Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/01/737798440/oregon-legislature-votes-to-essentially-ban-single-family-zoning?t=1562058313937

quote:

Oregon is on its way to making a significant change in what housing is allowed to be built in the state.

The state's House and Senate have now both passed a measure that requires cities with more than 10,000 people to allow duplexes in areas zoned for single-family homes. In the Portland metro area it goes a step further, requiring cities and counties to allow the building of housing such as quadplexes and "cottage clusters" of homes around a common yard.
Steve Messinetti, CEO of the Portland-area chapter of Habitat for Humanity, said his organization builds mostly where duplexes and triplexes are legal. It's the only way to make the numbers work to build housing affordable to people who whose income is $30,000 or $40,000 a year, he said.

"There's a lot of builders out there who want to do good and want to make the sort of houses people need, but you just can't make a 1,000-square-foot home [work] on a $200,000 piece of property," Messinetti told the Sightline Institute, a sustainability organization that also pushed for the bill.

Sounds good, and it doesn't seem to carve out exceptions for high income neighbourhoods, like they tried doing in california.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/01/737798440/oregon-legislature-votes-to-essentially-ban-single-family-zoning?t=1562058313937

Sounds good, and it doesn't seem to carve out exceptions for high income neighbourhoods, like they tried doing in california.

High income neighborhoods are using historic designations (Portland’s Laurelhurst and Eastmoreland specificially - but obviously that has limitations that a lot of rich neighborhoods don’t necessarily have) to sidestep it. I’ve also heard that it doesn’t prevent CCRs and the like. But I do think it’s a good move.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Tax Increment Financing sucks lemons!!!!

Why does the Midwest have such a hard on for it!?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It can be useful in situations but lovely governments like it because it's free money.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Tax Increment Financing sucks lemons!!!!

Why does the Midwest have such a hard on for it!?

gotta make do when raising the millage rate would immediately kill whatever it is you're trying to accomplish

old people are sensitive to property tax increases like some kind of desert-lurking spider and good loving god do they turn out to vote in local elections

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

xrunner posted:

High income neighborhoods are using historic designations (Portland’s Laurelhurst and Eastmoreland specificially - but obviously that has limitations that a lot of rich neighborhoods don’t necessarily have) to sidestep it. I’ve also heard that it doesn’t prevent CCRs and the like. But I do think it’s a good move.

California also has a uniquely lovely law that encourages never selling your house ever for any reason. Even in places where you could in theory build duplexes or even apartment buildings you have people paying the taxes of a $40,000 house on a house that's now going for $2,000,000.

Even then duplex and triplexes are more of a bandaid solution. Probably the biggest thing is we need to get rid of this idea that everybody has to have their own yard or that living in apartment building is somehow wrong. Having the big house, the big yard, and the no roommates as the thing to aspire to is insane.

I spam Kate Wagner sometimes but, well, she knows her poo poo and knows all the reasons why American house attitudes are awful at the moment.

https://www.curbed.com/2018/7/11/17536876/great-room-house-size-design-square-footage

It turns out that people who "need" formal entertaining space tend to just kind of never use it, ever. That big, fancy sitting room with all the furniture nobody is allowed to actually sit on exists solely to make anybody who visits feel inferior if they don't also have such things. I already posted her article about lawns but really, this is a person who Gets It and I read every single loving word she writes.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

My relatives think raising kids in an apartment is child abuse because the kids can’t go outside unattended (assuming this is one of those gated condo communities in the suburbs or a building in an urban core) and all the neighbors will hear them screaming and carrying on all the time and will hate us.

I think it was this thread that pointed out that newer buildings tend to not have paper thin walls and this isn’t nearly as much of a problem.

Not having a backyard or a space outside to do whatever the hell I want in private is a big downside though, honestly.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ProperGanderPusher posted:

My relatives think raising kids in an apartment is child abuse because the kids can’t go outside unattended (assuming this is one of those gated condo communities in the suburbs or a building in an urban core) and all the neighbors will hear them screaming and carrying on all the time and will hate us.

I think it was this thread that pointed out that newer buildings tend to not have paper thin walls and this isn’t nearly as much of a problem.

Not having a backyard or a space outside to do whatever the hell I want in private is a big downside though, honestly.

What the gently caress are people doing in their backyards that they don't do in parks?

Is there some, like, backyard orgy trend running throughout suburbia that just nobody talks about?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thanatosian posted:

What the gently caress are people doing in their backyards that they don't do in parks?

Is there some, like, backyard orgy trend running throughout suburbia that just nobody talks about?

Yeah, sorry, I guess your invitation got stuck I'm the mail.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Thanatosian posted:

you generally need a permit or something to throw a party in a park. if you do a lot of outdoor entertaining, lawns make sense. or you can also just sit outside in your underwear getting drunk

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Here in Germany it's common to have small apartment complexes with shared backyards, not great for private things but at least still good for kids. The buildings are also usually less ugly than in the US, they fit better into residential neighborhoods.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

you generally need a permit or something to throw a party in a park. if you do a lot of outdoor entertaining, lawns make sense. or you can also just sit outside in your underwear getting drunk

That depends on the park. There are a lot of parks where if you want to just fire up a grill with five of your best buds and grill some burgers you don't need anything extra special. Big parties you might need to pay a few dollars to get a pavilion but small groups you can just have. In the case of apartment buildings there's usually some kind of communal green space for the building or nearby ones. Rooftop gardens are also becoming increasingly a thing. It varies by location obviously but there are places that even moderately sized groups can just kind of show up at.

And really if you want to be drunk and mostly naked that's what bathing suits and places like beaches or river banks or whatever are for. There are places to do that that aren't your yard. Basically anything you can do with a yard you can do with some kind of shared green space.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah i dont see the merit in trying to explain apartments to people like you're trying to get the concept of electricity across to hunter gatherers but you do you man

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That depends on the park. There are a lot of parks where if you want to just fire up a grill with five of your best buds and grill some burgers you don't need anything extra special. Big parties you might need to pay a few dollars to get a pavilion but small groups you can just have. In the case of apartment buildings there's usually some kind of communal green space for the building or nearby ones. Rooftop gardens are also becoming increasingly a thing. It varies by location obviously but there are places that even moderately sized groups can just kind of show up at.

And really if you want to be drunk and mostly naked that's what bathing suits and places like beaches or river banks or whatever are for. There are places to do that that aren't your yard. Basically anything you can do with a yard you can do with some kind of shared green space.

What if I want to dig a pit to bbq a pig in? Or grow a garden that won’t be picked clean by inconsiderate passerbys? Or I just want to hang out in the sun without being bothered?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
before this turns into another slugging match between suburbs vs. urbs i think it's important to point out there are many upsides to owning private property but also it an increasingly expensive luxury and one which requires an unsustainable commitment to personal vehicle modes of transportation in order to make affordable now that we are passing out of the historic era in which cheap suburbs were a staple of middle class wealth generation

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I grew up in the exurbs with something like a 1 acre lawn that we were forced to mow. It was hell, and I hate lawns now. All the time and energy spent on that useless space.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I grew up in the exurbs with something like a 1 acre lawn that we were forced to mow. It was hell, and I hate lawns now. All the time and energy spent on that useless space.

Hours I'll never loving get back. Yards are the loving worst.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

You can be arrested for letting your kids play in the park unsupervised. Not so in your backyard.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

You can be arrested for letting your kids play in the park unsupervised. Not so in your backyard.

This sounds like a Stranger Danger situation, where something that has happened, like, once or twice is blown up into a national epidemic.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

This sounds like a Stranger Danger situation, where something that has happened, like, once or twice is blown up into a national epidemic.

True, they apparently passed a 2016 law to try to legalize letting your kids walk to the park.

But there have been quite a number of times parents have either been arrested or had CPS force them to never ever let their kid go to the park alone again:

quote:

SILVER SPRING, Md. — Maryland parents accused of child neglect for letting their kids roam around their neighborhood had to retrieve them from the county's Children's Protective Services after police removed the youngsters from a park.

At about 4:55 p.m. ET Sunday, Montgomery County police received a call to check on the welfare of Danielle and Sasha Meitiv's children — Rafi, 10, and Dvora, 6 — at a park here. Officers found the children unattended and brought them to the agency as part of protocol, they said.

Montgomery County police and county Children's Protective Services are jointly investigating the Meitivs of Silver Spring for allowing their children to walk repeatedly around the neighborhood alone. The parents say they know where their children are but are allowing them independence.

Officers picked up the children about two blocks from home, Rafi said, telling them they would drop them off at home. Instead, the two sat in a patrol car for 2½ hours then were taken about 10 miles away to Children's Protective Services offices in Rockville, Md.

Parents tapped for child neglect after kids walk alone

The Meitivs said they had taken the children to the park at around 4 p.m. and told them to be home by 6 p.m. When the children hadn't returned by 6:30, the Meitivs started looking frantically for them.

Social workers did not contact them until after 8 p.m., the couple said. Their children were released to them at 10:30 p.m.

"I can't believe we're going through this again," Danielle Meitiv said. "They've been missing since 6 o'clock. Somebody called 911, the police called CPS, they decided to bring the kids here and they didn't call us."

To take the children home, the Meitivs had to sign a safety plan that prohibits them from leaving their children unattende, they said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/13/parents-investigated-letting-children-walk-alone/25700823/

quote:

For most of the summer, her daughter had stayed there with her, playing on a laptop that Harrell had scrounged up the money to purchase. (McDonald's has free WiFi.) Sadly, the Harrell home was robbed and the laptop stolen, so the girl asked her mother if she could be dropped off at the park to play instead.

Harrell said yes. She gave her daughter a cell phone. The girl went to the park—a place so popular that at any given time there are about 40 kids frolicking—two days in a row. There were swings, a "splash pad," and shade. On her third day at the park, an adult asked the girl where her mother was. At work, the daughter replied. The shocked adult called the cops. Authorities declared the girl "abandoned" and proceeded to arrest the mother.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/07/arrested-for-letting-a-9-year-old-play-at-the-park-alone/374436/

quote:

Just after returning home from a walk around the block with her dog, Marshmallow, an 8-year-old Wilmette girl expected a visit from a playmate. Instead, police officers arrived at the family’s door.

An anonymous caller had contacted police after seeing the girl walking the dog alone, said her mother, Corey Widen. While police never pursued charges, the seemingly common activity launched an Illinois Department of Children and Family Services investigation to see if Widen was neglecting her children, she said.

“For something like this to happen to me, there’s something really wrong,” said Widen, 48, who agreed to let her 8-year-old daughter and 17-year-old son get the Maltese puppy last year as long as everyone took turns walking her. Widen, who asked that her daughter’s name not be used, said the girl’s walk around the block — most of which Widen says she can see out her windows — is the only time her home-schooled daughter is unsupervised. “The funny thing is … I’m a joke with my friends because my kids are around me all the time.”

https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/ct-life-leaving-kids-alone-moms-shamed-20180820-story.html

Since the laws are pretty vague on this its pretty much if someone calls CPS or if the cops want to hassle you.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

True, they apparently passed a 2016 law to try to legalize letting your kids walk to the park.

But there have been quite a number of times parents have either been arrested or had CPS force them to never ever let their kid go to the park alone again:

Since the laws are pretty vague on this its pretty much if someone calls CPS or if the cops want to hassle you.
So far, that "quite a number" seems to be "three."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

So far, that "quite a number" seems to be "three."

presumably any number of articles I post will be met with a similar response. and since we can barely keep track of how many people the cops kill we have dont have exactly have good statistics to work with.

but yes, parents get harassed for letting their kids play in the park. its america of course the cops and busybodies harass people.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Thanatosian posted:

the police definitely harass children for being outside

https://twitter.com/alamanecer/status/1140120776911347712

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This is America, arguing "I need a yard so the cops don't harass me or my children" just leads to people arguing that they need stores, sports arenas, and any other conceivable destination in their homes.

The sun is going to rise, the wind is going to blow, and cops are going to harass people.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Growing up in Ukraine, we would generally have a big courtyard inside each building number (or sometimes block) and all the kids for all the apartments around it would play there, usually with each other. The buildings fit more people than what I generally see here in Boston area (apartments vs. multifamily homes), but they weren't packed anywhere near that tight.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Some parts of London have a similar system (although very different building styles), where the ground floor apartment might have their own (small) garden, but the rest of them use a shared square, sometimes a private one like here:
https://goo.gl/maps/62eneewGQNjNNr5s7

There's a weird thing where people will object to building affordable housing in the same modality as some of the most expensive real estate in the world, as it doesn't meet their expectations of what a home should look like.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Yeah in Sweden you have big four or so storey apartment buildings arranged around a shared central courtyard, or a subdivided courtyard where 5-10 apartments will share a section. And most of the apartments have a balcony if you want to have a more private area to sit in the sun or grow some potted plants. It works pretty well.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I mean in the US it really just comes down to the idea of rented property being a shameful thing and that you won't be fully whole until you buy a detached home with a yard. Kind of like how it's okay that fast food workers pay so shittily and not expected to be jobs that support a person or family: you're a piece of poo poo if you don't move out of that, so you deserve less than what's even necessary.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the culture of ownership is powerful in america, in essence "you can't tell ME what to do with MY LAND"

i think it's very strong here because land, at least a meaningful enough amount of it to where you could be a small farmer, was easily acquired to the point that millions of european immigrants came to america for the specific purpose of getting a farm, which entrenched the mindset that if you don't own land you're not a real grown up adult human being

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I mean in the US it really just comes down to the idea of rented property being a shameful thing and that you won't be fully whole until you buy a detached home with a yard. Kind of like how it's okay that fast food workers pay so shittily and not expected to be jobs that support a person or family: you're a piece of poo poo if you don't move out of that, so you deserve less than what's even necessary.

Well and it is enforced by weak renters’ rights. Landlords can charge extra if you hang a photo on the wall and leave a mark, charge extra for pets, and demand insane quiet hours to make it harder to raise kids.

People feel renters are second class citizens because they are legally treated like th.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
The other nice thing about owning a yard is being able to dig that loving lawn up and replace it with something useful, beautiful or both.

But in all seriousness, I’m not seeing much in the way of condos being developed so it’s either a house or an apartment with no limits to the amount your rent can be raised. I had to eat a 12% increase one year and I know I wasn’t hit the worst.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
all the condo development is in luxury homes, not middle class homes. the free market system for providing housing absolutely sucks for injecting housing into the lower two thirds of the market. this is why poor people are being concentrated in midcentury suburbs these days, because the houses are old enough to be ragged and typically unworthy of renovation but also juuust valuable enough to serve as a bargain rental instead of a teardown

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

luxury handset posted:

all the condo development is in luxury homes, not middle class homes. the free market system for providing housing absolutely sucks for injecting housing into the lower two thirds of the market. this is why poor people are being concentrated in midcentury suburbs these days, because the houses are old enough to be ragged and typically unworthy of renovation but also juuust valuable enough to serve as a bargain rental instead of a teardown

While supply is so low in high demand areas any housing is a "luxury". You'll often see apartments built to legal minimum size and maximum building height which are not affordable to most people. I can't see many western cities lowering minimum sizes to Japanese/HK levels so they really need to start building more housing. The one advantage is that prices being so much higher than construction costs (except when certain city governments do it) means that a competent local authority can finance public housing through market rate sales if they are able to force through planning rule changes or exceptions. Mixed tenure developments are fairly common now in London due to restrictions on local councils ability to take on debt.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

An ex council apartment went for over £1,000,000 in London a few years ago, I'm sure there have been more since then, so it's hard to say that the issue is new flats being to luxurious rather than it just being a case of too high costs per bedroom.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

In the US developers demand a 15%+ profit margin on new housing developments, so even in places like the SF Bay Area you have fully permitted housing ready to build that developers refuse to build until construction wages decline.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

In the US developers demand a 15%+ profit margin on new housing developments, so even in places like the SF Bay Area you have fully permitted housing ready to build that developers refuse to build until construction wages decline.

Do you have a link for that? I'm skeptical that there are permissioned developments in SF which add a significant number of units and aren't profitable. Markets like SF and NYC can support building very expensive skyscrapers so it seems weird that an ordinary development wouldn't make money.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

These are higher margins than Boeing and other aerospace/defense companies, what the gently caress.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Eh, for the bay area you have to figure in long planning times, and the uncertainty because of unwritten rules and neighbors throwing a fit ("when we zoned this area for tall buildings, we didn't realize they might cast a shadow!!!"). If you increase the risk duh of course businesses need higher margins to justify the cost.

Which is why we need both streamlined permitting and lots of public housing.

edit: oh wait thought you were asserting that for just the bay

Cicero fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 6, 2019

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
"Luxury" is a marketing term in housing development. It's about as meaningful as "artisanal" in food.

The development of new "luxury" housing pushes prices down in other housing sectors, as the yuppies go for the new stuff and those who aren't well-off can afford to rent or buy the older housing stock. If not enough new housing is being built for requirements, yuppie types renovate older housing stock, pushing out the local residents (gentrification.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

Do you have a link for that? I'm skeptical that there are permissioned developments in SF which add a significant number of units and aren't profitable. Markets like SF and NYC can support building very expensive skyscrapers so it seems weird that an ordinary development wouldn't make money.

Construction costs are insanely high because construction labor is high cost because you have to live 3+ hours away if you do construction.

For context SJ is actually the bigger SF bay city than SF:

quote:

Construction expenses have pressured developers severely enough that new market-rate apartments are profitable in no more than two districts in San Jose, according to a new report presented to city officials Tuesday.

Even worse, downtown San Jose — seen as a cornerstone of the city’s economy — is one of the sections where development of new housing is unlikely to produce profits for developers, a report from real estate consultancy Keyser Marston Associates determined.

“The housing market currently faces challenges due to high development costs and the inability to project future rent growth to offset rising costs,” Keyser Marston stated in the report. Experts also blame more expensive materials and labor costs for the construction woes.

Just one section of San Jose fit the criteria to be able to produce enough of a profit — at least 10 percent — to justify the risks involved in a major residential development, according to Keyser Marston.

“The only apartment prototype to demonstrate an estimated profit that exceeds the targeted profit threshold is in the West Valley” of San Jose, an area that includes the Stevens Creek Boulevard district, the consultants reported to the council.

The average profit margin in western San Jose was deemed to be $108,000 per apartment unit, or a profit margin of 19 percent of the development costs, the report found. These were based on development of mid-rise apartments reaching as many as seven stories, with parking below the housing units.

Want to find more housing coverage and connect with our journalists?
Click here to join our new Facebook group

A relatively puny profit was found to be possible on West San Carlos Avenue, west of the downtown, or on North First Street, north of the downtown. That modest amount was $17,000 per apartment unit, or 3 percent of the development cost. However, a 3 percent profit wasn’t deemed high enough to justify the risk of construction. In this scenario, the developments were projected to be up to seven stories, with the parking below the residences.

But downtown San Jose apartment towers? No profit. North San Jose mid-rise apartments? No profit. Low-rise apartments in east San Jose and south San Jose? No profit. The locations also might put a damper on plans for transit villages in some instances due to the location.

(https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/01/construction-costs-could-limit-where-san-jose-homes-are-built-google-adobe-diridon/)

Even habitat for humanity is having trouble with the costs:

quote:

The group, Habitat for Humanity, says it can’t raise money fast enough to cover the gap between what very low-income residents can pay and the actual costs of providing homes, even with the help of legions of volunteers.

That scenario is playing itself out right now in Fremont, where Habitat for Humanity is selling 19 of 30 planned condos to families whose income is 40 to 115 percent higher than that of the buyers originally targeted.

Janice Jensen, president and CEO of Habitat for Humanity East Bay/Silicon Valley, said costs for everything from raw materials such as wood and drywall, to labor and real estate have soared over the past five years. Materials alone jumped almost 5 percent from December 2016 to December 2017, the fastest rate in six years, according to the Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc.

“If you look broadly at affordable housing, it’s never been more expensive than it is right now to build,” Jensen said.

When first envisioned, half of the condos in Habitat’s Central Commons project were supposed to be sold to very low-income families and half to low-income families. But Habitat had to raise the price of the homes twice in the past couple of years to cover the additional $3.54 million the project was costing, effectively excluding very low-income families from a shot at the homes. Those families earn up to half of the median income for the area, or $58,100 for a family of four.

(https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/01/02/even-habitat-for-humanity-cant-build-homes-cheaply-enough-for-lower-income-buyers/)