Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Roobanguy posted:

man i really don't like MC's sword.

it's a SPINE

(it is not a spine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Whip swords are cool.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Did you folks see the advanced class stats breakdown? https://serenesforest.net/2019/07/04/three-houses-advanced-classes-via-japanese-website/

Paladins have the same speed growths as generals (fortress in FE16), I can't remember them having that low speed in the previous games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean those might be base stats/promotion gains not growths

especially seeing as move is on there

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Torrannor posted:

Did you folks see the advanced class stats breakdown? https://serenesforest.net/2019/07/04/three-houses-advanced-classes-via-japanese-website/

Paladins have the same speed growths as generals (fortress in FE16), I can't remember them having that low speed in the previous games.

Paladins had pretty abysmal stats in RD, speed among them

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I almost forgot that Dark Mages were male exclusive and by extension, Dark Bishops

so dumb

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rannum posted:

I almost forgot that Dark Mages were male exclusive and by extension, Dark Bishops

so dumb

yeah im whatever on gender exclusive classes but dark mage and hero being male exclusive is weird, esp. since things seem really weighted towards guys since theyve only shown peg knights as a female exclusive class

i can get, say, grapplers being male exclusive, and i can even maybe get dark mages being male exclusive if you want guys to have something unique to compensate for girls having low level flying, but idk why heroes would be male exclusive, especially when mercenaries arent male exclusive

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Peg Knights are always OP though, let's be fair.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They showed off the game at a French tradeshow. There wasn't a ton of new info, but we did learn that scanning in FE amiibo unlocks player phase music from their game that you can switch to, which is neat enough.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
There is an article from Japan expo about Three Houses. It's an interview with the lead developer and art director. The lead developer says that without skipping cutscenes one path takes 80 hours and in total there is 200+ hours of gameplay.

He might be taking his time playing the game but nevertheless it seems it's going to be a really long game. Since the school phase will last for one year game time, the war phase will probably be more than half of the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean they've said the school phase is about 12-13 chapters

and you gotta figure 'not skipping cutscenes' also includes watching every battle animation, all the incidental school conversations, etc

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I always hear reports of people spending 100 hours on RPGs that are normal length and just assume that any reports of overly long games are just slow players most of the time

e: plus yeah like 50% of FE is watching animations if you never skip them and I will be skipping a lot of animations

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I can see 40 hours for the average (anyone in this thread is the 5%) person, especially since it's more of an rpg with lots of incidental conversations, school stuff, etc.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I always hear reports of people spending 100 hours on RPGs that are normal length and just assume that any reports of overly long games are just slow players most of the time
This is me. I spent 150 hours on an actually long RPG (cold steel 2)

And all my FE playthroughs always take forever too

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Meallan posted:

Wait... You guys don't chose your own avatars ?

You can buy your own avatar for $5. Or you can buy an avatar for someone else for $10.

If you leave yours blank when you create your account, you get the Stupid Newbie avatar by default, which used to be a baby, but now it's the Trump Lover avatar.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
FE taking a while makes sense, it's a fairly slow game. Plus 3haus has the additional aspect of menuing forever even out of battle.

Unfortunately though just saying "oh yea a lot of hours" doesn't mean much, but if school phase is ~15 then it's probably pushing thirty chapters a story, which is fairly lengthy. That is all complete conjecture.

One thing I am lowkey kinda EH about is that if the school phase takes that long then effectively you're playing half the game over and over until you get to the route, and you can't just make an extra save as you're using different characters. That'll kinda blow.

Detective No. 27 posted:

You can buy your own avatar for $5. Or you can buy an avatar for someone else for $10.

If you leave yours blank when you create your account, you get the Stupid Newbie avatar by default, which used to be a baby, but now it's the Trump Lover avatar.

You actually can't put in an avatar anymore, to memory.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Here's an interview with the various directors involved. https://www.vg247.com/2019/07/05/fire-emblem-three-houses-interview/

a few quotes i thought most interesting

quote:

“To tell you the truth, it was a very big surprise,” Three Houses director at Intelligent Systems Toshiyuki Kusakihara says of Awakening’s success. “To tell you more, I can say… I honestly still don’t understand why it was such a success, as we didn’t realize – we didn’t make any change to our philosophy to make Awakening be liked outside Japan.

“I still don’t understand why it’s so popular,” he adds with a laugh. “It’s strange.”

quote:

“As far as this game goes, I’m pretty sure that without the help of Koei Tecmo it simply wouldn’t have been possible,” Kusakihara says of the studio.

“Or maybe it was possible, but it would have taken a lot more time,” adds Genki Yokota, Three Houses’ director on the Nintendo side of development.

quote:

“Regarding the design aspect – Koei Tecmo didn’t do so much,” Kusakihara clarifies. “It was especially us at Intelligent Systems who did all of the graphics and design. For example, we had the help of a freelance illustrator Kazuma Koda [Nier Automata, Bayonetta 2] and also Chinatsu Kurahara [Uta no Prince-sama, Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters], who was the character designer. My team and I were in charge of designs like weapons, monsters and other details like that. So in design terms, it was mainly Intelligent Systems.”

“The main plot, the game system, all the ideas, all the gameplay mechanics – that basis was all decided with Intelligent Systems also,” Yokota adds. “Then after a lot of discussion with Koei Tecmo, we figured out all of the details, and Koei Tecmo helped with programming the game.”

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think that explains a lot about Fates. If they had no idea what the draw of Awakening was, it's understandable they'd triple down on it from every conceivable angle.

So what do you think was the draw? Was it just having a Fire Emblem game that wasn't stupidly rare like the Tellius ones or the bland FE11?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
You could marry your waifu and have babies with them.

I'm almost certain that's it.

Awakening being one of the easiest games in the series probably helped too.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

The Bee posted:

I think that explains a lot about Fates. If they had no idea what the draw of Awakening was, it's understandable they'd triple down on it from every conceivable angle.

So what do you think was the draw? Was it just having a Fire Emblem game that wasn't stupidly rare like the Tellius ones or the bland FE11?

Awakening had pretty much every feature from previous games crammed into it (skills, world map, branching promotions, marriage and child characters) plus tons of polish and available content.

Plus it came out at a time where the 3DS was just starting to hit its stride and needed a good RPG.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Neo_Crimson posted:

Awakening had pretty much every feature from previous games crammed into it (skills, world map, branching promotions, marriage and child characters) plus tons of polish and available content.

Plus it came out at a time where the 3DS was just starting to hit its stride and needed a good RPG.

This.

inthesto posted:

You could marry your waifu and have babies with them.

I'm almost certain that's it.

Awakening being one of the easiest games in the series probably helped too.

But moreso this.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

My favorite thing about Awakening was the critical hit quotes w/ face cut-ins

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I better be able to marry my one true waifu Edelgard Dorothea Claude.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

There's also more casual factors that probably helped.
It had an appealing art style (& beyond the feet thing the graphics weren't half bad) & music, the maps weren't super complex (with the gimmicky pain maps put into paralgoues), it let you get really strong, it had a casual mode to get around the series' biggest issue casual people might have, there were shops all over the overworld with periodic grinding spots so weapon durability wasn't as much an issue.

Casual mode in particular was probably a big selling point, if I had to imagine.

It also probably helped that Awakening had a solid print run and anyone could buy it on eshop.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What also helped was that Awakening story wise had a solid first act.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It had infinite supports, allowing the series' most distinctive element to flourish. Plus there was pent-up demand after the lackluster DS games.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
And heck we didn’t even get the second of the DS remakes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Bee posted:

it looked like modern anime and came out at a time when a lot of people had a 3ds and needed games to play on it

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxiEcWYmxr8

I think it sold well cause the commercial quoted Kelik from The Last Promise

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Honestly for me the thing that got me excited for Awakening was seeing the rework they did to reclassing. Giving everyone a unique set of 3 classes instead of generic pools of 5 based on your starter class was exactly what I wanted out of that kind of system after it turned me so hard off of Shadow Dragon (among a multitude of other things)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Art style for me. Ds was so loving ugly.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I double take at how a lot of the Archanea characters look good in feh because they all look like sad mannequins in the DS games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i still dont get why the ds games looked how they did because izuka is a good artist

the art director for the ds games must have just sucked

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

i still dont get why the ds games looked how they did because izuka is a good artist

It doesn't help that they went for 3d renders instead of hand drawn portraits.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

The OAs that Masamune something did for Shadow Dragon (especially Minerva and Caeda) look fantastic but the modeling for the games was horrific

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

All the cutscene artworks (beyond not having eyes) and the full body artworks are generally fine but for some reason 'dead eyed doll' was THE look of the game because ????????

I can understand wanting renders for in-battle. Good sprite work probably costs more and they probably wanted Shadow Dragon to be grittier or relatively down to earth for......some....reason. Thus: dull 3d models that they can use to quickly create animations
But man there had to be a better way and the actual portraits needed anything better

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm going to say the characters helped, in the original writing and in the localization as well as the art. A cast people engage with makes them more likely to recommend a game to friends. And Awakening's success was notable for, well, people recommending it. Where most games (especially RPGs) sell a lot early on then taper off, Awakening sold a lot and kept selling for a long time.

Fates had a more standard pattern, partially since it was piggybacking on Awakening.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I definitely think that it’s status as a good RPG in the early days of the 3DS helped. That, along with friends being excited for new FE, caused me to buy Awakening, even though I had never played an FE game before and didn’t really know what it was. (Awakening didn’t grab me enough to make me an FE fan or even finish the game, but that’s a different story.)

It’s easy to forget now how dire the 3DS’s library was now that it’s so expansive, especially for JRPG fans. But in the early years of the 3DS, there were so few releases. I primarily played DS games on my 3DS for a good half a year myself.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I now feel validated in going for the Seasons of Warfare bundle, this game is gonna own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

lurksion posted:

Also I mentioned this before, but her eyes are waaayy too far to the side of her face. That's not human.

Rather, reptilepersonteacher

E:
From the FE thread

from some videos on the JP site
MB
FB

How did I miss this earlier, what the hell? An outfit's not going to save that.