Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Delamore posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/kenshi/mods/60
Pretty much the one mod you should have regardless of how you play

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I enjoy this game, but it has the unfortunate feature of making my computer run every single fan mounted in it at what sounds like full speed, as soon as the game is started. Reminds me of the first Witcher game in that regard, come to think of it. I'll admit my desktop computer is getting on in the years, but of all the games I play, even ones my computer struggle with, no other game makes my PC sound like it's about to take off from the airport.

Also I wish it would stop the occasional crash when picking up bodies.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There are some things you can do to optimize game performance. First of all, reduce visibility of things like grass and clutter. Second, uncheck the "fast switch" option, that frees up tons of RAM. Finally, install the downscaled textures mod, it hard overwrites textures with something that looks nearly as good but with only a quarter the memory footprint.

Also, make sure you keep on vsync. If you do all that, it should already help a bunch.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ant other mods people reccomend?

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 6, 2019

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Compressed Textures helps performance a lot. Dark UI makes the game a little prettier.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I like DarkUI for the improved readability and the reduced eyestrain and would certainly recommend it as well.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Dark UI is nice but it doesn't seem to play well with my 16:10 monitor. It clips off text in the stat menu and a few other oddities. I don't know how common it is since no one seems to use this size anymore, just FYI.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Man I can’t find Longen or Tengu now that I’m at war with the UC. I was trying to kidnap them but they didn’t spawn in Heft or Traders Edge.

Should I import?

If I check all the “Preserve Dead NPCs” and relations options, what will importing do? Will it screw up my game?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

space uncle posted:

If I check all the “Preserve Dead NPCs” and relations options, what will importing do? Will it screw up my game?
It means that named NPCs that you have killed or that have died from other circumstances will remain dead. I think the relationship option only affects your actual relationship values as seen on the Factions screen, not the world-state (wars etc.) but I haven't tried that.

If you want your game world to get fixed and for NPCs to be where they belong again, you should obviously deactivate those. Your old save will be preserved, importing does not delete anything, but if you import everything, whatever is gone will of course stay gone.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
I just bought the game during the summer sale and I'm having a blast that said the grind for stats is a real pain. I've set up a home in Squin and have 5 or so followers of varying poo poo tiers and I'm just slowly mining copper to build up my tech and research all these nice training dummies & weight benches... a shame theres no stationary bike or treadmill tho.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

space uncle posted:

Man I can’t find Longen or Tengu now that I’m at war with the UC. I was trying to kidnap them but they didn’t spawn in Heft or Traders Edge.

Should I import?

Sometimes the nobles won't respawn like they should if you take out the slave camps and trigger an override to put their cities into riot/famine mode. If the game had them logged as actually dead, their towns would be in the hands of opposing factions. I'd say try importing with preserved dead NPCs and relations first, otherwise you'll have to restart your entire campaign against the UC. If it doesn't work, you can import again without those options

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've always found the smoothest and least grind-y starts to be centered around crossbow use. One guy with a good crossbow can kill just about anything via kiting. If you've got 5-10 guys with lovely crossbows, you can function reasonably well in any early game combat even with garbage quality people. Your guys will also rapidly gain both dexterity and perception, which translates well to using edged weapons and turrets.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

kidkissinger posted:

Ant other mods people reccomend?

These 3 are worth getting regardless of how you play
"Nice Map" comes in a few different versions, grid + zone + zone names is the one I prefer

"Lets Talk" makes NPCs repeat their conversations which is nice when you missed it the first time, or just to avoid the dead silence that can happen when your NPCs have exhausted all their dialog options

"Dark UI" Really improves the look of the UI

And these are more a choice, but don't change the base game much.
"New storage and stuff" Is good if you find yourself building the massive cities that the 256 recruit limit allows, it adds upgrade options for storage that cost more. Clutters the build menu though, but uses up materials you don't use much otherwise like gears and spring steel.

"Longer Mercenary Contracts" makes it so you can hire the random merc groups for up to 30 days, for 30k so it's the same price per day but you don't have to constantly rehire them.

"Better Crop Fences" Just changes the look of the fences around crops, I hated the old ones

"Immersive Furniture" For when you want to deck out your base and do your doll house thing

"Skeleton Limb Storage" Does what it says, allows you to automatically produce limbs without manually emptying the machine because your NPCs will automatically store them here.

These 2 are closer to cheating, at least they do change up how you play slightly
"Copper Mines" Another sort of cheaty mod that allows you to build copper mining machines so you don't just have to mine surface rock

"Annies Stacks And Bags" Can be considered a cheat mod, probably best to wait until you've played enough to be tired of how normal bags function, makes all bags stack like traders bags and makes them slightly bigger so they can hold long
weapons. Everything weighs the same, it just means you do a lot less inventory tetris and trading stuff between dudes.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Cardiovorax posted:

There are some things you can do to optimize game performance. First of all, reduce visibility of things like grass and clutter. Second, uncheck the "fast switch" option, that frees up tons of RAM. Finally, install the downscaled textures mod, it hard overwrites textures with something that looks nearly as good but with only a quarter the memory footprint.

Also, make sure you keep on vsync. If you do all that, it should already help a bunch.

Fast switch was disabled by default from what I remember, not sure what vsync was set to. I'll give the texture mod thing a try though, hopefully it'll stop my computer from having a fit. It's a 3.5 GHz i7-3770K with 16GB of RAM and an old GTX 680. It's so sad seeing what used to be a close to top end PC fall by the wayside.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

AG3 posted:

Fast switch was disabled by default from what I remember, not sure what vsync was set to. I'll give the texture mod thing a try though, hopefully it'll stop my computer from having a fit. It's a 3.5 GHz i7-3770K with 16GB of RAM and an old GTX 680. It's so sad seeing what used to be a close to top end PC fall by the wayside.
Except for the GPU I've got similar specs and no problems like that, so I'm sure that messing around with the configuration can solve your problem. Check out your heat sinks as well, make sure they aren't clogged with dust or something. That makes more of a difference than you'd think.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

another mod I would recommend is the mining uses strength mod. This makes mining (on a resource not a drill) train strength instead labouring. I like it because it just makes sense, and it makes strength training a bit easier

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

EmbryoSteve posted:

another mod I would recommend is the mining uses strength mod. This makes mining (on a resource not a drill) train strength instead labouring. I like it because it just makes sense, and it makes strength training a bit easier

i always thought this was odd that swinging a pick all day wasn't making my people stronger, i will use this and all of the other recommended mods, thanks!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I find this mod to be absolutely indispensable.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I just got this game on GoG last week. It is and ugly mess that constantly crashes. I don't think I like it, but still ended up staying up till 3am the past two nights playing it.

After 40+ game days my guys can sort of just barely hold their own vs starving bandits. I'm so happy to no longer be beaten up and losing all my food.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I hate baka things.

CopperHound posted:

I just got this game on GoG last week. It is and ugly mess that constantly crashes. I don't think I like it, but still ended up staying up till 3am the past two nights playing it.

After 40+ game days my guys can sort of just barely hold their own vs starving bandits. I'm so happy to no longer be beaten up and losing all my food.

Try buying a shack in a city somewhere and keeping your food there.

I added a shitload of mods to add cities and expand the world, and reimported my save. I'm interested to see how they go. I've already found some random pirates wandering around the desert, which was kind of cute.

Clark Nova - you were right. Tengu and Longen correctly spawned after the import and I was able to assassinate them both. Spoiler below for pissing off the United Cities. Unfortunately the import wiped out the large amount of random NPCs that got stuck in my base over the last 100 days, as well as the army of malfunctioning robots that I had lovingly outfitted with stolen gear.

Eyegore scared the absolute poo poo out of me, but a combination of ninja pickpocket harassment of his army, the anti-slavers intercepting them, and 4 Double-Harpoon turrets made the fight much easier than I was anticipating. I've currently got him locked up to use as a training dummy.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
For people who have crashes, if you're playing multiple hours or doing lots of saving and loading make sure you restart the game every now and then. The game seems to have a memory leak so it eventually crashes but not always so not sure what causes it to use more memory.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Lone Badger posted:

If you want lots of meat send a person and a bull to the hive villages. The guards are always killing beak-things and gorillos for you to harvest.

If you just want food send someone with around 30 thievery to just about any holy nation bar, the entrance barrels have like 75 ration packs.

Or go to the bar in squin, I encumbered 3 bulls cleaning out the upstairs food storage.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

At some point you'll start to get a feel for when a crash is coming on. Usually it'll take longer to load areas, especially if you're switching between squads on two different points of the map. Usually every three hours or so I'll restart, or every hour if I'm doing a TON of traveling across multiple squads because that's what'll really do you in. If you're just hanging out in your base or in Rebirth you can safely cruise without worry, pretty much.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, the game is actually pretty stable most of the time, except for one thing: running out of memory. OOM means instant crash, but that can be minimized by using lower texture settings and deactivating quick swap.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Mine just crashes every 5 minutes regardless of what i'm doing now. Got steadily worse and even reinstalling the game didn't fix it. Really loving weird. I'm using my streaming PC too so its not exactly low spec.

At some point i'm gonna entirely wipe the PC and see if that fixes it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

People have reported that the latest patches are causing some issues for them. Seems to have done a number of stability. Have you updated recently? If you can, try downgrading by a few versions.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

should i have dedicated "blockers" mixed in with my melee units

guys that just taunt and have foreign sabres?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

kidkissinger posted:

should i have dedicated "blockers" mixed in with my melee units

guys that just taunt and have foreign sabres?

So the way combat works is that attack animations are actual hitboxes, it's not just an animation. So, bigger weapons will hit in an AoE around the user, but smaller weapons have a smaller AoE. Some enemies like Beak Things have notoriously huge attack hitboxes and will slam a huge cluster of dudes at a time. In regards to your question, no - because even if you've got one dude blocking and taunting, the person attacking him is still going to cause AoE to the people standing around them. Blocking is best done with a team of archers, so you don't have any melee units in the collateral zone. The best strategy for melee is to have as many units attacking as possible so you can stunlock the enemy

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'd disagree with you there. If you are willing to take the time to manually position your units, having a dedicated taunt-blocker can in fact be a very good idea. I particularly like to use them in large skirmishes against hordes of weak enemies - like for example cannibals. A dedicated defender who grabs the attention of the horde and keeps it can give you breathing room, space to maneuver and even allow for sudden backstabs. In addition, it gives you a chance to treat and pick up any injured or unconscious characters, which is not something you'll often need to do during a fight, but when you need to, you really need to.

Personally, I consider the clever use of those commands one of the most important things to master if you want to really punch above your weight class.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
Something I noticed really late in my playthrough is that 1 guy vs 5 beak things will do a much better job than 2 guys vs 5 beak things
I noticed it when it turned out my solo scouts could kill them with much lower skills than it took when I originally used my whole party, what makes them strong is the AoE on their attacks.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yup, the first guy to get hit by an AoE attack has a chance to block/dodge it, everyone after them just eats poo poo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

everyone else gets free toughness experience

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

There's only two enemies that are really worth doing tons of micro on and Beak Things are one of them. This is a well-known trick but you can just put a guy on each of the thing's four corners and move whichever one is about to get hit out of the way while the other three attack. Any more than that and someone's getting hit. The other one is a solo humanoid with a Heavy Weapon, but you can only do one in front and one behind. I've killed broken robots guarding Ancient Labs this way. Otherwise, the hitboxes are too big to be reliable.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

everyone else gets free toughness experience

this guy gets it. so much micro management in this game sometimes. last thing I want to do is micro manage my melee squad to fight beak things. loving just send them all in. you get hit you get hit. as long as you can actually kill the beak thing just let them get hosed up. they will get less hosed up next time ( optional)

in my current play through I am collecting all the minor bandit/faction bosses and trying to recruit them for my eventual large scale wars. Got the dust king, red sabre dude, swamp ninja person, black dragon twin leaders, and a couple black/swamp ninja jonin so far. got flying bull sitting in a cage at my base right now, grinding down his will. Only one I turned in was the was Tora the Fearless b/c band of bones hosed me so hard during the early game a couple of times so gently caress her and I wanted to build rep with the shek but turning her in only got my rep up to +4 wtf this is a dishonorable bandit and I brought her right too you...

Pros of converting these bosses is instant mid tier fighters for when I eventually plan to start battling factions and kind of fun story crafting of uniting the leaders of all the little fish to take on the big fish (at least the little fish in the center of the continent). Cons are everyone has a bounty (some huge like 30k) so they all get masked helmets no matter what. It is fun leading raiding parties into camps to kidnap these guys/gals. I was pretty unsure how the New Kralia fight would go as flying bull reportedly had a host of like 20 krals chosen (whose stats are similar to my parties). luckily they picked a fight with a caravan that went into their base and my guys are decked out in decent armor/weapons, so I took attacked in the middle of that business and they only ended up downing one guy by cutting off his leg. Next plan is to kidnap leader of the hounds and allow chaos to ensue in the swamp. After I've got her I think it may be time to start agitating HN.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I've found the best way to do fights is to have one guy in ninja rags run up ahead of everyone else and when someone tries to murder him tell everyone to stop except for that one guy who has to run back to the group. Some things are really stupid and won't change targets until they've already been attacked.

Mod question: I can build SIII and SIV buildings. But my guys are suffering from cargo-cultism where all the ones they found in the wild had mold stains and broken windows, so ours do too. Are there any mods for a cleaned up skin on the new buildings?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Your beep is approximately an order or magnitude stronger than my beep. He is just now learning that there are women in his squad.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Been thinking of getting this lately(mainly due to rhadamants lp of it that randomly showed up in my recommended), I know you can make bases, but can you make proper towns? Like, places that exists for more reasons than to be attacked, like traders and other rando npcs showing up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you’re along roads traders and random visitors absolutely turn up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
There's also a few mods that increase the market side of the bases, and I'm pretty sure recruitable people show up now and again

I haven't played with bases too much yet, I just make bank selling skeleton repair kits to the hub and bought everything I needed from armor king and the scrapyard