Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Volcott posted:

The safety aspect aside, I can't imagine dealing with the "hey dude you forgot to buckle up" warning chime every time you drive anywhere, forever.

There are elaborate ways to disable this in most cars. Like it's a dozen individual steps as if you're entering in the grandfather of all Konami Codes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
or just one of those detatched buckle thingys you just plug in.

i mean if you arent gonna buckle up then i mean #yolo anyways

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Volcott posted:

The safety aspect aside, I can't imagine dealing with the "hey dude you forgot to buckle up" warning chime every time you drive anywhere, forever.

People get used to it, I swear.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

sneakyfrog posted:

Bonus: a lot of those are made to work as bottle openers, too!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
just lol if you havent developed the dad skills to open a bottle with any object

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

sneakyfrog posted:

These should require showing you have a will before purchasing.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lurking Haro posted:

People get used to it, I swear.
I used to work in a security office where the alarm chirped every time anyone opened a door in a building with 150+ doors. The old guys didn't even hear the beep any more. I disabled that poo poo on day one.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Imagine continuously driving in fear of passing a cop for fear of a ridiculously expensive ticket, to own the man for freedoms.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
no its so you can do a sweet kickflip combat roll out your vehicle if it overturns or so if you get trapped in a lake and the car is sinking your commie belt doesnt kill you

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Automakers are very discriminatory, the seat belts aren't designed for the portlier gentleman. Neither is the suspension, my new F-650 truck is already leaning to one side!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

sneakyfrog posted:

Turning your f250 into a meat catapult to own the libs

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

sneakyfrog posted:

no its so you can do a sweet kickflip combat roll out your vehicle if it overturns or so if you get trapped in a lake and the car is sinking your commie belt doesnt kill you
That's what the tactical belt slicer/window hammer are for.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
way to buy into commie culture.

you ninny.

thats some faux operator poo poo right there.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zzulu posted:

Eh maybe but also his car barely took any damage from what you see in that video. A lot of car crashes seem to really gently caress up some cars but Fat Mans car over there just seems to have been punted around and not even much at that

It doesn't take a whole lot to seriously injure or kill you when not wearing a seatbelt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqGv_x2xEZY

Do note that there are some crashes with ambiguous survival in this video, but there's a lot of low-speed crashes where the person with a seatbelt barely even moves while the people without a seatbelt pinball around the interior, smashing their head into stuff or careening into other people.

Seatbelts are absolutely vital. Even if your car is still driveable after the impact, the energy being imparted can be more than enough to crack your head open and turn you into a projectile.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
It's also important to note that airbags are designed to work in conjunction with your seatbelt, and can increase your risk of injury if you're not wearing one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Big Dick Cheney posted:

I do the slight left turn before turning right thing sometimes. I think it's because I played a lot of Euro Truck Simulator before I learned to drive for real.

goons.txt

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's also important to note that airbags are designed to work in conjunction with your seatbelt, and can increase your risk of injury if you're not wearing one.

I think US airbags are designed to work if you aren't wearing a seatbelt. Airbags in other countries open less violently because in the US, they have to be able to catch an unbelted idiot.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Learning how to steer in a slide in Grand Theft Auto really did help for the times that I've slid on ice in real life. :shrug:

Cojawfee posted:

I think US airbags are designed to work if you aren't wearing a seatbelt. Airbags in other countries open less violently because in the US, they have to be able to catch an unbelted idiot.
I dunno, I've never heard that before and my American Subaru definitely has a warning in the manual about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Learning how to steer in a slide in Grand Theft Auto really did help for the times that I've slid on ice in real life. :shrug:

I dunno, I've never heard that before and my American Subaru definitely has a warning in the manual about it.

From wikipedia

quote:

In 1998, FMVSS 208 was amended to require dual front airbags, and reduced-power, second-generation airbags were also mandated. This was due to the injuries caused by first-generation airbags, though FMVSS 208 continues to require that bags be engineered and calibrated to be able to "save" the life of an unbelted 50th-percentile size and weight "male" crash test dummy. Technical performance and validation requirements for the inflator assembly used in airbag modules are specified in SAE USCAR 24-2.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

All my slavic relatives wear their seatbelts, but only if in the front seat. Seat belts are important safety items and you'd be a fool not to buckle up... unless you're in the back seat in which case what the gently caress who the gently caress wears a seat belt in the back seat why would you ever do that!?!?

It's just so bizarre that they're 100% on board with seat belts, 100% understand why they are important, but some how think being in the back seat makes you immune to the same physics happening tot he front seats. I've asked them to explain this to me and it's just "Well... just everyone knows you don't wear them in the back." Just a weird cultural thing I guess.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

sneakyfrog posted:

way to buy into commie culture.

you ninny.

thats some faux operator poo poo right there.

Cut the seatbelt with your sickle, smash the window with your hammer.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

All my slavic relatives wear their seatbelts, but only if in the front seat. Seat belts are important safety items and you'd be a fool not to buckle up... unless you're in the back seat in which case what the gently caress who the gently caress wears a seat belt in the back seat why would you ever do that!?!?
TBF we do the same with buses. Wear your seatbelt, except if you're on a bus, then we won't even give you a seatbelt.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Baronjutter posted:

It's just so bizarre that they're 100% on board with seat belts, 100% understand why they are important, but some how think being in the back seat makes you immune to the same physics happening tot he front seats. I've asked them to explain this to me and it's just "Well... just everyone knows you don't wear them in the back." Just a weird cultural thing I guess.

anybody got that PSA from Australia or NZ where the unbuckled kid in the back becomes a projectile, killing him and his mom up front?

it was some highway horrors level poo poo

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Craptacular posted:

TBF we do the same with buses. Wear your seatbelt, except if you're on a bus, then we won't even give you a seatbelt.

Buses operate much, much differently in a crash than in cars.

Unless they roll over.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hugh Malone posted:

anybody got that PSA from Australia or NZ where the unbuckled kid in the back becomes a projectile, killing him and his mom up front?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN8QPRAudS0

Apparently it's British

Here's a playlist of a bunch of Australian ones, including that one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 5, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Do school buses have seat belts yet? I remember as a kid the best spot to ride was the seat directly over the rear axle because when the driver hit a pothole you'd get launched up to the ceiling. Seems absurd that the official NHTSA recommendation is for children to ride in a car seat or booster seat until they're 10 years old (seriously, look it up), but if it's a school bus bench seat lol just hold on tight kiddos

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

FCKGW posted:

Buses operate much, much differently in a crash than in cars.

Unless they roll over.

Seriously. If you aren’t getting hit by a train or a full-speed semi, you’ll probably be okay in a bus. I drove a converted school bus to and from Burning Man one year (hauling a bunch of people’s camping gear), and during the drive back through the Texas hill country some deer darted in front of us and we hit one. Normally, that’d be a pretty severe wreck. But hitting that deer at 30mph didn’t even slow the bus down. It was like going over a short speed bump and we were able to continue driving without issue the rest of the way.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Do school buses have seat belts yet? I remember as a kid the best spot to ride was the seat directly over the rear axle because when the driver hit a pothole you'd get launched up to the ceiling. Seems absurd that the official NHTSA recommendation is for children to ride in a car seat or booster seat until they're 10 years old (seriously, look it up), but if it's a school bus bench seat lol just hold on tight kiddos

I've ridden in a few school buses in the past few years because they were used to move people from parking to an event and they had seatbelts. Not that you need them as an adult because your knees are firmly jammed into the seat in front of you, so you aren't going anywhere.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I've posted about this before, maybe in another thread, but I briefly worked for a guy who would compile research on traffic accidents for the state government to use.

And he refused to wear his seatbelt.

Naturally, he got in a wreck and went face-first through the windshield. He survived, but with significant brain damage. His wife divorced him, so he stalked her, ended up in jail for a bit, and eventually died in his sleep from complications related to, y'know, turbo-loving his frontal lobes because lol seatbelts y tho?

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Hugh Malone posted:

there's also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsPFJAiPe5M

"he's going to hit her girlfriend so hard she end up with permanent brain damage" :shepface:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Head explode.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Powershift posted:

There are actually cameras that track you based on the map of your cardiovascular system highlighted by the fluoride in your blood from the fluoride in the water and they also use it for mind control to make you consume more under capitalism.

https://www.eff.org/pages/automated-license-plate-readers-alpr

https://www.aclu.org/issues/privacy-technology/location-tracking/you-are-being-tracked

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3k9bjj/license-plate-scanners-track-millions-of-drivers-to-catch-a-handful-of-criminals

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/26/16932350/ice-immigration-customs-license-plate-recognition-contract-vigilant-solutions

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"ACLU" sounds like something you just made up. I'm not clicking through to your conspiracy theory websites and getting cookies from god knows where.

You're just paranoid.

Anyways, remember OSHA?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Guys wait, what if this is secretly brilliant?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It is, it distributes the weight over a larger area so the little wire handle doesn't hurt your hand.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Who the hell has double open ended wre-

oh right i do, Flare nut wrenches. Carry on then.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MRC48B posted:

Who the hell has double open ended wre-

oh right i do, Flare nut wrenches. Carry on then.

Combination wrenches weren't a thing until the 30s, cyka blyat.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Americans destroy the environment creating plastic handles to slip on/clip onto pail handles to help distribute the weight. The russians used and reused a wrench :ussr:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I thought newer US cars would sense if the seat belt is latched and disable the airbag if the belt is not latched. Maybe that's just for the passenger side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

I thought newer US cars would sense if the seat belt is latched and disable the airbag if the belt is not latched. Maybe that's just for the passenger side.

The passenger airbag disables if there is no weight detected in the passenger seat. Mostly because passenger airbags are fuckoff huge and wreck your car/life.