Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

HalloKitty posted:

If they're new tests, it could be because of fixes and updates to Windows' scheduler.

Yeah its important to note that it's probably going to take a little while for this all to actually shake out. Remember the hell that was early Skylake-S days when Intel made massive changes to their scheduler? Some of this stuff comes down to optimization in the wild.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still buying a new Ryzen rig next week still, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

ilkhan posted:

So if you want good speeds, good timings, 32gb (2x16 because mITX) and preferably RGB because it looks cool even if it'll be turned off most of the time... What's the path forward? I don't mind an OC if it's gonna be reliable.

gilljoy posted:

What CAS 16 ram would you recommend getting for a 3700x?

Based in uk
No one really knows for sure yet guys.

All we have is speculation based on how current Zen/+'s IMC performs with certain RAM.

What little we do know suggests that AMD improved the memory controller a whole lot though based on what they've said so the exact type of RAM might be less important than how you tune it.

1usmus is the guy to watch for information there. Info is supposed to drop 7/7 so sometime this Sunday.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Do we know at what time the reviews will start popping up? I gotta do some shopping, and I'm gonna need to know what's what.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
I'm ready to be disappointed by AMD "Gamecache" again.

Will buy a 3700x regardless.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Seamonster posted:

Apart from IO and memory bandwidth, RIP most threadrippers (ouch).
RIP in what way? Lisa Su already announced that there's going to be new ones. So that angle is covered.

Anything else, there's going to be way more cores, and maybe/hopefully a 16C comedy configuration, with four dies that have full L3 cache, but only four cores per.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Otakufag posted:

I'm ready to be disappointed by AMD "Gamecache" again.

Will buy a 3700x regardless.

The gamecache is primarily there to make up for AMD chip deficiencies likely...but yea, 8 cores babeh.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Crunchy Black posted:

Yeah its important to note that it's probably going to take a little while for this all to actually shake out. Remember the hell that was early Skylake-S days when Intel made massive changes to their scheduler? Some of this stuff comes down to optimization in the wild.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still buying a new Ryzen rig next week still, though.

I’m keeping an eye out for kernel patches for Zen 2 (if they haven’t been pushed already) because I’m building a build server / dev box at work with a 3900X. Stocked up on every part now I think except mobo, CPU and case. Not a chance the stock CentOS 7 kernel will be optimized out of the box.

DDR4 is so goddamned cheap, it’s ridiculous. I picked up some DDR4-3600 sticks for now.

The last AMD rig I built was 10 years ago; how are the stock coolers or should I just get another Thermalright Ultra120 with stupid expensive adapter brackets, or a Hyper212 EVO? Planning on little to mild overclocking.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

movax posted:

The last AMD rig I built was 10 years ago; how are the stock coolers or should I just get another Thermalright Ultra120 with stupid expensive adapter brackets, or a Hyper212 EVO? Planning on little to mild overclocking.
The stock coolers are pretty decent and you can sell them for $30+ if you don't end up using them. I don't know who is buying them, but they do actually sell.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Combat Pretzel posted:

RIP in what way? Lisa Su already announced that there's going to be new ones. So that angle is covered.

Anything else, there's going to be way more cores, and maybe/hopefully a 16C comedy configuration, with four dies that have full L3 cache, but only four cores per.

I meant existing threadrippers. Extrapolating from this, 7nm TR will be utterly savage beasts. And probably expensive as hell too.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
They'll be fine. If you're really using those cores you want quad-channel memory to go with it.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I did a silly and pulled the trigger on 2 kits of Patriot Viper RGB 4133 RAM. :toot:

Patriot is a company that I don't really hear much about but my Ivy Bridge system had an 1866Mhz 16G Viper kit and never skipped a beat. Also this is my first RGB RAM since my 4400+ X2 processor.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Quoting this because you might not want your RAM running that fast, it may actually be slower.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What does RAM speed do anyways? In a gaming scenario, the speed & timings translate to your minimum FPS floor right?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

buglord posted:

What does RAM speed do anyways? In a gaming scenario, the speed & timings translate to your minimum FPS floor right?
Speed and Timings combined result in latency for access. Games care a lot about this. Speed and CAS latency in particular matter a lot here.

Speed is generally throughput.

Timings can impact performance in tons of ways, but at the same time the subtimings are usually kind of minor compared to speed and CL.

1usmus' ram overclocking guide for zen+ has some decent charts. It also has way more information than most people want if you read it from the start. It lacks micron rev.e sticks, but his new guide comes out tomorrow for zen2 with rev.e.

For zen/zen2 architectures, memory speed is relied on by infinity fabric. So running at lower speeds really hinders performance compared to Intel's architecture.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 6, 2019

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Micron/Crucial Ballistix E-die comes cheaply at 3200MHz JEDEC, and can apparently be easily OC'd to 3600 with tight timings, although manually.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Sorry I'm a noob with all this ram nonsense, what's better: 3200 cl16 or 3600 cl17?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Otakufag posted:

Sorry I'm a noob with all this ram nonsense, what's better: 3200 cl16 or 3600 cl17?
3600 CL17: even though the latency number is higher it's represented in clock ticks so it has a lower absolute latency.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Otakufag posted:

The latter. Ignore the dumbass anime background but whatever values give the _lowest_ latency here are better, usually: https://notkyon.moe/ram-latency.htm

3200MT/s cl16 = 10ns, 3600MT/s cl 17 = 9.4ns

Llamadeus posted:

3600 CL17: even though the latency number is higher it's represented in clock ticks so it has a lower absolute latency.

Yep, though DDR clocks at half the transfer number since it transfers twice per clock cycle (hence the "double" data rate).

That said some applications favor bandwidth, some latency, some need both.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Otakufag posted:

3600 C17 by a bit.

3200 C16 is ~10ns
3600 C17 is ~9.45ns

The formula to compare yourself: CL*2000/speed. If you're lazy you can do speed/cl to compare and higher is better.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 6, 2019

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
efb

I will add that modern games on modern systems tend to prefer bandwidth over latency anyway.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

There's a sale going on and I don't know when it will finish for G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz DDR4 Desktop Memory Kit (cl18) for a scant $178 dollarydoos, which is basically the cheapest 3600 memory in the country (the cl16 of same is $299), is it worth it to be 10ns instead of 8.888ns?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

There's a sale going on and I don't know when it will finish for G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz DDR4 Desktop Memory Kit (cl18) for a scant $178 dollarydoos, which is basically the cheapest 3600 memory in the country (the cl16 of same is $299), is it worth it to be 10ns instead of 8.888ns?

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232306

Switch the seller to Newegg and it's for sale for $164.99 on backorder. If you don't mind waiting.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Zotix posted:

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232306

Switch the seller to Newegg and it's for sale for $164.99 on backorder. If you don't mind waiting.

I'm in Australia, that kit is listed as unavailable for here. The one I listed above is $208 dollarydoos on newegg Australia.

The absolute cheapest on newegg Australia is CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3600 cl18 for $150 dollarydoos

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 7, 2019

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

12 hours. Can't believe the wait is nearly over.

Bought 3D Mark on Steam today to shame my 2500k one last time and have a base level for the incoming bigger numbers.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 7, 2019

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I still have no idea what CPU I actually want to pull the trigger on. I don't know what time to start looking online for them. I'm also concerned that the stock will be limited.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I know what CPU I want but I'm not sure if I should go for a fully featured b450 or cheapish x570.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Zotix posted:

I still have no idea what CPU I actually want to pull the trigger on. I don't know what time to start looking online for them. I'm also concerned that the stock will be limited.
3900x and maybe 3800x will potentially have limited stock. 3600, 3600x, and 3700x should have loads of stock and be what most people buy.

I'm going to be at microcenter when they open personally. I'm making my x570 motherboard list now.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Meanwhile I ended up realizing that I could just get a bunch of Raspberry Pi's 4 for my purposes. A grand can buy a lot of 4gb 4's.

However I'm still looking forward to AMD making GBS threads on Intel for doing absolutely nothing for the last several years.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The best thing to do is to wait for a 3990wx and get that. :getin:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

The best thing to do is to wait for a 3990wx and get that. :getin:

i need 64 cores.......in me right now.......

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Khorne posted:

3900x and maybe 3800x will potentially have limited stock. 3600, 3600x, and 3700x should have loads of stock and be what most people buy.

I'm going to be at microcenter when they open personally. I'm making my x570 motherboard list now.

When you throw that list together, you mind sharing it?

There doesn't seem to be many leaks on the 3800x and it seems like you kind of either want to go 3700x or 3900x from some of the videos I've watched. What pro's does the 3800x have aside from waiting for benchmarks?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

In Seattle area, every store I've called and asked have said "We haven't gotten any for Sunday and have no scheduled deliveries until the 12."

Online it is!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

In Seattle area, every store I've called and asked have said "We haven't gotten any for Sunday and have no scheduled deliveries until the 12."

Online it is!

I'm trying to think of what brick and mortar computer stores still exist in the Seattle area anymore besides Fry's. Even Fry's is just a shell of its former self.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Zotix posted:

When you throw that list together, you mind sharing it?
It's not as thorough as I'd like for making a post. I didn't pay attention to whether they have wifi/bluetooth stuff or not because it doesn't impact my decision. I also didn't pay attention to audio because it's all the same quality provided there's no interference. That and I have a DAC due to having XLR microphones. I am also basing this on 3900x, possibly buying a top end zen3 processor next year, and it sticking around as a workstation/homeserver for 5+ years.

Depending on price, and price will be a huge factor here where cheaper is better, these are my candidates:

Asus Strix x570-E gaming - main difference is E has 2x nics (1gbe, 2.5gbe) and wifi while f has no wifi
Asus Strix x570-F gaming - e&f both have 8x sata
Asus Crosshair except Impact because it's small form factor

ASrock Phantom Gaming X
ASrock Taichi - only confirmed t-topology on this list, it's mildly a mark against it for me, might cost too much for me
ASrock Creation - I bet it costs too much, pretty sure it has no audio but that's fine by me, possibly a t-topology board due to the market segment
ASrock Steel Legend - Need to see reviews. Supposedly has 4 real phases 8+ marketing phases on VRM and I am going with a 3900x so it might be a nonstarter. Should be affordable. Probably won't buy, but pending reviews and depending on processor you're buying it's probably pretty decent feature wise and low on cost.

MSI Ace - Probably costs too much, only board here with 4 SATA ports. Not a negative. Pretty good board but I suspect it will be $350+ and I'm shooting for low-mid $200s maybe high $200s if one of the boards I am saying "probably costs too much" falls into it.
MSI MPG x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi - Great but probably costs the same as Ace. I won't personally buy, but it seems great.
MSI x570 Gaming Plus - realtek nic, 6 sata, price:feature leader

Gigabyte Aorus Elite - no usb 3.1 c port!
Gigabyte Aorus Pro
Gigabyte Aorus line in general seems pretty solid. Impossible to figure out which is better than the other by name or even remember them by name. In fact, I despise gigabyte just for their naming scheme.

an x470 or b450 board with bios flashback because they're guaranteed to cheaper. I'm only really considering x570 because I'd like the "extra" pcie3 lanes x570 offers. I don't see pcie4 itself as a selling point at this time.

One drawback to b450/x470 right now is you might not be able to get zen2 working well on it for a week or more. MSI in particular seems to be having lots of issues migrating to a zen2 compatible bios. They've gutted a lot of their interface, and the last estimate I heard is "near the end of the week".

I never liked Asus' previous gen AM4 motherboards. Their motherboards are great quality but usually overpriced and have strange feature decisions that irk me. For x570 they seem to have killed it, and even their pricing seems like it will be competitive. ASrock ticks my boxes and will hopefully have competitive prices. It's a shame there isn't more information about ASRock's lineup.

A lot of MSI's lineup I don't want due to a realtek nic and the 6x SATA port choice. A decent number of the boards I listed are 6x sata port, it wasn't a criteria I eliminated boards based on, but the chipset supports 4 or 8 so 6 annoys me as someone who could use more than 6 ports. None listed are realtek nic. They're stable these days, but Intel tends to perform better when saturated. Which won't matter at all to most people. For me, if I am buying a $200+ motherboard, it's going to have the best possible stuff for my needs and the price. Weird cost cutting stuff on a premium product that most people won't notice bugs me. Most of MSI's boards should be a solid choice despite not being on my personal list.

I'm highly suspicious of the chipset fan. I'm real worried about noise because I like a pc that's fairly quiet. I might even wait on reviews to see which vendors let it turn off and which want it on all the time.

If anyone thinks one of these choices is bad feel free to point out the negatives. I may have missed a board or five as well. Especially in the Aorus line. I'm pretty sure I'll end up with the Asus Strix x570-F because I suspect it will win out on price against most of these. If it doesn't win out on price, I'm going to be standing there like an idiot.

My advice to most people would probably be b450/x470. That's even my advice to myself.

edit: MSI x570 prices leaked. I'm considering just getting the MSI x570 Gaming Plus (has usb 3.1c), it should retail $169.99 with $30 off at microcenter it comes in at $139.99 and that's pretty alright by me. That's realtek nic price range.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 7, 2019

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

i need 64 cores.......in me right now.......

You and me both pal. I already max out 64T on a regular basis.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So like if I went with a x470, don't I need an old gen ryzen to flash it?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

NTRabbit posted:

The absolute cheapest on newegg Australia is CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3600 cl18 for $150 dollarydoos
MSY was selling some Adata XPG Spectrix D80 3600 that was only listed in their clearance PDF files for certain stores for $183. I tried to get the last 2 kits but someone else snagged it. So I got my RAM off Newegg.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Zotix posted:

So like if I went with a x470, don't I need an old gen ryzen to flash it?
Certain motherboards, mostly a $270 Asus board and a whole lot of MSI B450/x470 motherboards in the $90+ price range, support bios flashback. It allows you to flash the bios with a usb thumb drive and no cpu.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 7, 2019

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Khorne posted:

Certain motherboards, mostly a $270 Asus board and a whole lot of B450/x470 motherboards in the $90+ price range, support bios flashback. It allows you to flash the bios with a usb thumb drive and no cpu.

So do I just DL the BIOS update on the USB drive and plug it in, and basically select some option in the BIOS to update it, and I'm good to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIA9-2UDKHs

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 7, 2019