Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

FilthyImp posted:

I'm Elaiena Madrigal-Jœhåneussįn, here with some Boomer Bullshit. My guest tonight is, like, Mitt Romney but somehow whiter. Guest, we've heard a lot recently about the concept of the "Free Ride" in the educational market, proposed by Bernie--

*guest harumphs derisively *

--Bernie Sanders. What do you see as the biggest barrier to education for these students.

Guest: Well, definitely, that American need to strive for better. Kids nowadays just... well they just want things handed to them. The best schools. The best scholarships. But do they work for them? That's the thing, as a College Freshman I took a job for a week at the local Gas N Pump. I earned just over $159 dollars and that covered my tuition, books, dorm, social expenses and cafeteria bill through graduate school. And the kids now just don't, anymore.

All my bookmarked threads are starting to converge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I'm Mary Louise Kelly.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I fuking love NPR.
Dave Davies is rules.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Beautiful downtown Oakland, California

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

SanTA MoniCKa, California. We're literally the only people in the world that pronounce it like this.

this...is NPR.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.
This is Diane Rehm, and the hypnotic quality of my voice is compelling you to listen in mixed fascination and horror at the prospect that I might literally crumble into dust in the middle of a sentence.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like when nasally white women on NPR bust into thick accents to say a single word. It's like my mom in a mexican/chinese restaurant except it makes my mom sound racist and these ladies sound woke for some reason.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I like when nasally white women on NPR bust into thick accents to say a single word. It's like my mom in a mexican/chinese restaurant except it makes my mom sound racist and these ladies sound woke for some reason.
It's because they're frequently not white, just very trained to speak in the NPR style

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NPR has a lot of diversity issues because journalism has them but the thing I always admired most about public radio was its willingness to put people of color and women on the air. Shame that's not true in the newsrooms and the offices.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Every time Terry Gross names off the credits for Fresh Air, whenever she gets to Sam Briger, I'll always say "brigger please" to myself. It's pretty much a ritual at this point.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
So Justin Amash is going to be on every NPR show, right? Wait Wait, TAL, Tiny Desk..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Amash

quote:

Amash is a libertarian. He is regarded as one of the most conservative members of Congress, receiving high scores from conservative interest groups such as the Club for Growth, Heritage Action for America, and Americans for Prosperity, and praise from conservative think tanks and nonprofit organizations. He is a founding member of the House Freedom Caucus, a group of hard-line conservative Republicans in the House.

Before leaving the GOP, Amash gained a reputation as a gadfly within the Republican Party; his staunchly libertarian and sometimes contrarian views resulted at times in disagreements with party leadership and other members of the Michigan congressional delegation.

Amash has called economists F. A. Hayek and Frédéric Bastiat his "biggest heroes" and political inspirations, and has described himself as "Hayekian libertarian". When The New York Times asked him to explain his approach to voting on legislation, he replied, "I follow a set of principles. I follow the Constitution. And that's what I base my votes on. Limited government, economic freedom, and individual liberty."

(...)

Amash opposes abortion and federal funding for abortion. He describes himself as "100 percent pro-life" and in 2017 voted in favor of federal legislation to ban most abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

TheManWithNoName posted:

im Mary Louise Kelly’s saliva

im Kai Ryssdal's salvia

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

*light melody plays with mouth noises weaved in*

This is Mouth Noises, with your host Bowl of Saliva-Rodriguez

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

neato burrito posted:

Every time Terry Gross names off the credits for Fresh Air, whenever she gets to Sam Briger, I'll always say "brigger please" to myself. It's pretty much a ritual at this point.

I do this but with Eleanor Beardsley and always yell "Mr Beardsley?!"

dpush
Nov 10, 2009
Today on 1A, we speak to a black guy about black guy stuff.

Yo dog wha be up wif dat an sheee.

I'm Joshua Johnson.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

dpush posted:

Today on 1A, we speak to a black guy about black guy stuff.

Yo dog wha be up wif dat an sheee.

I'm Joshua Johnson.

it's better than not talking to a black guy about black stuff.
:shrug:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
shhhhhheeeeeeeeeeit

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ElGroucho posted:

shhhhhheeeeeeeeeeit

Ha ha! A white guy heard from

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Finding out Joshua Johnson is gay was almost as surprising as finding out Ira Glass isn't.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Breakfast All Day posted:

It's act 2. I'm Zoe Chace. Once again, I find myself in the front office of senator Jeff Flake. In one week, the senate will be voting on ______. Flake is a republican, but he also says he's a moderate, and is undecided on _______. Over the next hour we'll be following Flake as he goes about the business of the senate and makes up his mind on _____.

I know we've done this story three times before, and, surprisingly, Flake has always voted with the republican line. I also know that Flake received $200k of funding from the _____ industry in his last campaign. But to me, in his office, he really seems divided, determined to do whats right for constituents, and struggling under the weight of his responsibility, like in this clip: "well, ayuck ayuck ayuck, gollie gee little lady. There's a lot of opinions out there, and I'm just a simple senator trying to be a good American. I really don't know how I'm going to vote. Do you think it could be with my party and with the interests that sponsor me and will make me wealthy when I cash out in a few months? Do you? You don't? You don't think so, you credulous useful idiot journalism prep school poo poo?" We'll come back to Flake's struggle in a moment, but first, I have to respond to a Nigerian prince who's in desperate need of my expertise and guidance.
I can't stop thinking about this post and Zoe Chace's endless credulity over several episodes and more than a year of following this man around. There is something about The Outwardly Conflicted Republican that's like catnip wrapped around kryptonite for a certain class of reporters.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Skypie posted:

I do this but with Eleanor Beardsley and always yell "Mr Beardsley?!"

i just do my best shakey eleanor voice.

"I'm ELEaNor BeaaaRdsley. Wake uP MiStEr FreeMAN. Wake up, and SmEll the AshEs. ThiS...is En PeE Arrgh"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Your NPR Name
1. Insert your first initial somewhere in your middle name
2. The name of the town your maternal ancestors lived in in the 1850s

optional
3. Hypen
4. Your high school girlfriend's dog's name

I guess that makes me Crobert Glencullen-Snickers.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

I can't stop thinking about this post and Zoe Chace's endless credulity over several episodes and more than a year of following this man around. There is something about The Outwardly Conflicted Republican that's like catnip wrapped around kryptonite for a certain class of reporters.

It's because the mythical Conflicted Republican is the only person who could every be swayed by their reporting, which would make it meaningful and progressive, rather than the status quo apologia/reinforcement it is.

But ultimately it's because they're all petit boug ivy league grads who have never existed in the world outside of the political/media class so only have the clumsy lens of liberal critique which is doomed to credulity and constant surprise at every fractal feature of the world because there's no structural theory to build a better, predictive model (because then you'd have to talk about class, capitalism, ideology, etc.).

My favorite bald-faced example of the credulous naivety (not the ideological blindness) is still near the end of Serial season 1 Adnan having to yell at Sarah Koenig that she doesn't know him, because after working on the story for years she's completely oblivious to him being a compulsive liar. Even he's tired of her getting confused by every detail. And she still doesn't get it, and takes it to be him calling out something about her relationship to the story or some poo poo (because in the end for all of these NPR journos it's about ~~their journey~~).

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Breakfast All Day posted:

It's because the mythical Conflicted Republican is the only person who could every be swayed by their reporting, which would make it meaningful and progressive, rather than the status quo apologia/reinforcement it is.

But ultimately it's because they're all petit boug ivy league grads who have never existed in the world outside of the political/media class so only have the clumsy lens of liberal critique which is doomed to credulity and constant surprise at every fractal feature of the world because there's no structural theory to build a better, predictive model (because then you'd have to talk about class, capitalism, ideology, etc.).

My favorite bald-faced example of the credulous naivety (not the ideological blindness) is still near the end of Serial season 1 Adnan having to yell at Sarah Koenig that she doesn't know him, because after working on the story for years she's completely oblivious to him being a compulsive liar. Even he's tired of her getting confused by every detail. And she still doesn't get it, and takes it to be him calling out something about her relationship to the story or some poo poo (because in the end for all of these NPR journos it's about ~~their journey~~).

"Geez lady, you know I'm full of poo poo, right?"

"Was this his way of saying id never inderstand his struggle?"

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

This American Life did a piece on the misogyny of vocal fry , and It kind of imploded on itself

Also I'm the guy getting brutally savaged by Diane Rheme in an interview but doesn't know if it's ok to defend myself.

Jimlit fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 5, 2019

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

poisonpill posted:

I’m here with Movado Kitania and we’re talking about a play that will be in the local community theater for for three days before closing production and why this might be the most important cultural touchstone of the century.

gently caress. I heard an interview once with Zachary Quinto about starring in an off broadway production of "The Glass Menagerie" and I just kept thinking, "Who loving cares?!" every ten seconds for like, the entire half-hour interview.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
I'm Kai Ryssdal and this is (pause) Marketplace

Today we're gonna suck off some capitalists

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Grimoire posted:

I'm Kai Ryssdal and this is (pause) Marketplace

Today we're gonna suck off some capitalists

https://soundcloud.com/relentless-picnic/ep-26-this-is-marketplace#t=33:19

(also this whole episode is loving great and very much this thread)

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I had to stop listening to This American Life around the time of the US election because I get sick and hearing the same poo poo over and over.

But what really did it for me is that I never knew what Ira Glass looked like. Once I did it was over. His voice and looks make me think its Fred Armisen doing a character so I just tune out.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

BattleCattle posted:

Car Talk is the best, too bad it’s dead.

Car Talk was the best.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

AstroWhale posted:

So Justin Amash is going to be on every NPR show, right? Wait Wait, TAL, Tiny Desk..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Amash

This dude would 100% be up for taking the ten commandments out of public buildings... to replace it with Hans Herman Hoppe's ten commandments!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Today on All Things Considered, we discuss a bunch of dumb shallow poo poo, but we sure aren't discussing Bernie!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

ElGroucho posted:

"Geez lady, you know I'm full of poo poo, right?"

"Was this his way of saying id never inderstand his struggle?"

Haha yeah I wonder if at a point in production they realized he was clearly guilty but it was too late to change subjects. “We have no other suspects, the victim’s family won’t speak to us and probably doesn’t appreciate the thousands of amateur detectives this will spawn, better go forward anyway.”

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Adnan did it.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Car Talk was so incongruous to the rest of NPR's programming (because it was good and funny) that I have to believe it was only picked up as a prank on the network by some departing executive who loathed everyone he worked with

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Driving cross-country on a weekend, the best thing that can happen was coming across Car Talk on some NPR station.

When it was over I'd grudgingly listen to Prairie Home Companion, switching away whenever I got overly strong douche-chills from the musical acts or the sex pest whistling on the letter 's'.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Driving cross-country on a weekend, the best thing that can happen was coming across Car Talk on some NPR station.

I'll never forget the best car talk moment I ever heard on the radio: A caller had called in about her car running low on oil on the way home and throwing a bunch of warning lights. Instead of stopping the car when it happened she had made it all the way home while the car was making all sorts of horrible noises. During the call she offers to start the car and you can hear over the garbled phone static the car's engine basically grenade itself. I just remember Ray going "You might want to sit down for this prognosis" and Tom laughing his rear end off while this poor person murders their car on air.

"There's a bunch of fluid coming out under the car now..."

I haven't had a magical moment like that on any other NPR show, Car Talk was one of a kind.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Luxrage posted:

I'll never forget the best car talk moment I ever heard on the radio: A caller had called in about her car running low on oil on the way home and throwing a bunch of warning lights. Instead of stopping the car when it happened she had made it all the way home while the car was making all sorts of horrible noises. During the call she offers to start the car and you can hear over the garbled phone static the car's engine basically grenade itself. I just remember Ray going "You might want to sit down for this prognosis" and Tom laughing his rear end off while this poor person murders their car on air.

I haven't had a magical moment like that on any other NPR show, Car Talk was one of a kind.

I still quote their answer to the question "How far can I drive when the oil light comes on?"

"All the way to the side of the road."

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
All right, best NPR I’ve ever heard was way out in Western Kansas near Scott City (basically where the aliens land in Footfall) and it was an extremely country guy and this a direct quote I will never forget, spelling out phonetically so you get a bit of his twang “Yur lissnin to Cuntry Swing and other thangs, starrrrin In spotlight today Miss Patsy Cliiiinne” and it was like four hours of Patsy Cline and Hank Williams. Good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellagio Sampler
Jul 2, 2007
Bitches don't know bout my additional pylons

Luxrage posted:

That sounds awesome. I'd love to find that clip.

Here's a call they got "My Government Vehicle Shakes at 17,500 MPH" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moAqzM4ptm8