Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

GigaFuzz posted:

You can try
code:
powercfg /requests
to see if that sheds any light.

Windows posted:

DISPLAY:
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume7\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe
VR Active

SYSTEM:
[SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume7\Program Files (x86)\IDriveWindows\id_service.exe (IDriveService)

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
[DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller
Power Manager

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
None.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Gone are the days of LAN SMB file shares and storage solutions within the confines of our own domiciles.

Today we blindly accept the sending of whatever the gently caress over the Internet to a data-center in the cloud and downloading it back.

:fsmug: :fireman:

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I used some software called D-LAN, which is kinda old now, but still works on Win10. Its actually local and does exactly what you’d expect. Recommended.

http://www.d-lan.net

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Gone are the days of LAN SMB file shares and storage solutions within the confines of our own domiciles.

Today we blindly accept the sending of whatever the gently caress over the Internet to a data-center in the cloud and downloading it back.

:fsmug: :fireman:

Setting up SMB 2 shares still works just the same as setting up SMB 1 shares did back in Win 95.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Klyith posted:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/07/01/evolving-windows-10-servicing-and-quality-the-next-steps/

Reading between the lines they're basically skipping the Fall update this year, which gets a solid thumbs up from me. Maybe this will give them time to fix their process for putting updates together and whatever the gently caress has been going on with their QC.
19H2 is the Fall update.

The only story I've heard that is remotely similar to that, is that the kernel team's ostensibly doing some larger changes that wouldn't make it in time for 19H2, and therefore they won't touch it for that release.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

19H2 is the Fall update.

The only story I've heard that is remotely similar to that, is that the kernel team's ostensibly doing some larger changes that wouldn't make it in time for 19H2, and therefore they won't touch it for that release.
They're still going to label something "2019 Fall Update", because they need it for support purposes at the very least. But "a scoped set of features" that will "install like a monthly update" sounds like they're not putting a major update into that slot. It's being skipped as far as they've handled "feature updates" so far.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

More on 19H2: https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-the-real-reason-microsoft-is-already-testing-publicly-next-springs-windows-10-release/

tl;dr the windows core (kernel etc) got moved to be under the Azure team, and so schedules are being arranged to suit the Azure guys. Windows client (ie all the shell and built-in apps) team are still the ones putting together the half-year updates, but they're now marching to someone else's drum beat.

Note that this re-org happened in early 2018, which makes me think it might be another reason for how poo poo things have been since then. Clouds > users.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I'm really sick of these feature updates changing my settings. I installed updates yesterday and now my mouse cursor has changed and the sound theme changed from No Sounds back to the default theme, blaring sounds out of my speakers unexpectedly. Get your poo poo together, Microsoft.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

GI_Clutch posted:

I'm really sick of these feature updates changing my settings. I installed updates yesterday and now my mouse cursor has changed and the sound theme changed from No Sounds back to the default theme, blaring sounds out of my speakers unexpectedly. Get your poo poo together, Microsoft.
Changing any setting is an unsupported configuration that will be corrected until you stop being wrong.

(merging settings sucks and nobody gets it right, if you end up modifying anything during an upgrade its easier to nuke to defaults rather than try to figure out what the closest equivalent is.)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Sure, it's easier, but having to root around in settings to correct things is the sort of unnecessary, tedious friction that makes people avoid updating.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I wasn't expecting this use-case to be handled, but I'm glad to see that time travelers can have their files sorted properly now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Actuarial Fables posted:

I wasn't expecting this use-case to be handled, but I'm glad to see that time travelers can have their files sorted properly now.

Now I'm kinda hoping the date on those files will update to the 10th when midnight hits, instead of getting filed under 'Today'.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Actuarial Fables posted:

Time zones, daylight saving, and no access to ntp sources would all mean you need to handle this type of issue.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Well, to a lot of the world those files are dated the 7th of September 2019, so definitely time travel beyond ‘tomorrow’ :dance:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Any ideas about this? For context, my computer doesn't seem to want to go to sleep on its own. I don't think it's related to IDrive, either, since I left it on in the middle of the day recently and it still didn't go to sleep. This started within the last few weeks, to the best of my memory.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

hooah posted:

Any ideas about this? For context, my computer doesn't seem to want to go to sleep on its own. I don't think it's related to IDrive, either, since I left it on in the middle of the day recently and it still didn't go to sleep. This started within the last few weeks, to the best of my memory.

I think it's something in the 1903 update as my desktop will no longer go to sleep on it's own either despite being set to. This behaviour started right after that update. I can manually set it to sleep from the start menu.
I have no solution to it unless someone else does.
At least they fixed the night light issue, that's working again now.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1148952598575063040?s=19

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Is there any native or at least preferred method to make windows snap to the top and bottom of a monitor in portrait mode? Everything I can seem to find suggests a different third party tool with example pictures from Vista or something similarly ancient.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Im still upgrading a lot of windows 7 computers to 10 and 10 is a lot loving slower. Food for thought. Even Windows 8 isn't such a pig.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

redeyes posted:

Im still upgrading a lot of windows 7 computers to 10 and 10 is a lot loving slower. Food for thought. Even Windows 8 isn't such a pig.

Just basic stuff like opening task manager is markedly slower on 10

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Its Coke posted:

I'm having trouble with Microsoft Photos (the default app to open image files) that started last night. I can't open any images in This PC > Pictures

When I try, I get this message:

If I try to edit the file, I get this

But then when I click Close, the picture actually opens successfully somehow.

The thing is, this only occurs in This PC > Pictures. I can successfully open image files anywhere else on my drive, INCLUDING if I access my pictures folder by going to Accountname > Pictures instead.

Does anyone have any clue what's going on here? I've tried resetting and repairing the Photos app.

This is happening again but now I can't fix it by terminating the program

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

HalloKitty posted:

Just basic stuff like opening task manager is markedly slower on 10

I was getting a lot of this behavior and I found that uninstalling the feedback hub modern app solved it. I don't know how to bring up the solution I found on google again, but task manager pops right up after removing the feedback hub and I have no idea why.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Its Coke posted:

If you set a different image viewer/editor as the default and open it in the problem location, do you get similar errors?

Running any 3rd party antivirus?

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Actuarial Fables posted:

If you set a different image viewer/editor as the default and open it in the problem location, do you get similar errors?

Running any 3rd party antivirus?

No and no.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Its Coke posted:

Check event viewer.

Right click the Custom Views folder on the left pane. Select "Create Custom View...", switch to the XML tab, check the box that says edit manually, and then paste this
code:
<QueryList>
  <Query Id="0" Path="Microsoft-Windows-AppModel-Runtime/Admin">
    <Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-AppModel-Runtime/Admin">*[System[(Level=1  or Level=2)]]</Select>
    <Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational">*[System[(Level=1  or Level=2)]]</Select>
    <Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeployment/Operational">*[System[(Level=1  or Level=2)]]</Select>
    <Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeploymentServer/Operational">*[System[(Level=1  or Level=2)]]</Select>
    <Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeploymentServer/Restricted">*[System[(Level=1  or Level=2)]]</Select>
    <Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-AppxPackaging/Operational">*[System[(Level=1  or Level=2)]]</Select>
  </Query>
</QueryList>
into the box and hit OK. This will give you error logs from UWP/Appx programs.

It still probably won't help because AppX is a pile of unstable trash that just stops working every so often.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Vanagoon posted:

I was getting a lot of this behavior and I found that uninstalling the feedback hub modern app solved it. I don't know how to bring up the solution I found on google again, but task manager pops right up after removing the feedback hub and I have no idea why.

I have to keep Task Manager running at all times or the System Interrupts task consumes 100% cpu. I've also noticed that the feedback hub often uses a lot of cpu for no reason. Might try removing it completely to see if that helps.

The best part of my situation is that System Interrupts will happily use 100% and make the system sluggish as he'll, but as soon as you open Task Manager it stops doing that. So I just keep TM running all the time now.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Klyith posted:

Check event viewer.

Right click the Custom Views folder on the left pane. Select "Create Custom View...", switch to the XML tab, check the box that says edit manually, and then paste this
code:
<QueryList>
  <Query Id="0" Path="Microsoft-Windows-AppModel-Runtime/Admin">
    <Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-AppModel-Runtime/Admin">*[System[(Level=1  or Level=2)]]</Select>
    <Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational">*[System[(Level=1  or Level=2)]]</Select>
    <Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeployment/Operational">*[System[(Level=1  or Level=2)]]</Select>
    <Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeploymentServer/Operational">*[System[(Level=1  or Level=2)]]</Select>
    <Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeploymentServer/Restricted">*[System[(Level=1  or Level=2)]]</Select>
    <Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-AppxPackaging/Operational">*[System[(Level=1  or Level=2)]]</Select>
  </Query>
</QueryList>
into the box and hit OK. This will give you error logs from UWP/Appx programs.

It still probably won't help because AppX is a pile of unstable trash that just stops working every so often.

That seems to have errors from when I try to reset the app. Six in total but the gist of all of them is that the Photos app needs to close and it can't delete the Photos folder in Appdata\Local\Packages\ so the deployment doesn't happen.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Its Coke posted:

That seems to have errors from when I try to reset the app. Six in total but the gist of all of them is that the Photos app needs to close and it can't delete the Photos folder in Appdata\Local\Packages\ so the deployment doesn't happen.

There are a bunch of troubleshooting things you can try including
windows store app troubleshooter
reset the windows store
use powershell to reinstall built-in apps
and when those don't work you can start manually poking at poo poo like deleting the directory it's hung up on yourself.

...or you can just install xnview or ifranview to look at your photos and not deal with this bullshit. Just be thankful it's only the photos app that's hosed up and not the start menu or taskbar.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

redeyes posted:

I noticed that at work. At home it's not so bad, but on those underpowered miniature desktops they have in every office apparently 10 is disgustingly slow at various basic tasks compared to the handful of 7 boxes we still have in use. Like, just opening up the clock panel has a second's worth of delay instead of being instantaneous like it should be and how it generally used to be.

It's such a step back overall from 8, which for all its UI nightmares to its eternal credit, was super fast and responsive thanks to Microsoft's efforts to make it as responsive as possible for tablet use. Everything felt snappy. The start menu especially I never saw be laggy not once - the only bit of delay it had was the short animation it played when opening and I think even that could be disabled. Good luck relying on the Windows 10 start menu to not just randomly decide it'll take five seconds to open this time for no reason.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've never had any of those problems you're describing and I don't think I just have good luck with computers.

We use mini desktops in our office and they're all i5 and 16 gigs of RAM with m.2 drives. Extremely fast and good.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
MS has built a few core parts of the user experience out of their fragile appx poo poo, and I'm just fed up with it. Right now if I take any updates the taskbar & actioncenter stop working, because I get a similar problem to It's Coke but it's Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost that shits itself. I am honestly thinking about switching to god drat linux.

Between hearing good things about games under linux running closer to 100% speed than ever, and the stuff about AMD chips having really good VM abilities, I'm real tempted. I've done linux desktop before, I know how frustrating that can be. But at least with linux if I spend a week making a piece of poo poo sound driver work, it stays working.

GreenNight posted:

I've never had any of those problems you're describing and I don't think I just have good luck with computers.

The poo poo is a complete bugfuck mystery, you can google about start menu being broken and there are threads like clockwork on MS's technet. They know it's a problem and they can't fix it. I had problems 2 years ago that had me tearing out my hair, then 1709 came out and the OS upgrage fixed everything. No issues for 2 years, and now a different bit of the core UI has died. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Ha, I fell into the apparently-classic trap of “remove old unused secondary HDD from PC, whoops turns out that drive had essential boot files”

Sounds like creating a recovery USB on another PC should do the trick, though; does the OS version make a difference in terms of making a compatible recovery disk? The affected PC is 1903 while the other is a 1809 that hasn’t received the upgrade prompt yet.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The start menu works great until it doesn't and then its impossible to fix.

Ruflux posted:

I noticed that at work. At home it's not so bad, but on those underpowered miniature desktops they have in every office apparently 10 is disgustingly slow at various basic tasks compared to the handful of 7 boxes we still have in use. Like, just opening up the clock panel has a second's worth of delay instead of being instantaneous like it should be and how it generally used to be.

It's such a step back overall from 8, which for all its UI nightmares to its eternal credit, was super fast and responsive thanks to Microsoft's efforts to make it as responsive as possible for tablet use. Everything felt snappy. The start menu especially I never saw be laggy not once - the only bit of delay it had was the short animation it played when opening and I think even that could be disabled. Good luck relying on the Windows 10 start menu to not just randomly decide it'll take five seconds to open this time for no reason.

Im really unhappy with how bloated and controlling windows has become. I am pretty much a path of least resistance kind of computer guy.. to a point. I guess not to the point of using Macs. lol. I do feel like linux is in my future, and I use it here and there. I really wish some company would through some resources behind a good gui. A really actually well thought out gui. I know, i know, linux is all about choices.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I decided to give the new game bar a try for recording footage, and after opening successfully exactly once it now leaves the 'press Win + G to open the game bar' message on screen forever and hangs, when loading any game at all. loving great.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I decided to give the new game bar a try for recording footage, and after opening successfully exactly once it now leaves the 'press Win + G to open the game bar' message on screen forever and hangs, when loading any game at all. loving great.
Press Win + G to open the game bar

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
What's actually happened to Windows? Even on a clean install with few apps installed that are deeply embedded, why is the Start menu of all things still unreliable? Why is this getting worse? We should essentially be in a Service Pack level of increasing reliability and performance.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 14, 2019

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Last Chance posted:

I'm assuming that's :thejoke: but I did try that and the button on the xbox controller too, but it just straight up hangs until I restart the computer. There's no other recording or overlay stuff running either.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What's actually happened to Windows? Even on a clean install with few apps installed that are deeply embedded, why is the Start menu of all things still unreliable? Why is this getting worse? We're shoulders essentially be in a Service Pack level of increasing reliability and performance.

Ironically it's that they're decoupling everything from the core that everything is breaking, the couple decades worth of ironing out bugs is gone. New code is always risky.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm assuming that's :thejoke: but I did try that and the button on the xbox controller too, but it just straight up hangs until I restart the computer. There's no other recording or overlay stuff running either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Jesus crap fart this loving company. As much of a pita it is, I'm never doing an update again without imaging the OS drive first (unless it's just defender definitions). I've even been contemplating a return to 8.1. My main reason for wanting to move to 10 was dolby atmos for headphones, actually, but now I have HeSuVi.

Cross-Section posted:

Ha, I fell into the apparently-classic trap of “remove old unused secondary HDD from PC, whoops turns out that drive had essential boot files”

This is why I never fresh install with any other drives attached. Hell, as stupid as MS can be even upgrading with any other drives present might be a risk.