Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Incrementalism is code for "you're getting nothing." Changes for the rich tend to be immediate, grand actions.

yeah we should be building hundreds of millions of new units

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Judakel posted:

You only seem to point it out with the Berndawg, though. That's okay because I know you're a big supporter of his.

I don't know how I missed this but, 10%:

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1145828182744076288

Wouldn't a 10% decrease over a decade not even come close to keeping up with inflation?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Oh no she wants people to save a giant percentage of income from their largest living expense. What a monster!

Edit: i am not sure goons understand how inflation works. ^^

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 5, 2019

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Majorian posted:

If it were something like M4A (which Harris also backtracked on immediately after the debate, of course), I'd find that a lot more understandable. She's trying to attract voters who don't necessarily want M4A, as well as voters who do, after all, and that's a typical centrist thing to do. But who, exactly, is she trying to attract in signaling that she's not really committed to a federal busing mandate? I realize not all of the country wants that to happen, but how many of them are Democratic primary voters? Are there enough of them to cover for the voters she may lose because she pulled a 180 on this? The logic doesn't add up, as far as I can see, which is what makes it so weird.

Then again, of course, her team is made up of former Clinton advisors, so...I guess it does make sense after all.

Old racist whites, and moderate Dem consultants and think-tankers.

Whoops, I think I repeated myself there.

The idea behind pulling a 180 on this is that she's betting the vast majority of voters will never hear about her pulling a 180. Her pro-busing stance was expressed at a major televised national event which was getting news coverage for days afterward, while her anti-busing stance was a short remark to a reporter at an Iowa picnic. Presumably she's hoping that:
  1. rich old white donors and lanyards will be more politically engaged than poor young minorities, and
  2. that no one will dare to call her out on it

A is basically the question that will decide the primary, so I don't blame her for betting big on that one. B is still up in the air, though - the media seems to be happy to bring up that she flipped on the issue, but they're not really pushing hard on it, they're just doing it to provoke responses from both campaigns in order to keep the Biden-Harris showdown in the news. So they're not picking holes in her response to the claims, which is absolute loving nonsense.
https://twitter.com/chelsea_janes/status/1146873569915428864

And while Biden has jumped on the opportunity to point out that her position basically matched his, he sandwiched his callout between about half a dozen gaffes, so he's completely failed to get it into the headlines.
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1147093735580348416

Meanwhile, the other big-name candidates are largely staying quiet or taking a neutral stance. For instance, Warren and the Buttigieg campaign have both declared that they're not getting involved, and that all this is just negative campaign tactics that shouldn't have any place in a primary campaign.
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1147020029516492800
https://twitter.com/Lis_Smith/status/1146792353467949056

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

Oh no she wants people to save a giant percentage of income from their largest living expense. What a monster!

proud flat tax supporter here

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1147211063760424960

lol :suicide:

Modern Dems are ill-equipped to deal with rising fascism and we are all hosed because of it.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

There’s pretty much no reason not to have federally mandated busing now if you believe it was needed in the past. We still have hella de facto segregation, so if it’s a real policy debate what is every candidate’s position?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A 10% reduction in something that usually outpaces inflation in its growth would be loving huge but ok whatever guys.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

yronic heroism posted:

There’s pretty much no reason not to have federally mandated busing now if you believe it was needed in the past. We still have hella de facto segregation, so if it’s a real policy debate what is every candidate’s position?

Biden's position, apparently, is that busing is long in the past and us young'uns don't even know what it was about.
https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1147195725865992194

:allears:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

LeeMajors posted:

Modern Dems are ill-equipped to deal with rising fascism and we are all hosed because of it.

Just the pure strategic incompetence of these people is breathtaking.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Maybe instead asking if they are for/against the poo poo we already fought for 50 years ago, we can try to normalize modern progressive thought

Or ask about their thoughts concentration camps and poll taxes like it's actually a debatable point I guess

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
Biden has apparently been attacking AOC. What a sad lump.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/05/politics/aoc-liberals-joe-biden-cnn-interview/index.html

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

LeeMajors posted:

Modern Dems actually have a pretty agile political machine, its just that they are collaborators and Quislings and only use that machine against people that want actual reform

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Biden's position, apparently, is that busing is long in the past and us young'uns don't even know what it was about.
https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1147195725865992194

:allears:

Waiting for Bernie’s busing plan. So far it’s just Biden and Harris on record. Do your jobs, MSM, and tell us what Bernie and Marianne have to say!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mellow Seas posted:

A 10% reduction in something that usually outpaces inflation in its growth would be loving huge but ok whatever guys.

Issue is she's not specifying that the ten percent is in current dollars. Which actually does matter because yeah a ten percent reduction in the rate of growth is not much in absolute terms.

Larger issue is it just sounds inadequate.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Issue is she's not specifying that the ten percent is in current dollars. Which actually does matter because yeah a ten percent reduction in the rate of growth is not much in absolute terms.

Larger issue is it just sounds inadequate.

Where does she suggest it’s just ten percent reduction in the rate of growth?

Ten percent frees up a ton of income. Based on what people are spending on rent currently that’s close to a 5 percent boost to disposable income from housing policy alone.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mellow Seas posted:

Yea, gonna be p huge in ten loving years when the voters have also had two chances to elect some GOP fanatic who would tear all that up the moment they got into office. Real good plan, that.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

You can't campaign on something that doesn't even reach a remotely notable level until a loving decade later.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

Waiting for Bernie’s busing plan. So far it’s just Biden and Harris on record. Do your jobs, MSM, and tell us what Bernie and Marianne have to say!

I'm glad you asked, yronic!

quote:

Bernie Sanders, meanwhile, has introduced what Century Foundation senior fellow Richard Kahlenberg tells me is “the most robust school integration plan of any of the candidates” — an agenda that, if enacted, would be by far the most significant pro-integration step the federal government has taken in a decade.

quote:

Sanders’s “Thurgood Marshall Plan for Education” incorporates these ideas, but would also go further by repealing the existing ban on using federal transportation funding to promote school integration and create a $1 billion fund to support magnet schools as an additional desegregation lever. Beyond legislation, Sanders is also promising to “execute and enforce desegregation orders and appoint federal judges who will enforce the 1964 Civil Rights Act in school systems,” which appears to be a promise to try to revisit the substance of the Parents Involved and Milliken cases.

He has also said that he's open to new busing policies.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 5, 2019

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

"Oh boy $300 less in rent in 10 years, hope I haven't lost my job, lost my insurance, lost my home, and slit my loving wrists in a poo poo-covered alley because every moment has become agony by then."

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don’t know what the policy is, and it all depends on that, but that’s a worthwhile goal. I agree that in a campaign context it sounds tiny and unimpressive. “Stop the explosion in the cost of housing” would sound a lot better, even if 10% is technically 10% better.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Since it’s all that is being talked about : What bussing plan will or will not be mandated?

To me it looks like you edited in a link that says he’s “open” to busing. Does that mean he wants all districts to have “access” to busing? P noncommittal and I think you know that.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 5, 2019

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Policy wonks: What can the feds actually do about rents? I've always viewed rent control as more of a local thing. Are we talking housing project construction? Rent reimbursement? Genuinely curious what options they'd even have.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

"Oh boy $300 less in rent in 10 years, hope I haven't lost my job, lost my insurance, lost my home, and slit my loving wrists in a poo poo-covered alley because every moment has become agony by then."

Hm yes she should just snap her fingers and build all the housing stock overnight because that’s how it works.

And of course this is her only policy proposal so let me point out all the other things it’s not addressing.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

After all Trump got americans horned up by promising a 5% increase in fence spending, and making america progressively better, one percentile at a time.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

yronic heroism posted:

Hm yes she should just snap her fingers and build all the housing stock overnight because that’s how it works.

And of course this is her only policy proposal so let me point out all the other things it’s not addressing.

"Do a snappening to all landlords" is more the going speed around here.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I too base my political opinions on a film by a megacorp but that film is Air Bud.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Judakel posted:

You only seem to point it out with the Berndawg, though. That's okay because I know you're a big supporter of his.

I don't know how I missed this but, 10%:

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1145828182744076288

in my city rent goes up by 10% per. loving. YEAR.

yronic heroism posted:

not understanding basic poo poo is your only area of primacy, I'll grant you that.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 5, 2019

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mellow Seas posted:

not even if it was all at once instead of 1% per year for ten years

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Any plan from Warren to do with rents that isn't just this image on her website and nothing else, can eat my poo poo tbh.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

ummel posted:

Policy wonks: What can the feds actually do about rents? I've always viewed rent control as more of a local thing. Are we talking housing project construction? Rent reimbursement? Genuinely curious what options they'd even have.

Expand and massively fund section 8 via HUD while prosecuting malfeasance. It won't control price but it could staunch the bleeding on a given household's income.

Every growth city has seen what "incentives to increase supply" look like: handouts to developers to build high margin luxury units on a timeline of... well, about 10 years, she ain't lying about that.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

How, uh...

How stupid is this guy? I keep thinking I know, but I keep being wrong.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Majorian posted:

How, uh...

He's as dumb as Trump except instead of being a belligerent narcissistic rear end in a top hat for his entire life, he's been a spineless grifting douche.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Regarding the Warren plan, this is a good time to remember that when someone promises a progressive-sounding plan, it's best to read past the headline and dig down into how they actually plan to accomplish that. For example, the entire primary field is making lofty promises to reduce carbon emissions by huge amounts, but when you dig into the details most of their plans are just "subsidies and tax incentives to oil companies".

So Warren is promising to reduce rents by 10%. Sounds great. But how is she planning to do so? As the candidate who's famous for her detailed policy plans, surely She's Got A Plan For That, right?

Well, her press release isn't very detailed at all. However, it links to an independent analysis of her plan that she had commissioned. The wonkery is pretty thick, so I'm just gonna go ahead and quote the basic summary:

quote:

The American Housing Economic and Mobility Act provides an average of $50 billion per annum to alleviate the shortage of affordable housing units. This is done through funds to incent localities to ease regulations and other building restrictions, provide down-payment assistance, and reduce the burden on households with negative equity in their homes.

How do these incentives work? Well, it breaks that down just a little later:

quote:

Most significantly, the funds are to be used to boost the Housing Trust Fund and Capital Magnet Funds. The HTF and CMF were established by the 2008 Housing Economic and Recovery Act, but funding began only a few years ago.
The American Housing and Economic Mobility Act does not change current law with regard to how the HTF and CMF operate. Under current law, at least 70% of CMF funds must be used to support affordable housing projects, and no more than 10% of an affordable housing project’s costs can come from the CMF.
For those who don't read "wonk", what that means is that her plan will largely focus on putting money into funds that are used to provide grants to encourage private developers to build affordable housing. And if that doesn't sound encouraging, don't worry - the independent analysis also contains a prediction of the plan's total impact!

quote:

This will still leave a shortfall in affordable housing. But market forces should work to slowly and steadily increase supply. This is particularly true if the American Housing and Economic Mobility Act eases regulatory restrictions on affordable homebuilding as anticipated. By the end of the 10-year horizon, affordable housing supply should be approximately equal to demand. Since the legislation significantly increases housing supply, it will have the added benefit of improving housing affordability, particularly for affordable rental homes. Without the legislation, rents are expected to increase by more than 4% per annum. With the legislation, rent growth will be closer to 3% per annum.
So, basically, the entire plan for reducing rates boils down to "deregulate housing and provide subsidies to private real estate developers, and surely market forces will do the rest". Yeah, I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Majorian posted:

How, uh...

That's also the senior political report at WaPo taking the time to dunk on him. Not exactly Karl Marx.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thanks for reading that poo poo so we don’t have to, MPF. Seems like the main effect would be to funnel some tax dollars/write offs to developers who don’t need them, with the possible side effect of a modest decrease in the growth of rents. It’s not, like, terrible, but it wouldn’t have much of an effect on anybody (except the developers getting free money to do roughly what they would’ve done anyway).

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Actually plenty of housing regulation, for example single-family requirements, are terrible NIMBYism (racism).

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 5, 2019

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

LeeMajors posted:

Really stretching both the definition of both words here.

Majorian posted:

How, uh...

The easiest answer I've found is "think about how loving hard it was to get wrecked for plagiarism before the Internet"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's pretty funny that the Warren fanclub are constantly touting her plans as the big reason for supporting her, but every time you actually look into said plans they tend to be useless at best and completely horrible at worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Oh what % decrease in rent has Bernie committed to? Just curious