Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

bitterandtwisted posted:

I supported someone's independence from the Khanate and now the Khan's dead I don't seem able to revoke that. Is that a known bug?

Has the successor to the Khanate appeared yet? Various versions of those can still hold vassals, and the game might not let you revoke until the successor state is in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Aethernet posted:

Has the successor to the Khanate appeared yet? Various versions of those can still hold vassals, and the game might not let you revoke until the successor state is in place.

Appeared and got quickly wiped out

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

bitterandtwisted posted:

Appeared and got quickly wiped out

Must be a bug then. There's probably a console command you can find on the wiki to remove the guarantee, unless you're playing Ironman.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Even if it's Ironman, you can alter the save file, run repair commands in-game with Ironman disabled, and re-ironman it.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

One of my federation allies proposed going to war against that guy and the game let me so problem solved :)

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
It's fun to watch the AI get magic free ships appear out of nowhere, and it's extra fun when one of those spawns happens to be invulnerable. It was just three corvettes, but I just had to tank them continuously until I wiped out the enemy faction entirely.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I found Cockroach Earth in my latest game, but I can't Uplift them, because they don't appear in any of the menus that you need to use to Uplift them. There's another pre-sapient species that's there though, so I think it's because there's another species that uses the roach portrait and they're somehow overwriting the cockroaches.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Deuce posted:

It's fun to watch the AI get magic free ships appear out of nowhere, and it's extra fun when one of those spawns happens to be invulnerable. It was just three corvettes, but I just had to tank them continuously until I wiped out the enemy faction entirely.
Saving, quitting, and reloading didn't fix the problem?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Complications posted:

Saving, quitting, and reloading didn't fix the problem?

I'll try that next time it happens.

edit: disregard.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 7, 2019

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
How are people setting up their refinery habitats?

I've been spending an hour on district / housing / job tetris and I can't get things to even out, and I'm refusing to let it go. I've got nothing else to do because I'm waiting on the prethoryn queen to show up.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I just use planets for refining, there's usually loads of extra building slots on rural worlds.

But a refinery habitat should be easy I'd think, it'll just be two housing districts, the refineries, and then whatever districts you were going to build anyway?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 7, 2019

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
:laffo:

The excavation of "Gas Giant Structure" provided a history of which I should have seen the conclusion coming from a mile away. I'll spoiler it just in case folks here haven't found it.

Basically, you find this giant space station / structure in orbit around a gas giant. The description says that it's on an unrecoverable terminal orbit which will tear it apart (or make it implode I guess) within the next thousand years, but it's not so deep within the atmosphere that an expedition is impossible.

After the first check, you learn that the interior, while dark and lifeless, has revealed the station to be some kind of luxurious "Pleasure Palace." There are endless rows of slot machines, hundreds of extravagant bars and restaurants, and of course, thousands of dead, mummified alien bodies of like two dozen different species, most of which are clustered around the escape pods.

The next chapter tells you that the name of the massive station was known as the "The Star Petal" and that it was renowned luxury resort circa 1,000 years ago that would be pulled via a fleet of small tugs to a new exotic and scenic location every year. Also, this ritzy resort had multiple wings that were exclusive to the hedonist lifestyle. Or maybe I made that last sentence up, but that's what I had a mental image of when I found out...

The concluding chapter's revelation is that a massive stray asteroid drilled the station so hard that it knocked it clean off its orbit with no chance to recover. Despite the station's powerful orbital-maintenance thrusters firing at maximum, they were inadequate to prevent Hedonism MCLIV The Star Petal from entering the gas giant's massive atmosphere. The evacuation order was given by command staff. Unfortunately, it soon became obvious that the RMS Titanic luxurious space station only had enough escape pods to evacuate a fraction of its passengers. Subsequently, mass panic erupted. Those who were not trampled to death perished when the station's environmental systems failed as it fell deeper into the gas giant.

Not a bad way to go... as long as the hedonism thing is true...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVtEX1J7tXQ

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 7, 2019

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Shugojin posted:

I had it happen with multiple systems in the same game.

This one is the Rubricator system.

These two were the trinary that is devoid of hyperlanes and the system with a wormhole connecting to it.

Yea this just happened for me as well. Seems like 2.3.3 beta patch hosed it up.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
*twiddles thumbs waiting on purging the final species, crime rampant on numerous conquered worlds and long-neglected empire*

*starts replacing every building on planets with crime with precincts*

Can't have crime if everyone is a cop *thinking guy meme*

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Uhh, the Fallen Empire robits have been purged. There's nobody left. One of the trade groups still shows up in the contact list, along with the shroud.

I have a sentry array. There aren't any fuckin ships other than mine! Unless the enigmatic cache counts. Trying to get the Xenophobe Empire purging all sapients achievement. Galaxy Species window shows nobody but me alive.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Make sure you check the l cluster and also blow up any pre spaceflight races hanging out.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Grapplejack posted:

Make sure you check the l cluster and also blow up any pre spaceflight races hanging out.

L cluster belongs to me.

Four species show up in the Galaxy Species list with 0 pops.

And the traders who don't seem to have any enclaves.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Duodecimal posted:

I've been spending an hour on district / housing / job tetris and I can't get things to even out, and I'm refusing to let it go. I've got nothing else to do because I'm waiting on the prethoryn queen to show up.

In my opinion, habitats are better for trading and research, refinery planets are where it's at.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

In my opinion, habitats are better for trading and research, refinery planets are where it's at.

Agreed. I normally max out whatever resource district is highest, then the remaining housing is used for whatever I need the most. I normally have three refinery worlds, to avoid having to think which resource I need more of.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Habitats in nebulae should get increased refinery and alloy plant efficiency or a special building that does the same due to sucking raw materials out of space itself.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
And habitats built around research deposits should get something related to that deposit. My first tech habitat was built around an engineering deposit and I was bitterly disappointed to not even get a small bonus to engineering research on that habitat.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Habitats in nebulae should get increased refinery and alloy plant efficiency or a special building that does the same due to sucking raw materials out of space itself.

You should be able to build a megastructure that slowly absorbs a nebula, decreasing its size, but spews out rare resources.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Aethernet posted:

You should be able to build a megastructure that slowly absorbs a nebula, decreasing its size, but spews out rare resources.

Hell, what about a megastructure which slowly churns through system after system and slowly creates a new nebula?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I, too, got a disconnected Rubricator system and cannot Experimental Subspace Drive over to it because it is not explored :(

Also when I activated my Last Baol artifact it didnt do anything.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Also when I activated my Last Baol artifact it didnt do anything.

Did you read what the artifact says?

Check any colony you own, you should have a planetary decision ready to turn it into a gaia world.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Refinery habitats are for doubling the output of orbital mote/crystal/gas mines. I just fill out the remaining space with the mineral converters too.

But I'm winding up with wobbly Jenga towers of drone storage and maintenance buildings. The real coup was finding a way to get five gas wells on the Irass system node. Ten gasses from five buildings which means unlocking five slots with twenty-five pops for only five jobs.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Also, disconnected systems. I'm fishing for the outside context achievement and Sol was also unconnected. I reverted to release version after that.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Unconnected systems can be reached via jump drive!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Libluini posted:

Hell, what about a megastructure which slowly churns through system after system and slowly creates a new nebula?

What about a megastructure that does both at the same time, and permanently eliminates unemployment in your society?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Krazyface posted:

What about a megastructure that does both at the same time, and permanently eliminates unemployment in your society?

You could call it the Soylent Green Engine!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

They really *really* need to fix that buildings explode when automatic resettlement-upon-conquering a world pulls a planet below a building threshold. Realistically buildings shouldnt explode for a pop moving out for any reason.

Guilliman posted:

Did you read what the artifact says?

Check any colony you own, you should have a planetary decision ready to turn it into a gaia world.
Yeah I mis-read the tool-tip, I was just coming back to post that I figured it out :downs:

Deuce posted:

Unconnected systems can be reached via jump drive!

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
ESN are not jumpdrives

The new habitability penalties are harsh as gently caress, was playing devouring swarm and didn't really think about what planet type the primitives were living on when I took it and transfered some pops there to start growing.

First building slot was a spawning pool, second had to be maintenance depot, and third, and fourth because the amenity drain was absolutely enormous and the planet, while producing enough to go net positive was barely worth it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That's not jump drive.

Martout posted:

The new habitability penalties are harsh as gently caress, was playing devouring swarm and didn't really think about what planet type the primitives were living on when I took it and transfered some pops there to start growing.

First building slot was a spawning pool, second had to be maintenance depot, and third, and fourth because the amenity drain was absolutely enormous and the planet, while producing enough to go net positive was barely worth it.

I mean I really like that habitability matters so much now, especially for growth. What it really makes clear is that robots desperately need a balance patch.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 7, 2019

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Gobbeldygook posted:

I killed the first wave of the scourge before the second arrived, so the event was just...over. I got a message for victory over the scourge and shortly afterwards a message announcing the second wave would arrive soon but they never did.

My number one feature request is to be able to ban the governor from making certain buildings or districts. My empire is overpopulated and I don't need any more loving population growth buildings.
A few years after this the guardian of the galaxy event triggered and a fallen empire woke up to defend us vs the nonexistent scourge.

Aethernet posted:

That this is a debate you really shouldn't reopen.

But wide is the optimal play style as the game currently stands, although certain empire types (like Corporations and Inward Perfection) can do Tall pretty well.
I think this has been the case for every 4x game ever made: wide is the superior strategy, but tall is OK for certain empires and vs mediocre AIs.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Martout posted:

ESN are not jumpdrives

PittTheElder posted:

That's not jump drive.
I have never tried to Jump Drive to an unexplored system before and assumed it didnt work, because non-scientist-piloted-science-ships cannot enter unexplored systems. This leads me to believe that I am assuming incorrectly? Or is there something specific that I will have to do?

Regardless, it sucks to have three unconnected systems near me, one of which spawned because of the Rubricator, and I cannot access them for 100+ years because I need a special tech to get to them.

PittTheElder posted:

Martout posted:

I mean I really like that habitability matters so much now, especially for growth. What it really makes clear is that robots desperately need a balance patch.
I agree completely. For example: It didnt make sense before that I could enslave a Jungle preference pop then move it to a Desert hellscape or an Alpine icebox and expect the slave to be able to work just as hard/efficiently.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I have never tried to Jump Drive to an unexplored system before and assumed it didnt work, because non-scientist-piloted-science-ships cannot enter unexplored systems. This leads me to believe that I am assuming incorrectly? Or is there something specific that I will have to do?

Jump a science vessel there.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Duodecimal posted:

Just fill the district slots with trade and housing for max building slots so you can fit as many rare resource extractors/refineries as possible

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Oh no, a Marauder spawn! I sure hope they're not going to be a prob-

Makes their "gonna gently caress you UP, son!" transmissions all the more hilarious.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Finished my first game after like 40 or 50 hours (my play time is screwed up from the time Steam thought it was running all the time). I gotta say the victory screen is kinda underwhelming so I don't think I'll play out games where I've clearly won. I dunno if that's how paradox games normally are as I've never actually finished a game of CK2 or EU. I barely managing to stop the scourge and then defeat the mishar which made for some exciting times but the last 5 years was just letting the game run and ignoring popups.

A screen with just the stats you already know isn't much. Like in Civ the charts/graphs/timelines give you a chance to reflect on the game you just finished in a way that a score screen doesn't. The hall of fame also makes it feel more worthwhile to finish up a game. Beyond that kind of timeline with how naturally Stellaris creates story lines I'd love to see a screen that tried to summarize the story of your game (I'd buy it in a dlc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brosef
Jan 19, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

A screen with just the stats you already know isn't much. Like in Civ the charts/graphs/timelines give you a chance to reflect on the game you just finished in a way that a score screen doesn't. The hall of fame also makes it feel more worthwhile to finish up a game. Beyond that kind of timeline with how naturally Stellaris creates story lines I'd love to see a screen that tried to summarize the story of your game (I'd buy it in a dlc).

There is a mod that can do that. I've never used it myself, though, so I've no idea how much it impacts performance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/c3fwri/stellaris_dashboard_update_add_61_graphs_and_a/