Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Aw man, the end of Look to Windward Will you be my twin in this? If you will be my mate. That part hit me. Since this was the last Culture book I haven't read, I knew enough of the patterns to kinda guess where it would go, but that did not make it any less enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

General Battuta posted:

Caitlin Starling’s THE LUMINOUS DEAD completely blindsided me, it’s very good and has been ruining my sleep schedule. A woman does the stupidest worst thing ever and agrees to go into a cave. But it’s not just a regular-rear end cave it’s on an alien planet and you have to wear a suit to prevent you from emitting any heat or air or anything because there’s something in these caves that murders anyone it detects.

Her employer also has total control over her suit, including the ability to edit what she sees. Said employer is also cagey about exactly what she wants our hero to do and exactly how many people have died trying to do it. Their evolving relationship is really the heart of the book, but the rest of the book’s organs are made of pure cave terror.

The technical caving details are very convincing too, which is uncomfortable because it reminds me that there are people who actually want to do this. gently caress caves and ever going into them.

soooold

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

General Battuta posted:

Caitlin Starling’s THE LUMINOUS DEAD completely blindsided me, it’s very good and has been ruining my sleep schedule. A woman does the stupidest worst thing ever and agrees to go into a cave. But it’s not just a regular-rear end cave it’s on an alien planet and you have to wear a suit to prevent you from emitting any heat or air or anything because there’s something in these caves that murders anyone it detects.

Her employer also has total control over her suit, including the ability to edit what she sees. Said employer is also cagey about exactly what she wants our hero to do and exactly how many people have died trying to do it. Their evolving relationship is really the heart of the book, but the rest of the book’s organs are made of pure cave terror.

The technical caving details are very convincing too, which is uncomfortable because it reminds me that there are people who actually want to do this. gently caress caves and ever going into them.

Seconding this. This book creeped me the gently caress out

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

I think I need to read the poo poo out of this when I finish Children of Ruin.

I read this whole trilogy a while back and it was good stuff, lots of alien politics and solving problems with science administration skills. Czerneda works in some kind of subtle jabs at the annoyances of academia but ultimately values and supports her protagonist's skills and capability and makes the aliens and their mystery interesting.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

StrixNebulosa posted:

Finished Julie E Czerneda's Survival, first book of her Species Imperative trilogy last night and holy moly this book is so much fun. It's about a salmon researcher in an utopian future earth who spends at least half the book not wanting to get dragged into the sci-fi thriller taking place around her, because salmon! She wants to stay on earth and study fish! This is written to be (thankfully) hilarious instead of frustrating, and I was genuinely saddened when we left the salmon behind to get into alien business...but my sadness lifted quickly because it turned into a very Cherryh-esque "adapt to the aliens via understanding and suffering" sequence, capped with our poor salmon researcher being trapped on a starship full of aliens who don't understand that humans need water to survive.

:stare:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Finished Julie E Czerneda's Survival, first book of her Species Imperative trilogy last night and holy moly this book is so much fun. It's about a salmon researcher in an utopian future earth who spends at least half the book not wanting to get dragged into the sci-fi thriller taking place around her, because salmon! She wants to stay on earth and study fish! This is written to be (thankfully) hilarious instead of frustrating, and I was genuinely saddened when we left the salmon behind to get into alien business...but my sadness lifted quickly because it turned into a very Cherryh-esque "adapt to the aliens via understanding and suffering" sequence, capped with our poor salmon researcher being trapped on a starship full of aliens who don't understand that humans need water to survive.

Yeah it was good, the Cherryh comparison is spot on. I felt the first half dragged and the romance felt a little forced, but the main alien guy was well developed and the revelations toward the end were suitably creepy/body horror-ish.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

I just finished reading The Outside by Ada Hoffmann, and it's a fairly entertaining read. The Singularity happens...and instead of a non-scarcity society we instead end up with a dozen AI-God's that devour our souls, human ingenuity is based on vacuum-tube computers and oh, yeah, there is Chaos/Cthulhu/The Outside.

Little Evianna is a personable child, extremely bright and curious for a three-year-old, quirky but friendly, cheerful, and largely aware of her surroundings. To the untrained eye, almost nothing is wrong. The heresy is not apparent until she begins to tell a story, or to complete a simple perception inventory – and then suddenly it’s everywhere. Stimuli are perceived before they appear, or their prior locations are pointed to interchangeably with present ones. Basic foundations of perceptual cognition, such as occlusion, perspective, scale, even causality are ignored. It is as though she sees everything at once, all the time. She likely does not yet even realize that such perceptions set her in opposition to the Gods, placing her on an inevitable path to the most perilous and destructive heresies. If treatment is successful, perhaps she never will.
There is one aspect of Evianna’s case that I admit gives me pause. Children like this are usually overwhelmed into immobility by sheer existence. Evianna is the opposite. Curious, friendly, personable to a fault; her parents dote on her, and even the intake nurses are charmed. I could say that it is a miracle she functions and connects to the world so well, but I think it is really the reverse: she is so connected, so in tune with what is around her that she cannot help but connect in heretical ways too.
It is a pity, then, that we will need to beat all of that out of her.
FROM THE CASE FILES OF ANIRTHA NAIABRIM,CLINICAL CHILD PSYCHOLOGIST AND SELL-SOUL TO NEMESIS

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

occamsnailfile posted:

I read this whole trilogy a while back and it was good stuff, lots of alien politics and solving problems with science administration skills. Czerneda works in some kind of subtle jabs at the annoyances of academia but ultimately values and supports her protagonist's skills and capability and makes the aliens and their mystery interesting.

As a huge Cherryh fan this sounds so far up my alley it's starting to bore through the wall at the end, so thanks for the recommendation!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

General Battuta posted:

I read a ton of horror and this was the first book in a long, long time to creep me out. Mind you, it's not particularly scary, but Starling captures the feeling of claustrophobia extremely well. I loved it, best book I've read this year.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Cicero posted:

As was previously announced, you can find all of Will Wight's individual ebooks free today: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=will+wight&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

The Cradle series is pretty popular, it's basically a Xianxia (Chinese fantasy) adventure, except minus a lot of the shittier/dumber tropes common in the genre.

Technically all his fantasy stuff is in a shared luuniverse ala Sanderson, but IIRC there hasn't been any actual cross-over yet.

So, I picked up the Elder Empire series and probably some of the best KU stuff I’ve read in a minute outside of Shaefer, maybe just as good. Interesting concept having the same story told from two perspectives I thought I would hate but ended up really liking. Everyone is the hero of their own story, indeed.

Oh also, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that one character has a chibi Cthulhu as a pet. And it’s adorable.

navyjack fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 8, 2019

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

navyjack posted:

So, I picked up the Elder Empire series and probably some of the best KU stuff I’ve read in a minute outside of Shaefer, maybe just as good. Interesting concept having the same story told from two perspectives I thought I would hate but ended up really liking. Everyone is the hero of their own story, indeed.

Oh also, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that one character has a chibi Cthulhu as a pet. And it’s adorable.

Is that the one where there is two versions of each book?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

navyjack posted:

KU?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm guessing Kindle Unlimited

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

Is that the one where there is two versions of each book?

Yes, still one more double book to go, don't know if it'll be be finished though.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

branedotorg posted:

Yes, still one more double book to go, don't know if it'll be be finished though.

He seems to write fairly fast, though the Elder Empire series is seeming to take longer, he tends to churn out the Cradle books at a decent rate. He is also fairly active on his subreddit and blog with updates. He posted a couple weeks ago that he was vanishing to focus on Elder Empire.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Read The Luminous Dead yesterday on the recommendation of this thread and greatly enjoyed it, also gently caress cave diving forever.

I like that neither you nor the characters ever really figure out everything that's going on down there but my personal theory is the cave is super loving haunted. I mean it could be alien brain spores but that wouldn't explain all the people who presumably did not decide that opening their helmet/drinking the spore-water was a great idea.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Read 120~ pages of Sarah Zettel's Reclamation and dropped out after she swapped povs for the fifth time and it began to look like she wanted to spend more time with the magical humans on a backwards planet than in the interesting sci-fi universe she'd constructed. If you want me to get invested in a plot, maybe don't change it every 20-40 pages? Maybe?

Now I'm trying her Playing God as it's much more up my alley and I cannot wait for this plan to self-destruct - "let's put this entire population of aliens recently out of multiple civil wars into orbital colonies while we humans fix up their planet from plague and ecological disaster" sounds good, but I'm waiting for the shoe to drop.

Also just bought Species Imperative #2 by Julie E Czerneda and I'm excited to see more of this salmon researcher, I almost wish I'd splurged for fast shipping, but... no, no. I will be calm. I will finish at least one more book before it arrives...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I ordered Wheel of Time 2 from ebay, as a paperback.

I got the trade paperback, it's bigger than my house I swear to god. Sellers should put warning signs on these massive things.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I got the trade paperback, it's bigger than my house I swear to god. Sellers should put warning signs on these massive things.

The Swedish translation of WOT had every English book divided and released as two books.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I was at an antique store recently and saw a massive Brandon Sanderson paperback and thought, it must be uncomfortable to tote that thing around, and to read it

Better thick paperbacks with a small footprint than those that are like a foot long tho

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Girth over length in all things.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

I was at an antique store recently and saw a massive Brandon Sanderson paperback and thought, it must be uncomfortable to tote that thing around, and to read it

Better thick paperbacks with a small footprint than those that are like a foot long tho

Amen, even if the small paperbacks are fat as hell. My Von Bek omnibus is a fat little thing but it still fits into my pockets and is easy to read while walking my pooch. WoT 2 meanwhile is going to be a read-at-home book, which is...fine, but annoying.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

StrixNebulosa posted:

He insisted until near his death that which was broken up into three books would be one book, it turned out to be about a million words. He kept saying they'd need to invent new printing technology.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

StrixNebulosa posted:

Read 120~ pages of Sarah Zettel's Reclamation and dropped out after she swapped povs for the fifth time and it began to look like she wanted to spend more time with the magical humans on a backwards planet than in the interesting sci-fi universe she'd constructed. If you want me to get invested in a plot, maybe don't change it every 20-40 pages? Maybe?

Now I'm trying her Playing God as it's much more up my alley and I cannot wait for this plan to self-destruct - "let's put this entire population of aliens recently out of multiple civil wars into orbital colonies while we humans fix up their planet from plague and ecological disaster" sounds good, but I'm waiting for the shoe to drop.

My favorite of hers is Fool's War. I liked it much better than those other two. It's an interesting plot, in an interesting setting, with interesting characters. It's got a good twist and a lot of neat ideas. I particularly like "Ship's lawyer" being an important role for a trading vessel.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Apologies as I'm sure this has already been discussed somewhere in this thread, but can those who have read James Islington's Licanius series (Shadow of What Was Lost, Echo of Things to Come) let me know what you thought?

He's compared a lot to Jordan and Sanderson, and Sanderson recommended the series.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Cardiac posted:

The Swedish translation of WOT had every English book divided and released as two books.

This is not unusual. Translations tend to end up significantly longer than the original text, in any case; so books that are already long as hell often exceed the limit of sanity.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I had a paperback copy of Perdido Street Station that just barely fit in my ACU trouser's cargo pocket when I was going through combat lanes in prep for Iraq. The spine split three ways. Someone found a loose page on the range. I didnt fess up, but I enjoyed the total bafflement on their face watching them read it. Hopefully it was one of the brothel scenes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

mllaneza posted:

My favorite of hers is Fool's War. I liked it much better than those other two. It's an interesting plot, in an interesting setting, with interesting characters. It's got a good twist and a lot of neat ideas. I particularly like "Ship's lawyer" being an important role for a trading vessel.

Excellent, I have that and Quiet Invasion by her as well. Assuming I'm still in the mood for her stuff when I finish Playing God I'll move onto Fool's War.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

occamsnailfile posted:

seconded, would recommend

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

Apologies as I'm sure this has already been discussed somewhere in this thread, but can those who have read James Islington's Licanius series (Shadow of What Was Lost, Echo of Things to Come) let me know what you thought?

He's compared a lot to Jordan and Sanderson, and Sanderson recommended the series.

The first one is the most generic book in the world. It might be okay if you’ve never read a fantasy book before. I got about a hundred pages in before giving up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've been enjoying Seven Blades in Black by Sam Sykes. He's also a top tier shitposter on Twitter.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Literally the only man alive (well, him and Chuck Wendig, through the same thread) to get a movie deal for his tweets.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Went to my used bookstore and got WoT 3-5 and a few other things, primarily The Seer by Sonia Orin Lyris. A standalone high fantasy written recently by a lady? Sign me up.

Also, surprisingly for Baen, the cover is baller:

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

General Battuta posted:

Literally the only man alive (well, him and Chuck Wendig, through the same thread) to get a movie deal for his tweets.

And it was a really bad movie.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Totally forgot that Migration was the first in that series. I was surprisingly non-big on the overarching plot, since it seems like it would push all my buttons.

Teh Madd Hatter
May 26, 2008
Does anyone here have a resource or recommendations for fantasy books that are written by non-westerners or have been translated to English? Specifically, my book group was wanting to read more things that have been translateds to English/are from a non-Euro/American perspective. Zafon was the only author that came to mind for translated works but doesn't quite fit the non-euro category.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Teh Madd Hatter posted:

Does anyone here have a resource or recommendations for fantasy books that are written by non-westerners or have been translated to English? Specifically, my book group was wanting to read more things that have been translateds to English/are from a non-Euro/American perspective. Zafon was the only author that came to mind for translated works but doesn't quite fit the non-euro category.

Dictionary of the Khazars by Milorad Pavic. Not strictly fantasy genre but it contains a lot of elements of fantasy and is...

....damnit! Serbia is Western! And so is Germany, so there goes my other rec.

Read any Vampire Hunter D? Surprisingly fun/creepy horror novels by a Japanese novelist.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Teh Madd Hatter posted:

everything in the Witcher series

can't remember what language Stanislaw Lem wrote in

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Lem was Polish too. read Cyberiad. not exactly "fantasy" but it isn't hard sci fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

Read any Vampire Hunter D? Surprisingly fun/creepy horror novels by a Japanese novelist.

I remember reading one several years back because I really liked the second movie (which is unironically a good movie by non-anime standards and has a minimum of annoying animu stuff -- probably helps it was written in English which would've minimised awkward translations). My memory is that there was some cool stuff mixed in with things that seemed embarrassingly juvenile. Probably some of it was the translation and that what I read was one of the early books.