Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Yeah the cops are 1488% on board with it all, implicitly or explicitly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aramek posted:

lefties are not joining the police force/military, but crazed right-wingers are.

I wonder why that could be? :iiam:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Personally Unheld Popular Opinion: It really is a mystery.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Tiggum posted:

I wonder why that could be? :iiam:

First you have to fail the intelligence test, then deal with awful co-workers and finally... not get paid so good.

Good bennies though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Anglophone monolinguals have no idea about anything since the English language is just a vehicle for ideas that are mostly brain poison.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

Anglophone monolinguals have no idea about anything since the English language is just a vehicle for ideas that are mostly brain poison.
Correlation != causation

White people have just historically been dumb and/or evil.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
That's only because they're the ones who happen to own the world at this point. They won't always but we hope the next people who own the world will be less terrible to everyone who isn't them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aramek posted:

That's only because they're the ones who happen to own the world at this point. They won't always but we hope the next people who own the world will be less terrible to everyone who isn't them.

Bwahahahahaha! We may as well be talking about how dogs will inherit the earth and create dog societies and wear dog pants and stuff.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Whatever sentient species' survives will create a new, albeit likely brief, society in the aftermath, though? Thry're unlikely to have pants because they won't need them/have opposable thumbs to really take advantage of/create them.

I don't remember if it was this thread or another I mentioned it in; the First Nations peoples of North America also went through ecological and societal growing pains, but because their goal was life worth living and not brutal subjugation of an Other, they got it figured out. Just in time for those demon crackers to come gently caress it all up, after they got kicked out of their homeland for being demon crackers.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Maybe we should subjugate everyone who thinks it's okay to be different from us to prevent them from loving everything up?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Aramek posted:

Maybe we should subjugate everyone who thinks it's okay to be different from us to prevent them from loving everything up?
If those differences are things like "You need to tolerate my intolerance or you're just as bad as me," yes, they need to be offered a chance to contribute to a better world, or they need to take a nice long nap and be reborn in a world where their toxic ideology has definitively lost, and there is absolutely no room in between.

PHUO: We'd already be living in a space-age utopia if the First Nations peoples of North America had been successful in repelling the colonists (the ones abandoning the colonies to integrate with the natives were correct to do so).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
PHUO: humanity will never be capable of achieving a utopia. We are not inherently good, and even if we have periods of peace and prosperity, someone will always get a taste for power and stomp all over the pacifists.

The only ethical thing is to either hope God does another flood so we have a do-over, or more realistically, start to phase ourselves out as a species. We've had thousands of years to get it right, and for the rest of time we'll always be on the edge of destroying it all. Illuminati, put chemicals in the water to not make us and our frog brethren gay, but to sterilize us.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

PHUO: humanity will never be capable of achieving a utopia. We are not inherently good, and even if we have periods of peace and prosperity, someone will always get a taste for power and stomp all over the pacifists.
I go back and forth on this a whole hell of a lot. I believe if people could see to their professional satisfaction that cooperation benefits them personally on every possible level, and we started coding that into our cultural stories, biases and myths and started intervening in cases of bullying (instead of profitting off of it), we could achieve this elusive dream.
If Anne Frank, of all loving people, in a capital-N Nazi extermination camp (distinct from the concentration camps), was able to believe that people are "basically good," we can figure our poo poo out and not be irredeemable fuckstains.
See also: apartheid South Africa and the lack of bloodbath that concluded it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I mean, there are people that are good and will never give in to corruption, but the issue is that all it takes is a small amount who aren't as strong mentally and it will all go to poo poo, every time. You can't have a society of good people when you're doing things like has been suggested itt and summarily executing people deemed to be nazis. That is a just thing to do but not a good thing to do.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Just get rid of all the bad people imo

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tubgoat posted:

I don't remember if it was this thread or another I mentioned it in; the First Nations peoples of North America also went through ecological and societal growing pains, but because their goal was life worth living and not brutal subjugation of an Other, they got it figured out. Just in time for those demon crackers to come gently caress it all up, after they got kicked out of their homeland for being demon crackers.

I mean, they fought wars against each other all the damned time. Including against each other while fighting against the US/Canadian governments.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

I mean, there are people that are good and will never give in to corruption, but the issue is that all it takes is a small amount who aren't as strong mentally and it will all go to poo poo, every time. You can't have a society of good people when you're doing things like has been suggested itt and summarily executing people deemed to be nazis. That is a just thing to do but not a good thing to do.
This came up in the antifa thread and we tried very patiently explaining it to this one fucker who came in to do typical concern trolling/liberal tone policing. Much like the "rape accusations ruin the lives of innocent men!!" talking point that comes up whenever substantiated/corroborated accusations surface against longtime entertainment industry figures, it's a red herring/canard/whatever metaphorical animal you prefer that transgressors with too much power and no interest in change like to whip out to discredit the entire concept of calling out and/or punishing bad behavior.

Whenever false accusations are made, it tends to be discovered extremely quickly because, thank loving god, such poo poo is (at least publicly) taken seriously nowadays as we've started acknowledging that it's not cool for destructively-selfish persons with power and no conscience to treat living people as unfeeling/non-sentient resources whose sole existence is for the benefit of their attacker.

Full disclosure: if an angry mob decides I ought to be put to death for the benefit of the collective because I am irredeemably toxic, I will help build the guillotine and be the first to put my neck through the hole.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I mean, they fought wars against each other all the damned time. Including against each other while fighting against the US/Canadian governments.
Oh, poo poo, word? I had no idea! Inter-tribal sparring is 100% as bad as scorched-earth genocide against the land, sea, air and everything living in/on it!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I wasn't really talking about people falsely accused. It's not good to kill anyone for any reason, even if it might be justified. The reason I said "deemed to be" is because if you authorize the authorities to kill nazis, they aren't going to properly vet everybody before pulling the trigger. They'll do what humans always do and use it to kill anyone they disagree with, whether they meet the threshold of "nazi" or not.

my main point is you might think you're the good guys, but when you start gunning down people in the streets there are no good guys.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

I wasn't really talking about people falsely accused. It's not good to kill anyone for any reason, even if it might be justified. The reason I said "deemed to be" is because if you authorize the authorities to kill nazis, they aren't going to properly vet everybody before pulling the trigger. They'll do what humans always do and use it to kill anyone they disagree with, whether they meet the threshold of "nazi" or not.
"A considerably-less-bad alternative is even worse than the status quo!"

my main point is you might think you're the good guys, but when you start gunning down people in the streets there are no good guys.
100% dependent on who's getting gunned down. If it's those who prefer a genocidal ethnostate, the good guys are the ones who are putting down nazis.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Did I say that?

Shoot all the nazis you want. But don't tell me you're a good person.

you talk about utopia, but all you seem to advocate for is having the less-bad side be in power. That's not a utopia, it's just a less bad regime. e: which is exactly why i said originally that utopias can't exist. You will never eliminate human evil.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 19:41 on Jul 6, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
99.999% goodness is not 100% goodness, ergo 0% goodness is preferable to 99.999% goodness. :hmmyes:

Did I say that?

Shoot all the nazis you want. But don't tell me you're a good person.

I never once made that claim. I am willing to label my nazi-murdering neighbor a good person, though, until serious charges are made against them. And even then, I'm willing to forgive them if they want to not be that way anymore and work toward a better world.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tubgoat posted:

Oh, poo poo, word? I had no idea! Inter-tribal sparring is 100% as bad as scorched-earth genocide against the land, sea, air and everything living in/on it!

I'm not the one that said they had everything figured out because they were so noble and only wanted to live good lives. You sound like a child.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm not the one that said they had everything figured out because they were so noble and only wanted to live good lives. You sound like a child.
I didn't say they had EVERYTHING figured out, but they were sure trying, which is infinitely better than we are collectively doing right now. You sound like an adult whose idea of maturity is compromising any and all of your values in the service of unaccountable power.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What am I compromising? Who are you arguing with here?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

99.999% goodness is not 100% goodness, ergo 0% goodness is preferable to 99.999% goodness. :hmmyes:

I feel like you're being intentionally obtuse. I've clearly stated my opinion at the start that humanity is bad and should be phased out. Yes, a less bad society would be preferable to what we have now, but no society would be even better.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

I feel like you're being intentionally obtuse.

In case you're not, we can loving do better and step 0 of that is unbrainwashing or exterminating the people actively trying to prevent better things. And no, I do not believe that would include you or people who think like you, as you're ostensibly coming from a place of concern for your neighbors, which is a good thing! but nazis are not.

Tubgoat has a new favorite as of 19:49 on Jul 6, 2019

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Overall I hate nature and wish I could pave all of it. Like I know we need farms and stuff but I just see grass and I get pissed.

Apparently having parks and green spaces make people feel less anxious when living in a city but, gently caress you for having anxiety.

I've been doing yard work all week and I'm mad.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Aramek posted:

I feel like it's normal to feel that way; yard work is tedious, for the most part. People whose anxiety is lessened by exposure to green spaces and vegetation don't generally have to perform yard work in order to secure the means of their or their loved ones' survival.
The anxiety most feel is a giant mess whose disentanglement from our current cultural trajectory and alienation from the fruits of our labor is basically impossible.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
Benevolent AI dictatorship when?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

TheMaskedUgly posted:

When the AI is programmed by someone not invested in our current economic system.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Aramek posted:

Overall I hate nature and wish I could pave all of it. Like I know we need farms and stuff but I just see grass and I get pissed.

Apparently having parks and green spaces make people feel less anxious when living in a city but, gently caress you for having anxiety.

Yards and nature are not the same thing. Hating yard work means you hate the false idea we have of what our outdoor spaces should look like.

My PHUO is that yards made from invasives grasses require way to much maintenance and resources and should be heavily discourage in favor of utilizing native grass and flowers that can make a wonderful low maintenance place for your family and wildlife. Also xeriscaping is bullshit unless you actually live in a desert. Yards made of gravel are bullshit.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

TheMaskedUgly posted:

True AI will never exist. It will always be poisoned by the people that train/code it. It will just be automated humanity, which means we should destroy it if anyone tries to give it any power over us.

that is, unless we can somehow decouple it from us and let it be truly independently sentient. The moment we try to code human emotions into it, we're hosed. If I may quote the greatest early 2000s action movie:

quote:

Its symptom is hate. Its symptom is anger. Its symptom is rage. Its symptom is war. The disease is human emotion

If we had unfeeling robots that couldn't cheat and skip their prozium doses ruling over us and keeping us peaceful, then maybe AI could work for the benefit of humanity.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 00:41 on Jul 7, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
It's fun to roleplay Mr. Spock, pretending to be logical and above such petty things as emotions. Beep boop.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

It's fun to roleplay Mr. Spock, pretending to be logical and above such petty things as emotions. Beep boop.

I think you need to watch Equilibrium. Father and the clerics (until they are revealed to all be frauds) aren't like Spock at all.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

(until they are revealed to all be frauds)
Bingo, motherfucker.

I enjoyed that film, if I was a filmmaker I'd insist on the Wachowskis and their team doing all the choreography.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

Bingo, motherfucker.

I enjoyed that film, if I was a filmmaker I'd insist on the Wachowskis and their team doing all the choreography.

The premise of the movie holds true though even though the leadership failed - the sense offenders hosed everything up and the ending is portrayed to be happy but you know they're heading straight for ww4.

also the choreography was just fine and i don't care how ridiculous gun kata looked it owns

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The problem is when you have two different sets of rules to play by which are unilaterally enforced against a group with no power to self-actualise or enforce them against the group in charge.

also the choreography was just fine and i don't care how ridiculous gun kata looked it owns
I sincerely agree and was not being sarcastic.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Were they involved with equilibrium though? I thought their key selling point was "we're not the matrix, we're better!" etc.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I was 100% sure it was them until you said something. :saddowns:

Kurt Wimmer and Jim Vickers, I guess. Whoops! TIL.

Embarrassing things about gunkata, ranked descending.
1. The in-universe description
2. The name

Tubgoat has a new favorite as of 03:10 on Jul 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The name is pretty bad but I think it's kind of endearing how serious the plot portrays it. They even had simulated diagrams and poo poo trying (and failing) to make it make sense. Like they really want us to buy that if you twist around and shoot without aiming it somehow makes you an invincible killing machine.