Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I really want that ultimate collectors edition on PC, I’d buy it in a heartbeat. However, since I plan to get a switch this year I might buy the collectors edition anyway. It looks swag as gently caress and I desire it deeply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Randallteal posted:

BG isn't really made for it, but I think a semi-idle game where you manage a party of adventurers and watch them tackle dungeons (with speed up, obv.) sounds pretty cool. There are a couple games like that on phones, actually, but none with the mechanical complexity of an infinity engine game.

That's basically Dungeon Siege 1. You just have to click to move the party and pick up loot.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just completed my trilogy playthrough (Including Seige of Dragonspear but ignoring ToSC). 53 hours playing through BG1, 83 hours in BG2.

I've picked up and played through 9/10ths of this series probably around 20 times in my life, but either due to time constraints or lack of attention paid to the mechanics I've never actually beaten the game. The closest I got was CTRL + Y'ing my way through ToB as a kid because I had built my character hilariously badly and was upset that I couldn't progress (Party was getting gibbed by lone fire giants, let alone anything else). gently caress, I love this series so much. What a blast from beginning to end, the Enhanced Edition made even BG1 enjoyable for the most part and I really don't like it all that much to begin with. I started with 2 back in the day and the writing and tone is just so weak in the first game, though I've made my opinions known earlier in the thread so I won't reiterate.

End party was the "canon" party for me, as in it was the team I ran pretty much every time I played:

Me, Human Sorcerer
Aerie (Waifu)
Jaheria
Minsc
Imoen
Jan

Me and Minsc basically carried the entire game halfway through BG2 and onwards, unsurprisingly. Ye Olde Tactics of Timestop/Alacrity/Wilting and Whirlwind butchered everything but I did get choked at Melissan until I kicked myself into removing spell protections again. Didn't use any of the new party members or engage with their stuff, Rasaad is the only one I liked really but I had to have my party. It's tradition.

I did laugh at the very last bit (Absolute end game spoiler) where the Solar was giving me my options and went from kindly explaining that I can give up my essence and be mortal or that I HAVE AMBITIONS TO TAKE THE POWER AND I DISGUUUUUST HER when I've been incredibly nice throughout the entire game. I think it's because I chose some of the more sarcastic/dismissive answers while RPing as a Chaotic Good who just wanted this destiny poo poo to kindly get out of his face and the game interpreted it as being impatient to get that sweet, sweet deity juice.

I think part of the reason why I didn't mind starting the game over and over without finishing it is that it would mean there was something left to the game to look forward to. Now I've completed the entire series and basically went out of my way to do everything this playthrough (Except for TOSC stuff), I'm desperately sad that this is it for the Bhaalspawn saga for me until I feel like running it again in a few years time. Are any of the mods worth touching that restore content?

In the meantime I bought Icewind Dale: EE since it's pennies on the STEAM sale and I want more Infinity Engine fun. I know it's not supposed to be a proper adventure but man, I just need that fix.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Icewind Dale 2 chat: I’m in hook horror hell. Is there a less cheesy way of getting through this than killing a pack of them, going up to the previous level and rest, then back down again and rinse and repeat? They teleport right into my back line in like packs of 10 or so.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Songbearer posted:

I did laugh at the very last bit (Absolute end game spoiler) where the Solar was giving me my options and went from kindly explaining that I can give up my essence and be mortal or that I HAVE AMBITIONS TO TAKE THE POWER AND I DISGUUUUUST HER when I've been incredibly nice throughout the entire game. I think it's because I chose some of the more sarcastic/dismissive answers while RPing as a Chaotic Good who just wanted this destiny poo poo to kindly get out of his face and the game interpreted it as being impatient to get that sweet, sweet deity juice.

What determines that is your answers to the Solar when she pulls you back to the pocket plane. You have to say goody two shoes stuff to her to get the good deity option.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randallteal posted:

BG isn't really made for it, but I think a semi-idle game where you manage a party of adventurers and watch them tackle dungeons (with speed up, obv.) sounds pretty cool. There are a couple games like that on phones, actually, but none with the mechanical complexity of an infinity engine game.

So D&D autochess?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm an idiot who didn't realise that in IWD I could force conversation with the familiar in order to put him in my backpack like I could in BG2 and I progressed to act 4 just leaving him at the start of the map so he wouldn't get killed, and I just now realised that he died without me noticing, and every single one of my saves except for one in Act 2 has him already dead, and I am not sure I want to go back that far to get my fighter/mage back his one point of constitution.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Chairchucker posted:

I'm an idiot who didn't realise that in IWD I could force conversation with the familiar in order to put him in my backpack like I could in BG2 and I progressed to act 4 just leaving him at the start of the map so he wouldn't get killed, and I just now realised that he died without me noticing, and every single one of my saves except for one in Act 2 has him already dead, and I am not sure I want to go back that far to get my fighter/mage back his one point of constitution.

Just edit your hitpoints with EE Keeper (or the older one if you're not using it) and move on. poo poo happens and now you know.

If you really want to penalize yourself, leave a few hitpoints off as a lesson. Obviously your character would have noticed their familiar was dead and would be more careful from that point onward.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Can you res a familiar via EE Keeper? I'm a man whose never used that software application.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

Can you res a familiar via EE Keeper? I'm a man whose never used that software application.

Never tried. That sounds harder than just adjusting your hitpoints. Finding another conjure familiar scroll may prove challenging though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

rocketrobot posted:

Never tried. That sounds harder than just adjusting your hitpoints. Finding another conjure familiar scroll may prove challenging though.

I wonder if you can just add that spell to your character directly? I'm just theorizing, I've never used the tool, but I'm curious. I'm a curious fellow.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Yes, you can add items your inventory.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Randallteal posted:

The game you are describing is Dungeon Siege. Except it didn't have speed up so... yeah.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Fairly sure there's a flag somewhere that says you've already summoned a familiar once, so you'd want to un-set that I suppose.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
EE Keeper lets you adjust pretty much any number on your character sheet (stats, XP, gold, HP etc), change your known and memorized spells, change your innate spells (the poo poo you get after the first dream sequence in BG1, some other special abilities from different kits) and edit what's in your inventory. There's also a tab that has all the active quest flags but I've never messed around with that, so I'm not sure what you can and cannot do with it.

If you have console cheats enabled you could also just add a "find familiar" scroll that way, and maybe add whichever book bumps constitution assuming they're included in the item list for IWDEE.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

chaosapiant posted:

Icewind Dale 2 chat: I’m in hook horror hell. Is there a less cheesy way of getting through this than killing a pack of them, going up to the previous level and rest, then back down again and rinse and repeat? They teleport right into my back line in like packs of 10 or so.
I've been wracking my brain on how I dealt with that specific thing but its been too long. I know in IWD2 I liked to have my Cleric summon Skelly Bois then have my mage Stoneskin them, then I would use a hiding/invisible rogue to spot/trigger things that would attack the invincible skelly bois, then I would backstab/AoE the hostiles down.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've been wracking my brain on how I dealt with that specific thing but its been too long. I know in IWD2 I liked to have my Cleric summon Skelly Bois then have my mage Stoneskin them, then I would use a hiding/invisible rogue to spot/trigger things that would attack the invincible skelly bois, then I would backstab/AoE the hostiles down.

I actually got through this by just going through every fight by backing my characters into a closed room, taking one out to trigger the Hook's appearing, then handling them 1 or 2 at a time with my backs to a wall and facing them through a doorway. Then I went back to the first level every time to rest because I'm not against cheesing. I also found that my Wizard's Horror spell does wonders for making their numbers manageable. They seem to have such low saving throws against it that reliably more than half of them always run away screaming. I got through that and the Duergar dungeon and moved on to the next area now. Still a superb game though!

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
The spikey druid spells worked well for me on the horrors, you back into a room as above, but just load the hallway up with webs and spikes and other terrible things, slows 'em down a ton and wears 'em down before they get to you.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ratchild13 posted:

The spikey druid spells worked well for me on the horrors, you back into a room as above, but just load the hallway up with webs and spikes and other terrible things, slows 'em down a ton and wears 'em down before they get to you.

I'm using that mod that has pre-built NPCs with personalities, so no druid. I actually regret installing this mod, because they keep interrupting poo poo I want to do with constant fawning over me and navel gazing dialogue. But I'm well into Chapter 3 and am loathe to uninstall the mod and restart. But yea. I've found a couple of Druid items that I wish I had a character to use. Maybe I'll dual the barbarian to a druid for a level or two and see what happens. But I think she's big strong dumb.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Just finished the BG1 TOTSC content for the first time! Played through with an illusionist and the canon party on SCS/Hardcore settings.

The last time I played it years ago I think I gave up on Durlag's Tower during the first basement level, but I made it through this time with more patience and mechanics knowledge. It really is a fantastic dungeon crawl and the mirror knight was a fun fight. (The chess battle less so... but at least they're vulnerable to fire.) Aec'Letec was surprisingly easy once I landed a Blindness on him well, had to land it twice since I didn't know how the fight worked.

I'm glad I did Durlag's before the island adventure because I would have been very stuck without a weapon you get from the tower. The diplomatic resolution in SCS felt pretty satisfying as a reward for doing the sidequests.

Sarevok & Friends were tougher than I remember and I lost the first attempt because I thought I could rush them with potion buffs, but of course they do it too and they can dispel much more effectively. On the second try I stayed in formation and dogpiled Angelo as soon as he came in, then got lucky with a Chaos cast on Sarevok and he basically killed Tazok for me then wandered off into the pillars. That bought enough time to get the rest of the map under control as I kited and whittled down the other guys with a bit of invisibility potion aided aggro trading, then settled into a defensive corner as Sarevok came back. Once he was finally vulnerable, Jaheira opened up with her 26 damage per bullet slingshots and just melted him.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Chairchucker posted:

Well, I decided to go back to Act 2. I'm up to the Yxonumei fight again. :/

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Promethium posted:

Just finished the BG1 TOTSC content for the first time! Played through with an illusionist and the canon party on SCS/Hardcore settings.

The last time I played it years ago I think I gave up on Durlag's Tower during the first basement level, but I made it through this time with more patience and mechanics knowledge. It really is a fantastic dungeon crawl and the mirror knight was a fun fight. (The chess battle less so... but at least they're vulnerable to fire.) Aec'Letec was surprisingly easy once I landed a Blindness on him well, had to land it twice since I didn't know how the fight worked.

I'm glad I did Durlag's before the island adventure because I would have been very stuck without a weapon you get from the tower. The diplomatic resolution in SCS felt pretty satisfying as a reward for doing the sidequests.

Sarevok & Friends were tougher than I remember and I lost the first attempt because I thought I could rush them with potion buffs, but of course they do it too and they can dispel much more effectively. On the second try I stayed in formation and dogpiled Angelo as soon as he came in, then got lucky with a Chaos cast on Sarevok and he basically killed Tazok for me then wandered off into the pillars. That bought enough time to get the rest of the map under control as I kited and whittled down the other guys with a bit of invisibility potion aided aggro trading, then settled into a defensive corner as Sarevok came back. Once he was finally vulnerable, Jaheira opened up with her 26 damage per bullet slingshots and just melted him.

I played Durlag's Tower for the first time a few months ago, having played BG2 and BG1 extensively over the past 15 years.

It really is an outstanding dungeon in terms of design, pacing, and overall theme. I can't think of a single other RPG dungeon that captured that feeling of a dungeon crawl. The Endless Paths of Od Nua in POE was pretty good but it seemed more like a lot of missed potential.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

Well, I decided to go back to Act 2. I'm up to the Yxonumei fight again. :/

Hardest fight in the game, of you've never played before

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Last time I had to eat a character death. (She got better though.) Very much not looking forward to beating my head against that brick wall again.

EDIT: Update. Absolutely mulched her this time. My incredibly cheap tactic of running away and holing up in a deadend somehow worked.

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 6, 2019

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

My cheap tactic against her was to rotate tanks, having my mage and bard alternate casting invisibility to break aggro, while making prodigious use of +2 ranged attacks. First I retreated back into the corridor and dropped grease, web, entangle and ice storm all in the same spot so I had a minute to deal with the flanking yuan-ti mages.

edit: always have everyone hasted after killing the mages since you get hit with multiple dispel magics when they first see you

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 6, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I think I used traps and Skull Traps to deal with the flanking mages then just used the web/cloudkill/grease/ice storm/ect in the doorway and had a great time.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What’s best time to dual a Kensai to thief? 7 or 9?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
7 if you want to reactivate your Kensai levels by the end of BG1, 9 if you want more Fighter HP and an extra +1 THAC0 and damage. Personally I'd go for the former.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

chaosapiant posted:

I prefer the latter for the extra weapons pip and thaco if you have the patience. If you're playing through SOD and you're being thorough you'll get your Kensai levels back somewhere around the underground river. But if you're not playing SOD you'll be a lovely under-leveled thief for a little bit in the beginning of SOA.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m playing a Baldur’s Gate trilogy run if that makes any difference. Thanks for the advice! I’ve never played a dual class pc before.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I've never been near the end of the game and wished I had dualled later. Plenty of times I've been stuck in the midgame and wished I had dualled sooner. 7 is best.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I don't see the point in dualing a Kensai at 7. Berserker gives you the same +2 to hit and damage at that point plus the ability to equipt gauntlets and helmets as well as all the immunities you'd ever want.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

chaosapiant posted:

Dualing a Kensai before 13 is almost pointless. As a Thief you eventually get UAI but that obviously takes a while. Until then it's like Samuel Clemens said, the bonuses you get are barely even worth the lost equipment slots if that, never mind the opportunity cost of not being a Berserker.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't see the point in dualing a Kensai at 7. Berserker gives you the same +2 to hit and damage at that point plus the ability to equipt gauntlets and helmets as well as all the immunities you'd ever want.

It seems like more of a theme thing that people really liked. All the stuff you use to boost your AC up to decent levels would work equally well with a berserker. Even that aside, berserk is so much more useful then kai its surprising Kensai/Mage was even a thing.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Wizard Styles posted:

Dualing a Kensai before 13 is almost pointless. As a Thief you eventually get UAI but that obviously takes a while. Until then it's like Samuel Clemens said, the bonuses you get are barely even worth the lost equipment slots if that, never mind the opportunity cost of not being a Berserker.

Dualing at 13 will make it take loving forever to get your fighter levels back if you're not soloing or running with a very small party.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ll probably just stick to 7 or 9. I’m already playing the game and my Kensai is level 3, so going berserker instead isn’t an option. What level do I need to be to get 4 or 5 pips in two handed and staff proficiency? Once I have that I will make people explode by poking them with my stick.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

chaosapiant posted:

I’ll probably just stick to 7 or 9. I’m already playing the game and my Kensai is level 3, so going berserker instead isn’t an option. What level do I need to be to get 4 or 5 pips in two handed and staff proficiency? Once I have that I will make people explode by poking them with my stick.

You lose your pips when you dual and don't get them back until you get your first class back (when your second class is one level above your first class). And IIRC the pips in your new class also don't stack with your old class. E.g. if you put 4 pips in quarterstaves, dual to thief, then put a pip in quarterstaves, you won't end up with 5 pips when you get your fighter class back. So you need to do a bit of pre-planning.

You'll have 7 pips as a level 9 Kensai. I usually do 5 pips in quarterstaves, one pip in two handed weapons, and one pip in axe (for sweet, sweet Azuredge in BG2). Then when in thief levels one pip in short swords for thief-specific weapon noodling, one dagger for Firetooth as a ranged weapon, maybe one in Katanas for Celestial Fury or maybe one in longswords for Daystar if I feel like it. Then 2nd pip in

All this talk of Berserker/Thief... I think I'll have to try it. The times I use Kai + backstab is pretty minimal, truthfully.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I prefer wizard slayer-> thief with a longbow (and some shortbow levels from thief training). I usually dual class when they get to 5* in longbow.

Berkserker->druid is also pretty cool since druids level really fast and benefit greatly from armor and weapon options when berserker reactivates. If you're playing IWD, you can shapeshift into a berserk polar bear or elemental if you get silenced or something. Which is fun.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

rocketrobot posted:

Berkserker->druid is also pretty cool since druids level really fast

Insert the biggest asterisk in the universe here :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Suspicious posted:

Insert the biggest asterisk in the universe here :v:

*Until level 13 or something when they suddenly become the slowest leveling class.