Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I'd like to congratulate everyone on creating 500 levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

seems like i will always be half-way done with the list

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

cheetah7071 posted:

The most surprising part of this post is that somebody wanted to play a water level

Hey I'm just trying to give what was asked.

V:shobon:v

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Welp, I'm tired, and I should be in bed right now, but I'm not, and instead I finshed this level. Enjoy...

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1147144396762013696

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DalaranJ posted:

Whoa :psyduck: That's crazy! Yes, congrats! That means that, if you were to simply stick to just Goon-made levels, you'd still have 5x the content of a regular Mario game (yes, I know the quality varies in SMM2).

And we're literally a week after release. That's insane in the best way possible :toot:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Man, I made a neat little puzzle piece but I can see a spot where players could crawl in and get trapped and now I'm not sure about it. It should only be possible when they've more or less solved the puzzle, can I trust them not to crawl into a visibly enclosed space? :ohdear:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

NofrikinfuN posted:

Man, I made a neat little puzzle piece but I can see a spot where players could crawl in and get trapped and now I'm not sure about it. It should only be possible when they've more or less solved the puzzle, can I trust them not to crawl into a visibly enclosed space? :ohdear:

*checks my level that was strictly about letting people just run into visibly enclosed spaces to get trapped without even forcing them to do so.*

Uhh, yea, they will in fact do that.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

DalaranJ posted:

That's nuts. And the goon quality is pretty good too! I know I'm mostly improving.

Edit post:

A friend of mine posted the WR on my Blitz level to YouTube, how cool!

https://youtu.be/vMamC66M8Y0

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 5, 2019

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

OneMoreTime posted:

I liked it. My only problem with it is something that's more to do with a flaw in Mario Maker than with what you did: The level is quite long without checkpoints. The tight jumps in the donut block section were a slight problem for instance, and I could see one or two deaths there turning a few people off. Sadly wish Mario Maker allowed checkpoints in these sort of stages as that would completely mitigate this problem.

Otherwise I liked the varied platforming challenges that were present. with the exception of a couple of deaths of aforementioned donut block section I felt like any mistakes I made were mine, which I feel like is a good sign for a level. It's good!

i had a checkpoint in the lobby the whole time and didn't realize you couldn't also have a course condition until i was finishing up :( but i wanna mess around with keys more as a workaround. thank you for the feedback!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i haven't played a toooon of levels yet but I've yet to play a goon level i didn't like :)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Check out this really dang hard level! It's good! (not mine)

Hot Sponge - by RyuSMM

91C-MPM-7LF

I'm way more proud of this screenshot than I should be.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ryu's level is like 95% incredible kaizo fun but without kaizo tricks like shell jumps--just tricky platforming, all super fun.

The other 5% is a kind of lame boss fight and that loving spiny jump

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Someone explain to me why 3D world doesn't have vines or seesaws. :mad:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

cheetah7071 posted:

Ryu's level is like 95% incredible kaizo fun but without kaizo tricks like shell jumps--just tricky platforming, all super fun.

The other 5% is a kind of lame boss fight and that loving spiny jump

Yeah, it really was about as fun as a kaizo level can be. I had a lot of fun dying over and over and over and over and over before finally getting to the end.

Also I probably would have taken 3 times as long to beat it if not for those two blocks above the boss' head being next to each other (one red and one blue) meaning that you can stand still over the middle of them and not worry about falling, even though they switch automatically every couple of seconds.

NofrikinfuN posted:

Someone explain to me why 3D world doesn't have vines or seesaws. :mad:

I think the 3D world would be my favorite style aesthetically but for the super loud crunch sounds that play when Mario transitions to running. It's way too loud and forward in the mix for what it is and for how often it occurs. It's also entirely unnecessary as you can already tel Mario is running due to the change in run animation, the dust cloud appearing, and you know... actually moving faster.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 5, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I can't beat even slightly kaizo levels unfortunately.

I had my first course to 50 likes today! Jungle Jinks is pretty popular though it still only has a like:play ratio of ~25%.

Subterranean Terror meanwhile has only two likes since last night and most people can't clear it. It needs more plays to sort it into the proper pool where it will actually be appreciated.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah, it really was about as fun as a kaizo level can be. I had a lot of fun dying over and over and over and over and over before finally getting to the end.

Also I probably would have taken 3 times as long to beat it if not for those two blocks above the boss' head being next to each other (one red and one blue) that you can stand still in the middle of and not worry about falling, even though they switch automatically every couple of seconds.

Yeah the boss was kinda lame but not that hard

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

My 5th level:

Mario Mining Company Interview

2Y3-HK3-R2G

Job Description: Box Stacking, Thwomp Destruction, Plant Extermination. Will YOU get hired by the glorious MMC?

I love doing these levels with a little theme running through. Any feedback appreciated.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

NofrikinfuN posted:

can I trust [players] not to

Just gonna cut you off here and say that no matter how you finish this question, the answer is always No.

Regardless of how obvious you try to make it that a potential route is a dead-end trap, someone is going to dive in without even really looking at where it leads. If it's an area the player should never enter for any reason, maybe stick spikes or munchers or fire bars or some other obstacle there to make absolutely clear it's not worth it?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tender Bender posted:

I'm making a snow level based around platforms moving on tracks but I'm having trouble making it interesting. Any ideas for challenges? I've got some twister dudes who blow you around and icicles that fall but it doesn't feel very engaging.

Stompable flying enemies are great because they're both an obstacle and a platforming element. I like building setups where you can either take it slow and dodge the enemies, or bounce across them for speed/shortcuts if you're feeling saucy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/BorlandCorp/status/1147169771416276992?s=19

Finally finished my Link's Awakening level.

Warning: I generally went with accuracy over convenience in a lot of places. So once you get the feather, don't get hit or you'll have to go back. I do have feather refresh stations once you reach the miniboss.

I made killing the nightmare the win condition, but there are two mini nightmares in the main room and you'll have to kill them too.

Mario's Awakening - Tail Cave
DVM 3L6 R2G

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

What's the best way to advertise my courses besides here with goons? I've been playing for a week and none of my courses have hit 300 plays yet and I think they're of decent quality for the most part.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I redid my first level, slowing down the beetle spawn, clarifying the expectations of the opening screen, and clearing out some of the more intimidating obstacles. Hopefully it's a little more fun, even if the gimmick hasn't changed.

Buzzy Beanstalk
SGB-937-NBG

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Lugaloco posted:

My 5th level:

Mario Mining Company Interview

2Y3-HK3-R2G

Job Description: Box Stacking, Thwomp Destruction, Plant Extermination. Will YOU get hired by the glorious MMC?

I love doing these levels with a little theme running through. Any feedback appreciated.

:negative:

I love it. It makes me ashamed of my Maker Mario offering. There's a lot of variety in the action and it sticks to the theme, looks great, plays great.

I hope my next Maker Mario level is half as good as this one.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Lobster posted:

What's the best way to advertise my courses besides here with goons? I've been playing for a week and none of my courses have hit 300 plays yet and I think they're of decent quality for the most part.

Pretty much the only way to get more than a hundred plays or so at this point is to be tied to something else popular. You'll keep ticking up if you're in the endless pool, of course, but unless something big signal boosts you then it's just part of the noise of the hundreds of thousands of makers. Think about how tough it is to get a level noticed just in this thread and consider how we're just a drop in that. A tiny drop that's doing better stuff than 90% of what's being uploaded (look, you can only say "nice level" so many times when you're playing these and calling out anything that stands out is all I can do when commenting; I hit "I like this" for anything that shows a base level of effort and creativity and I think I've hit for about 75% of goon stages).

My advice: don't worry about it. Make levels to amuse yourself, share them, and don't care if they go viral or just quietly fade away.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I have a level I could enter in the jam, but I'm not done testing it, and probably won't get a chance to work on it more until tonight. How late is too late to enter?

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Made an enemyless, autoscrolling, swimming, no ground touch challenge level that turns semisolids into your worst nightmare, check it out:

Space Station Vexation - LWJ 6Q2 0XG

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The Lobster posted:

If you're really interested in 'advertising' your courses you can just go bug some streamers to play them.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, hit streamers up who are doing viewer levels and maybe post it to reddit

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Even if you're not interested in climbing the 'Mario Maker Course Creator Fame Ladder' or whatever it can be really helpful to actually physically watch other people play your course, especially if you like to make difficult levels and your roommates are less than stellar Mario players.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

eonwe posted:

Yeah, hit streamers up who are doing viewer levels and maybe post it to reddit

Streamers like eonwe, for example!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I made a stage.

Super Hard Snake House - VKR-KDD-MTG

Check it out if you like creative uses for snake blocks, I tried to use them in lots of fun and different ways. The stage turned out extremely hard, though, so I’d recommend skipping it if you aren’t up for a really tricky level.

It’s quite difficult to make Mario go straight up, I think, just because you have low visibility of things above you. I think if you really want a good stage, you’re pretty much limited to obvious patterns (so the player knows what’s coming) or a few enemies that travel vertically, like the SMB3 cannons.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Plebian Parasite posted:

Even if you're not interested in climbing the 'Mario Maker Course Creator Fame Ladder' or whatever it can be really helpful to actually physically watch other people play your course, especially if you like to make difficult levels and your roommates are less than stellar Mario players.

or waaaay better players than you are, as in my case where I was stunned to see shortcuts and optimized running that I had never considered or attempted

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Streaming goon levels for the first time! Post your codes and I'll do 'em, otherwise I'll do random ones from Random Acts of Mario.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NofrikinfuN posted:

Streamers like eonwe, for example!

lol, lobster can get all of that influence I command

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

eonwe posted:

lol, lobster can get all of that influence I command

Eonwe already kindly plays all my levels! Thank you!

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Man even with having played Mario games most of my life, building a level for others to play is daunting in a way I never realized.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
I got a couple of comments saying my level was too hard, so I decreased the difficulty level and changed a few things.

Desert Fortress: Q94-1JG-22G

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Ok. i blitzed a very short level - 4VY-5WR-W9G Bye bye yoshi

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm doing more jam levels. Hopefully I'm getting to the bottom of the list of these.

Switch It Up
27X-1HV-J6G
By: d3lness

Nice little stage. I appreciate that you included backtrack doors, but it helps to put a signal on them that they are backtrack doors. An error or disappointment sound effect when the player approaches them is a good way. Isolating the door and placing an arrow to indicate that it backtracks is also helpful. It doesn't prevent players from stumbling through it going, "What is the creator trying to hide from me?" but it minimizes that.

I noticed something you need to be careful about. The lava in your castle segments goes up one tile and stops. I made the same mistake on one of my stages, wanting to use a gentle bobbing fluid as stage decoration but overlooking that you have to hit the circle switch it from "move once" to "repeat the motion". All of the liquid movement stuff is not well documented so it's easy to miss.

Thwack-a-Thwomp
MVM-VFX-S0G
By: Flint_Paper

Cool short gimmick. The way you start the big thwomp coming down as a signal to the player in the second room worked pretty well when it could have gone very badly.

Just switching things up
Y12-1K9-FFG
By: Cactrot

I got stuck at the red shell toss up at the top of the steps because the shell bopped off the naked koopa and all of the other shells had been destroyed. If you require a shell to continue, it's a really good idea to make sure there can always been another one (tossing out of a black launcher will make it slow and insure there's only one spawn) or player can reset the area.

Then I actually softlocked in the shell bouncing area where I ran into the box thinking that the still not visible part below that would be a pit and instead I got into the shell trap. With no way to hurt myself, my options were wait for the timer or abandon the checkpoint progress and start over from the beginning.

I noticed more lock up possibilities like players could become trapped and unable to move inside the on/off switch blocks at some points in the level.

And that's it. I've played every single level submitted to the jam so far. I might have to go do more random levels now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Rollersnake posted:

I have a level I could enter in the jam, but I'm not done testing it, and probably won't get a chance to work on it more until tonight. How late is too late to enter?

I don't think there are any prizes or anything, so long as you up it before Mario Maker 3 :shrug: