Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Years ago I worked at a high-end AV store that had a cinema room with all the top of the line Klipsch surround and HD/plasma stuff. They had three movies they played in there to show off everything: Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park, and Ronin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
No way, I loved that movie when it came out. That was a long time ago though, no wonder I don't remember. I looked up his more recent stuff and I haven't seen any of it but that's not surprising as I barely watch anything anymore.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still want to eat Fallout Mentats.

+

https://www.etsy.com/market/mentats

results may vary.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

priznat posted:

You have to have seen him before in films, he’s in a ton of stuff.

A favourite of mine is him as Gregor in Ronin.

Breaking the Waves
Melancholia
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Dogville
Nymphomaniac
Insomnia
Good Will Hunting
Dancer in the Dark

Deep Blue Sea!!!!!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ok, I just finished reading Heretics of Dune for the first time, having gotten through God-Emperor both many years ago and in my ongoing rereading.

Umm, Frank goes a little off the track in this one, doesn't he? Starts to read like a Frank Miller script with all the mention of "whores". And the non-unionized version of the Weirding Way turns out to be space kegels???????

I was certain that the weird thing with Miles Teg was the T-probe was a low-rent matrix so you could get someone to reveal their secrets through playing them out in VR but OTOH finding out this special form of super-Mentatism just relies on Atreides blood being hooked to the right sort of torture machine and bam you've got Spider-Sense, plus all the random encounters just seemed really random. Oh well.

Dare I read Chapterhouse? It's waiting for me on my nightstand, but ugh I may have to take a break after this pile of slig poo poo.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Unfortunately you need to power through the first six lovely books so books 7 and 8 (AKA the good ones) make sense, so yes, read Chapterhouse

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A little obvious imo

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Heretics and Chapterhouse were written at the end of his life, and honestly Old Man Frank was slipping in quality. Heretics isn't very good, but Chapterhouse is better, aside from a really weird side plot involving Jews In Space. I haven't finished the book, the Jews In Space stuff is only weird so far, not problematic or :yikes: or whatever, but it's still really weird and out of place.

Overall the book is better than heretics to the point i've listened, about 33% of the way through.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Riot Bimbo posted:

Heretics and Chapterhouse were written at the end of his life, and honestly Old Man Frank was slipping in quality. Heretics isn't very good, but Chapterhouse is better, aside from a really weird side plot involving Jews In Space. I haven't finished the book, the Jews In Space stuff is only weird so far, not problematic or :yikes: or whatever, but it's still really weird and out of place.

Overall the book is better than heretics to the point i've listened, about 33% of the way through.

I've seen the Jews in Chapterhouse referenced before in this thread and it always makes me think of the History of the World Part One clip at the end with the voiceover "Jeeewwwwsssss....iiinnnn....sppppaaaaaacccceeeee" as a giant starship shaped as the Mogen David flies by.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

It's been more than a decade since I read Chapterhouse, so the only memory I have about the subplot with the Jews is thinking "Oh, interesting, the Jews are still around." What's weird about it?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I guess in the fictional universe where every other religion is invented from whole cloth or combinations of modern faiths, the fact that there are still Jews, that they're culturally stagnant and unchanged, and still basically having to flee from pogroms and stuff feels, kinda anachronistic? it's just really odd as a plot point to me.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Like, I guess Judaism kinda changes more than most religions, and has gone through a bunch of different versions since we began writing things down, so the fact that they're essentially as they were in the 20th century feels really drat uninspired among other things.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

Unfortunately you need to power through the first six lovely books so books 7 and 8 (AKA the good ones) make sense, so yes, read Chapterhouse

Womp womp

sebmojo posted:

A little obvious imo

:hmmyes:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Riot Bimbo posted:

I guess in the fictional universe where every other religion is invented from whole cloth or combinations of modern faiths, the fact that there are still Jews, that they're culturally stagnant and unchanged, and still basically having to flee from pogroms and stuff feels, kinda anachronistic? it's just really odd as a plot point to me.

Also isn't it a big part of the origins of the saga (like, pre-Butlerian Jihad) that most of Earth's major religions held a treaty and amalgamated? That's how we have stuff like the OC Bible and Zensunni and poo poo. I don't recall any specific mention that "uh yeah the Jews just stayed Jews."

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mister Speaker posted:

Also isn't it a big part of the origins of the saga (like, pre-Butlerian Jihad) that most of Earth's major religions held a treaty and amalgamated? That's how we have stuff like the OC Bible and Zensunni and poo poo. I don't recall any specific mention that "uh yeah the Jews just stayed Jews."
The pan-Earth religious amalgamation summit was held at an old school golf clubhouse, so, well, you know

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

WW@DAD

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Remember Frank grew up in a time when Jews were still shaking off their separation from gentile society in what industries they worked in etc, and the BG archives expressly say "these guys were distrusted because they didn't integrate so they went underground to survive". It seems a little weird to us now but it was totally a thing even in the 70's and early 80's (think diamond industry etc) so I can forgive Frank for that.

I really like Heretics and Chapterhouse portrayal of "latter day Bene Gesserit" society, so I don't notice the problems with the books as much.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

kiimo posted:

Reminder that David Dastmalchian is my childhood friend and this is just blowing my mind so much

Dastmalchian has such a weird vibe that he can look creepy even while clearly having the time of his life.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I don't really know where the Rabbi's plot was going (except that his daughter had become a BG without their training) but it wasn't really off-putting to me. Not sure why some people focus on it, since it's like only three pages interspersed within 500 or so. To me, it just seemed like another little interesting tangent about people surviving against the odds.

Around the same point in the book we are told how the Harkonnen family met it's ultimate demise while trying to hide themselves from enemies - Leto? - by sequestering themselves in a giant compound built in to a mountain. Teg's friend discovers it as a child and although there's plenty of signs that people lived there, there are no people, living or dead. It's almost as though the people realized their "line" was done for and just filtered out into the world and left their tradition behind them. A fitting end for them, really - all those centuries jockeying for power, only to be forgotten.

It's an interesting contrast, if not deliberate.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'd rather die from space kegels than from putting my hand in the box.

gently caress you, mom!

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 7, 2019

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

phasmid posted:

I don't really know where the Rabbi's plot was going (except that his daughter had become a BG without their training) but it wasn't really off-putting to me. Not sure why some people focus on it, since it's like only three pages interspersed within 500 or so. To me, it just seemed like another little interesting tangent about people surviving against the odds.

Around the same point in the book we are told how the Harkonnen family met it's ultimate demise while trying to hide themselves from enemies - Leto? - by sequestering themselves in a giant compound built in to a mountain. Teg's friend discovers it as a child and although there's plenty of signs that people lived there, there are no people, living or dead. It's almost as though the people realized their "line" was done for and just filtered out into the world and left their tradition behind them. A fitting end for them, really - all those centuries jockeying for power, only to be forgotten.

It's an interesting contrast, if not deliberate.

Wasn't that the no-globe in Heretics? That always confused me, since I would've thought that Geidi Prime was the first stop on the jihad train, and no-globes were developed during the Tyrants' reign using the last of the Harkonnen wealth.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'll be honest, the Jews In Space subplot completely went under the radar for all my re-reads up until recently, but then after it was discussed in this thread I paid more attention to it - and it struck me as weird that the Race Conciousness To Avoid Stagnation, that is so unavoidable that someone who can see the future and becomes the most powerful person in the universe cannot avoid it, doesn't affect them in the least.
Then again, that's hardly the only subplot that Frank fails to bring to fruition.

phasmid posted:

So this is the fate of Feyd-Rauthas bastard son, that he presumably had with Margo Fenring? I got to wondering about that a while ago and just remembered it last night, and I couldn't remember anything about it ever being mentioned again.

Mister Speaker posted:

Yep, that's covered in one of the Appendicies of Dune, at the end of the first book.

Also, does anyone have an explanation of the Bronzo of Ix framing device that Dune Messiah starts out with? It's completely left-field, compared with the rest of the books which if I recall correctly seem to have Bene Gesserit using other memory as a framing device

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The point of Bronso is to set the tone. It basically completely slaps in the face the naive hero’s journey reading of Dune that a lot of people did (in fact doing this increasingly unsubtly is the point of the rest of the series) and there’s nothing more likely to do that than “btw, Muad’dib’s empire has a secret police of raving theocrats, here’s one torturing a liberal historian to death for faithfully reporting the events of the first book, Paul has no idea what’s going on and probably doesn’t care”.

It needs to be someone other than the BGs getting tortured because the BGs, as is pointed out within the scene itself, wouldn’t have a liberal historian willing to get martyred for the truth. They’d go onside with the god empire and work to subvert it to their ends, not stand in its path and get steamrolled.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I own two versions of Messiah and neither of them includes that Bronso bit. I'd say it's an issue with my copy, one one of them is on Kindle and the other is a recent printing. Apparently, it's well known that the Bronso stuff is just missing from some versions.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Weird, my Kindle version has it.

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

Every time I dip into this thread I'm reminded that I would really enjoy rereading the original series. Except for the first one and God Emperor, those 2 paperbacks I still have.
I also need to find this encyclopedia every one keeps mentioning. Great thread.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

"Burzmali hurried her out of the view of the brooding hypnobong proprietor."
- Frank Herbert, Heretics of Dune

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's funny to how I've had people telling me they absolutely hated Messiah for "ruining" the story of their hero Paul. We need a version of this image but for Dune, talk about missing the point:

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

DebonaireD posted:

brooding hypnobong proprietor
mods

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I own two versions of Messiah and neither of them includes that Bronso bit. I'd say it's an issue with my copy, one one of them is on Kindle and the other is a recent printing. Apparently, it's well known that the Bronso stuff is just missing from some versions.

What the gently caress.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

tight aspirations posted:

Wasn't that the no-globe in Heretics? That always confused me, since I would've thought that Geidi Prime was the first stop on the jihad train, and no-globes were developed during the Tyrants' reign using the last of the Harkonnen wealth.
The probable sequence of events is that some fourth-level cadet branch of the Harkonnens sold out to the Atreides and inherited Giedi Prime etc., and were then poo poo on and blamed for everything for the indefinite extension of the future even if their particular branch just shaved the whales and didn't give a single good god drat about family honor.

They also could've run to Tupile and then come back later, only to still get poo poo on

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

skasion posted:

The point of Bronso is to set the tone. It basically completely slaps in the face the naive hero’s journey reading of Dune that a lot of people did (in fact doing this increasingly unsubtly is the point of the rest of the series) and there’s nothing more likely to do that than “btw, Muad’dib’s empire has a secret police of raving theocrats, here’s one torturing a liberal historian to death for faithfully reporting the events of the first book, Paul has no idea what’s going on and probably doesn’t care”.

It needs to be someone other than the BGs getting tortured because the BGs, as is pointed out within the scene itself, wouldn’t have a liberal historian willing to get martyred for the truth. They’d go onside with the god empire and work to subvert it to their ends, not stand in its path and get steamrolled.

:stoked: for Villanueve's take on Dune because BR2049 was also about subverting the precepts of the monomyth and it ruled.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Did Frank have any ghostwriters help him with the books? I'm sitting here at work with my copy of Children and a guy came in and said "the guy who ghost wrote that and some of the other sequels taught at my college." I'm thinking he's got it mixed up with failson's books but I could be wrong?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I've never heard that, I'd assume it was the son.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

@duneauthor def ghostwrote the dune series, just ask him

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mister Speaker posted:

Did Frank have any ghostwriters help him with the books? I'm sitting here at work with my copy of Children and a guy came in and said "the guy who ghost wrote that and some of the other sequels taught at my college." I'm thinking he's got it mixed up with failson's books but I could be wrong?
Frank Herbert might have had some editor help or whatever, but other than the Dune Encyclopedia (which he did not write, but did vaguely endorse) he wrote all the first six books. All the other poo poo is generally held to be KJA working with the lesser Herbert.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I'm guessing he was referring to Kevin J. Anderson.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

What kind of lovely college did that guy go to that would hire trash like Kevin J. Anderson?

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Defiance Industries posted:

What kind of lovely college did that guy go to that would hire trash like Kevin J. Anderson?

Western Colorado University

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

IIRC, he wrote the first three books - and plotted out the fourth - at mostly the same time, which makes it unlikely. Could he be thinking of Bill Ransom and the Destination: Void series?