Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I’ve always enjoyed Matt. Perrin was cool til he actively avoided his super wolf powers. So pretty early on.

Yeah, very early on. Perrin was a black hole of plot from like book 3 through 11 or 12 or whenever he finally comes to terms with poo poo and stops being a whiny bitch about everything. After that, though, he gets a lot better. Generally speaking, it's amazing how much better the characters get once Sanderson enters the picture. That's not even his strength, but Jordan had created good characters that he was never able to animate well, and Sanderson seemed to benefit from having an established and well-outlined cast of characters to play with.

Matt is always awesome, on the other hand.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Matt being the "funny guy" is a prime example of failing to show, not tell. :confused:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Did you all listen to the audiobooks? I'm just curious, since it's Mat, short for Matrim, not Matt.

Agree with the Mat love anyway, he started out strong once we finally got some POV chapters from him (in book 3 I think?), and was awesome ever since book 4. He takes a slight dip when Sanderson takes over, but finishes very strong.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I’ve been on the audiobooks since book 4.
Trying to type out some is the words is hilarious.

Tellirunrhiod
Jihito
Gaishine
Beergitta
Hidar Shiron
Faille
Tuathawaun
Dumaise Wells
Tardad Aiel
Farderise Mai
Rheudion

I assume all of these are hilariously wrong and I’m terrified of reading the WoT wiki due to spoilers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Some of these are a bit stupid, even if written "correctly".

Tel'aran'rhiod
ji'e'toh (This is somewhat okay. If you do something really cool in the Aiel honor code, you gain ji (honor), while if you violate the honor code, you gain toh (debt/shame/obligation))
gai'shain
Birgitte
Shaidar Haran? (super-Myrddraal)
Faile
Tuatha'an
Dumai's Wells
Taardad Aiel
Far Dareis Mai
Rhuidean? (city in the Waste)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I flip flop between reading and the audiobooks. But lately my phone is having problems so I've switched almost entirely to the audiobooks and I forgot if it was 1 T or 2 :)

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Deep into Winter's Heart (book 9) right now and I'm definitely feeling all of the "Aes Sedai specific chapters suck, Mat chapters are good" vibes at this point. But I'm also feeling pretty good about my progress through the slump-y tomes - another book & change til the better stuff shows up.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Avalerion posted:

Matt being the "funny guy" is a prime example of failing to show, not tell. :confused:

My trouble with Mat being the “funny guy” was that nothing he did was funny. Everyone always just treated him as though he were.

Complaining about being forced to do things and swearing is not the same thing as being funny.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Complaining about being forced to do things and swearing is not the same thing as being funny.

That was pretty much my issue with him all along, but he's had some funny parts with Talmanas. And then he's just been subject to some cool stuff between Cinderstap and The Tower of Ganja. He's definitely grown on me since he ceased just being, "all I want to do is run away, dice and kiss girls"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sab669 posted:

That was pretty much my issue with him all along, but he's had some funny parts with Talmanas. And then he's just been subject to some cool stuff between Cinderstap and The Tower of Ganja. He's definitely grown on me since he ceased just being, "all I want to do is run away, dice and kiss girls"

Yeah, as soon as Sanderson started writing some Mat/Talmanes scenes he became hilarious. All like “Wait are you making fun of me?” “Oh I wouldn’t dream of it sir”. God I was waiting for that for like five million pages

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Mat was part of the reason why I gave up on Wheel of Time early on, because I could not stand him in any way shape or form.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Kchama posted:

Mat was part of the reason why I gave up on Wheel of Time early on, because I could not stand him in any way shape or form.

Once you get over the god-awful initial portrayal halfway through The Dragon Reborn, and let him get his second powerset under his belt, Mat dramatically improves.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I mean, I'm on Book 13 and he's really only just starting to come around for me in the last book or maybe two.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I like how everyone says Mat the lazy irresponsible one and Perrin is the thoughtful responsible one.

Then anytime the chance for Mat to run away and abandon friends, allies, or strangers comes up, he jumps into the thick of things and risks his life.

The second Perrin is given responsibility he risks the lives of everyone he meets and the universe itself.

I don't know if it was intentional, but I enjoyed that.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
In the book Siuan says Mat reminds of her of her uncle who was a gambler and n’er do well who died pulling children out of a burning building. So its probably intentional.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mat is the kind of friend that you'd trust with your life, but not with your wallet.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Yeah like, y’all crazy. Mat and Perrin never stop owning. The thing is most people disproportionately weigh their internal POV when they think of that character.

Rand is actually completely scarily insane.

Perrin gripes about having his wolf powers but the problem is actually how he integrates his use of them with his human side—he doesn’t get that his senses are always true, and that no matter what he says, when the chips are down he goes to the wolf first instinctively.

And yeah Mat.

It’s the constant interplay of dramatic irony that makes the story so good.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

RC Cola posted:

I like how everyone says Mat the lazy irresponsible one and Perrin is the thoughtful responsible one.

Then anytime the chance for Mat to run away and abandon friends, allies, or strangers comes up, he jumps into the thick of things and risks his life.

The second Perrin is given responsibility he risks the lives of everyone he meets and the universe itself.

I don't know if it was intentional, but I enjoyed that.

It's been a long while since I've read them, but IIRC mat was the one saying that like 90% of the time, usually just before or after he did something very difficult very well. The other 10% are people who knew him when he was a lovely kid.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Mat? He's a playful prankster who shirks his responsibilities! There's no possible way that travel, experience, hardship, tons of magic, nearly dying multiple times, confronting ancient evil, and unlocking multiple super powers could change him! Plus he knows how to talk to girls, I could never figure that one out. :rolleyes:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WoT Book 11

Wow, so Elayne has someone taste her piss every day to tell the health of her babies. That sure is something.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
It's a historically accurate detail, you can diagnose a lot of illnesses that way.

It's also completely unnecessary in a completely different world with literal magic

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Gestational diabetes is a real threat, also their knowledge of Healing had atrophied greatly. I appreciate any bit of weird world building that remind you you arent in the normal world with funny names.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Yeah pee tasting has been a real thing in the medical world for a long time. Elayne's story in the late-middle books is one of my least favorite, but the multicultural prenatal care was probably a high point. It's too bad RJs treatment of matriarchs colliding is so insufferable because there's some good opportunities in that plot line for cool characterizations that just don't happen.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ha, the battle at the end of book 11 was the most wet fart battle ever.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Twelve is much better, IMO.

Only a few chapters in 14, but I'm enjoying it.

I was at the book store looking for a physical copy this weekend, which they didn't have, so I impulse bought The Shadow of What Was Lost instead. I had never heard of it, but the author's website says he's heavily inspired by Jordan and Sanderson (and Rothfuss) so that caught my eye. Have any of you goons read it?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sab669 posted:

I was at the book store looking for a physical copy this weekend, which they didn't have, so I impulse bought The Shadow of What Was Lost instead. I had never heard of it, but the author's website says he's heavily inspired by Jordan and Sanderson (and Rothfuss) so that caught my eye. Have any of you goons read it?

I quite liked the first two books, too bad that the third book isn't out yet. It's planned to be released this December.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sab669 posted:

I read the first book within the past year, but for the life of me I could not tell you anything about the plot, characters, or how the magic works.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Khizan posted:

Mat is the kind of friend that you'd trust with your life, but not with your wallet.

Are you kidding? I'd give that man my life's savings as seed money for a night in Tar Vegas, I'd be set.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Arrath posted:

Are you kidding? I'd give that man my life's savings as seed money for a night in Tar Vegas, I'd be set.

"Okay, bad news is I no longer have your money.

...good news is you now own Tar Vegas. Like, all of it."

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Democratic Pirate posted:

I read the first book within the past year, but for the life of me I could not tell you anything about the plot, characters, or how the magic works.

Jesus, I apparently own the first two books in that series (The Shadow of What Was Lost), and I couldn't do that either.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Sab669 posted:

It not the worst but it incorporates the worst of all sorts of fantasy tropes, characters that are thousands of years old that act like/date teenagers, stupid time travel loop plots, female characters that mainly exist lust after a main boy characters.

The thing that annoys me the most is the stupid use of the powers, so there magic characters that are even more magic then the regular magic users in the book, they have the dreams that see the future through their own eyes, a recurring problem with the future dreams is they don't know the date/time when the things happen. My main nitpick is that if you have spent your entire life having dreams of your own future and major events that took place during it, why would you not look a calendar or something every once in a while just so your past self will have an idea of when these things happen.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Brandon recorded a video of him reading a part of Stormlight 4 here:

https://www.tor.com/2019/07/20/sdcc-brandon-sanderson-stormlight-archive-4-excerpt/

It's from Venli's perspective. He also confirmed again that he's shooting for a 2020 release date.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Some pretty big news: http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2019/08/j-michael-straczynski-and-brandon.html?m=1

quote:

In very interesting news, SF TV writing legend J. Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5, Sense8) is working on a new urban fantasy project with bestselling fantasy author Brandon Sanderson (Mistborn, The Stormlight Archive).

A pilot for the prospective series is being written for the USA Network, with Straczynski promising to "turn the tropes of the genre on its head." Not much more information is available than that, but arguably the best SF TV scriptwriter in the business and one of fantasy's best worldbuilders joining forces is exciting news.

Straczynski, whose autobiography Becoming Superman is earning rave reviews this month, is also working on a novel for HarperCollins Voyager, whilst Sanderson is hard at work on his fourth Stormlight Archive novel.

Updated with Comments from Brandon Sanderson:

"Hey, sorry I've been slow to reply to this thread. This is Dark One, the story I've talked about for years--and which I think I finally cracked open how to do a few summers ago. I wrote what I think is a pretty solid outline, but it was obvious to me it was paced more like a television show than a novel, so I went hunting some partners.

Basic premise is that a guy from our world finds out that a fantasy world has prophesied he'll become the next Dark One of their world, so they decide to assassinate him before that can happen. It's been fun to work with Joe; he's quite the character. We did pitches for this early in the spring, and got some good reactions and some nibbles from Hollywood. That's about all I can say right now, unfortunately, but hopefully Joe will be writing up a pilot soon and we can see where that takes us."
I really liked the idea behind Dark One, so I'm stoked to hear it might be coming in TV form.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Two delicious flavors that go great together?! Can't wait.

Unrelated: finally made it to Knife of Dreams, aka the last Jordan-authored WoT volume. Been quite a slog, even tho I now only skim the Aes Sedai-heavy chapters. Mat's stuff is more fun, though I'm unconvinced by some recent developments with his attitude towards T u o n - and I mean that on top of Jordan's overall weak interpersonal relationship writing.

Speaking of weak writing, boy howdy, did y'all know that women have breasts, because I'm reminded of this fact literally twice a page at this point. Did ol' Robert die of horny in the end?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*crosses my arms beneath my breasts*

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Data Graham posted:

*crosses my arms beneath my breasts*
Honestly it's not even that (I file that one under the same category of lazy characterization as skirt-smoothing and braid-tugging), it's the overly frequent updates about how much bosom these ladies are showing, whether their dresses are low-cut or VERY low-cut, if they're wearing necklaces to cover things up a bit or not, PS did you know character X or Y has got some fine tittays (which seems to be about 90% of all named female characters...), wow this Aiel lady who has discovered the joys of wanton wetlanderism is really lettin' it all hang out - again! - ad infinitum.

Also, BTW, P.S., I almost forgot to mention: boobs.

He's never been great at writing from a woman's perspective, and this is part of it too - even when the chapter viewpoint is a woman she's got male gaze aplenty.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cicero posted:

Some pretty big news: http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2019/08/j-michael-straczynski-and-brandon.html?m=1

I really liked the idea behind Dark One, so I'm stoked to hear it might be coming in TV form.

I like Sanderson but this just sounds like Yet Another Goddamn Isekai Anime TV Show.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it sounds like an inverse isekai, where things keep coming into our world to kill this nerd

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Both creative minds named have extensive and positive backgrounds, so I think I can have some faith in the plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Cicero posted:

Serious question: Did people actually like Sense8? I tried to watch it when everyone was fawing over it and was totally baffled. I thought it was really, really bad. Lazy characters, terrible conflict, and an interesting premise ruined by everyone just being 100% horny all the time. I say that not as a prudish thing, because sex and attraction are an important part of any character, but it was basically the primary defining characteristic of every single character which was just awful.

I never watched B5 though I've heard great things, but hearing that the creator of Sense8 is doing something with Sanderson's work does not fill me with confidence. Also I find it ironic that Sanderson wanted to work with him considering his prudish tendencies.