Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Yeah, I read that there was actually more than a little grappling/wrestling involved so I was leaning towards Judo, but with no experience I thought it was best to get some more opinions.

I work pretty late weekdays, so I can't travel very far. I can't really pick things other than Muay Thai/Judo/BJJ. Well, there's also karate, and capoeira, I guess.

cubivore fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If by HEMA you mean medieval logsword fencing, absolutely pick judo. Standup grappling is foundational to knightly combat, unarmoured or not.

If rapier, foil fencing. The rules are abstract and often frustrating, but you'll develop good mechanics and a tactical eye.

If you're into Battle of the Nations style armoured bash, Muay Thai will help you get comfortable training on a heavy bag and taking knocks.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Judo. Bring comfortable in standup grappling will be useful. Judo is also typically cheap and has quality instruction.

Muay Thai will get you used to range, and people trying to get you with things at different ranges. You'll probably get a very good cardio workout.

Honestly, you should just try them and see which clicks with you. The best option is there one that you'll actually go to.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Seconding Judo, however really I don't think the flavor is as critical so much as the practical life experience of grappling (I've only done collegiate wrestling for example and don't feel deficient when sparring those who have learned other grappling styles). In any grappling the core fundamentals are intrinsic (as the Fechtbook masters say) to all fighting, and its specifically the core concepts rather than higher level techniques or concepts that are being leveraged for other fighting types (like longsword).

I've noticed that really any practitioners with grappling/wrestling experience seem to have about the same advantage insomuch as concepts like distance/timing/pressure-feeling are already learned/mastered to some degree, and its those concepts that are fundamental to proper longsword (or really as the masters say, any) fighting.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There are actually quite a few "old" judo throws that supposedly have their origins in grappling between armoured combatants.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If nothing else you'll learn breakfalls from judo which are an essential life skill imo. They should teach that poo poo to everybody in grade school

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I've enrolled myself and my daughter for a year into a place which teaches Tang Soo Do. It gives us something to do together and I'm looking at it like a couple of extra cardio sessions per week as well.

Currently, we're doing two 45-minute sessions per week, and there are 12 weeks in each "rotation" of training. I'm looking for advice on getting the most out of it. We plan on practicing some stuff at home, and next week I was going to make it a point for us to do at least 15-20 minutes a day practicing moves and our form for when it comes time to test for a belt.

Are there any accessories anyone would recommend I have at home and the best place to purchase things? i.e. kick targets/pads that sort of thing.

Thanks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How old is your kid and how enthusiastic is she?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

LLJKSiLk posted:

I've enrolled myself and my daughter for a year into a place which teaches Tang Soo Do. It gives us something to do together and I'm looking at it like a couple of extra cardio sessions per week as well.

Currently, we're doing two 45-minute sessions per week, and there are 12 weeks in each "rotation" of training. I'm looking for advice on getting the most out of it. We plan on practicing some stuff at home, and next week I was going to make it a point for us to do at least 15-20 minutes a day practicing moves and our form for when it comes time to test for a belt.

Are there any accessories anyone would recommend I have at home and the best place to purchase things? i.e. kick targets/pads that sort of thing.

Thanks.

I'm a dad who does Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and also has my kids doing the kid MT/BJJ classes too.

I'd recommend some knee supports with padding. We're older dudes and I've found wearing the braces/pads allows me to train as much as I want, vs only being able to do it a couple days a week.

Here's what I use: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultra-Support-Compression-Infused-Knee-Support-Brace-For-Men-Women/285817466 And also: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tommie-Copper-Sport-Protective-Knee-Pads-Black-Large-XL/928530772

For home training I just use smaller pads for punching/elbows: https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ce...131&Channel=pla

For kicks we just spar at around 30%. (nothing to the head, of course)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Dave Grool posted:

If nothing else you'll learn breakfalls from judo which are an essential life skill imo. They should teach that poo poo to everybody in grade school
:emptyquote:

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

kimbo305 posted:

How old is your kid and how enthusiastic is she?

She's 11 and she enjoys our time in class/together. She will do practice on her own if I remind her, but she's not obsessive about getting to be the best or anything.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Unless she really wants to do a lot of target kicking at home, I'd prob just clear some space and let her work on forms if she's in the mood. Give it a couple months and see what she does and doesn't like about the in-class activity.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

Kendo and Fencing arent gonna help in fully armored. Fencing is about being faster than your opponent with a light flexible pokey stick and Kendo is about having more kiai than your opponent aiming to strike a decisive blow.

Yeah, wrong.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Didn't we have some hema poster(s)? For a bit?

From what I remember of those conversations the best way to kill a knight is use your sword to hip throw them to the ground and then stab at the armpits.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I did it for a couple of years before pivoting to modern fencing (and now don’t do either because of job hours, :rip:), and iirc DandyLion
is an instructor.

But yeah, you're correct. Single-leg takedowns and judo-esque leg sweeps also work if you don't have a big lever handy.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Xguard86 posted:

Didn't we have some hema poster(s)? For a bit?

... the best way to kill a knight is use your sword to hip throw them to the ground and then stab at the armpits.

Yeah I've got a field harness I've sparred with/fought in and the only way I was under serious threat was either from a full swing of a polearm (or in rare cases a mordshlag strike with the sword pommel) or from being grappled/taken down and stuck in the visor/armpit/groin/neck with a rondell or in rarer cases swordpoint.

Fights in harness against blossfechten (folks in street clothes) fighters was like beating up a bunch of pre-schoolers. The armor is so light/evenly distributed (my field harness I had made out of 410 spring stainless and weighed about 40 lbs) that if you're fit you barely register the additional load, and even when your opponents know they need to take you down and stick you in one of the few vulnerable spots to end you, as long as you have your wits about you its exceptionally difficult to be assailed by someone not also in armor.

Most of the armor vs. armor grapling is usually via polearms or with half-sword (where you've got one hand on the grip and another about 1/4 of the way from the tip of the blade). Interestingly enough its actually more challenging to grapple bare handed (gauntleted) than with the polearm or sword in half-sword grip (mostly because of all the extra leverage you can get from the weapon - which at that point is used more like a pointy crowbar).

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I find that stuff really interesting and would love to try some kind of stick wrestle.

How do you do a single leg with a sword? Do you put it under their leg and like twist?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Pretty much:

I was actually thinking of an unarmoured dagger technique that's pretty close to a modern single leg, but I can't find an illustration of it in armour. Here's something vaguely related instead:

These illustrations are from a set of manuscripts called the Gladiatoria group that's all about fighting in armour. The techniques in the manuscripts appear over and over in different late medieval sources, but I really love the art style in these ones.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 2, 2019

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Nice. Also one of the grappling panels includes a ball-shot before shanking them.

Loath to link Reddit but feels related:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unexpected/comments/c88fmp/parry_this_you_casul/

Yeah that armor really doesn't slow ya down lol.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

LLJKSiLk posted:

Thanks.

We have some sort of black belt Tang Soo Do practitioner that trains with us at Traditional TKD. He says there is a lot of similarity and fits in quite well.

2x a week, especially not even an hour each is really not much. Can you train more? Like extra classes? Since you have a partner kick paddles and pads are certainly helpful for home practice if you have the room, but you really need to be confident your not practicing poor technique all the time at home or else your going to be setting that to memory and it will be that much harder to lose.

Amazon is where I bought my paddles but I buy my gear at the club.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

slidebite posted:

We have some sort of black belt Tang Soo Do practitioner that trains with us at Traditional TKD. He says there is a lot of similarity and fits in quite well.

2x a week, especially not even an hour each is really not much. Can you train more? Like extra classes? Since you have a partner kick paddles and pads are certainly helpful for home practice if you have the room, but you really need to be confident your not practicing poor technique all the time at home or else your going to be setting that to memory and it will be that much harder to lose.

Amazon is where I bought my paddles but I buy my gear at the club.

The 2x a week thing is for the beginner classes. As you progress more stuff opens up. The beginner classes focus on nailing the proper technique of all the basic things (kicks, blocks, self-defense, form). Once they are satisfied you've gotten that, it opens up intermediate/advanced and more days of training. I could technically do more than 2 days a week, but it covers the same material over a 12 week period until you reach the testing week. They also made a DVD for home use for us to practice at home until we've reached the end of the beginner stuff.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

LLJKSiLk posted:

The 2x a week thing is for the beginner classes. As you progress more stuff opens up. The beginner classes focus on nailing the proper technique of all the basic things (kicks, blocks, self-defense, form). Once they are satisfied you've gotten that, it opens up intermediate/advanced and more days of training. I could technically do more than 2 days a week, but it covers the same material over a 12 week period until you reach the testing week. They also made a DVD for home use for us to practice at home until we've reached the end of the beginner stuff.

Do they charge extra for the DVD and the other classes once you "move up"?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Odddzy posted:

Do they charge extra for the DVD and the other classes once you "move up"?

DVD was $15 for all of the beginner lessons. The other classes, no you don't pay extra. It just changes what's available.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

LLJKSiLk posted:

DVD was $15 for all of the beginner lessons. The other classes, no you don't pay extra. It just changes what's available.

Ok, sounds fine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Personally I'd still try to do extra classes even if it's duplication. You will need a lot of duplication to get proficient at techniques anyhow, so that's not a bad thing. Maybe videos for the days you can't do classes? Heck I'd do more than 2x a week just for the fitness angle if nothing else. Videos are great, but just to be clear videos are not a substitute for someone senior watching your technique.... which I know you are not saying it is.

I am not familiar with TSD but our warm ups take near 20 minutes and our cool downs at the end is 5-10. 45 minute class wouldn't leave much time for drills/practical work. Do they have you do much warm up?

The DVD is not a bad idea. Our club has videos made by our masters (up to black stripe) which includes all the patterns, pre-arranged and techniques which are available for download by members. So I guess it's sort of similar.

I am curious to hear about Tang Soo Do. I'm not very familiar with it.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Update. Moped crime has significantly decreased now police officers are allowed to ram them.

The big thing now is knife defence. The only thing I've ever heard that's worth doing if confronted with a knife is run.

If running isn't an option. Is there anything you can do to increase your chances of survival against someone with a knife?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

willie_dee posted:

Update. Moped crime has significantly decreased now police officers are allowed to ram them.

The big thing now is knife defence. The only thing I've ever heard that's worth doing if confronted with a knife is run.

If running isn't an option. Is there anything you can do to increase your chances of survival against someone with a knife?

give them your wallet

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Mechafunkzilla posted:

give them your wallet

New thread title please

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

willie_dee posted:

Best option is to not get in the position to need them in the first place, but there absolutely are knife defense moves. We recently spent a class focusing on knife defense and it was incredibly interesting since it was so different from what we typically do. You're not going to learn it on a forum though and needs to be taught from someone in person that knows what the hell they are doing.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

willie_dee posted:

Guns for all!

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

slidebite posted:

Best option is to not get in the position to need them in the first place, but there absolutely are knife defense moves. We recently spent a class focusing on knife defense and it was incredibly interesting since it was so different from what we typically do. You're not going to learn it on a forum though and needs to be taught from someone in person that knows what the hell they are doing.

You’re going to die dude. Spit the Kool-Aid out.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

willie_dee posted:

I've heard of really fun-sounding drills for knife defence stuff. Basically you have a dummy knife and you put lipstick or something similar on the sharp parts. Then you have people try their knife defense moves. The result seems to be that you get a lot of lipstick on you. I bet it would be an eye opening experience.

I agree with the "just run" sentiment, but I don't think that should discourage you from looking into it. Just don't pretend like you're invulnerable to knives, no matter how much training you have.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

willie_dee posted:

I'd say your best bet is a front kick to the guts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLUhx1f8H6o

You're probably still going to be stabbed, but if you land a good front kick you might stun him enough that you can now run away.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I don't think I'd risk front kicking with jeans on. Just in general I mean, not as a specific defense to a knife pointed at me.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

I don't think I'd risk front kicking with jeans on. Just in general I mean, not as a specific defense to a knife pointed at me.

You need ACTION JEANS with the flexible crotch.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In Borges's short stories about Argentinian knife fighters, children practice by using charred sticks as training knives.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

In Borges's short stories about Argentinian knife fighters, children practice by using charred sticks as training knives.

Neat.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

A lot of places just use a marker. Hopefully not permanent.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

slidebite posted:

Did you try it using marker pens? Because every video I've seen that's impartial shows the defense tactics do gently caress all and people end up with a poo poo ton of marker on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I have taken pointers from Steven Seagal and traditional Japanese martial arts and started developing a protective layer of fatty tissue around my body to protect my organs.