Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

infernal machines posted:

Remember that time you wanted to glass a village because someone in it might have been harbouring terrorists?

I do remember that. It was a village where the mayor said he was waiting for daesh to come and he and his citizens would welcome them, and specifically I did not say it should be glassed, I said we should send the Canadian daesh supporters there, and then bomb it.

That was an overreaction which discounted the possibility of collateral damage, but honestly I don't consider killing Daesh supporters to be wrong, any more than I think punching Nazis is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PT6A posted:

Then where's the legislation? Write it up.

No industry gives half a flying gently caress what people think or "agree," they care about the laws and the facts of what's happening in the real world. And the facts are that Alberta oil is currently being targeted in a much more consequential fashion than fossil fuels which benefit BC's economy. And while those environmentalists in Vancouver opposed to the pipeline might be ideologically consistent, the government of BC, by targeting Alberta oil specifically, is acting in a hypocritical fashion that is open to legitimate criticism.

lol eat poo poo

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

PT6A posted:

It's not so bad really, I'll take walking with a limp and taking a bit longer learning to write than dealing with whatever's going on in Rime's brain that makes him advocate eugenics and murder from time to time.

PT6A posted:

I do remember that. It was a village where the mayor said he was waiting for daesh to come and he and his citizens would welcome them, and specifically I did not say it should be glassed, I said we should send the Canadian daesh supporters there, and then bomb it.

That was an overreaction which discounted the possibility of collateral damage, but honestly I don't consider killing Daesh supporters to be wrong, any more than I think punching Nazis is wrong.

:hmmyes:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
There's a surprising number of glass houses in CanPol

... something something greenhouse effect

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

infernal machines posted:

There's a surprising number of glass houses in CanPol

... something something greenhouse effect

Theyre worth more than wooden condos.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Yo dudes it’s 2019 and nothing matters so maybe chillax with the personal attacks and focus instead on mockery, satire, or other forms of irreverent humour so this thread is less of a depressive dumpster fire.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

y'all post bad

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

cowofwar posted:

Yo dudes it’s 2019 and nothing matters so maybe chillax with the personal attacks and focus instead on mockery, satire, or other forms of irreverent humour so this thread is less of a depressive dumpster fire.

no fuk u

(entirely kidding, y'all need some loving hobbies outside of being terminally online)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Caedus posted:

y'all post bad

I was doing that anyway but I don't take fuckin orders from you buddy so here comes a good post

Any minute now

Fart.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyways, another Ford appointee resigned yesterday for yet again being implicated for getting the job because he's their pal. Peter Fenwick just got booted for being associated with Dean French and Ford.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 5, 2019

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
There's lot of groups out there opposing all kinds of things. Albertans just think it's their oil that's being oppressed because no one reads or knows a goddamn thing that happens outside their province.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
So apparently Lisa Macloed was a shithead to Eugene Melnyk, and I don't know who I hate more in general* in this scenario.

*Seriously tho, it's MacLoed. She's doing a lot more to hurt people then stealing their organs and making their hockey team lovely.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can we just lock both of them in a pressurized deep sea submersible and throw it into the Marianas trench?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can we just lock both of them in a pressurized deep sea submersible and throw it into the Marianas trench?

Look at mister fancy man here, too cool to use the Swedish coastline like a normal psychopath

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

In 2015, Justin Trudeau posted:

Canadians are justifiably skeptical about whether it will ever change. Let’s face it: Harper’s Conservatives have brought things to a new low, but Canadians know that this is not a problem with just one political party. We have seen too many members of all political parties – including my own – behave deplorably over the years, and now wonder if their vote can possibly make a difference.

I have had too many conversations with Canadians who are beyond hope that things can ever change. They think elected representatives are “all the same,” and whoever is in power will act similarly or worse.

Well, it can change, and it must.

[Narrator]: It didn't.

Natpo posted:

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is defending the federal system for appointing judges after revelations several in New Brunswick have personal connections to Liberal cabinet minister Dominic LeBlanc.

Media reports this week stated five of the last six federally appointed judges in New Brunswick have ties to LeBlanc, who is Trudeau’s minister of intergovernmental and northern affairs.

One is LeBlanc’s neighbour, according to the CBC, while a second is a relative by marriage and three helped him pay off debt he accumulated during his unsuccessful run for the Liberal party leadership in 2008.

A complaint has since been filed to the ethics commissioner by watchdog Democracy Watch, which is asking for the government to suspend further appointments until an investigation is concluded.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Has anybody noticed that our new nationalist party is using a variant of the 14 words as their campaign slogan?

quote:

We must subsidize and protect the growth of Canadian industries at home and abroad.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

PT6A, if you actually want to talk coal, your argument, or at least the people you seem to be asking us to empathize with is wrong for the following reasons:

-Coal does not pose the same risk of environmental damage than what they put through the pipeline. I've never heard of a "coal spill", probably because it's a hell of a lot easier to clean up.
-So many anti-environmental people haul out the tired old "Well if you use plastics you need oil, checkmate libtard" argument. Emitting less carbon is better than emitting more carbon. The tar sands emit orders of magnitude more carbon than the BC coal industry and therefore would if the pipeline is stopped, it would keep us from emitting drastically more carbon than if we built it. Less is better and more is worse, so attempts to point out the hypocrisy of environmentalism is concern trolling used to justify more C02 emissions.
-The infrastructure needed to be built for pipeline expansion is so costly for such a short sighted business plan and lovely product that it is justifiably seen as a seriously stupid investment.

Seriously, I'm so tired of the empathize with poor Albertans poo poo I'm reading everywhere. Why does my province have to foot the bill for Albertans' childish mismanagement of their own resource boom and why are we expected to foot the bill to not just continue the tar sands but to double down on investment?

How about Albertans try to empathize with others for once. For the indigenous people whose land hasn't been cleaned up from oil spills decades old. For our future generations whose lives will be made terrible through climate catastrophe. Even for the millions of Canadians who could stand to see their lives improved through a more intelligent use of taxpayer dollars than a massive corporate handout.

At this point, I would actually support the Federal Government taking all our fossil fuel subsidies and cutting a cheque to every Albertan if they agreed to shut the gently caress up about the tar sands. It would no joke be a better use of taxpayer dollars.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Then their transformation into Newfoundlanders will be complete (this is a fisheries joke)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I could have stayed to take the dole but I'm not one of those.
I take nothing free so that makes me an idiot, I suppose

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

Then their transformation into Newfoundlanders will be complete (this is a fisheries joke)

In my napkin math, the initial annual payout would have been about $1 700 for a year with the one time bonus of not having bought the old leaky pipeline and used it as Alberta Bucks. Afterwards, if you divvy up the 3.3 billion we pay as fossil fuel subsidies annually, it's about $767. This would have the benefit of stimulating the local ski-doo, snowmobile, truck-lifting and truck nut economies.

Or we could invest it in a secret fund that will build lifted electric F350s that have a speakers making loud vrum-vrum noises and eject thick clouds of black food-coloured water vapour from the tail pipe.

But seriously, what kind of monetary support is given to out of work fisheries workers?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

ARACHTION posted:

But seriously, what kind of monetary support is given to out of work fisheries workers?

Depends. If we're talking Newfoundland's northern cod stocks collapse a lot of money was poured into the province to retrain workers as computer programmers and hair dressers, and/or ship them east to Alberta. If we're talking the west coast abalone collapse a few years later the license holders got a "We'll be in touch" note when the fisheries closed. There were only 30ish license holders affected. Not much political clout there. East Coast fisheries have long had a reputation as "welfare fisheries" although I suspect if you looked at the structure of the west coast salmon fishery that might be unfair.

This is historical. What's happening today I have no clue.

edit:

ARACHTION posted:

-Coal does not pose the same risk of environmental damage than what they put through the pipeline. I've never heard of a "coal spill", probably because it's a hell of a lot easier to clean up.

Interesting point. If you happen to actually spend time grubbing around in the mud in Burrard Inlet (=Vancouver Harbour) there's a thick layer of coal particles under it everywhere except places like the current-swept rock shelf in front of Stanley Park. Despite that, Vancouver Harbour is stunningly clean(now) compared to other world harbours given the amount of industrial activity going on.

The tumour fish are unappetizing though.

Hexigrammus fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 5, 2019

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

xtal posted:

Has anybody noticed that our new nationalist party is using a variant of the 14 words as their campaign slogan?

It doesn't really look like it to me. It looks like their national policy has 14 words and starts with "we must" but their other policies have differing numbers of words and stat with "we must"

Edit: I should further mention that the party is led by a verifiable racist shitface though https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/rcmp-hate-elections-canada-canadian-nationalist-party-1.5193358

Fart Amplifier fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 5, 2019

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Canada produces 0.8% of the world’s coal and it is half thermal and half metallurgical.

Our imports are down over time and exports are flat. 93% of what we export is metallurgical coal to Asia through Vancouver.

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy-facts/coal-facts/20071

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Completely killing off the tar sands seems like the lowest hanging fruit in terms of what our single country could do.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm willing to do ANYTHING to stop the ecological collapse of the planet as long as it doesnt effect the exponential growth of shareholder profits

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Danaru posted:

I'm willing to do ANYTHING to stop the ecological collapse of the planet as long as it doesnt effect the exponential growth of shareholder profits

Hey! Unless you're a homeless naked caveman who eats nothing but acorns you're a hypocrite and must instead openly advocate for the publicly subsidized expansion of the tar sands.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If Vancouver can pass the mantle of speculative housing boom to Quebec, I'm quite sure it could also go to Alberta and then their economy can go from harvesting oil from the tar sands to harvesting home equity from foreign money launderers investors.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ARACHTION posted:

Hey! Unless you're a homeless naked caveman who eats nothing but acorns you're a hypocrite and must instead openly advocate for the publicly subsidized expansion of the tar sands.

Also if you ARE a homeless naked caveman who eats nothing but acorns you clearly don't know what life is like for the Average Canadian so your opinion on environmental matters is irrelevant.

I love the double "too pure/not pure enough" trap that always seems to lead to the answer that we should just let the oil companies do what they want.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

The Cheshire Cat posted:

just let the oil companies do what they want.

now THIS is the kind of campaign slogan we need

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Fart Amplifier posted:

It doesn't really look like it to me. It looks like their national policy has 14 words and starts with "we must" but their other policies have differing numbers of words and stat with "we must"

Edit: I should further mention that the party is led by a verifiable racist shitface though https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/rcmp-hate-elections-canada-canadian-nationalist-party-1.5193358

I find it very charitable to think that it was an accident. And the writing seems contrived, I don't think people actually talk like that.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Id like to announce my new Federal party

The Why Pretend Party.

Our policy platform is whatever rich people want us to do.

gently caress you worthless pieces of poo poo just continue to consume and don't mind us.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

apatheticman posted:

Id like to announce my new Federal party

The Why Pretend Party.

Our policy platform is whatever rich people want us to do.

gently caress you worthless pieces of poo poo just continue to consume and don't mind us.

Sorry but the Liberal party already exists

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Fart Amplifier posted:

I mean, in case "maintaining the European-descended demographic status quo", and the desire for "an authority above the democratic system" weren't dead giveaways...

xtal posted:

I find it very charitable to think that it was an accident. And the writing seems contrived, I don't think people actually talk like that.

Yeah, I'm with this too. The cadence and sentence structure of that first one is way too similar for it not to be at least an unconscious imitation.

Also their "demographic policy" is a near-exact paraphrasing of the actual 14 words. They barely even bother to disguise it.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/stephenfgordon/status/1147329075029127169?s=20

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Stephen Gordon is a dumb sack of poo poo who spent years screaming about how it was great that Alberta spent all of its Heritage Savings Trust Fund during the prosperous years because reasons.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Terry Beech (liberal MP Burnaby North) showed up at a pipeline protest tonight, which was unexpected. I chatted for a bit and was largely disappointed, seems he was mostly there for publicity. Which was...odd.

Brought up that transitioning to 100% renewables is a wash because we're going to have a supply shortage of turbine components when like 80 GW of supply worldwide is decommissioned at once in the 2050's, his response was that clearly we should produce everything domestically because it would create so many jobs!

Ignoring that you can't just float an entire extremely complex supply chain like that for three decades until it is needed, for several reasons, not the least of which is the proprietary nature of most turbine components...

Discussed some of the carbon feedback research from this year which he seemed vaguely aware of, but then wandered off quickly when I asked if the Liberals had a plan for how we'd re-sequester permafrost nitrogen using the pipeline payments, or if that money was just earmarked for greenwashing.

He seemed to grasp the science of the matter but is vociferously interested mostly in the vague woo of "jobs and economy" and how it helps the Liberals maintain power in October, which he said was a crass way of putting it when I said so at the start of our chat - but hey, he's the one out shilling for photo-ops in front of the pipeline his party rammed through. :shrug:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Canada has had a bunch of innovative renewable companies that had to go abroad for demonstration plants and such because there is zero government or venture capital funding in Canada that isn't 100% risk adverse.

There is absolutely no reason why Canada isn't a world leader in renewable energy, we have the domestic resources, we have the human capital, we have the research base, but there's just an absolute failure in going from idea to pilot. We have an absolutely stupid number of capable people but for some reason they're all making safe fart apps for $40k a year.

Think of the number of pilot projects that could be funded with that six billion pipeline purchase. It boggles the loving mind. Also in general, tricouncil funding has the same problem - we give bigwig boomer labs millions of dollars while turning down small grants to new researchers; fund broadly and fund lightly - in R&D you need a critical mass, giving some famously smart person a blank cheque accomplishes nothing.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 6, 2019

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's because innovation is hard and why bother if you can make tons of money with less risk by harvesting natural resources.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Short term profits from a dying industry vs. investing in a new sector with lots of long-term potential

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

incontinence 100 posted:

Stephen Gordon is a dumb sack of poo poo who spent years screaming about how it was great that Alberta spent all of its Heritage Savings Trust Fund during the prosperous years because reasons.

Well you see, by returning the proceeds of the oil industry to the people in the form of lower taxes, they can make their own choice as to whether to save or spend it, which is better for society, in ways that are obvious.