Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop
Yeah the clutch changes are totally worth it. I have an aftermarket clutch (heavier) and have removed the clutch flow restriction and spring. I drove my brother-in-laws stock GTI the other day and almost put my foot through the floorboard. It was so light it felt broken at first. The engagement point was also pretty vague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Suburban Dad posted:

when you get to 20k miles and can't reset your "INSPECTION NOW!" light without it or another scantool like VAGCOM or whatever, it's more worth it. gently caress having to go to the dealer for something so simple.

I more meant free to unplug it versus spending $50 to accomplish the same thing. I agree with you both in that the other benefits of the tool make it worth it to buy. :)

mrtrunks84 posted:

Yeah the clutch changes are totally worth it. I have an aftermarket clutch (heavier) and have removed the clutch flow restriction and spring. I drove my brother-in-laws stock GTI the other day and almost put my foot through the floorboard. It was so light it felt broken at first. The engagement point was also pretty vague.

Yeah, it is a pretty big difference in terms of feel even with the stock pressure plate. I suggest doing it to prolong clutch life since it is already weak with stock power and the forced slipping action caused by the clutch flow restrictor produces a cascading effect.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

BlackMK4 posted:

i was serious about the two clutch changes i mentioned :v:

BlackMK4 posted:

either way, remove the clutch hydraulic fluid flow restrictor and spring on the clutch pedal

Are these things I should need to get a professional to do, or as someone generally handy (but not experienced in working on cars) could I do them myself?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if you feel comfortable separating the transmission from the engine and replacing the clutch you are fine for literally any car maintenance task for a contemporary car friend.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BlackMK4 posted:

I more meant free to unplug it versus spending $50 to accomplish the same thing. I agree with you both in that the other benefits of the tool make it worth it to buy. :)

Fair. I didn't want to unplug it and invite water/corrosion into the wiring harness. Probably paranoid but I feel better about it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

sneakyfrog posted:

if you feel comfortable separating the transmission from the engine and replacing the clutch you are fine for literally any car maintenance task for a contemporary car friend.

Oh I’m not comfortable with that by any means. I was referring to the hydraulic fluid flow restrictor/delay valve removal and the spring removal. The latter seems easy enough, not sure about the former since it seems like a lot of fluid would bleed out.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Suburban Dad posted:

Fair. I didn't want to unplug it and invite water/corrosion into the wiring harness. Probably paranoid but I feel better about it.

Sorry, I live in a bubble where it rains fairly rarely and have never seen rust / corrosion in my life :v: I didn't think about that.

The fluid issue isn't a big deal, I remember putting a speed bleeder in place of my bleed valve when I did mine. That'll let you crack the bleeder open and pump away at the pedal as long as you keep the res full.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Do folks here still own 500 Abarths? Or are they not cool anymore and people have moved on.

But nah, in all seriousness I'm looking for opinions of folks who owned them. I figured here would be a better place to ask than the buying a new car thread since its avout a specific model?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
they are fun and tiny

i mean like tinier than a fiesta.

if you are ok with that you will be ok with a 500 abarth.

but its an even slower fast car than a fiesta

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

ishikabibble posted:

Do folks here still own 500 Abarths? Or are they not cool anymore and people have moved on.

But nah, in all seriousness I'm looking for opinions of folks who owned them. I figured here would be a better place to ask than the buying a new car thread since its avout a specific model?

There was a 500 thread like 3-4 years ago but nobody posted in it for a long time and it got locked.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

ishikabibble posted:

I've had one for about four years that I just replaced with a FoST. I love the car and don't want to sell it. It's sitting in my backyard and I'm gonna have to list it soon :smith:

Some quick thoughts:

- It feels like you're going a lot faster than you actually are because the car is small and loud.

- It's fun to drive if you like people asking you about or commenting on your car. Older ladies especially love it lol.

- It is the best sounding stock car in hot hatch history. I loved cold starting that car every morning.

- The ride is bumpy, which I don't mind that much, but passengers usually don't like it.

- The car sucks on the highway. The exhaust, wind noise and road noise just get to you after a while.

- Both of my CV axles and the steering column had to be replaced. I do not drive rough, track the car or anything like that.

If you have any specific questions let me know. I know the resale value on the Abarth dropped like crazy, so you could pick one up cheap and have a blast with it.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

ishikabibble posted:

You should ask in the other thread as well; you will unleash a furious fount of insufferable Stockholm syndrome from the FCA/500 prophet that lives there. With lots of abarth info.

But don’t buy FCA.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
poor eyebeem got banned a while back and he liked his two abarths

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
i was wondering what happened to stroller chat, what happened there?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I know abarths always rev at me like they want to dabble. I have no idea how fast they are but it makes me smile.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

PaintVagrant posted:

I know abarths always rev at me like they want to dabble. I have no idea how fast they are but it makes me smile.

They aren't actually fast, but they are made to fool you into thinking they are.

It's like a small, angry, loud dog

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

i was wondering what happened to stroller chat, what happened there?

some moderator found out that his account was an alt of an older account (which was previously permabanned from SA-MART for nondelivery of goods)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

PaintVagrant posted:

not fast

but they are really fun!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I worked with a nurse once that had an Abarth with a huge fart can on it. You could hear it inside when she revved it even a little. Sounded like a baby having a high-pressure diaper blowout through stadium amplifiers.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
are you trying to say that's a bad thing

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The Abarth's are ugly as gently caress, but a dealer tossed me the keys so I could make vroom vroom noises at cars and coffee, and my god the SOUND

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

BraveUlysses posted:

clearly already there!

Heh. I'm only bored with the OEM shift knob and the Soundaktor is a little annoying. I really like it otherwise. It is especially nice to have a car that will actually accelerate when I press the accelerator, and the improved fuel economy over my late 90s econobox is a big plus too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

is it the golf ball one

Yeah I think it's neat it just feels very plasticky. BFI makes one that looks similar but apparently has more actual heft to it, as well as various other options that look good. I'm also looking into the Raceseng offerings.

Suburban Dad posted:

OBDeleven and a d-dock for your phone are my favorite little things.

revmoo posted:

Don't do this, just spend the $50 on a OBDELEVEN

So an OBDeleven (plus the app) lets you just disable the soundaktor? That's good to know.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

revmoo posted:

The Abarth's are ugly as gently caress, but a dealer tossed me the keys so I could make vroom vroom noises at cars and coffee, and my god the SOUND

Seriously the sounds they make are easily the best of this segment

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Quite A Tool posted:

Seriously the sounds they make are easily the best of this segment

Do they even have a muffler on them? I just looked a video up as I'm balls deep in a bit of a nightmare custom exhaust saga on my FiST and looking for ideas. It sounds very similar to when people with FiSTs go straight piped/muffler delete?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Apollodorus posted:

So an OBDeleven (plus the app) lets you just disable the soundaktor? That's good to know.

Among many, many, many other things. An OBDELEVEN must be a day one purchase for anyone that gets a GTI. It should probably come with the car.

Also, as a bonus you can see the long list of electric faults your nervous cat of a vehicle throws under normal operation. Pulling codes after 3 months of driving is a loving LIST.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

revmoo posted:

Among many, many, many other things. An OBDELEVEN must be a day one purchase for anyone that gets a GTI. It should probably come with the car.

Also, as a bonus you can see the long list of electric faults your nervous cat of a vehicle throws under normal operation. Pulling codes after 3 months of driving is a loving LIST.

Doing some reading up on it, I see what you mean. It looks like something I need for sure. I have an iPhone and they iOS compatible OBD11s are out of stock, but maybe I can just use my wife's Amazon Kindle Fire. Or buy a refurb one.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Do they even have a muffler on them? I just looked a video up as I'm balls deep in a bit of a nightmare custom exhaust saga on my FiST and looking for ideas. It sounds very similar to when people with FiSTs go straight piped/muffler delete?

What exhaust do be you have now?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

revmoo posted:

2 years and 22k miles and literally not a single problem at all

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

They came from the factory with a glass pack.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

PaintVagrant posted:

What exhaust do be you have now?

Custom. It's turned into an iterative process, unfortunately.

Based on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNygLtSPIak which featured stock pipe size with a de-res and a Magnaflow muffler and sounded like pretty much exactly what I wanted, I instructed the shop doing the work to make a 2.5" system with the equivalent Magnaflow muffler and some custom droop tips because nobody rocks droop tips anymore.

It was really droney and a lot louder than I wanted.

So then we put in the biggest cylindrical straight-through muffler we could fit up where the resonator used to go. It's an Australian-made muffler with high-quality fibreglass fill. This quieted it a bit but didn't really deal with the drone which still existed from about 2.5k RPM to 4k RPM.

We did a test with a custom-built straight through fibreglass-filled muffler from another Aussie company replacing the Magnaflow, and it was so quiet I was worried it would end up being TOO quiet, and the drone was almost completely dealt with. However I plan to fit a sports cat so a bit quiet now is good, it will get louder then. Based on that test, we ordered the longest case length we could fit in the same oval dimensions from that company.

Before the new muffler arrived, I went for the first proper hard drive since any of the exhaust work and in the days after I noticed the car seemed louder and dronier than before. So I'm guessing the front muffler copped a flogging and maybe lost some fill or something.

When the new custom-made muffler arrived and they fitted it, it was not any quieter, and I wasn't sure but it seemed even worse actually. I was gutted, LOL.

The only things I could think of as variables were:

1. Maybe that shorter (16") muffler we tested with was a magical size and there was some destructive stuff going on in the muffler which cancelled out the drone and really quieted the car.
2. The tailpipe on the car for that test was a plain 2.5" piece of pipe with a short piece on a 45 degree angle at the end, whereas my tips are made of a collector and dual 3" droop tips which don't stick back past the bumper and fire the sound down at the ground, and maybe even act like the bell on a trumpet given the collector shape or something?
3. The tips were adjusted to fire even more downward than they were before this new muffler was fitted, so that may have accounted for it seeming slightly louder even?
4. The fact that the car got louder after that spirited drive a few days before this new muffler was fitted

Anyway, tomorrow morning we embark on the next leg of the journey: I got my hands on a FoST front resonator, and we're going to replace the front cylindrical muffler with that - given the resonator is reactive it will hopefully be much better at knocking out the drone.. it's a mix of perforated pipe and normal pipe with the walls missing in parts and some kind of chamber, so it definitely looks like it's made to gobble up sound waves. I went for a FoST resonator because it's 2.5" in 2.25" out, my guys will stretch the output to 2.5".

I'm ditching the droop tips either way, because they foul on a bracket just next to the cut out in the rear bumper. So if the tips were a factor that should also be dealt with.

Pray for me, hot hatch brothers. I can't take another failed attempt to shut this thing up.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 4, 2019

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

BraveUlysses posted:

2 years and 22k miles and literally not a single problem at all

That's honestly shocking. Hell I get codes for my heated seat when I turn it on to keep food warm without a passenger in it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

are you trying to say that's a bad thing

I would never kink-shame anyone who enjoys amplified baby-making GBS threads sounds

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
loud pipes save lives

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Taking my RS to Pittsburgh Raceway for an HPDE this month. Considering I haven't changed the brake pads since I bought it (2 years ago, about 14k miles), I'm sure I'll need new pads by the end of it. Any recommendations?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Usage? If track-only, what level tire grip? (hoho > re71r/rival s 1.5 > nt01/rc1 > other 200tw tires)

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

loud pipes save lives

[✔️] Strongly disagree

The thing is the car as it stands now isn’t that loud from outside. It’s just the drone. THE DRONE.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Usage? If track-only, what level tire grip? (hoho > re71r/rival s 1.5 > nt01/rc1 > other 200tw tires)

99% street with some random track days thrown in. Michelin Cup 2's, but I may switch to the PS4S when these give up the ghost because :shepspends:

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Here4DaGangBang posted:

[✔️] Strongly disagree

The thing is the car as it stands now isn’t that loud from outside. It’s just the drone. THE DRONE.

Oh I understand and agree. One of my cars was a '96 civic coupe, straight piped. The drone is maddening, and nothing that slow needs to be that loud.

But abarths make me smile when they really get on it, and I'm down with them being ear shatteringly loud at all times.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Oh I understand and agree. One of my cars was a '96 civic coupe, straight piped. The drone is maddening, and nothing that slow needs to be that loud.

But abarths make me smile when they really get on it, and I'm down with them being ear shatteringly loud at all times.

They need to sound like a pissed off beehive shoved in a metal box. They're angry shoes! Angry shoes full of bees. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Man Abarth 500s are so drat cheap used... is the reliability really that bad?

And yeah they sound angry as hell