Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Clarste posted:

I always thought Vauthry looked more like a giant baby than an obese adult.

Which seemed relevant to his personality + backstory.

Pretty much. Vauthry is literally a giant baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Nodosaur posted:

He's got cartoonishly huge neck rolls. In his first scene he's constantly swaying about almost as if he can't stand up. He has a comically huge stomach and short legs. He couldn't look more like Jabba the Hutt unless he were also huge and covered in scales.

But sure, go ahead, tell the people who are harmed and judged as a result of this kind of imagery daily that this doesn't exist and that it's our fault for being offended. It's not like the the whole "elite siphoning wealth having a grotesque balloonish appearance to match" thing isn't incredibly dated, and you can't wholly subvert a trope while simultaneously reveling in it and using it to the furthest extreme you can.

Shut up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vermain posted:

You can be as offended as you want. I, personally, don't find any reason to be offended by it, because my individual reading of the text indicates to me that he's not intended to be a figure of fun or derision, and his individual character arc emphasizes the message of, "Your body doesn't matter a whit compared to the quality of your character."

If your body doesn't matter, then they could have made Vauthry slim and fit and he would have been just as effective of a villain. Heck, even more effective in his contrast with Dulia.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm surprised Ran'jit ended up dying in a solo quest and wasn't a dungeon boss. Guy has all kinds of unique moves and even a second phase!

Also shocked Zorn and Thorn didn't turn into a giant monster or anything.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Merilan posted:

"you are wrong to be offended because it's thematically relevant" is the most messed up hill to die on.

i'm glad the rich minority finally found its defenders

live in fear no longer rich brothers

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Rhonne posted:

I'm surprised Ran'jit ended up dying in a solo quest and wasn't a dungeon boss. Guy has all kinds of unique moves and even a second phase!

supposedly there was a cut dungeon, so eulmore having some kind of an underground area (like in the trailer) featuring ran jit and the twin jesters as bosses would've made sense

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
But he is slim and fit in his second form as Innocence. He looks like he does both as a consequence of his position in Eulmoran society, and to create a visual contrast between his mostly human look and full sineater look

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Rhonne posted:

Pretty sure he'll be back. I think a NPC says at one point that his body disappeared from the scene.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is it just me or is the fat chocobo Lord Vauthry mount kinda tasteless?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nodosaur posted:

He's got cartoonishly huge neck rolls. In his first scene he's constantly swaying about almost as if he can't stand up. He has a comically huge stomach and short legs. He couldn't look more like Jabba the Hutt unless he were also huge and covered in scales.

But sure, go ahead, tell the people who are harmed and judged as a result of this kind of imagery daily that this doesn't exist and that it's our fault for being offended. It's not like the the whole "elite siphoning wealth having a grotesque balloonish appearance to match" thing isn't incredibly dated, and you can't wholly subvert a trope while simultaneously reveling in it and using it to the furthest extreme you can.

Fister Roboto posted:

If your body doesn't matter, then they could have made Vauthry slim and fit and he would have been just as effective of a villain. Heck, even more effective in his contrast with Dulia.

I've been fat and considered myself ugly since I was 12. People are going to make fun of overweight characters because they've been taught that it's socially acceptable to do so, even when those characters are entirely good and decent people like Dulia-Chai. If you make Vauthry into a regular dude, then you also diminish the significance of the message given by his arc in much the same way as how you would diminish the significance of Dulia-Chai if she were simply a regular-looking Miqo'te wearing rich finery. Having characters who embody socially "negative" body images, accompanied by a text that explicitly says, "The shape of your body doesn't matter, only the shape of your soul," is far more meaningful of a message to me on an individual level.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

what if they made lord vauthry orange

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'm pretty sure vauthry is fat because he eats sin eaters that used to be people. a whole lot of them. because he's evil.

also he mainly reminded me of the giant angry baby from Spirited Away more than anything.

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

The Ascians share names with the scions of light, which were what the espers/scions of darkness was made in opposition of, with the exception of Eldibus, who was the mage in FFT you could learn summon Zodiark from.

Fister Roboto posted:

Fun fact: in FF12's pantheon, Emet-Selch is referred to as "the Angel of Truth".

okay is there anything in this game that is NOT a reference to a previous FF game

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Vermain posted:

I've been fat and considered myself ugly since I was 12. People are going to make fun of overweight characters because they've been taught that it's socially acceptable to do so, even when those characters are entirely good and decent people like Dulia-Chai. If you make Vauthry into a regular dude, then you also diminish the significance of the message given by his arc in much the same way as how you would diminish the significance of Dulia-Chai if she were simply a regular-looking Miqo'te wearing rich finery. Having characters who embody socially "negative" body images, accompanied by a text that explicitly says, "The shape of your body doesn't matter, only the shape of your soul," is far more meaningful of a message to me on an individual level.

I like Dulia-Chai, is the thing. But her existence doesn't really absolve the problems with Vauthry, just as it wouldn't even if the two represented some other aspect of prejudice and Vauthry exhibited negative visual aspects of other kinds of stereotypes. What if Vauthry instead leaned on negative tropes associated with race or sexuality? I don't think the duality of also including someone like Dulia would negate the problems there, so why would it do so in this case?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Vauthry is fat for the same reason he's blonde: Donald Trump

It's not that subtle

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kerrzhe posted:

okay is there anything in this game that is NOT a reference to a previous FF game

Yeah like 90% of the entire game?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

Well there are also references to Shakespeare, and not just ones that were already in FF9

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Is Ninja any good

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also him being fat represents the excess of his rule of Eulmore. While the poor are practically starving when Meol isn't being provided to him, he is able to live in such luxury that he has enough to eat to get himself to such a size.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nodosaur posted:

I like Dulia-Chai, is the thing. But her existence doesn't really absolve the problems with Vauthry, just as it wouldn't even if the two represented some other aspect of prejudice and Vauthry exhibited negative visual aspects of other kinds of stereotypes. What if Vauthry instead leaned on negative tropes associated with race or sexuality? I don't think the duality of also including someone like Dulia would negate the problems there, so why would it do so in this case?

I'm going to encourage you to either finish the Shadowbringers MSQ or, at least, be willing to spoil yourself on the black boxes I've made in the past 4 or 5 posts before you think too much more about this. You're trying to analyze a text after reading only a fifth of it.

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Is Ninja any good

They're tight, although, as always, your latency can affect how much you can squeeze out of the job. I haven't heard anyone saying that any particular job is a dud this expansion, really.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not saying it's good to use those kinds of stereotypes as character shorthand*, just that in this specific instance I am 100 percent certain it is a deliberate parallel.

* heck, it seems pretty bad to me

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Vauthry is fat because he eats a lot.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, Vauthry eventually even starts using some of Trump's vocal tics.

That said, yeah, fat jokes are A Problem, and they're still A Problem even the devs obviously went into it with good intentions. (Part of the problem is tying "obesity" to "the gluttonous rich", which is basically the opposite of how obesity works in real life, where obesity is most common among the poor who can't afford decent food, gym memberships, or health care.) Saying that people are fat because they're gluttonous is itself a slur.

And yeah, that whole middle area of Eulmore kind of feels like there was supposed to be a dungeon at some point and maybe a prison escape, with a Meltigemini boss fight.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I don't know how "the mega evil villain being cartoonishly obese is kind of offensive and otherwise a really tired and done to death trope" has become a hot take but here we are.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
probably post ShB
Regarding the light's blessing and tempering and stuff: didn't Midgardsormr straight up remove the blessing for a short while in 2.x? Did I misunderstand that? How does that fit into all this that he can just... do that?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

(Part of the problem is tying "obesity" to "the gluttonous rich", which is basically the opposite of how obesity works in real life, where obesity is most common among the poor who can't afford decent food, gym memberships, or health care.)

This is a medieval society. I don't think peasants in 800 A.D. France got to hit up ye olde mcdonald's cause a farthing could get you a mead, a mutton chop and some haggis compared to getting a single apple for a sovereign. I don't think king george hit up planet fitness between bouts of hunting in his forest for pigs.

Reminder: Fatness was a plus in medieval society cause it meant you actually had wealth to eat.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Violently Car posted:

probably post ShB
Regarding the light's blessing and tempering and stuff: didn't Midgardsormr straight up remove the blessing for a short while in 2.x? Did I misunderstand that? How does that fit into all this that he can just... do that?

(post-MSQ spoilers)
IIRC, it's something he does specifically with Hydaelyn's consent, so she likely gave him a helping hand. Midgardsormr's also just monstrously powerful, as are most of the other denizens of the universe, as they're still complete souls compared to the splintered ones of the shards.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Leal posted:

This is a medieval society. I don't think peasants in 800 A.D. France got to hit up ye olde mcdonald's cause a farthing could get you a mead, a mutton chop and some haggis compared to getting a single apple for a sovereign. I don't think king george hit up planet fitness between bouts of hunting in his forest for pigs.

Reminder: Fatness was a plus in medieval society cause it meant you actually had wealth to eat.

Final Fantasy, as much as it leans on medieval fantasy storytelling tropes, is not a piece of medieval literature, and its writing tends to reflect on modern day culture more than it does the time period it's superficially based upon.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Leal posted:

The story was written today.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

The story was written today.

And?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Violently Car posted:

probably post ShB

I think this info all dates to stormblood at the latest, but spoilered anyway

he did, but he gave it back... think it was towards the end of the 3.0 msq around your chat with tiamat. the whole story isn't entirely clear (yet), but middy is from another planet, from which he fled as omega blew it up. upon landing on hydaelyn he made some kind of pact with her for letting his brood settle there that gives him the ability/right to futz with the blessing.

Rand Brittain posted:

(Part of the problem is tying "obesity" to "the gluttonous rich", which is basically the opposite of how obesity works in real life, where obesity is most common among the poor who can't afford decent food, gym memberships, or health care.)

it is generally known, I think, that late-stage capitalism comes with a couple contradictions

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Anyway, Alisaie can add Dead Girlfriend to the list of tropes associated with her own hero's journey now, I guess.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

World War Mammories posted:

I think this info all dates to stormblood at the latest, but spoilered anyway

he did, but he gave it back... think it was towards the end of the 3.0 msq around your chat with tiamat. the whole story isn't entirely clear (yet), but middy is from another planet, from which he fled as omega blew it up. upon landing on hydaelyn he made some kind of pact with her for letting his brood settle there that gives him the ability/right to futz with the blessing.

He didn't give it back, you broke through whatever mechanism he put in place to block you from having it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nodosaur posted:

Lol I'm also someone that was bullied for being overweight please don't try and make this about some skinny bitch being mean to you.

It's okay that a story has a fat person be evil it turns out the two overweight characters in the story are there to show that their appearance and weight doesn't mean their actions that do.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
ESBR
Final Fantasy XIV

Content Descriptors: Alcohol Reference, Animated Blood, Language, Suggestive Themes, Violence, Gluttony

Sorry, for content, take that list and remove everything that might be triggering to people and you'll end up playing Wizard 101.

central dogma fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 6, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Lol I'm also someone that was bullied for being overweight please don't try and make this about some skinny bitch being mean to you.

"I am also part of this group and am not personally offended" doesn't mean the fiction itself is beyond reproach, nor was I speaking solely in response to you. It's not just about "skinny people being mean to you", this kind of stuff happens with or without people meaning offense all the time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

central dogma posted:

ESBR
Final Fantasy XIV

Content Descriptors: Alcohol Reference, Animated Blood, Language, Suggestive Themes, Violence, Gluttony

Whats the seventh deadly sin?

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Leal posted:

Whats the seventh deadly sin?

First week after expansion drops? Sloth :(

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

central dogma posted:

First week after expansion drops? Sloth :(

Oh I hear you on that :respek: :effort:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Nodosaur posted:

Anyway, Alisaie can add Dead Girlfriend to the list of tropes associated with her own hero's journey now, I guess.

is this really what you took away from that character's arc...? do you spend a lot of time on the tvtropes wiki?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

World War Mammories posted:

is this really what you took away from that character's arc...? do you spend a lot of time on the tvtropes wiki?

They were lesbians, Harold.