Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Also dualing to druid is generally pretty unfeasible if you don't cheat your stats because they require both 17 wisdom AND charisma.

But yeah berserker/druid is fun. Just please dual no later than level 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Or you can do it later and everyone gets to enjoy your pain.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Berserker->druid not too bad if you start in BG1, since there are three wisdom tomes. BG2 you're going to have to dump int hard to get the necessary stats

It's also probably my fav class combo so I do it often.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

rocketrobot posted:

I prefer wizard slayer-> thief with a longbow (and some shortbow levels from thief training). I usually dual class when they get to 5* in longbow.

Berkserker->druid is also pretty cool since druids level really fast and benefit greatly from armor and weapon options when berserker reactivates. If you're playing IWD, you can shapeshift into a berserk polar bear or elemental if you get silenced or something. Which is fun.

Interesting, not sure I’ve ever heard of anyone playing a Wiz Slayer. How does that handle as a dual class?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Suspicious posted:

Also dualing to druid is generally pretty unfeasible if you don't cheat your stats because they require both 17 wisdom AND charisma.

But yeah berserker/druid is fun. Just please dual no later than level 9.

For my berserker druid I just figured I'd wear the dexterity gauntlets for the whole series and it worked out pretty nicely, or at least I had a very fun time with it!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Dual classes are great of course but multi classes have some nice advantages too.

1) You can have access to your spellcasting for the entire game rather than having to wait a while to do it.

2) There's no awkward period where you're just a gimp spellcaster with no melee ability

3) They get access to both classes high level abilities iirc. A Berserker Druid is not getting Whirlwind or Hardiness which are both nice abilities.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I just can't get behind any sort of fighter/druids in a world where (original unnerfed non-EE) cleric/ranger exists. It's so dumb and I love it.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
But then you have to be a dirty sub-race.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Wizard Styles posted:

"Khalid's body is probably cold by now, get in there!"

Omnipresent authority figure is just another way of her calling you 'Daddy.'

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Finally got around to playing my fighter / wild mage that I edited in with EE Keeper. It was pretty simple to do I started as an unkitted fighter then did all of BG1 and dualed to mage pretty early on in BG2. Then opened up EE keeper and deleted my proficiency I got from Mage and set my level to 0 I didn't want to figure out what my HP total should be so I just said eh whatever and left it at default. Probably only a 4-5 hp difference. Set my kit to wild mage and saved and returned to the game and leveled up to level 1 wild mage. This gave me the spells I needed and wild surges automatically worked without having to change anything but I wasn't getting the one bonus spell per level. A little googling led me to finding out the flag I needed to set to have them work and it's been very smooth ever since.

I haven't really been using the wild mage stuff much so far because I find it a bit unreliable until improved chaos shield at 7th level so mainly been doing self buffs with my real spell slots and not doing crazy cheese with the reckless dweomer. I had forgotten how slow you level with a full party. I tend to play solo so I usually hit epic levels well before getting to Spellhold but right now I'm just struggling to get 7th level spells.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Found an interesting bug in Icewind Dale 2. I’m prancing around the Underdark slaying drider upon drider. My thief dude gets dire charmed and I’ve got a golemn who starts pounding his poo poo in. I cast Otiluke’s Resilient Sphere at my thief to keep him from hurting himself or my party while he’s charmed. After finishing the combat, I rest, and find that while my thief is still in my party, I can’t select him. I can’t access his inventory and parts of his character sheet like the export and customize buttons are greyed out. Finally I found a solution: I dire charmed him which allowed me to get into his inventory and take his things as well as export the character. Then I deleted him from my party and reimported the exporters version I just made. And it worked like a charm!

Not sure if anyone’s run into a situation like this before, but if you have hopefully this works for you too.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

Interesting, not sure I’ve ever heard of anyone playing a Wiz Slayer. How does that handle as a dual class?

I believe it's the same as a fighter/thief for weapon proficiency. That's why I max out longbow before I dual class. I don't think you can get more than 2* in anything even after Wizard Slayer reactivates.

There is some pain until you get UAI. You can't use anything that a Wizard Slayer can't use, even when WS is deactivated. That's really only an issue with items that improve sneaking and I tend to have my ranger handle that. Otherwise, you sit back and peg anything casting a spell with multiple attacks per round. If it doesn't die in 3 hits or so, I usually switch targets anyway if there's another caster as the first target has accumulated at least 75% spell fail chance and isn't really a casting threat anymore.

But after you get UAI, you can use paladin weapons (and about anything else) if you want to be dual wielding a holy avenger with Aihonen's blade in IWD or slashing phase spiders in the face with Carsomyr.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

Finally got around to playing my fighter / wild mage that I edited in with EE Keeper. It was pretty simple to do I started as an unkitted fighter then did all of BG1 and dualed to mage pretty early on in BG2. Then opened up EE keeper and deleted my proficiency I got from Mage and set my level to 0 I didn't want to figure out what my HP total should be so I just said eh whatever and left it at default. Probably only a 4-5 hp difference. Set my kit to wild mage and saved and returned to the game and leveled up to level 1 wild mage. This gave me the spells I needed and wild surges automatically worked without having to change anything but I wasn't getting the one bonus spell per level. A little googling led me to finding out the flag I needed to set to have them work and it's been very smooth ever since.

The recalculate stats button on the bottom left of EE Keeper will figure out how much HP you're supposed to have if you open up the save after you've leveled up from 0. It's what I do whenever I want to use NPCs but hate their class/kit and decide to change them. Probably doesn't matter much for 1 level of Mage like you said though.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

finished my bg1 run, forgot that at the end of isle of balduran they were serious about "no for real you got the wolfman in you tick tock dumbass"

Narrator: congrats you win my dude you boat back to the mainland *load to ulgoth's beard*

whole party: IT'S WOLF TIME BABY AWOOOOO

my boy: OOOH WHAT TH- *ripped apart in half a second*

reload, proceed to SWERVE WOLF FOLK I'M ON THE CLOCK HERE

on to siege of dragonspear which will be a new experience for me

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 8, 2019

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Going from the low point of bg1 to sod will be great

Isle of balduran was pretty bad lol

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I literally shouted "OUT OF MY WAY FUCKER" at my monitor when I reached the chieftain on the escape boat

also lol at the glorified dps check that is karoug

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 8, 2019

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

It puzzles the hell out of me that someone went to the trouble of making an NPC/romance mod for the boy/girl you meet there. Why would you even need a new NPC by that point?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Does IWD2 not have much in the way of protection and magical breaching spells? I’m in the mind flyer base and do not have any type of defense against them aside from murder quickly. It’s worked so far. I never found any spell scrolls that would help here.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Does IWD2 not have much in the way of protection and magical breaching spells? I’m in the mind flyer base and do not have any type of defense against them aside from murder quickly. It’s worked so far. I never found any spell scrolls that would help here.

No. The BG2 mage duels were actually cobbled out of a bunch of different Forgotten Realms sources and 2e D&D supplements; because IWD2 is 3e they had much less to draw upon. They brought back some favourites, though. Freedom of Movement and Chaotic Commands are still a thing as cleric spells, and Restoration will restore stat drain from illithid melee attacks.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Vichan posted:

It puzzles the hell out of me that someone went to the trouble of making an NPC/romance mod for the boy/girl you meet there. Why would you even need a new NPC by that point?

They spent last 15 years never finishing it, though

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Vichan posted:

look getting that lady weeds from just outside her village forged a real emotional connection in some people ok

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What boy/girl romance is this?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

there's a historian in the island village who's the opposite of your character's gender the game kind of railroads you into flirting with if you do some fetch quests for them

it's a total throwaway interaction in the greater scheme of things but I guess somebody really got into it?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

chaosapiant posted:

https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/npcs/delainy/

Apparently it's actually 16 years of unfinishedness.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

thank God I got this sweet new character just in time to face roll sarevok and finish the game.....?

E: oh I guess there were plans to put her in bg2 as well lol

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 8, 2019

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Isle of Balduran is the only part of BG1 I never do.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I think they're one of the villagers who you just need to kill your way through without comment on your way out at the end, lmao

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
(S)he shows you the secret passage to the boat if you've been nice to him/her when the whole village goes loco

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Started IWD:EE since it was like three quid on sale and it's the only Infinity Engine game other than IWD2 I haven't played yet. Gotta say, I'm really enjoying it so far. After doing a marathon run of the Baldurs Gate trilogy it's kind of a nice change of pace to just have some no-frills mass slaughter and the characters and plot they do introduce aren't actually all that bad. It's obviously not going to replace BG but it's much better than I thought it would be.

One thing that confuses me is that I thought this game came out before Baldur's Gate 2, I'm kind of surprised because the spell effects look a lot nicer - surprised they didn't reuse them for the later games. Same goes for Planescape, I guess.

IWD2 won't be getting an EE but I do own it on GoG, is it worth playing once I'm through with this game? Will mods bring it up to standard?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Songbearer posted:

Started IWD:EE since it was like three quid on sale and it's the only Infinity Engine game other than IWD2 I haven't played yet. Gotta say, I'm really enjoying it so far. After doing a marathon run of the Baldurs Gate trilogy it's kind of a nice change of pace to just have some no-frills mass slaughter and the characters and plot they do introduce aren't actually all that bad. It's obviously not going to replace BG but it's much better than I thought it would be.

One thing that confuses me is that I thought this game came out before Baldur's Gate 2, I'm kind of surprised because the spell effects look a lot nicer - surprised they didn't reuse them for the later games. Same goes for Planescape, I guess.

IWD2 won't be getting an EE but I do own it on GoG, is it worth playing once I'm through with this game? Will mods bring it up to standard?

IWD was made by Black Isle, Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 were made by Bioware. I assume that was the reason that Bioware didn't use the assets from IWD; they didn't own them.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

sweet geek swag posted:

IWD was made by Black Isle, Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 were made by Bioware. I assume that was the reason that Bioware didn't use the assets from IWD; they didn't own them.

They did use assets from IWD though, the goblins and orcs for example.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

bike tory posted:

Isle of Balduran is the only part of BG1 I never do.

Good because it's easily the nadir of the entire series.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm not sure how them not being made by Bioware would matter really seeing how both games were published by Interplay. So there wouldn't have been any rights issues.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

netcat posted:

They did use assets from IWD though, the goblins and orcs for example.

I believe the infinity engine version Black Isle got was the same one used in Baldur's Gate 2. So, more assets that in BG1. A long time ago I remember reading a quote from a Bioware employee saying something like, "We didn't understand why we were giving our game to another studio before our content for the sequel was complete"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

Good because it's easily the nadir of the entire series.

I'd rather do ten werewolf isles than ever set foot in Firewine Dungeon again.

Well, maybe not ten.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

docbeard posted:

Well, maybe not ten.

I was in Firewine last night and still kinda dig that super narrow tunnel design. Since you need to inch forward with a thief because the entire place is booby trapped, path finding isn't so much of an issue. I think Ulcaster and the Iceisland/Shandalar ruins are similar in that regard. It probably works better in table top to have such narrow tunnels, but it at least causes me to use tactics outside of the norm since my dudes are so close together.

Also speaking of Firewind, I noticed at the bottom of the map, sort of "left" from where you enter, there is another exit there. I haven't taken it yet, but it's super unmarked and I'd never seen it before. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Suspicious posted:

(S)he shows you the secret passage to the boat if you've been nice to him/her when the whole village goes loco

for me it was the lady whose baby you rescue and the crazy wizard

docbeard posted:

Well, maybe not ten.

I actually liked the claustrophobic tension of the firewine ruins. now the thieves guild maze, that was some bullshit

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Buck Wildman posted:

I actually liked the claustrophobic tension of the firewine ruins. now the thieves guild maze, that was some bullshit

Claustrophobic tension is fine, NO YOU IDIOTS GO THIS WAY moments every three seconds is less so.

Though yeah, the thieves guild maze is worse because it's clearly just there to be a speedbump right before the end.

chaosapiant posted:

Also speaking of Firewind, I noticed at the bottom of the map, sort of "left" from where you enter, there is another exit there. I haven't taken it yet, but it's super unmarked and I'd never seen it before. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's the secret entrance/exit to Firewine from the Gullykin temple/brewery. There are three entrances, that one, the one from the Firewine Ruins surface, and the one from the traitor halfling's house that takes you right to the ogre mage (that an SCS component disables because SCS hates you and wants you to suffer).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

docbeard posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's the secret entrance/exit to Firewine from the Gullykin temple/brewery. There are three entrances, that one, the one from the Firewine Ruins surface, and the one from the traitor halfling's house that takes you right to the ogre mage (that an SCS component disables because SCS hates you and wants you to suffer).

This could very well be it. I'm sure I've gone into the ruins from Gullykin, but not the other way. I remembered the main entrance imbedded in the bridge itself, and the one to the Halfling traitor's house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

This could very well be it. I'm sure I've gone into the ruins from Gullykin, but not the other way. I remembered the main entrance imbedded in the bridge itself, and the one to the Halfling traitor's house.

there were three entrances/exits: the bridge, the gullykin brewery, and the evil halfling's basement

if you were the type to care about in game travel time it's actually a little faster to run through the ruins between gullykin and the bridge than traveling by the map but lol, come on