Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Generally if you can't get a vac on on a foodsaver you want to check two things: One, that the bag itself is intact when you start, and two that there is no gunk or debris on the rubber parts of the foodsaver that clamp on the bag. I wipe it down with a wet paper towel every time I use it, because anything on those parts means it can't seal tightly around the bag so when it pumps it's just sucking in air around the outside of the bag and not from within the bag. Also make sure that the inside part of the bag that will be sealed is wiped clean. Stray spices and whatnot can stop it from fusing to the two sides together and you'll get a leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Also if it's a cheaper model where you sort of have to lean on it to make the seal, those things are kind of a pain in the rear end.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

If the vac seal fails to seal the first time you should cut off the part that was heated up and try again. My machine won't pull much air out if I try to reseal the same part of the bag.

Edit: also I thought double sealing was only for using zip lock bags not vac sealing.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The sealing is the one thing that’s actually been working pretty good. It’s the vacuuming that’s poo poo.

And it was the edge of the bag that split open overnight, so even if the sealer was working perfectly, it seems there’s nothing that could have been done to prevent that (except double bagging, I guess.)

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Also make sure that the inside part of the bag that will be sealed is wiped clean. Stray spices and whatnot can stop it from fusing to the two sides together and you'll get a leak.

After seeing it recommended somewhere, I've been rolling back the edges of the bag a couple inches before putting the food in. It makes it a lot easier to keep the seal area clean.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
My vacuum sealer is finicky. I've had to learn what to do in order to get a good seal. For instance the end I'm sealing needs to be inserted deep into the catch tray to get a good vacuum. Getting a good seal as mentioned needs to have nothing between the 2 sides of plastic. I'm sure everything is still edible.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Well, I’m only about 10 hours in, and it’s a disaster so far. :v:

I bought a Food Saver vacuum sealer specifically for this, and either the one I have is defective or it just sucks (and not in the way it’s supposed to). The first time I tried to vacuum seal something as a test run, it took 3 tries to get it even close to what you would describe as a vacuum sealed package. Then I did another test run and it got it on the first try, so I figured maybe it just needed some warming up or something.

Bagged up my brisket and started up the vac sealer, and it did a reasonably good job. Then I remembered reading it might be a good idea to double bag for these long cooks, so I bagged up the sealed brisket and tried to vac seal that, and it just would not happen. The sealer would run for 5 minutes or so, then stop, and there would still be a ton of air in the bag. Tried this twice with the same results, and then decided to just roll the dice with the single sealed bag. So I popped it in the water and went to bed.

Oops.

Woke up this morning to some nasty looking brown water. When I got the meat out of the bath, I saw that the bag failed, though NOT at one of the seams that was made by the vac sealer. The bag had ripped along one of the edges on the side.

Figuring that it ripped because the whole brisket was probably too much for one bag, I took it out and cut it in half and rebagged each half separately. I tried to pour some of the juice back into these new bags, but still ended up losing a ton of juice. :(

Resealed these new bags (still not a perfect vacuum but pretty good), replaced the water, and popped these babies back in.

I have no idea how these will turn out now. I considered just dumping the whole thing but that seems like a waste at this point. If it turns out inedible I’ll just dump it then.

I have to admit this got me chuckling. It gave me the mental image of one of the “there has to be a better way!” commercials. I wonder if you got a faulty roll of sealer material. The only time I have issues sealing is when there is either too much liquid coming out as it vacs, or when the bag is too crinkly and wont seal flat.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Best upgrade I ever made was to buy an old one because everything Currently produced for less than $500 is poo poo. https://www.ebay.com/i/293046141268...QBoC8o4QAvD_BwE

Hauki
May 11, 2010

made some basic caraway kraut, then svizzled brats in beer with sweet onion & butter, plus sv new potatoes with a little thyme & rosemary, finished it all on the grill along with some corn & poblanos, made a quick sauce with the reduced bag juice, glazed the veg in that

all in all p. chill holiday food, would sv a sausage again, texture was perfect

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Does anyone own a chamber vacuum sealer and is it worth the >$500 premium over a regular sealer? I'm intrigued by the fact that it can seal liquids but the cost and limited bag size makes me hesitant. Not to mention most recipes I do are usually dry rubs.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've been wanting one for years but can't justify the cost or real estate investment required.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

halokiller posted:

Does anyone own a chamber vacuum sealer and is it worth the >$500 premium over a regular sealer? I'm intrigued by the fact that it can seal liquids but the cost and limited bag size makes me hesitant. Not to mention most recipes I do are usually dry rubs.

Not worth it if you're just doing sous vide. Honestly just using the water to remove air from heavy duty ziplocs works perfectly for most everything, and the reusable silicone bags can handle the long/high temp cooks.

The other fun stuff you can do with a chamber sealer is the real reason to get it. Turns out when you can boil liquids at room temperature you can get up to all sorts of shenanigans.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sextro posted:

the reusable silicone bags can handle the long/high temp cooks.

How are these? Are they annoying to clean? I’ve been tempted by them a bit. I might still need to use plastic for big stuff like brisket, I guess.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

How are these? Are they annoying to clean? I’ve been tempted by them a bit. I might still need to use plastic for big stuff like brisket, I guess.

They're easy to clean, but some odor can linger if you don't give them the full "boil for 10 minutes" cleaning. I've seen some people mention having issues with them being too stiff to seal, but that is probably because they overloaded their bag and were trying to force it shut.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’ve been out of the loop for a while. My Anova One was trucking along great till it totally melted its power inlet a few months ago. Are any of the “prime day” sales a good fit for me?

Seems like the two with real discounts are Anova Nano for $65 and the Joule for $120. I’m a little worried about stepping down to 700 watts with the Nano. I almost exclusively cook in a Partystacker cooler, and my 1000w One already took a long time to heat. Maybe I need to step down to a smaller container.

The Joule seems cool too, but that lack of on-device controls. I don’t know if that’s something I can live without.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

eddiewalker posted:

I’ve been out of the loop for a while. My Anova One was trucking along great till it totally melted its power inlet a few months ago. Are any of the “prime day” sales a good fit for me?

Seems like the two with real discounts are Anova Nano for $65 and the Joule for $120. I’m a little worried about stepping down to 700 watts with the Nano. I almost exclusively cook in a Partystacker cooler, and my 1000w One already took a long time to heat. Maybe I need to step down to a smaller container.

The Joule seems cool too, but that lack of on-device controls. I don’t know if that’s something I can live without.

Unless you plan on losing your tablet or phone, the joule is great.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I found this wagyu tri-tip for a good price that I couldn't pass up.

Dry-brined in the fridge overnight.

Covered with a santa maria rub.

Sous vide 5hrs @ 132F

Seared in a stainless steel pan with butter, garlic, rosemary and thyme. Served with a chimichurri and a baked potato:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Dude spoiler that, some of us haven't had [insert next time zone appropriate meal of the day] yet.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Random Hero posted:

Seared in a stainless steel pan with butter, garlic, rosemary and thyme. Served with a chimichurri and a baked potato:

I am kind of surprised how red it came out at 132.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hasselblad posted:

I am kind of surprised how red it came out at 132.

Sous vide will always look redder than you think it should for the temp compared to other methods of cooking.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

ulmont posted:

Sous vide will always look redder than you think it should for the temp compared to other methods of cooking.

No, I mean when I do 129-132 I get more of a medium rare. That there looks like it's mooing (not a bad thing, just not what I am used to at those temps)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Does anybody have a specific reusable silicone (or whatever) bag to recommend? I don't feel great about using all this plastic.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Shine posted:

Does anybody have a specific reusable silicone (or whatever) bag to recommend? I don't feel great about using all this plastic.

Sup Shine! I just use Ziploc but am curious to see some goon answers and recommendations as well...

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Shine posted:

I use this one for anything smaller (they hold about 2 chicken breasts):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZQT9CU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this one for anything larger, because the Stasher didn't have a larger size 2 years ago when I ordered:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KW7NF3E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I was ordering now I'd just get 2 of the larger Stasher size things:
https://www.amazon.com/Stasher-Reusable-Silicone-Sandwich-Storage/dp/B075TM3GVX?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_14492462011

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Great, thank you!

kensei posted:

Sup Shine! I just use Ziploc but am curious to see some goon answers and recommendations as well...

GREETINGS! :D

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ulmont posted:

I use this one for anything smaller (they hold about 2 chicken breasts):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZQT9CU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you find you can get a good amount of air pressed out, or do you get issues with floating or insulating air pockets?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Do you find you can get a good amount of air pressed out, or do you get issues with floating or insulating air pockets?

Both. I can get a good amount of air pressed out or displaced out through the standard water displacement method, but I do end up needing to basically weigh anything in that bag down underwater in some fashion. No real problems on the insulation front though.

SpicyUnagi
Jun 18, 2012
Has anyone had experience with the Vacmaster 215 Chamber Vacuum Sealer?

From what I see now, all the lower tier machines they made out of China are now no longer being made due to the tariffs on import. Can't get parts for them, or order NOS from Vacmaster direct either. I want to be able to do liquids, so I need a chamber unit.

The pump on the 215 is user serviceable, from what I was reading, and the pump itself (being rando China instead of a Busch) is $92.00. Their technician in California is easy to reach by phone, so I'm leaning towards buying one of these from Webstrurantstore.com, as the lowest they usually go for is $750 towards the end of the year, for a cheap commercial unit.

The next step up from this is the MVS-31 Basic, and this company, https://www.dougcareequipment.com/Table-Top-Chambers_c_51.html, sells it for the best price that I have found in the states. For $2,200 though, that's basically a commercial machine with a real busch pump I'd probably never get the full use out of, but it is baller.

I want to get a polyscience immersion cooker as well, just cause I can, but want to wait for a sale/used price. Too many Anova/Joule reviews that they break prematurely, I want the tank.

SpicyUnagi fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 25, 2019

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still use my OG Polysciene IC for multi-day cooks. The annova is fine for short cooks, but I trust the Polyscience more for the riskier long cooks.

fake edit: I know nothing about chamber vacs other than I'm jelly of anyone that has one

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
FWIW, I've had my anova for 3yrs now and never had a problem. Granted I use mine mostly in a cooler with a hole cut for it which does reduce the amount of evaporation that could mess with the electrical bits.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

sterster posted:

FWIW, I've had my anova for 3yrs now and never had a problem. Granted I use mine mostly in a cooler with a hole cut for it which does reduce the amount of evaporation that could mess with the electrical bits.

Same here, with the caveat that I thought I steam killed it about four or five times before I bought that container and lid.

It gets really screwy if it steams up but if you give it a day or so it’ll probably recover. Still worth avoiding though, the container’s well worth the cost for convenience’s sake.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
What's the best to clean off hard water scum from my SV? 1/2 White Vinegar and 1/2 water? Then run at 140 for a couple hours?

Or does someone have something better?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yes white/spirit vinegar. I use it for cleaning kettles, my Anova and other things. After every 3rd puddling I leave the water in and the Anova on and just dump some in the water. Nowhere near 1:1 though, more like 100ml on 10l of water.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 25, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Trastion posted:

What's the best to clean off hard water scum from my SV? 1/2 White Vinegar and 1/2 water? Then run at 140 for a couple hours?

Or does someone have something better?

bar keeper's friend also does a great job getting rid of hard water buildup

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

SpicyUnagi posted:

Has anyone had experience with the Vacmaster 215 Chamber Vacuum Sealer?

From what I see now, all the lower tier machines they made out of China are now no longer being made due to the tariffs on import. Can't get parts for them, or order NOS from Vacmaster direct either. I want to be able to do liquids, so I need a chamber unit.

The pump on the 215 is user serviceable, from what I was reading, and the pump itself (being rando China instead of a Busch) is $92.00. Their technician in California is easy to reach by phone, so I'm leaning towards buying one of these from Webstrurantstore.com, as the lowest they usually go for is $750 towards the end of the year, for a cheap commercial unit.

The next step up from this is the MVS-31 Basic, and this company, https://www.dougcareequipment.com/Table-Top-Chambers_c_51.html, sells it for the best price that I have found in the states. For $2,200 though, that's basically a commercial machine with a real busch pump I'd probably never get the full use out of, but it is baller.

I want to get a polyscience immersion cooker as well, just cause I can, but want to wait for a sale/used price. Too many Anova/Joule reviews that they break prematurely, I want the tank.

I have a lower model (VP110 pr 112, lost the sticker long ago) and it’s going strong, I think it’s been nearly a decade now. No service needed. You’d be fine with a used one of those or just what you can get on the market today. Don’t over think it.

I have used two Anova units and a Sansaire for multi day cooks and they are okay. Sure, I’d like a tank too if money were no object. For an inspected commercial kitchen it would be required for sure.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have been secretly hoping that my Anovas die so I can justify a Polyscience, but they keep on trucking after 5 and 3 years respectively.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I've been using my Anova to make black garlic.

I did 3 weeks the first time, it was good but more like "Caramel Brown Garlic" so I'm doing a 4 week cook right now.

I've got it wrapped up pretty good with plastic wrap, and I haven't had any steam issues. Also my garage REEKED of garlic through double sealed vacuum packed bags for about 3 days.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Relentless posted:

I've been using my Anova to make black garlic.

I did 3 weeks the first time, it was good but more like "Caramel Brown Garlic" so I'm doing a 4 week cook right now.

I've got it wrapped up pretty good with plastic wrap, and I haven't had any steam issues. Also my garage REEKED of garlic through double sealed vacuum packed bags for about 3 days.

Jesus, tell me what your power bill was like after running it for 3 weeks straight? It can't have been worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If it's all well insulated it probably didn't consume much power at all