Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

GHOST_BUTT posted:

This is why organizer continues to be the secret best commander trait. If you are there first, then those French stacks siege holdings on your behalf.

Well specifically what happened is before I could declare war the French demanded I get get involved in a seperate war. Fortunately they lost before I had to declare war, but then my guy died of cancer halfway through the war :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Major Isoor posted:

One thing I've always wondered, though; does the benefit of Organizer stack, if you have multiple generals with the trait leading your army?

No, an army only benefits from the movement speed bonus of the commander leading the center.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Torrannor posted:

No, an army only benefits from the movement speed bonus of the commander leading the center.

Oh! I didn't realise that - that's good to know. So what, if your commander has organizer and flanker, you basically have to pick which of the two effects you want to use? (That or change to leading the centre to move across the map, then change to the flank before battles)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Major Isoor posted:

Oh! I didn't realise that - that's good to know. So what, if your commander has organizer and flanker, you basically have to pick which of the two effects you want to use? (That or change to leading the centre to move across the map, then change to the flank before battles)

this is basically how warrior philosopher bloodline is useful even if your kids are worthless idiots in a fight. you slap one in command of the center to move and then before battle is joined you trade them out with someone who is actually good at their job.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Slowly getting the hang of Mr. Boneless and the Pagans. Send everyone bulldozing south at the beginning to take out his first enemy. Send the doomstack back up north. My problem before was I was too worried about Ivar's brother chewing up territory before I could make it back to finish the second war. He does, but as it happens he usually doesn't have many soldiers left in the tank by the time the war concludes, and those 500 Prestige stacks I can buy don't actually vanish as long as I actively have a war going. So I just need to knock the first war to 100%, declare a new Subjugation war on his brother, officially end the first one and proceed with my huge army of death.

This is the first game where Threat is proving to be a thing though. Apparently I've expanded so quickly that declaring on any of the nearby Christians is going to result in everyone coming to get me at once.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Pretty sure the patch notes said that they changed that sometime back.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Yeah, you now get the speed bonus of the fastest of the three assigned commanders

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well aside from getting his face hacked off by a horrible Court Physician (how is that supposed to help with consumption, you stupid rear end in a top hat?) and siring only daughters (hard enough to get this dude to think of the Solar Empire and sleep with women anyway, couldn't roll one son?) this is probably my new record for the most successful character. Helps that he inherited the throne at like four years old...he just returned from brutally slaying the most talented fighters of India and that isn't even the most impressive thing he's done! He founded two bloodlines somehow, not that I am going to get anything out of them.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Can you matrimarry one of his daughters to your heir's son? Should be able to get the bloodlines that way.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I pretty much never take the risky cure, as you're always losing something and I've no idea what is chopped off. Like does the doctor's skill actually matter? Or is it just based off the severity of the disease?

Also yeah matrilineal marriage keeps all bloodlines. It's cheatmode for playing pokemon with them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Experimental treatments are just like normal treatments on a different table. The difference is that good treatment gives +3 instead of +2 and normal treatment cures the disease in return for maiming you somehow.

Skill of the doctor, their traits, and the doctor’s opinion of you all matter.

You should basically use normal treatments unless it is a disease you are definitely going to die from - so cancer, gout, and other diseases that do not clear up on their own, and plague, rabies, and occasionally other diseases with huge health maluses.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

My experience with experimental ones were they chop something off and usually cure the disease. Maybe that's just for brave characters?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the only difference for brave characters is their response to their physician. chopping something off to cure the disease is the second best result, and what i was referring to with "maiming you somehow." the first best result is "successful experimental treatment" which gives +3 health and some stats for 5 years.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Has anyone ever had a mystical treatment go well? I feel like I've gotten sicker every time I've picked it, which is honestly kind of hilarious.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I think I've simultaneously gotten better, gone insane and had the doctor commit suicide a couple times, so I think that combo is an option

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there's something like a 15% chance of "the rat will carry your burden" with a mystical treatment, which will cure your disease, give you all virtues you don't have the associated vice for, and delete all vices you do have.

i got it once when i had a 23 year old empress become bedridden with syphilis.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

jerman999 posted:

Can you matrimarry one of his daughters to your heir's son? Should be able to get the bloodlines that way.

My heir did not have a son. So now he's married to his own cousin, thanks for the tip! Same dynasty so did not even have to matrimarry.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

My heir did not have a son. So now he's married to his own cousin, thanks for the tip! Same dynasty so did not even have to matrimarry.

Well, yes you do. Bloodlines are either passed down father to child in a normal marriage, or mother to child in a matrilinial one. Them being the same dynasty is just to ensure the mothers child isn't the wrong dynasty, leading to a game over.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I got matrimarried (as a man) to my cousin of the same dynasty but the game is telling me that it's game over on inheritance? Shouldn't they be part of the same dynasty?

e: ooooh she's a bastard lol. Should work with a normal child right?

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Yeah I'm trying to collect bloodlines this way in my current GOT Targaryen run. Should be exactly the same as a distant family member inhering in elective.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well apparently my heir was secretly the High Priest of Lucifer's own and has, through dark orgies or some poo poo, like five different lovers besides his wife. Some of who are dudes. Hope he isn't too busy to sire an actual heir. :magical:

His uncle must be rolling in his loving grave so goddamn hard right now. From Super Holy Warrior to Head Satanist Boss lmao. Even took the same name to "honor" him.

EDIT: Literally all my female lovers are pregnant...is this an event or something?! The gently caress?

EDIT 2: ...this fuckin' game:

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 7, 2019

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
soooooo I think something's weird with wars to reclaim Rome for the pope. The HRE drove itself over 1000 gold into bankruptcy trying and failing to do this and when the war ends, they basically start up anotehr one.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Midnight Voyager posted:

soooooo I think something's weird with wars to reclaim Rome for the pope. The HRE drove itself over 1000 gold into bankruptcy trying and failing to do this and when the war ends, they basically start up anotehr one.

I think I know why because I've just done that myself when playing the HRE. The only person who can do a coronation is the Pope, and if the Pope doesn't have Rome then recapturing Rome appears to always be his price for doing it.

In my case I failed twice and got it the third time, bit there was no timer or treaty preventing me from trying again so I guess the AI just keeps going.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I hate magically spawning independence revolts. Had Ireland, most of Scotland and most of England conquered as Ivar's great grandkid. England declares independence, up pops an army slightly smaller than mine. Except the general of it has a 21 Martial so I can't dislodge him, then a second revolt spawns, suddenly he's twice as big as me. I create some duchies just for the purpose of getting enough Prestige to rebuild the army, launch again at him, lose again. Ivar's game just seems to fall apart once he's dead and his kids all suck poo poo at fighting

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DarkCrawler posted:

EDIT 2: ...this fuckin' game:

The gently caress are those?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Also, what is that ambition?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

I hate magically spawning independence revolts.

So did Cromwell.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CommissarMega posted:

Best Friends posted:

Also, what is that ambition?

Pretty sure the icons are swaddled infants and the ambition is to capture someone.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
I'm playing as the Empress of Scandinavia, and the King of Italy got embroiled in a civil war for increased council power against one of my dukes for some reason. My duke, with his ~900 troops, was somehow winning the war, and the King of Italy made a peace offer that apparently included Italy becoming part of the Scandinavian Empire. All of this went unnoticed by me until I zoomed out and realized my empire had suddenly expanded.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh boy! I went to look at how the big overhauls are going, and it looks like HIP added the genetics mod. A big no on that one...

There's a thread in their forum section where they argue that people should totally have an enormous smattering of traits that can be inherited because it is realistic, and see, some of those are mild traits, just deal with them being everywhere.

EDIT: Speaking of mods, this is driving me nuts. I'm trying to figure out how to let women in equality-reformed religions join the warrior lodge. My grandma made the (Hellenic) lodge! Why can't I join just because my mom died before I was old enough for her to recruit me? But I can't seem to find anything about gender in the 00_societies.txt file.

I collected some choice quotes from the HIP forums here, by the way. I HIGHLY recommend the last one where a guy decides that people who don't like the genetics mod actually don't believe in genetics at all.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 9, 2019

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

AFAIK women can join the society anytime. Do you have a health malus or something that would prevent you from being able to duel? Being pregnant would probably block entrance, but you'd be fine afterwards. Or maybe you need a martial education? I'm at work so I'm not sure on the requirements, but I've had no problems joining lodges even before reformation as a woman.

Also while I don't care for genetic traits, I'd love more normal traits, and to remove the stupid events that make them fall away if your character gets too interesting. I was really glad when they added traits like erudite and shrewd, so more traits is always good. Ambitions to get a certain trait would also be really cool.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eimi posted:

AFAIK women can join the society anytime. Do you have a health malus or something that would prevent you from being able to duel? Being pregnant would probably block entrance, but you'd be fine afterwards. Or maybe you need a martial education? I'm at work so I'm not sure on the requirements, but I've had no problems joining lodges even before reformation as a woman.

Also while I don't care for genetic traits, I'd love more normal traits, and to remove the stupid events that make them fall away if your character gets too interesting. I was really glad when they added traits like erudite and shrewd, so more traits is always good. Ambitions to get a certain trait would also be really cool.

Maybe I have to have a martial education, but the tooltip just says "IS MALE X" and so it's confusing me. I had good martial skill, just an intrigue education.

I agree about traits, but I do wish that Dull wasn't so frequent from warrior lodges. Thank god there's a mod to remove the trait shedding in general.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the thing about warrior lodges is post-reformation someone has to induct you? I might be misremembering but I think it was a thing that reforming makes them a bit harder to get into in general.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the thing about warrior lodges is post-reformation someone has to induct you? I might be misremembering but I think it was a thing that reforming makes them a bit harder to get into in general.

No, you can't induct your kids unless you have a mission for it if you're feudal.

While I'm at it, mods that need to exist: tone that pregnancy craving event the gently caress down or something, why are there so many vanilla harelips.

Oh, and one to add more options to the "can I have a nickname?" event, maybe ones that take their traits into account.

poo poo, I need to stop coming up with ideas, I still haven't done the warrior lodge thing because it's a pain.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 9, 2019

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Anyone know if they've talked about 64 bit coming to CK2 like it is for EU4? Speaking of overhaul mods, I had the bright idea to start working on one (I'd been working on it with Imperator in mind until I actually started playing it so I shifted gears) but I'm on a Mac which is gonna present some problems in a few months when they phase out 32 bit support.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why did I get the bright idea to merge in AAO's extra artifacts with WOWGAG's to try to make them compatible? (the answer is because I got stumped on modding something else :V)

Their mmm_artifacts_events.txt are both significantly different from the default and each other's and it's making smoke pour out of my brain. I think this single file is going to stump me just by getting me lost in what are changes and what are additions. My file compare tool is even getting confused.

While I was at it, I found a bunch of updates that hadn't been carried over from CK2's updates yet, namely the ones involving Wonders, and fixed a minor graphical bug. I updated them both separately in the hopes that it would make the merge easier, but it sure isn't.

Well, since I got stumped on modding that, I'm editing that loving pregnancy cravings event. There was a loving 70% chance of the negative trait and skill plus! But I want some opinions on percentages here. I think it would make more sense to have a very small chance of the negative trait and +2 in the stat, a somewhat larger but still small chance of getting +2 in the stat, and a vast majority chance of removing the stressed trait if the mother has it. Like maybe 5%, 10%, and 85%? How does that sound?

For now, here's a simple one that lowers it to 5% chance: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1798778868

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 10, 2019

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone ever have the new crusader king receive all the spoils of the crusade? I have a cousin or something in my latest game with over 100k gold and prestige cause somehow he got all the spoils and none of the participants did

He also got every single holding I think? All the counts are the same culture, which would only happen if he granted them all himself right?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Children of Destiny don't gently caress around. I spotted that my nephew (who could inherit under eldership!) was one, so I went for it.

EDIT: THAT ESCALATED

So one of the Child of Destiny events was a promise that he would be a god. I made it happen when the religion was reformed, I took the combo that makes you a god. Because well YEAH of course I did, it was thematic! And then the drat immortality event pops and just... jesus christ, the mystic was real and everything

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 12, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Finally got to play my copy of the Crusader Kings boardgame this week. I had a daughter with Humble and Honest and a Clever husband set up as my heir, and on the turn that my king was going to die some motherfucker plays A Child is Born on me and I get a Dim-witted son. 10/10, excellent interpretation of the source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Jedit posted:

Finally got to play my copy of the Crusader Kings boardgame this week. I had a daughter with Humble and Honest and a Clever husband set up as my heir, and on the turn that my king was going to die some motherfucker plays A Child is Born on me and I get a Dim-witted son. 10/10, excellent interpretation of the source material.

I've played this twice, and both times I made the mistake of sitting down-table from my girlfriend who does not pull punches. Especially in the second game where I almost never had more than 1 dynasty member alive at a time because she kept murdering my heirs. So yeah, excellent interpretation of the source material