Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019
They announced a new Harvest Moo-- I mean, Story of Seasons game for Switch. It's a remake of Friends of Mineral Town, which will be interesting, I guess. (Was always a HM64 purist myself.) Definitely snagging it when it comes stateside because I love harvesty goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acems
May 8, 2019

Jolene posted:

They announced a new Harvest Moo-- I mean, Story of Seasons game for Switch. It's a remake of Friends of Mineral Town, which will be interesting, I guess. (Was always a HM64 purist myself.) Definitely snagging it when it comes stateside because I love harvesty goodness.

the art style for this is cute, but all I want is a crisp sprite-based rerelease of fomt.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Weird. So I'm aware that Story of Seasons is the true Harvest Moon, made by the old Harvest Moon team, while Natsume owns the Harvest Moon name and makes games with a new team with the name.

So is is this remake being called Story of Seasons Friends of Mineral Town? Does Natsume own the rights to the past Harvest Moon games too?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
looks nothing like outset island

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If it looked like outset island someone would have noticed and cared 2 years ago.

Instead the only people who see it are the addlepated weirdos trying to force a timeline on Zelda

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Weird. So I'm aware that Story of Seasons is the true Harvest Moon, made by the old Harvest Moon team, while Natsume owns the Harvest Moon name and makes games with a new team with the name.

So is is this remake being called Story of Seasons Friends of Mineral Town? Does Natsume own the rights to the past Harvest Moon games too?

Probably unless Natsume somehow owns the name “Friends of Mineral Town” too.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Yo so I’m playing FF7 on my switch and this boss in a suit on a tower keeps freezing my characters. Is there any way to avoid/combat this?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Yo so I’m playing FF7 on my switch and this boss in a suit on a tower keeps freezing my characters. Is there any way to avoid/combat this?

you can punch the pyramid that he's casting on you. target your friend. press - first though to bring up the help hud so you know you're hitting the pyramid trap and not the character

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
You can attack the things he puts on characters iirc.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think it's Return to Mineral Town or something

Oh huh, I'm actually finding conflicting info on that so /shrug

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Jolene posted:

This was by far my favorite HM game, I put hundreds of hours into it. I am very excited about this. I have to wonder how special it will be in a world that also contains Stardew Valley, though.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I e always thought Stardew was cool, but there’s definitely *something* about it that it lacks. I don’t know if I’d use the word charm, because it’s definitely charming, but it feels hollow or manufactured or something like that.

Maybe it’s just me, who knows. Excited for the new/old Harvest Moon either way.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

LODGE NORTH posted:

I e always thought Stardew was cool, but there’s definitely *something* about it that it lacks. I don’t know if I’d use the word charm, because it’s definitely charming, but it feels hollow or manufactured or something like that.

It's just you. The game's pretty soulful.

I never cared for the extreme crafting/design your own farm part of Stardew Valley, but the characters and the options from fishing to farming to mining are all very good. The writing isn't amazing, and I'd say there's probably just slightly less variation than in Friends of Mineral Town, but I think I'm wrong. Mineral Town is amazing and all, but the characters don't say much. I think all that's lacking is the fun TV shows Mineral Town had really.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

LODGE NORTH posted:

Ive always wanted to like it but i start a new game and get bored after a few hours and forget about it

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Ive always wanted to like it but i start a new game and get bored after a few hours and forget about it

This is me but 45 minutes in. I've played the poo poo out of Harvest Moons, Rune Factory, and even Graveyard Keeper and sunk at least 20 hours, often more into each of them. But Stardew Valley... just bores.

Maybe it's just not a very good game

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

LODGE NORTH posted:

I have the same feeling when playing Stardew Valley. I can't really pin it down.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

How are the Bayonetta games on Switch? I’ve been wanting to play them again, and Switch versions sound nice.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Model Camper posted:

Fun fact: Marvel owns the trademark on “Super Hero” so Batman cannot be referred to as such. They don’t enforce it outside of licensing though.

DC owns “super villain” so the reverse is also true.

Huh. I did not know this! Is that why in The Incredibles, people with powers are only referred to as Supers? I thought it was a neat bit of world building, but never knew it came about because of licensing or whatnot.

guppy posted:

This was by far my favorite HM game, I put hundreds of hours into it. I am very excited about this. I have to wonder how special it will be in a world that also contains Stardew Valley, though.

I wonder if I would like it. I tried one Harvest Moon (on DS) and quit in winter time because I got bored. Stardew held my interest until the "ending" of it, and I still go back and fiddle with my farm from time to time. I also liked Rune Factor 4, but both those games have something to do other than tend a farm and talk to townspeople. I completely ignored the social aspects of Stardw, in fact.

Given this... do you reckon I would like a traditional Harvest Moon?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mekyabetsu posted:

How are the Bayonetta games on Switch? I’ve been wanting to play them again, and Switch versions sound nice.

Theyre on the switch. I dont think there is anything else to say

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Barudak posted:

Theyre on the switch. I dont think there is anything else to say

I guess I was mostly wondering if there were any performance issues, but then I looked it up, and the first Bayonetta is literally 10 years old. :smith:

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
That last level of Shantae Half Genie is driving me crazy. So close with the Harpy but the last change to Monkey is just out of reach.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
as a consummate Harvest Moon fan, Stardew Valley failed to grab me because I was about two hours in and still hadn't grown any crops

like they kind of designed the game to throw all this periphery stuff at the player from the outset but forgot to let me, like, Farm Things

I don't need to know some character's dad backstory or whatever I just want to grOW some goD drat TURNIPS

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

mekyabetsu posted:

I guess I was mostly wondering if there were any performance issues, but then I looked it up, and the first Bayonetta is literally 10 years old. :smith:

I played both games on the Switch and experienced zero issues with performance. Both ran great and were a blast to play.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
For me, Stardew was what Harvest Moon should've been evolving toward. There's more options to make money besides crops, and you have more control in the design and automation of your farm. It adds elements of Animal Crossing by having you collect various items to incentivize playing (and encouraging diversification to complete the "good" story route), and the crafting system adds more goals to work towards and lets you further customize your farm, something the Harvest Moon games really lacked. The villagers are pretty plain, but they still have more depth than the one-note archetypes that filled the Harvest Moon games.

There's more freedom than any Harvest Moon game ever gave you, and as a former huge fan of the Harvest Moon series I'm struggling to find anything those games did better than Stardew Valley. Which isn't a knock against the series, Stardew wouldn't be the game it is if not for all the continual enhancements the Harvest Moon games brought to its own series (even if there were some odd decisions made at times), but I'm hoping Story of Seasons adds more than being just another remake (hell, Friends of Mineral Town was already a remake of the PS1 game Back to Nature).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mega64 posted:

For me, Stardew was what Harvest Moon should've been evolving toward. There's more options to make money besides crops, and you have more control in the design and automation of your farm. It adds elements of Animal Crossing by having you collect various items to incentivize playing (and encouraging diversification to complete the "good" story route), and the crafting system adds more goals to work towards and lets you further customize your farm, something the Harvest Moon games really lacked. The villagers are pretty plain, but they still have more depth than the one-note archetypes that filled the Harvest Moon games.

There's more freedom than any Harvest Moon game ever gave you, and as a former huge fan of the Harvest Moon series I'm struggling to find anything those games did better than Stardew Valley. Which isn't a knock against the series, Stardew wouldn't be the game it is if not for all the continual enhancements the Harvest Moon games brought to its own series (even if there were some odd decisions made at times), but I'm hoping Story of Seasons adds more than being just another remake (hell, Friends of Mineral Town was already a remake of the PS1 game Back to Nature).

Which looked a lot like HM64 but I never played it just saw my friends sister play bits and pieces

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Are the post-Odyssey Bonus levels in Captain Toad just former levels with new challenges (find the squad, beat Mummy-Me etc?), because if they're not new levels I think I'm going to mark this game down as Beaten and put it aside and really focus on Shovel Knight. I've only got like 4 stages left on Plague Knight before starting the next campaign.

Silver Falcon posted:

Given this... do you reckon I would like a traditional Harvest Moon?

I'm going to say no. Back to Nature/Friends of Mineral Town etc, is really about the farming, but being a PS1/GBA game it's really super basic. I put a lot of time into it trying to get the best versions of the tools or trying to win a competition but frankly, that was on me, the game doesn't expect you or even encourage you to do that stuff. There's some bare-bones automation, and while the game is cute and charming it really lacks the options of these more modern games. And I say that as a person who doesn't really even craft or decorate things.

I loved Harvest Moon as a kid and I really loved the cliché characters, but the game offers you very little to do with them. I think it's more about having short days so you can't ever really get anything done in time. SV gives you loads of things to do, and all the time in the world to do them in, which is frankly very generous.

I'm still hoping to get back to it one of these days on Switch (HA as if I'll ever finish my back-log) and just be a fisherman.

Mega64 posted:

This pretty much here is very well said.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Mega64 posted:

There's more options to make money besides crops, and you have more control in the design and automation of your farm.

I don't see this as a positive - I played Harvest Moon because I liked growing crops on my farm. Why would I want a Harvest Moon game where I don't have to worry about growing crops on my farm.

Other peeps aren't wrong to like it, it's just not for me.

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019

Bleck posted:

I don't see this as a positive - I played Harvest Moon because I liked growing crops on my farm. Why would I want a Harvest Moon game where I don't have to worry about growing crops on my farm.

Other peeps aren't wrong to like it, it's just not for me.

Same here, honestly. I have simple tastes - growing crops, taking care of livestock, the occasional trip to the mine, fishing - and Story of Seasons/Harvest Moon scratches that itch for me in a way Stardew Valley can't. (If I had to say why, maybe it's because I feel more pressure in SV to be a completionist?)

acems
May 8, 2019

Jolene posted:

Same here, honestly. I have simple tastes - growing crops, taking care of livestock, the occasional trip to the mine, fishing - and Story of Seasons/Harvest Moon scratches that itch for me in a way Stardew Valley can't. (If I had to say why, maybe it's because I feel more pressure in SV to be a completionist?)

I relate to this. I feel like I’m playing SV wrong if i’m not minmaxing. HM is a lot better at making me feel like I’m making progress without having to spreadsheet my farm.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

acems posted:

I relate to this. I feel like I’m playing SV wrong if i’m not minmaxing. HM is a lot better at making me feel like I’m making progress without having to spreadsheet my farm.

Yes I feel this too. I played SV up until the first winter before realising I just felt stressed and wasn't enjoying it. There are so many different things to do that it felt like I was making progress at a snail's pace and it was just eating up all my time and I could never work out the most efficient way to spend my days. I just want to grow stuff and feed my cows and chickens, maybe have a festival every now and then.

In other news I had skipped buying Let's Go because eh a simplified remake but a couple of nights ago started watching a speedrun of Let's Go Eevee and only made it half an hour in before stopping to buy the game. It's just so charming and beautifully made! The pokemon are to scale! You can ride around on a gently caress-off giant onix! I've been playing it all day and my inner child is delighted.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 6, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

As the WiiU thread is dead and gone, figured I should ask here: does anyone have experience opening / cleaning the gamepad? Mine is gummed up from an old roommate but I get the feeling it's trickier to clean than most controllers, wondering if anyone can confirm/deny or has any tips.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Organza Quiz posted:

In other news I had skipped buying Let's Go because eh a simplified remake but a couple of nights ago started watching a speedrun of Let's Go Eevee and only made it half an hour in before stopping to buy the game. It's just so charming and beautifully made! The pokemon are to scale! You can ride around on a gently caress-off giant onix! I've been playing it all day and my inner child is delighted.

It's a great game to chill out and relax with. Don't forget you can dress up your Pokemon buddy too :allears:.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
for me the big difference between HM and Stardew is that HM has better music, a better art style (in the old sprite versions), and feels more "cozy". Stardew is more adult and has some harsh themes in it handled in a more harsh way (alcoholism, capitalism, depression, etc)

they are very different games in tone and i prefer HM but stardew is good too

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mad Wack posted:

for me the big difference between HM and Stardew is that HM has better music, a better art style (in the old sprite versions), and feels more "cozy". Stardew is more adult and has some harsh themes in it handled in a more harsh way (alcoholism, capitalism, depression, etc)

they are very different games in tone and i prefer HM but stardew is good too

This playthrough I decided Penny would be who I would marry and her life is just :smith:

She lives in a one bedroom trailer with her alcoholic mother who apparently just recently got reemployed (based on her comment "now that mom has a job again I can start saving some money"). Her dad left when she was young because "he didn't want to be tied down". And her job is to be the unpayed teacher of the valley.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Leah/Abigail 4 lyfe

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
SV is kind of the game that focuses the most on plain mechanics. It’s the ultimate chill grind. There isn’t much charm or interesting characters outside some stock characters that exist I guess.

Which if fine having a game that focuses on the grind has an obvious market and the other farm likes don’t really do that

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a great game to chill out and relax with. Don't forget you can dress up your Pokemon buddy too :allears:.

Those little elements are great but I am having a hard time liking it when I don’t even need to change Pokémon to advance. Besides Pokemon Go this is my first title so maybe the next game coming out is a better choice for getting into the series, this one was designed for nostalgia, perhaps.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I freaked out about Stardew Valley at first to the point that I just stopped playing it entirely because I was worried about playing it wrong. Then someone said to not do that and just play the drat game. So I started a new save and stopped caring. I planted whatever I needed to make money to buy things I needed. Making the farm too big meant I was spending half the day just watering plants and was unable to do anything else. The first sprinklers are useless because they only water four squares around them. I don't even know what to do with them. The first sprinklers should water the 8 surrounding squares and the next ones should go out a bit more. But I kept my farm small, spent the morning watering things, and then spent the rest of the day foraging, interacting with people, and exploring the mines.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
SV is secretly actually a fairly MEH Harvest Moon clone, but it's also one that was on the PC and even meh clones are still fairly chill experiences.

Every element in it is pretty much okay but the fact it both happened and was widely successful means hopefully other people go "oooh" like the various Terraria clones.

just

hopefully actually good and successful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Probably unless Natsume somehow owns the name “Friends of Mineral Town” too.

I believe Xseed, the people publishing the game in the west is still calling it Friends Of Mineral Town

Also Rune Factory is the true evolution of Harvest Moon when you use the fantasy stone on it. the was was a future stone but no one talks about that HM game.