Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Think I'll sit this contest out, I've been pretty busy with the holiday weekend, I wont even be able to watch day 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

oystertoadfish posted:

cool, i'll throw some names out there. feel free to tell me to change them if needful

Y/O: Hakuho, Kakuryu, Goeido
S/K: Mitakeumi, Tamawashi, Abi
M1-5: Asanoyama, Endo, Kotoshogiku
M6-10: Chiyotairyu, Myogiryu, Takagenji
M11+: Tochiozan, Chiyomaru, Sadanoumi

these are basically random but biased toward people i vaguely remember better than the others

You can read the full rules on this post of mine.

Pretty cool seeing some new people get involved! I'm looking forward to running fantasy this basho. Reminder we need draft picks in by tonight, say around 9 pm PST. I'll do the draft after that. If anyone still wants to jump in you've got about 5 hours!

ratmosphere
Oct 31, 2017

Y/O: 1. Hakuho 2. Kakuryu 3. Takayasu
S/K: 1. Mitakeumi 2. Abi 3. Ryuden
1-5: 1. Ichinojou 2. Meisei 3. Shodai
6-10: 1. Shimanoumi 2. Daishoho 3. Takagenji
11+: 1. Toyonoshima 2. Sadanoumi 3. Enho

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The draft is in!

bessantj

Y/O: Kakuryu
S/K: Ryuden
M1-5: Ichinojo
M6-10: Shimanoumi
M11+: Enho

Elissimpark

Y/O: Goeido
M1-5: Meisei
M6-10: Takagenji
M11+: Kotoyuki

fisting by many

S/K: Mitakeumi
M1-5: Meisei
M6-10: Shohozan
M11+: Kaisei

jng2058

Y/O - Hakuho
S/K - Tamawashi
M1-5 - Aoiyama
M6-10 - Onosho
M11+ - Tochiozan

Kenning

Y/O: Takayasu
M1-5: Asanoyama
M6-10: Tomokaze

oystertoadfish

Y/O: Hakuho
S/K: Tamawashi
M1-5: Asanoyama
M6-10: Chiyotairyu
M11+: Tochiozan

ratmosphere

1-5: Ichinojou
6-10: Shimanoumi
11+: Toyonoshima

sivad

Y/O: Hakuho
S/K: Abi
M1-5: Aoiyama
M6-10: Chiyotairyu
M11+: Chiyomaru

The current wire is:

oystertoadfish
sivad
Elissimpark
jng2058
bessantj
ratmosphere
fisting by many
Kenning

The following rikishi are unavailable for trading:

Kakuryu
Hakuho
Mitakeumi
Asanoyama
Ichinojo
Aoiyama
Onosho
Shimanoumi
Chiyotairyu
Tochiozan
Enho

Opening day is tomorrow!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning posted:

The draft is in!

bessantj

M1-5: Ichinojo
M6-10: Shimanoumi

Sweet, thanks. Today is :) :( :( :( :dance:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

and so it begins. the fantasy thing is already making me more invested in the basho, that's awesome, thanks

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Yep, didn't expect to find myself cheering against Aoiyama but there I was hoping his rear end got sat down

His rear end was not sat down :(

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

is it just me or does he henka a lot? might just be me, i think he did it a few times last basho and that was the first i watched for years

i love how they don't make that move illegal, they just tut tut about it for centuries

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

bessantj posted:

Sweet, thanks. Today is :) :( :( :( :dance:

oystertoadfish posted:

and so it begins. the fantasy thing is already making me more invested in the basho, that's awesome, thanks

fisting by many posted:

Yep, didn't expect to find myself cheering against Aoiyama but there I was hoping his rear end got sat down

His rear end was not sat down :(

Glad you're all enjoying it! The first time I did fantasy sumo with my buddy ratmosphere it really helped me pay more attention to the bottom of the banzuke and learn more about dudes other than the san'yaku guys. It's part of why I like it so much!

Day 1 standings:

code:
bessantj	2
Elissimpark	1
fisting by many	3
jng2058		2
Kenning		4
oystertoadfish	3
ratmosphere	1
sivad		4

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Great day. Thought Ryuden was going to get screwed over Tochinoshin style but managed to avoid it. Speaking of Tochinoshin, he's not looking his best, I know his knee will never be right again but he's struggling.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fakk It looks like Takayasu tweaked his back. He started off looking really good too. I love me some Ryuuden but I'd rather Takayasu had just won that monoii at this point :[

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Is it just me or does it look like everybody has been giving 110% in the dining room the last couple of months...

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

captainblastum posted:

Is it just me or does it look like everybody has been giving 110% in the dining room the last couple of months...

https://twitter.com/AmakaZe_K/status/1147788446464802816

https://twitter.com/AmakaZe_K/status/1147793732801925120

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks like maybe Takayasu's back is okay? Seemed to be fine. He's also fought five matches in three days so hopefully that doesn't have a detrimental effect.

That Hakuho bout was probably the most entertaining I've seen since ... I don't know when?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 9, 2019

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Looks like maybe Takayasu's back is okay? Seemed to be fine. He's also fought five matches in three days so hopefully that doesn't have a detrimental effect.

That Hakuho bout was probably the most entertaining I've seen since ... I don't know when?

He needs to get his head back in the game. I don't know what's going on but it has been a terrible start for him. Enho continues to be a delight.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 9, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think his knees are like old dry kindling right now. Ready to snap.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Sorry for missing yesterday, I had to help my friend prepare his house for mold remediation. It sucked!

Day 3 standings:

code:
bessantj	11
Elissimpark	8
fisting by many	7
jng2058		7
Kenning		11
oystertoadfish	7
ratmosphere	8
sivad		9
Really enjoying seeing Ryuden and Abi fight, and it's amazing that Enho is performing even though he's hurt.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Meisei :argh:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

So many mono-ii and and torinaoshi this basho.

Day 4 standings:

code:
bessantj	13
Elissimpark	9
fisting by many	10
jng2058		10
Kenning		14
oystertoadfish	10
ratmosphere	12
sivad		12

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning posted:

So many mono-ii and and torinaoshi this basho.

Day 4 standings:

code:
bessantj	13
Elissimpark	9
fisting by many	10
jng2058		10
Kenning		14
oystertoadfish	10
ratmosphere	12
sivad		12

I had a bad day yesterday , poor Enho. Fun Basho at the moment though.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I would like to trade Kaisei for Kotoyuki

Should have dumped him sooner :(

I don't know what the hell's going on with Meisei either but he has to get some wins eventually.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

jng2058
Please trade Tamawashi for Ryuden, thank you!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tochinoshin pulled out. Apparently that knee just can't take the strain. A good idea he's been looking terrible over the five days.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Enho is awesome, that is all.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Martytoof posted:

:yeah:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Thoughts of Enho get me through the dark moments.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Aminishiki apparently went Kyujo after day 3. He's J11 so I'd pretty much wager that's retirement time. He's had a good run - 22 years since his maezumo.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Yeah, he tore up his knee badly and needed to be wheeled out, I'd be shocked if he doesn't retire. He has a NSK share, so he can become a coach right away.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Did he match the all-time longest sekitori career record? It would be nice if he did before he retired, but his health should come first, of course.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

So Hakuho's bicep is clearly still jacked up, right?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Goeido is kyujo, we are down to one Ozeki.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rigel posted:

And fair play to Takayasu he is beasting it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rigel posted:

Hopefully still one after today. Replay showed a mean bend so let’s hope it was just painful with no actual damage.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
The bicep was wiggling a bit unnaturally on review, though. Gah.

Also, noticed we have a Shikimori Inosuke again. I haven't been paying the closest attention to sumo the past year, but don't recall it being mentioned.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Sorry for missing several days of updates, I had to catch up on several days of sumo today. Had lots of work this week.

fisting by many posted:

I would like to trade Kaisei for Kotoyuki

Should have dumped him sooner :(

I don't know what the hell's going on with Meisei either but he has to get some wins eventually.

jng2058 posted:

jng2058
Please trade Tamawashi for Ryuden, thank you!

Trades registered for the days they were submitted.

Nakabi standings:

code:
bessantj	26
Elissimpark	17
fisting by many	24
jng2058		19
Kenning		27
oystertoadfish	20
ratmosphere	27
sivad		25
Very anxious about Takayasu's arm. Hate to see the return of Tamawashi's Killer Kotenage.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeahhhh, I've been waiting for him to show great sumo for a while now, and as soon as he does he gets injured. That would be my luck.

I mean, his luck. But clearly my feelings matter more :colbert:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Ugh looked like Takayasu couldn't use his arm at all in that bout. Please don't die trying to get a kachikoshi.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
He was also wearing a visible dark colored elbow brace, which I didn't think was allowed. Most wrestlers cover up their braces with an insane amount of tape.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah he’s donezo but I think he’ll stay in for the KK. 100% he kyujo as soon as he gets though.

I’m pretty salty about how this worked out but I guess that’s just how things shake out.

So bummed out that I couldn’t even enjoy hakuho being knocked down a peg, which would normally bring a huge grin to my dumb face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yes Ichinojo :woop:

Takayasu has Meisei tomorrow, hopefully he can make short work of him then sit the rest of the basho out.