Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

I agree, the commentary is rarely any good.

That's often true but I also like chip and ironicus, they're funny and also goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I remember reading the Mega Man Legends LP and that's actually a pretty great graphical achievement, the ripped assets had things like angle-specific face sprites for cutscenes. Much like early CG cartoons, you have to work with the medium to get anything good out of it. Reboot works because the characters are literally video game characters who look if anything super advanced for the era.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

QuarkJets posted:

bioshock 3 was the worst triple a game ever made

I actually enjoyed Bioshock 2 more than Bioshock 1.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I enjoyed Bioshock 3 but it did make me wonder how much game is required for a thing to be considered a game. Although I did enjoy what little of the shooting their actually was.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I didn't play Bioshock 3 because I couldn't justify spending money on a video games art book

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

bioshock 3 was the worst triple a game ever made

This is the unpopular opinion thread.

tango alpha delta posted:

I actually enjoyed Bioshock 2 more than Bioshock 1.

Better.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bioshock 3 felt like, and apparently was, a game that got completely away from the leadership roles in development.

Also if you believed the hook system was gonna revolutionize combat I feel bad for you and your lack of resistence to game marketing hype.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

3 is at least entertaining enough that I played through it and mostly had fun it unlike Bioshock 1, which I quit out of sheer boredom half way through. I'll never understand why people have such a boner for that game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

3 is at least entertaining enough that I played through it and mostly had fun it unlike Bioshock 1, which I quit out of sheer boredom half way through. I'll never understand why people have such a boner for that game.

it showed up in a bit of a dry spell for good interactive shooters; Bioshock was less bad than other titles in its genre

poo poo was dire back then

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Yeah there really hadn't been much in that genre for a while and it came out with big budget production values in a neat setting and some interesting gameplay mechanics that let you be creative.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
bloodborne is the worst soulslike by virtue of not having a PC release and the ps4 version running like poo poo even on a pro. i like everything else about it, but not even a stable 30fps is unacceptable.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

true gamers will appreciate it anyway

i play games, not frames son

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cool have fun playing Lords of the Fallen at glorious 60+ fps in PC land where crap games are better than good ones as long as your FPS is tracking high enough.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Bioshock 1 was insanely boring and had super bad gameplay BUT it did have an ocean floor city which was cool and atmospheric as hell. The setting + that golfclub scene was what made the game worthwhile, though I never considered it a great game. The ending was just laughable

Bioshock 3 was just a whole lotta nothing

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Dark Souls 2 is better than Dark Souls 1.

Dark Souls 2 is pretty consistent, unlike Dark Souls 1 which has the massive crash in quality after O+S.

2 has a way larger set of viable builds and the powerstancing/dual wielding mechanics were a tonne of fun and enabled some very cool setup.

Dark Souls 2 has more and better bosses. Yeah there's not as much variety in cool monsters as DS1, but most of the cool monster fights sucked. Vagina Dragon, Queelag, Ceaseless, etc, none of these are hugely memorable fights outside of their very cool boss designs. All the best boss fights from DS1 were humans with weapons. Dark Souls 2 realised that making good boss fights with huge horrific monsters is very hard.

Life Gems worked slowly enough to not unbalance hard fights but made it a lot more fun to explore.

The PVP's meta wasn't 100% about learning janky bug exploits. You could actually play it and enjoy it.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Bioshock 1 had a lot of interesting mechanics for an FPS at the time, the setting was extremely unique the art direction was on point and the world building was outstanding. All of the mechanics sucked in various ways and the actual shooting was pretty bad as well, but all the other stuff carried it. imo, it was a good game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whoever in Bioshock 1 is responsible for scaling enemy health should take a long walk off a short pier

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

abigserve posted:

Bioshock 1 had a lot of interesting mechanics for an FPS at the time, the setting was extremely unique the art direction was on point and the world building was outstanding. All of the mechanics sucked in various ways and the actual shooting was pretty bad as well, but all the other stuff carried it. imo, it was a good game.

all of the interesting stuff in Bioshock 1 was just a watered down feature from System Shock 2

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

all of the interesting stuff in Bioshock 1 was just a watered down feature from System Shock 2

Right down to both of them being bad, but Bioshock being slightly less so.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

but GUUUUYS don’t you GET IT the guy talking to you the whole time betrayed you and you didn’t really have any agency because it’s a VIDEO GAME omg DEEP

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You know a game has failed to connect on emotional level when my response to "you have been utterly betrayed" is "ok, when do I shoot things again?"

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Rutibex posted:

olives black fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 6, 2019

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
BioShock 1 has maybe my favourite video game world and i give it a replay every 4 years or so, its not a great shooter or anything but the audio logs and tone and the city of Rapture are right up there.

BioShock 2 is guff by comparison, it takes the sub par gameplay and tacks on a dull uninspiring plot which felt rushed to bank on 1s success. I remember nothing about that plot other than a mad scientist being trapped in a robot? Even exploring more of Rapture wasn't enough for me.

Infinite is good, the plots obviously as convoluted as heck (but fun) and the city in the sky was just silly but overall I enjoyed it.

I should really play Prey.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

someone should rip all of the rapture level assets from bioshock and use them to make a less awful game because it is the only immersive sim/atmospheric shooter ive ever played that was so tedious it made me want to stop exploring altogether

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

yes you should play Prey it is insanely good and it is on sale RIGHT NOW

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Prey is also on gamepass. They seemingly cant even give this away despite every single person who liked System Shock playing it and loving it and then never shutting up about it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Dark Souls 2 is better than Dark Souls 1.

Dark Souls 2 is pretty consistent, unlike Dark Souls 1 which has the massive crash in quality after O+S.

2 has a way larger set of viable builds and the powerstancing/dual wielding mechanics were a tonne of fun and enabled some very cool setup.

Dark Souls 2 has more and better bosses. Yeah there's not as much variety in cool monsters as DS1, but most of the cool monster fights sucked. Vagina Dragon, Queelag, Ceaseless, etc, none of these are hugely memorable fights outside of their very cool boss designs. All the best boss fights from DS1 were humans with weapons. Dark Souls 2 realised that making good boss fights with huge horrific monsters is very hard.

Life Gems worked slowly enough to not unbalance hard fights but made it a lot more fun to explore.

The PVP's meta wasn't 100% about learning janky bug exploits. You could actually play it and enjoy it.

It's true. All of it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Prey is also on gamepass. They seemingly cant even give this away despite every single person who liked System Shock playing it and loving it and then never shutting up about it

yeah but only like 50 people played system shock

Vakal
May 11, 2008
One thing I preferred about Dark Souls 1 was that within the first five or so minutes you could get your hands on a ton of great weapons and wreck house.

In Dark Souls 2 though, it seemed like all the interesting weapons were placed way later into the game, so you end up being stuck using poo poo like the mace for a long time.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

Cool have fun playing Lords of the Fallen at glorious 60+ fps in PC land where crap games are better than good ones as long as your FPS is tracking high enough.

Bb had an in engine frame stutter problem that was pretty disorienting at times

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm under no pretense that Bloodborne ran perfectly. It didn't run bad enough to not be the best game though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

Another reason why I'm glad I never play new PC games.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

System Shock 1 is better than System Shock 2 anyway (I now I said this before)

Also: Bioshock 3 had a cool mindfuck ending to the story, which I really liked...until they ruined it (imo) with the DLCs....

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

e: argh, wrong thing

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I absolutely loved the first Bioshock's environment, that weird old futuristic poo poo is a favourite of mine.

Game just wasn't very fun though, I didn't get too far.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the world design in bioshock 3 is somebody's magnum opus. a shame it's full of a bad game

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/turing_police/status/1147301908421337089

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Woah, woah. Back the gently caress up. That wasn't kawaii gamer bath salts for your tub, she is legit selling disgusting creeps dirty bathwater? I think I'm going to need a lie down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
so, uh, Gone Home was p good

I like the punk girl's demo tapes