Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

all the super 6 teams are being set up as new semi-pro franchises with central funding, full time coaches, and links with the academies. so the standard should in theory be higher than the current scottish prem sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's... good? Who's paying for it?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

part grants from the sru. part funded by the franchises themselves. they had a competitive tendering process so the chosen six should be able to met their commitments. though idk if i'd trust the sru to do have done their sums right.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

So the Super 6 sides should be a bit of a level above the Welsh Prem?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Yeah it should be good, Stirling County is my old team so go to see them getting a spot. It's a bit weird that they will also have club XVs, going into National 1 as well.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are there any requirements in bringing new blood through etc? I assume the SRU want this to generate players.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
With them working with the academies, it's meant to be a stepping stone from club rugby to full professional for players and coaches. How it works out is yet to be seen as the SRU are basically useless at organising anything.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/rugbyworldcup/status/1146684232737144832

Japan have revealed their jersey for the RWC and it looks loving awesome.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Vaders Jester posted:

Japan have revealed their jersey for the RWC and it looks loving awesome.

In keeping with the rugby tradition of "New Zealand Are The Best At Everything"..

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like a collar on the shirt.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
The jerseys are up for order on the official webite, along with lots of other tat, from your country of choice.

https://shop.rugbyworldcup.com/

I'm probably not going to be able to resist buying the baseball cap that just says "Ueeruzu" on the back of it.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

goatface posted:

I like a collar on the shirt.

Yeah why the Hell is there no collar???

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The springboks Jersey is all kinds of hideous.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

The England shirt is completely white, except for a patch announcing that they won the 2003 World Cup sewn onto the shoulder.

gently caress England.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Tyma posted:

The England shirt is completely white, except for a patch announcing that they won the 2003 World Cup sewn onto the shoulder.

gently caress England.

All teams have the cups won on their shoulders.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Chief posted:

All teams have the cups won on their shoulders.

Australia's is a reminder that we really haven't been good at rugby in 2 decades.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

algebra testes posted:

Australia's is a reminder that we really haven't been good at rugby in 2 decades.

Southern Hemisphere Rugby Privilege dot text.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tyma posted:

gently caress England.

That's been part of the World Cup kits since 2007. It's like the stars on the previous winners' kits at the football world cups.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Madkal posted:

The springboks Jersey is all kinds of hideous.

That stripe should really accentuate props boring in.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The Welsh jersey comes with the stench of failure :(

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

bessantj posted:

The Welsh jersey comes with the stench of failure :(

Yeah! I'm really glad that I'm Italian, now!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like the Australia away strip for just going right in for the strong graphic. I respect that.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Super Rugby was so boring this year no one even commented on the final.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I literally forgot it was even on.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Yeah I was going to make my return to the thread to discuss it, but it looks like no one else cares to so :shrug:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Anyway, there's a big Sevens tournament going on this weekend at Cape Fear (yes it's a real place) and you can watch a stream tomorrow on the event's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/fear7s/

Given that USA Eagles Sevens is actually a good team these days this might be worth watching to get a sense of players (at least in the elite divisions) who may be on the roster in the coming years.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I watched it, Jaguares came close to scoring a try to make it interesting but couldn't put it all together I am afraid.

Was really a better game than the score suggested imo.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Real final was last week.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I missed it, because I was playing in a tournament at a Rugby / Drum n Bass festival.

At half time, someone ran onto the pitch to hand me a water bottle and a spliff :shepface:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I missed it because I was on a dinner date with a journalist.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i just bothered to watch it, yeah there could've been one or two argentinajaguares tries i spose, too bad there weren't

not that i know anything about rugby. hi im an american, i watch rugby via download, ill probably go to a super rugby game in australia in like april, uh, i have a wallabies hat, nothing else to say really

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

oystertoadfish posted:

hi im an american, i watch rugby via download

:same:

But have you tried watching MLR? It's pretty legit. More legit than, like, every other attempt at pro rugby in the US because, and this is crucial, it has lasted more than one season.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I was at a wedding so missed it but the air of numbing inevitability about the Crusaders meant I wasn't particularly bothered.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Apollodorus posted:

:same:

But have you tried watching MLR? It's pretty legit. More legit than, like, every other attempt at pro rugby in the US because, and this is crucial, it has lasted more than one season.

i haven't! i just went ahead and grabbed the championship game from this year. i hope it gains traction

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48940831

Springbok James Small has died at the age of 50. Far too young.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48940831

Springbok James Small has died at the age of 50. Far too young.

Yikes, that is young.

Genia retiring from test rugby after the world cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=214lBNxwYr4

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/six-nations-will-no-longer-be-shown-exclusively-on-free-to-air-tv

bollocks to cvc

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Bollocks indeed. Rugby can join cricket as the exclusive domain of the posh

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
yeah it's been bad enough during the cricket world cup hearing all the broadcasters spouting the same bollocks about how much good Sky has done for the game (by preventing most people from watching it)

can't wait for the same thing to happen to RU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I look forward to CVC moving matches to countries with appalling human rights records like they did with F1. Should be 10/10 viewing.