was enjoyable instead of annoying like these levels tend to usually be.

Father Son Fortress: Enjoyed this level a lot up until the Bowser fight which sucked. I get that its a recreation of his SMB3 fight but its soooo tedious with how Bowser's AI works in this game. Very good traditional level otherwise.

Button Bastion: Good use of red yoshi which I haven't seen much of. The crane puzzle seemed really obtuse compared to the others, but overall pretty good.

Fireball Fracas: Simple but enjoyable, I like seeing levels themed around just one piece like this.

Super Mario Starfield!: Really nice decorating and designing around the theme! Definitely sold me on the space vibe. All I'd say is I feel like you could of made it feel more like an asteroid storm with an off-screen lakitu throwing.... something. Not sure what, and I know its hard to balance around that. That's more just me throwing my own idea at the theme though; what you put out is great!

Hammer Hideout: Lot of hammer bros (obviously) but didn't feel unfair, which is a rarity with these fuckers. So good job with that.

Ya'll make such nice levels! Wish I had time to play em all.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Finally got something done for the actual Blitz. Subterranean Terror: 8B2-07L-VKF. Had a hard time clearing it which means it's middling difficulty. Feels a bit disjointed but does fulfill all the parameters.

jercoxthealmighty
Dec 18, 2007
Made a new one. Probably a little odd, as far as Mario levels go, but I've wanted to do something like this since the Mario Maker 1, and vertical levels make it possible. Still took a lot of tinkering to make it seem not unreasonably difficult.

The Accursed Depths
08C-4P1-55G

Hope y'all like it!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Evening all, I made a level in the vein of a traditional Mario Bros. 3 Airship:

Bowser Jr's Airship
JJP-W4B-VKF

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Bowser's Illegal Fish Farm: 6TX-116-CCG

First real attempt at a Mario Maker level and I'm pretty happy with it even though the part limit got in the way of some of the ideas I had. It's got some fairly challenging platforming with lots of swinging claws and fish, multiple routes, and a few secrets.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Level reviews because it seems to be the cool thing to do

¿: The reversed gravity hosed me up but it was a nice level. I feel like the checkpoint should have been before the cramped spiny area, but thats because I died in there and I shant hold myself at fault

The Legend of Zelda - Level 1: Cool concept, Im glad I played it and I hope to never play one again

Hendo's Deathcoaster: Autoscroller with a setup seems weird but this was alright as far as autoscrollers go. Im biased against them tho.

Life simulator: rear end level

Captain Koopa Kidd's Lost Gold: Neat puzzle level. I died once at the thwomp part and the lack of checkpoint really hurt, but I dont think theres a good way of incorporating that in a level like this. Fun, unique level.

Cross the Poison River: Well done concept, too many power ups at the start. It would have been cool to put a cape in the ? block shortly after the checkpoint if that was what you were going for to make players work to access the easy route. Playing without abusing the cape was a fun experience.

Koopa Armada: Very pretty level, deliberately easy but not boring. Has one of the rare uses of an enemy inside a ? block that makes sense. The ghost house part seems a bit odd thematically but its not really a detracting point.

Treetop Tryout: Interesting concept of using the 3D mario trees, but you should probably check your death heat maps because some of these jumps are weirdly spaced if you jump from the top of trees

Mtn. Don't: Some kaizo bullshit. I beat it so gently caress you

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

dizzywhip posted:

Bowser's Illegal Fish Farm: 6TX-116-CCG

First real attempt at a Mario Maker level and I'm pretty happy with it even though the part limit got in the way of some of the ideas I had. It's got some fairly challenging platforming with lots of swinging claws and fish, multiple routes, and a few secrets.

So, I had to stop playing it.

The first part of the level was actually pretty nice for 75% of it. I thought everything up to the seesaw section was well designed and the secret area on the bottom was a nice challenge with a good reward. The seesaws were a little tedious and I felt like I got a cheap death at the end with the spikes, but not a huge deal.

The second part was...very frustrating. The fish on the bottom were random and half the time they'd hit me without little for me to do or I'd "stomp" on them and plummet to my death. I got the 50 coin initially but had no clear path from there and did a leap of faith to my death.

Ultimately, the first part felt very good overall and the second part made me quit out of frustration. I think if you would have stuck to the first section and fleshed it out that would have been a nice level. Or heck, end it with the first part - I felt like I got a fulfilling level just with that part alone.

Control Volume posted:

Level reviews because it seems to be the cool thing to do

Captain Koopa Kidd's Lost Gold: Neat puzzle level. I died once at the thwomp part and the lack of checkpoint really hurt, but I dont think theres a good way of incorporating that in a level like this. Fun, unique level.

Thanks for the feedback! You're right, I tried to find a place to get a checkpoint within the level but couldn't find a great way to do it unless it was on the right side of the map with a way to backtrack towards the first. That's kind of the downside with a level like this - not a good place to put a "middle ground."

Kirios fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 5, 2019

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
e. decided to revamp course.

scroll down the page for the better version! :mario:

Homestar Runner fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 5, 2019

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Homestar Runner posted:

Hey everyone, here's my level "Wild Waters"

PWM-QMP-0YF

I'd say it's only medium difficulty (the clear rate is hovering at 10% though, a bit lower than I expected!).

There's a couple of fun sections in the level that work quite well, I just wish the overall theme was stronger. Next time I'll definitely try to make a level that is more thematic.

Anyways, enjoy! :mario:

So, I went through a pipe, went through enemy spam starting with a Bowser, got a star, went through that pipe, and got soft locked and had to start over. Was I not supposed to go that way? I saw an arrow.

Edit: Ah, you're supposed to take an enemy and remove the blocks to allow a P block to come out. That's not what a player is going to think at all, they're going to assume you go in that pipe. You may want a better way to convey that.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 5, 2019

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Kirios posted:

So, I had to stop playing it.

The first part of the level was actually pretty nice for 75% of it. I thought everything up to the seesaw section was well designed and the secret area on the bottom was a nice challenge with a good reward. The seesaws were a little tedious and I felt like I got a cheap death at the end with the spikes, but not a huge deal.

The second part was...very frustrating. The fish on the bottom were random and half the time they'd hit me without little for me to do or I'd "stomp" on them and plummet to my death. I got the 50 coin initially but had no clear path from there and did a leap of faith to my death.

Ultimately, the first part felt very good overall and the second part made me quit out of frustration. I think if you would have stuck to the first section and fleshed it out that would have been a nice level. Or heck, end it with the first part - I felt like I got a fulfilling level just with that part alone.

That's fair, I appreciate the feedback! I agree that stomping the fish knocking you off the claw sucks and is unexpected, I wish it didn't do that. On that part you're just meant to swing back and forth to avoid the fish, which is definitely doable but my judgment of the difficulty probably isn't great after testing it so many times :shrug:

I should have put a wall after the 50 coin platform, you're supposed to fall back to the platform you started on but that's not obvious.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yup, that's an important lesson for every creator to learn (myself included, and I'm always trying to keep it in mind). Levels are always more difficult than you think they are because you've tested it over and over again. Someone who is coming into it blind hasn't had the 30+ times to play through sections of that level as you have and they'll have way less tolerance to sections they deem unfair than you since, well, it's your level. :)

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Kirios posted:

So, I went through a pipe, went through enemy spam starting with a Bowser, got a star, went through that pipe, and got soft locked and had to start over. Was I not supposed to go that way? I saw an arrow.

Edit: Ah, you're supposed to take an enemy and remove the blocks to allow a P block to come out. That's not what a player is going to think at all, they're going to assume you go in that pipe. You may want a better way to convey that.

e. good call. revamped course

Homestar Runner fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 5, 2019

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I wish they would add a way to make groups of levels. Then just one of us would have to go through the effort of typing in individual codes from this thread. People could make entire games with skill progression. I'd also like a one-stop-shop for certain kinds of levels like 20-second speedruns and one-screen puzzles. Digging through the popular and hot lists when I'm in the mood for a certain kind of level really sucks.

It seems like something that would add a lot to the game, and wouldn't take much effort to implement on Nintendo's part.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Homestar Runner posted:

Point taken. In my defense, the arrow is point straight up at the block and all you need to do is bump the blocks from below by jumping

e. I might change it in any case :)

To be fair to you everything leading up to that point was perfectly fine and I was enjoying myself. It was just frustrating to get soft locked. :)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Babby's first Mario level : More kaizo bullshit. I also beat this so gently caress you

Unleash the Madlads: Weird backtracking level, not terrible tho

Will o' the Wisp: Very clever use of the lighting mechanic, it gave just enough info to make blind leaps actually work

Palace of the Para-Beetle: Cool gimmick level that felt like a Mario 3 level. The first jump onto a parabeetle was harder than the rest of the level combined though.

Revenge of the Wooden Saucers: Very pretty level, some cool concepts with the whole "going to space" thing you had going on, but the first part was kind of a chore to play.

Giant Jumble: Cute level, didnt do much with the concept though

Try the Switch: My dude this is a case study in things needing checkpoints.

Big Stunt Skyline: Fun concept, kind of difficult for what it was but it was checkpointed well so the deaths werent too infuriating. I found that if you dont switch the conveyers the "intended" way, they are easier since jump momentum doesnt depend on conveyer momentum and you approached the edge slower for easier timing.

Just Jump: A novel switch level thats enough of a deviation from the masses of other switch crap to make it feel fresh.

Wet Chomps: Fun level, its cool to see good water levels

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What are all these "speedrun" levels I see in the popular courses? Are some of them actually levels meant to be played fast or are they all literally holding right and pressing a?

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Kirios posted:

To be fair to you everything leading up to that point was perfectly fine and I was enjoying myself. It was just frustrating to get soft locked. :)

I think your critique was the right call. I went back and revamped it :)

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
8GD-2LB-FMF

The newly revamped "Wild Waters" :mario:

Definitely a better theme and flow to the level now. Give it a go!

Homestar Runner fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 5, 2019

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Played some random goon levels:

Junior's Speedy Shipping Fleet
This was a very pleasant playthrough, felt just like an airship level from SMB3!

Wreckage Re-entry
It's a cool theme for a level, but I got frustrated with the drop-down part and couldn't finish it. I kinda wish there was some more space between Mario and the bottom of the screen so that you could anticipate your movements better (or maybe if you had the cape so that you could maneuver a bit).

Switch Blocks By Starlight
Some of the enemy placements felt a bit mean initially, and it can be difficult keep up the momentum at a few points, but most of the times I failed it felt like my own fault and not the level's, which is always good. The disappearing/reappearing blocks at the end went way too fast for me though, guess I might be Bad at Mario :shrug:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey so this is my final level for a bit. A goon asked for water levels and I hope to deliver a bit late. You'll be both above water and below it in the Porcupuffer Pond

I'd like some thoughts as I'm not quite used to making water levels myself and hoping I did alright :shobon: It's pretty straight forward and there's a goofy little extra path at the end if you feel like hanging around.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hey so this is my final level for a bit. A goon asked for water levels and I hope to deliver a bit late. You'll be both above water and below it in the Porcupuffer Pond

I'd like some thoughts as I'm not quite used to making water levels myself and hoping I did alright :shobon: It's pretty straight forward and there's a goofy little extra path at the end if you feel like hanging around.
The water parts are just right. I died exclusively to goombas.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The most surprising part of this post is that somebody wanted to play a water level

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Reupload: #298 Mario Teaches Potions 191-7FN-CKG JD9-8YX-W5G
Fixed a lot of things.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm making a snow level based around platforms moving on tracks but I'm having trouble making it interesting. Any ideas for challenges? I've got some twister dudes who blow you around and icicles that fall but it doesn't feel very engaging.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I hope one of the updates adds an extra sub-level for making levels. I think that would open up the possibilities immensely, and I don't just say this as someone who wants to remake SMB 2 1-1 :ohdear:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

What are all these "speedrun" levels I see in the popular courses? Are some of them actually levels meant to be played fast or are they all literally holding right and pressing a?

I use the tag for a level where I feel like it can be played fast and has some technical challenge to doing so.

Forktoss posted:

Wreckage Re-entry
It's a cool theme for a level, but I got frustrated with the drop-down part and couldn't finish it. I kinda wish there was some more space between Mario and the bottom of the screen so that you could anticipate your movements better (or maybe if you had the cape so that you could maneuver a bit).

As a theme, it needed a lot of testing and refinement, but it was a blitz level so at an hour of design up it went. So even though that falling segment is the entire level and only about ten seconds long, I know it's way crueler than it should be. I tried to give big open paths with a full screen length of warning before one of the major obstacles but that's still tight timing. And I suspect that there just isn't enough room for a good long fall level which makes me hesitant to go back to the idea to try to do it right.

FWIW, I didn't design it around the cape because my power up was mushrooms and I was already pushing things on the theme pretty hard by putting 99% of my theme stuff in a mechanical process where the player would never see it, so I wanted to just stick with falling. The cape is a better way to handle this kind of design, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
Okay, the ducking ice level idea is done and not too difficult I don't think.

Mind Your Head

DQT-CDB-WKF

I'm thinking I might go in and add a second tiles worth of ground before the crouching jump with the jumping muchers just to give a little more heads up time if people have any trouble with it. Also may end up giving a second tile of room for people to have a bit more run up before the shell jumping section, though the speed you get off the treadmill seems to consistently be enough if you've bounced off of the wall springs.

e:updated for new code

Circle Nine fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 6, 2019