Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Am I going to run into any problems with a 3600 and an 8gb rx480?

Currently on a 1080p monitor at the moment but would probably be upping that in the new year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
What do you mean by problem?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

LRADIKAL posted:

What do you mean by problem?

Sorry should have been a bit clearer. It's primarily going to be for gaming. Am I going to introduce any bottlenecks pairing those together?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You'd probably, be better off upgrading your graphics cards for games, but given that you didn't put your specs in here, it's hard to say. Also, there is a part picking thread.

Also we don't know what games you are playing, or what performance issues you are having.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 5, 2019

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I'll pop in over there. Cheers.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
I have the same GPU and I still consider sticking with it until something happens to GPU prices as they remain a "gently caress no" for me whatever I look at.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

TheCoach posted:

I have the same GPU and I still consider sticking with it until something happens to GPU prices as they remain a "gently caress no" for me whatever I look at.

Same but GTX980

Apparently a 1660ti is marginally faster for 1080p gaming but gently caress throwing down 3-400 for a marginal improvement on something that already lets me play games on ultra on 1920x1200 and racing games on medium-high at 5760x1200.

At this rate I'll probably be too old to see the difference by the time 4k becomes affordable enough to be worth it for me.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TorakFade posted:

Not here :italy: Amazon prices are usually within 10-15€ of the best PC parts shop prices as far as I know, barring temporary offers or whatever

e.g. the biggest and cheapest online shop here, so much that many suspect it uses shady tactics to avoid paying taxes, has Ryzen 2600X for 173€ VAT included so 7€ less than Amazon right now.

My humble opinion? PC parts shops used to have a great time before the internet and had extortionate prices, which they like to maintain now and still thrive because either they sell specialty things that are hard to find on Amazon, or they just undercut Amazon by the smallest margin possible.

I almost exclusively shop on Amazon for PC parts these days unless I'm looking for a specific thing that just is not on Amazon, or has an inflated price there (it happens).. especially because their "RMA" experience is just awesome, I had a problem with a RAM stick and they just sent a new one to me straight away, I received it next day when I hadn't even packed the defective one for return yet :stare:

Good luck getting that kind of service from a cheap online shop :) completely worth the extra 5-10€ IMO

AFAIK :italy: Amazon is kinda bad pricewise on anything PC that is not a ssd from Samsung or premade desktops/towers , eprice.it beats it routinely for parts. A core build (motherboard+cpu+ram) is average 50-80€ less, up to 150€ in some cases. The support experience from Amazon makes it for the extra cash, a hundo is worth to pay to be able to tell Asus to go gently caress themselves and have Amazon handle the rma.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
And ryzens are on sale here in Canada. Dumb question: is there's a big enough difference between the 2600x and the 2700 to make you spend the extra 80$ on the 2700?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Defenistrator posted:

And ryzens are on sale here in Canada. Dumb question: is there's a big enough difference between the 2600x and the 2700 to make you spend the extra 80$ on the 2700?

Do you have a use for 2 more cores?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Even in the US I do a lot of looking up stuff on Newegg/other retailers, and then make my actual purchase on Amazon. Though a lot of that is because Amazon's search algorithm is so horrible it makes me think the people that developed it must be actively malicious in wanting it to return garbage results. But outside of the horrible store front and search, once you actually purchase something on Amazon the customer support and service is better than pretty much anyone else on the web.

I would certainly never buy a monitor off Newegg for instance, even if it saved me $50 or more, their return policy for stuff like displays is pretty horrible (like they conform to the cheapest possible standard they can get away with legally). Often it is just worth a little extra cash to have some assurance of real customer service if something goes wrong, especially in the US where regulators and consumer protections are inconsistent and unreliable at best.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Some German website posted their review early and then promptly took it down but someone got parts of it.

https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/status/1147145891075121152?s=19

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

SlowBloke posted:

AFAIK :italy: Amazon is kinda bad pricewise on anything PC that is not a ssd from Samsung or premade desktops/towers , eprice.it beats it routinely for parts. A core build (motherboard+cpu+ram) is average 50-80€ less, up to 150€ in some cases. The support experience from Amazon makes it for the extra cash, a hundo is worth to pay to be able to tell Asus to go gently caress themselves and have Amazon handle the rma.

I just looked right now and Ryzen 2600X is 179€ on Eprice.it, that's basically the same price as Amazon

a MSI B450 Tomahawk is 98€ on Eprice, 104€ on Amazon

Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3000Mhz, 72€ on Eprice, 77€ on Amazon

so we have a grand total of 11€ difference in favor of eprice ... let's say we pick some more expensive sellers on Amazon, what will be the difference? 20-25€ in total?

I stand by my point and really have no idea what you guys are talking about, in my experience Amazon is incredibly competitive with prices unless it's some item they don't regularly stock and/or is in stock only from few third parties. Might that be because I have Prime and regularly buy there so they show me better prices? I'm really, really confused because I want to believe you guys but my experience (and quick research done right now) tells me the opposite :confused:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

Some German website posted their review early and then promptly took it down but someone got parts of it.

Looks like I'm still with Team Blue if I want to max out my 185hz 720p monitor. Sad.

eames
May 9, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

very impressive power consumption scores.

benchmarks seem rather useless because of RAM speeds.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

MaxxBot posted:

TLDR?:

No discernable latency hit for multi-chiplet on the 3900x
Power advantage for the 3700x over the 9900k is hilarious (not sure how PBO was used in the review). 3900x power is comparable to 9900k while adding all those juicy threads.
Cinebench r15 single thread over 205 pts. confirmed
Apart from IO and memory bandwidth, RIP most threadrippers (ouch).

Khorne
May 1, 2002

eames posted:

very impressive power consumption scores.

benchmarks seem rather useless because of RAM speeds.
Did they disclose RAM speeds? The description above the graphs seems ambiguous to me.

eames
May 9, 2009

Khorne posted:

Did they disclose RAM speeds? The description above the graphs seems ambiguous to me.

yes, it's listed in the benchmark charts. Coffee Lake on DDR-4 2667, Zen 2 on DDR4-3200.
I hope that's just this one review and not the result of "reviewing guidelines".

eames fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 5, 2019

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Khorne posted:

Yeah, max for each CPU means the Intel chips are crippled by 2666 here, let alone timings.

The 3700X matching the 9900K in x265 with 95W less power is still pretty impressive though.

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 5, 2019

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TorakFade posted:

I just looked right now and Ryzen 2600X is 179€ on Eprice.it, that's basically the same price as Amazon

a MSI B450 Tomahawk is 98€ on Eprice, 104€ on Amazon

so we have a grand total of 11€ difference in favor of eprice ... let's say we pick some more expensive sellers on Amazon, what will be the difference? 20-25€ in total?

I stand by my point and really have no idea what you guys are talking about, in my experience Amazon is incredibly competitive with prices unless it's some item they don't regularly stock and/or is in stock only from few third parties. Might that be because I have Prime and regularly buy there so they show me better prices? I'm really, really confused because I want to believe you guys but my experience (and quick research done right now) tells me the opposite :confused:

Not a big AMD shopper so i will admit defeat in this case. While I'm not a big fan of amazon on a personal level i don't miss the old webshops like CHL (which had massive markups) or Exon/Yashi(which kept prices low by selling second rate kit) one bit.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 5, 2019

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

eames posted:

yes, it's listed in the benchmark charts. Coffee Lake on DDR-4 2667, Zen 2 on DDR4-3200.
I hope that's just this one review and not the result of "reviewing guidelines".

Those are the officially supported max speeds on both platforms with single rank. A lot of reviewers are likely going to do the same thing because they are reviewing the product, not necessarily trying to show IPC differences. I know AT always does this and lots of people get mad.

I'm sure someone will do a test with identical memory to get an IPC comparison, though.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

sincx posted:

Is this the only 2x16GB 3600 CAS16 kit out there?

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236544

It's double the price of the 2x16GB 3600 CAS19 kits.

I have the vengeance cl16 3333 and it runs 3600 at stock volts, your ymmv of course.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Cygni posted:

Those are the officially supported max speeds on both platforms with single rank. A lot of reviewers are likely going to do the same thing because they are reviewing the product, not necessarily trying to show IPC differences. I know AT always does this and lots of people get mad.

I'm sure someone will do a test with identical memory to get an IPC comparison, though.

It doesn't matter what excuse they use, it's garbage. No one who cares about benchmarks is running 2666 on a 9900k.

3peat
May 6, 2010

TorakFade posted:

I posted about it before, but if you want cheap fast ram get Micron E-die like this one https://www.amazon.it/Ballistix-BLS...pc&sr=1-47&th=1 or anything else that has 'AES' in the product code (as that means it-s E-die). They can do 3600 CL16 or even CL14 on first/second gen Ryzen, but you'll need to overclock them manually.

edit: a helpful thread from today https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/c9da2x/for_those_on_a_budget_still_wanting_to_get_to/ , with this guy posting his timings https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/c9da2x/for_those_on_a_budget_still_wanting_to_get_to/eswgci0/

3peat fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 5, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sincx posted:

Is this the only 2x16GB 3600 CAS16 kit out there?

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236544

It's double the price of the 2x16GB 3600 CAS19 kits.
I'd buy this kit instead. Although it was $220 a few weeks ago. It should hit the same timings as the other one provided you don't mind messing with it a bit. It's actually the one I own right now and I'll be seeing how it goes on sunday.

4x8 supposedly performs slightly better than 2x16, and that was true on zen+ too. Not enough for it to matter, but it might open up more RAM kit options for you if you have no intention of going up to 64gb. Might be worth waiting until 1usmus' RAM review drops on the 7th. There isn't a lot of good information here yet. There are also 32gb sticks now.

I'd also consider just getting micron rev.e sticks. They're way cheaper, and it's probably the route I'd go if I didn't already have 2x16 of bdie. Despite the 3000 C15 rating, if you throw voltage at them they will achieve 3600 C16 no problem. Some kits even achieve 3600 C14 stable on zen+, nevermind zen2. The most prominent micron rev.e sticks are the ballistix sport kits with AES in the product code. Amazon link to an example kit. They're ~$34 per 8gb too which is nice. Other style. The drawback to rev.e is you're playing the lottery a bit, need good airflow if you're going to increase voltage to them, and playing with RAM timings can be a little frustrating at times because it's one thing you don't want to be unstable.

There's less information on overclocking the 16gb micron rev.e sticks. I suspect they hit much worse timings because rev.e performing well relies on throwing high voltage (1.46V-1.50V) at them and thermals can be an issue. Dual rank will do no favors there. Which brings me to the other point, some of the cheaper AM4 B450/B350 motherboards won't even let you throw more than 1.4V at RAM. There was someone who achieved over DDR4 4000 stable with 16gb rev.e sticks, but his CL wasn't good at all and he didn't post any timings at lower clocks. If you're set on 16gb sticks, bdie is probably still the way to go there. But I could be wrong here. It's not well charted territory. At any rate, bdie won't be worse than rev.e it just costs more.

Also, if anyone knows a good, affordable xmp kit to recommend to people who don't want to touch RAM timings please post. And please correct me on the 16gb sticks of micron rev.e if you know more.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 5, 2019

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
In fact, looks like the 16GB 3200 E-die is on sale for $62 with code on page right now: https://www.newegg.com/ballistix-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820164131?Item=N82E16820164131

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

MaxxBot posted:

AMD is really hitting their stride with Zen 2. Goddamn. It really has everything.

Those 720p results really cluster too tightly, and really seem to be hitting some other type of bottleneck, maybe engine bottlenecks, who knows. Example, Wolfenstein - 9900K top average, but minimums are in the shitter, lower than a 7700K. It doesn't seem like performance is really being measured properly, there.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 5, 2019

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Alucardd posted:

In fact, looks like the 16GB 3200 E-die is on sale for $62 with code on page right now: https://www.newegg.com/ballistix-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820164131?Item=N82E16820164131

What's a better option:. The ram you linked, or this... https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232306

I have the trident ordered on backorder for $175

But Reddit is raving about the e-die ballistic ram you linked. AMD also says 3600 is the sweet spot, so why would I want 3200 ram?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm only really interested in frame time consistency. Wonder how that is.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Was hoping for more impressive results on the games side, but judging by the rear end Creed benchmark, it looks like AMD could really shine when developers start targeting multithreading more aggressively.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Game Cache just kicked in yo'

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Icept posted:

Was hoping for more impressive results on the games side, but judging by the rear end Creed benchmark, it looks like AMD could really shine when developers start targeting multithreading more aggressively.

This, like raytracing, is something that will come with console support. Ok fine, both the XBOne and PS4 are multi-core. That's something that has pushed multi-threaded games forward, and now that those are here to stay. Once more engines support it, AMD has the edge assuming nothing changes on Intel's side.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Amd cpus have the fabled 32 mb of esram now

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Icept posted:

Agreed, there def is some seesawing depending on the game. The 10 million game Hardware Unboxed test will be interesting.

Apparently AMD just dropped the press Navi driver on reviewers today with the embargo ending on Sunday. Zen2 +X570 boards + Navi + AIB Nvidia Supers all at the same time, pour a little out for tech websites and youtubers.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

Some of those game benchmarks seem odd considering even the 2700X is significantly higher on other outlets than what they have for it:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-2700x/12.html
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-third-party-gaming-benchmarks-offers-smooth-framerates-but-not-as-good-as-the-i7-8700k/

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Zotix posted:

What's a better option:. The ram you linked, or this... https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232306

I have the trident ordered on backorder for $175

But Reddit is raving about the e-die ballistic ram you linked. AMD also says 3600 is the sweet spot, so why would I want 3200 ram?

Because e-die overclocks real well at low timings, as long as you don't mind putting in a bit of extra work.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

If they're new tests, it could be because of fixes and updates to Windows' scheduler.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
So if you want good speeds, good timings, 32gb (2x16 because mITX) and preferably RGB because it looks cool even if it'll be turned off most of the time... What's the path forward? I don't mind an OC if it's gonna be reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
What CAS 16 ram would you recommend getting for a 3700x?

Based in uk