Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/RealAlexRubi/status/1146914527092625414

It seems like this is a protestor though her smiling and holding the sign really made messaging different

https://mobile.twitter.com/RealAlexRubi/status/1146951667130261504

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ogmius815 posted:

Rigging the primary by. . . enforcing the rules of the election? The ones that everyone knew beforehand?

Is this your first close election?

Hey friend, what the Democratic party has done here is blatantly anti-democratic; it is a clear-cut example of the establishment doing anything they can to prevent a progressive challenge to their power. When you defend actions like this you come off as a mindless bootlicker who simply obeys authority/views himself as an emissary of said authority.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

haveblue posted:

The best a president could do is the sort of top-down sabotage the Trump administration is already doing to all the good departments, like appointing an anti-ICE ideologue to run it or leaving the position empty indefinitely if that's not possible.
The problem with law enforcement is that they're a self-selecting group of power-hungry assholes. On top of this, white nationalists have purposefully become cops over the past century as things like the KKK became socially unacceptable. Law enforcement is naturally inclined to support right-wing hardliners and oppose anything from the left.

Just remember a few short years ago, at a police officer's funeral, hundreds of cops turned their backs on Mayor de Blasio because he earlier said that maybe they shouldn't be stopping and frisking black people on the street all the time for no reason at all. Compare that to their glee with imprisoning toddlers and torturing refugees.

Fixing the problem would basically require firing the entire lot of them en masse, and then purposefully recruiting people that care about improving society to take their place (though we could get by with a fraction of the number we currently have). Nobody should be able to apply - just wanting to be a cop is sufficient reason to deny it to someone. Obviously, none of this will ever happen.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

It seems like this is a protestor though her smiling and holding the sign really made messaging different

Yeah, that sign is really, really dumb and tasteless, and I don't blame anybody who thought she was pro-Trump.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LaserShark posted:

Yeah, that sign is really, really dumb and tasteless, and I don't blame anybody who thought she was pro-Trump.
Is there like a Poe's law for evil people?

quote:

Poe's law is an adage of Internet culture stating that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers for a sincere expression of the parodied views.

I used to think it just covered stupid people, but I guess Poe's law would also cover the difficulty in knowing if people would realize you're lampooning their inhumanity when they actually are in support of killing all non-whites.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ewiley posted:

JUST THROWING IT OUT THERE BUT YOU ONLY HAVE TO GIVE THEM HEALTHCARE IF YOU KEEP THEM IN DETENTION YOU FORKING GARBAGE HUMAN.

From 500 pages ago but no you gently caress, they should get free healthcare without conditions. So should the rest of us.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

LaserShark posted:

It's funny you say that because everytime I saw that photo I was like "I'm not sure she is with the Chuds, but okay." Turns out I was right. Really shows part of the problem with signs. The sign might be tasteless, it is clearly meant to be shocking, but also clearly prone to contradictory interpretations.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

alpha_destroy posted:

It's funny you say that because everytime I saw that photo I was like "I'm not sure she is with the Chuds, but okay." Turns out I was right. Really shows part of the problem with signs. The sign might be tasteless, it is clearly meant to be shocking, but also clearly prone to contradictory interpretations.

It doesn't help that celebrating those migrants death is exactly the sort of malicious and spiteful thing that you would expect out of Trump supporters

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

All the people saying that ICE/CBP need to be shot out of a cannon, I present an alternative solution.

One of the underground nuclear tests in Nevada (Pascal-B) had a slight...mishap.

"During the Pascal-B nuclear test, a 900-kilogram (2,000 lb) steel plate cap (a piece of armor plate) was blasted off the top of a test shaft at a speed of more than 66 km/s (41 mi/s; 240,000 km/h; 150,000 mph). Before the test, experimental designer Robert Brownlee had estimated that the nuclear explosion, combined with the specific design of the shaft, would accelerate the plate to approximately six times Earth's escape velocity. The plate was never found, but Dr. Brownlee believes that the plate did not leave the atmosphere, as it may even have been vaporized by compression heating of the atmosphere due to its high speed. The calculated velocity was sufficiently interesting that the crew trained a high-speed camera on the plate, which unfortunately only appeared in one frame, but this nevertheless gave a very high lower bound for its speed. After the event, Dr. Brownlee described the best estimate of the cover's speed from the photographic evidence as "going like a bat out of hell!"["

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

In addition to this, we have warnings from Justice earlier this decade (late last decade?) that there was a concerted effort from white supremacist organizations to infiltrate and then recruit within law enforcement. And indications that they've met with success (I believe frontline is the most accessible source to jump off from).

How to fix a gleefully toxic environment really is a fascinating question, especially when "fire them all and start over" is impractical (in large part because it runs up against the labor protections they've bargained for). Many of the groups that sprang up in the aftermath of Ferguson have platforms down that path (Phoneposting and can't recall names, so would be grateful if others could link the orgs and their recs) and getting people like Krasner and Cabán into the positions where they can constrain and rectify the cop behaviors help. A more aggressive OCR at justice with more burdensome consent decrees would be huge as well, especially if they can guarantee that the appointment of another Sessions won't halt all progress.

It's neoliberal and incrementalist as hell, but I'm still a huge fan of tying milsurp to insurance and specific training dos/don'ts. We need to demilitarize the police, but using their love of playing soldier to ban warrior training, mandate descalation training, strengthen residency requirements, etc, holds a certain appeal.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I like the plan someone posted a while back in one of these threads- restructure internal operations so that everyone's job is 90% mind-numbing paperwork and no one's job is a consistent stream of opportunities to oppress.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ice Phisherman posted:

The Catholic church for all of its many, many problems is a different animal when compared to something like an Evangelical protestant church. They're places that basically require nothing of you in order to redeem you except money and obedience. Not to the teachings of the bible, but to the hierarchy of the church.

Yeah the whole 'faith without works is dead' and actually knowing what Matthew 25:33-46 is and following it put the Catholic Church above the evangelicals even given all the other horrible poo poo they've done.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

On the one hand 'trauma queens' is a great turn of phrase but on the other 'outrage mobsters' is so dumb and bad I almost stopped reading right there

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

They can't outright abolish agencies created by statute, but afaict there's no reason that the president couldn't say 'hand over all responcibility for asylum applicants to the state department and all responcibility for other imprisoned migrants to some justice department agency' or something similar.

the president can't just do what you say because it would be directly defying the legislation that created the agencies in question, OJ MIST is correct. the INA empowers the executive to create immigration courts under the purview of the attorney general, the president could not simply say "Actually, i am delegating all authority to administer immigration courts to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau"

if you could just do what you're claiming here, it would be vastly easier for conservatives to gut the EPA/IRS/etc and they'd already be effectively nonexistent

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 5, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
As far as I can tell the INA charges the attorney general with crafting the immigration court system without a ton of specifics. The point of chevron deference is that if governing statute isnt real loving specific then the executive can do what they want with it.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Wow at the media for falling all over themselves commending Trump for not making GBS threads himself and barely not turning July 4th into a political rally.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

As far as I can tell the INA charges the attorney general with crafting the immigration court system without a ton of specifics. The point of chevron deference is that if governing statute isnt real loving specific then the executive can do what they want with it.

It's a good thing the court is going to kill Chevron so when we get the executive back, the court can then rule that CBP was made for the specific purpose of torturing and killing brown people and they must continue to do so.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Boris Galerkin posted:

From 500 pages ago but no you gently caress, they should get free healthcare without conditions. So should the rest of us.

Yes, you are correct of course. But I'm trying to point out that the consequence of locking them up is that you legally have to provide for their care. If they really gave a poo poo about how much this costs, just go back to the old 'catch and release' then you can just wash your hands of them and they die in the gutter like everyone else poor in this country.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

KillHour posted:

It's a good thing the court is going to kill Chevron so when we get the executive back, the court can then rule that CBP was made for the specific purpose of torturing and killing brown people and they must continue to do so.

Chevron deference is legit stupid and if not for "lol laws don't apply to republicans" getting rid of it would be a good thing. Literally any progressive work is going to be a game of 'how long until we have to pack the court' though.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1147181411356614658?s=20

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

Chevron deference is legit stupid and if not for "lol laws don't apply to republicans" getting rid of it would be a good thing. Literally any progressive work is going to be a game of 'how long until we have to pack the court' though.

The problem with this line of thought is if we have to litigate every time it's ambiguous about what powers were given to an executive agency, we'll crush the court system and executive agencies won't be able to function. That's why the crazy "take down the government" Republicans want to end it so badly.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

"Duped into"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Saxophone posted:

"Duped into"

I'll allow it, it characterises the defendant as a dupe

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

fool_of_sound posted:

Chevron deference is (was) the last bastion preventing the right wing's new class of 35-year old federal judges with no courtroom experience from dismantling the administrative state faster than the supreme court can keep up with.

The recent ruling ordered the lower court judges to consider whether the regulations being considered in a suit are ambiguous. So now you'll have: Agency says it means X. Petitioner says it means Y. Judge: the regulation is not ambiguous, it means Y. Summary judgment in favor of petitioner, the Clean Water Act no longer has implementing regulations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

KillHour posted:

The problem with this line of thought is if we have to litigate every time it's ambiguous about what powers were given to an executive agency, we'll crush the court system and executive agencies won't be able to function. That's why the crazy "take down the government" Republicans want to end it so badly.

Nope. Smarter republicans want to end it because they know the presidency is more vulnerable than congress and the courts, so they'd like to transfer power back away from the executive.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Devor posted:

Chevron deference is (was) the last bastion preventing the right wing's new class of 35-year old federal judges with no courtroom experience from dismantling the administrative state faster than the supreme court can keep up with.

Chevron deference is a right wing decision that was made in order to give the executive the power to ignore enforcement of laws it doesn't like. That they've managed to rig the system in a different way now doesn't mean that chevron deference was correctly decided after all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JazzFlight posted:

Is there like a Poe's law for evil people?

I used to think it just covered stupid people, but I guess Poe's law would also cover the difficulty in knowing if people would realize you're lampooning their inhumanity when they actually are in support of killing all non-whites.

satire normally involves heightening ghoulish and cruel things to absurd amounts, but when dealing with an enemy that revels in their cruelty it's much harder. I figured that was satire when I saw it but I'm not surprised many didn't because, yea, it's easy to imagine some maga shitstain waving that around unironically because they're evil sadists.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Paracaidas posted:

With that being said: Jim Crow and closed primaries are different. One is much worse, even though both are occurring today.

In 2016 my fiancee mysteriously had her party registration disappear right before the Dem primary. We live in NY. She was 29 at the time and I was 36. My registration was fine.

You'll never convince me they wont do purges based on convenient demos to try to hold machine power

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Is this the timeline where that Phoenix Wright meme generator is going to trick a chud into posting about how unfair reality is?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

fool_of_sound posted:

Chevron deference is a right wing decision that was made in order to give the executive the power to ignore enforcement of laws it doesn't like. That they've managed to rig the system in a different way now doesn't mean that chevron deference was correctly decided after all.

And now the left wing won't have the judiciary on our side for dozens of years, we do not want more power in the hands of the judiciary with respect to interpreting regulations.

There's a good chance we'll have the executive in a few years, though.

Just because something came into being for bad reasons doesn't mean that it doesn't have salutary effects now.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Devor posted:

And now the left wing won't have the judiciary on our side for dozens of years, we do not want more power in the hands of the judiciary with respect to interpreting regulations.

There's a good chance we'll have the executive in a few years, though.

Just because something came into being for bad reasons doesn't mean that it doesn't have salutary effects now.

Yeah that's where I'm at with it. Either way the only way a progressive presidency plays out is the courts lying low to try to stave off packing, or they go crazy blocking everything till democrats support packing.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

within the boundaries of the statute. the executive could not say "this isn't the attorney general's job anymore, it's the EPA administrator's" nor could he say "it's now the Department of the Interior's job to determine asylum eligibility"

Chevron deference is about an agency's interpretation of its enabling statutes, not presidential decisions. you're cramming separate things that are mostly true into a conclusion that is not, and then trying to retroactively justify this incorrect conclusion

president AOC can do a ton to fix immigration, but she can't abolish CBP and give its job to somebody else unilaterally any more than Trump can do analogous things, and Chevron's existence or nonexistence has no real bearing on this fact

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 5, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I mean the heads of departments are appointed by the president and he largely can order then around so in effect the president has the authority. In this case I don't think there's anything preventing the DoJ from interpreting the authority to create immigration courts as 'immigration courts have failed and we're interegrating immigrant cases into a new department working in conjunction with the stage department' or whatever.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lightning Knight posted:

This is such a preposterously evil image that I refuse to believe it isn’t photoshopped because if you put this in a movie I would say it’s a comically overdone metaphor for American empire.

It looks like something out of the Purge series

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

In this case I don't think there's anything preventing the DoJ from interpreting the authority to create immigration courts as 'immigration courts have failed and we're interegrating immigrant cases into a new department working in conjunction with the stage department' or whatever.

Yes, there is, this is not how administrative law, the INA, or the APA works.

I understand the tendency to try to put two and two together and think that with enough motivated reasoning, someone could do what you suggest, but they just won't be able to as a matter of law and if you want to know why I'm sure you can go watch a couple hours of lectures on chevron in admin law somewhere on youtube

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Saxophone posted:

"Duped into"

The thing is, this Col. Jessup thing perfectly depicts the hell meme universe we live in. The fact that Jessup is a fictional character played by an actor is of no consequence at all to these people, who voted in a fictional president played by a reality show star.

The factual reality behind ANYTHING doesn't matter as long as it's "truthy" or goes with prescribed attitude for the right wing about something. It's not at all embarrassing that big wet president talked about American forces taking over airports that wouldn't exist for over a century in a battle that never happened, the key point is that America is and was great! The details are ticky tacky bullshit! And you should get with the program to avoid being run over by the Trump bus!

I remember someone posting some meme on Facebook with some right wing platitude, attributed to Bill Gates. It sounded familiar and I looked it up and of course it was from some right wing shithead nobody. I pointed this out, thinking that maybe the person who posted might be a little embarrassed to post something obviously fake, but a bunch of people piped up and were like "but it makes a really good point" without acknowledging how wrong it was to purposely misattribute things (no doubt fully intentional by whatever troll farm created the image macro) to various famous people to give them a legitimacy they don't deserve.

Anyway I don't spend much time on Facebook anymore.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Comstar posted:

Well, we're reached the Abu Ghraib level. What's the next stop to hell?

Leaving them there.

At least until they're radicalized and hate us enough we "cant let them out".

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Unoriginal Name posted:

Leaving them there.

And then to the detention facility at Guantanamo, which ironically enough, started as a migrant camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Unoriginal Name posted:

Leaving them there.

yea there's gonna be a point where the people in charge realize they've basically made an entire generation of the region's migrants utterly hate or, at best, completely distrust the US government and that's when the real dark poo poo is gonna start coming.