Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Got to microcenter before they opened, but they only had 5 3900x or something. Didn't get one. They had a ton of 3600, 3600x, and 3700x though.

They also had a limited x570 motherboard selection.

Bestbuy near me has 0 stock of anything and the employees mostly didn't know what I was talking about. One guy did and said "just order online".

Just got home now. Going to crack open some reviews and plan on how I will actually get one or maybe just get the 3700x and save money.

It's time for the 3770k to retire from being my main desktop.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
EposVox teamed up with Wendell from Level1Techs to review the Ryzen 3000 series and Radeon 5700 for video production workloads and the 3900X absolutely demolishes the competition in price/performance and sometimes even matches the 7980XE and Threadripper 2950 and 2990 in absolute performance. But probably the most surprising part of the review is that the 5700 keeps pace with the 2080 in terms of video decode and rendering performance when working with high-bitrate raw 4K footage, with their suspicion being that this is the one workload where PCIe 4 makes a difference in GPU and SSD performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfEjU8Zx9Ps

Edit: also, both Phoronix and Level1Techs have noted that recent versions of the Linux kernel (such as the ones included with recent Fedora and Ubuntu versions) have trouble booting on the Ryzen 3000 series CPUs, so if you want to run Linux on them you should use an older distro like Debian 9 or Ubuntu 18.04 LTS until that issue gets sorted out.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 7, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

K8.0 posted:

The 3800X may well have enough of a binning advantage to justify it for some people, but I suspect that in a few months it probably won't.

Still want to see benchmarks that are actually meaningful for the 3700X+ vs Intel (where no one in their right mind building a new system is going to settle for 3200mhz ram).

If Intel follows through on their price cuts the 3800X doesn’t really make sense. You either get the 3700X and save $100 or you step up to the 9900K or 3900X depending on whether you want gaming or productivity.

If you can’t overclock, and the difference in stock boosts is marginal, then the 3800X doesn’t really have a reason to exist other than smoothing over the bump in price from 8C to 12C.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

In Norway it seems 3900x will be in stock in 2 weeks, 3800x in ~1 week, and 3700x (and below) tomorrow.

My 3770K is ready for retirement, but I guess I can wait 2 weeks. I guess...

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Have any reviews looked at undervolting offset at all, and how it interacts with PBO? Didn't find any mentions but still kind of curious.

eames
May 9, 2009

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Have any reviews looked at undervolting offset at all, and how it interacts with PBO? Didn't find any mentions but still kind of curious.

Not that I know of but I just realized that Silicon Lottery announced binned Zen2 CPUs a while ago, wonder how that's going to work out.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Has the 3700x actually gone on sale on US Amazon yet? I've been checking all morning because I was hoping to get same day delivery or pickup and I don't even see them when I search, only when they're linked directly so I figured those (sold out) listings are third party resellers getting ahead of the game.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Derbauer says that the new XFR turbo clocks are the maximum possible and in reality don't hit their max. Kinda offputting.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Humerus posted:

Has the 3700x actually gone on sale on US Amazon yet? I've been checking all morning because I was hoping to get same day delivery or pickup and I don't even see them when I search, only when they're linked directly so I figured those (sold out) listings are third party resellers getting ahead of the game.

Nope. Only place online I've seen 3700x is Newegg.

eames
May 9, 2009

redeyes posted:

Derbauer says that the new XFR turbo clocks are the maximum possible and in reality don't hit their max. Kinda offputting.

It's really just a marketing thing. I'm kind of surprised they didn't pull an Athlon and market the CPUs as Ryzen 4800+, 4900+ and 5000+ because the IPC advantage seems to be back. :v:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Am I a weirdo for not being phased by these prices for mobos and CPUs at all? Granted I had no idea Sandy Bridge was going to last me 10+ years, but this box (which admittedly is for work) I expect to have long long legs for compiling / FPGA builds / general headless crunching.

I’m also hoping the WS X570-ACE isn’t super popular so I can snag one. When did mobo makers actually start advertising specific PMICs? I twitched a little when they advertised IR3555s.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

I'm kind of underwhelmed with the reviews so far. I should've known there would be little to no overclocking headroom, but I had hopes for the 3700x to get a little closer to the 9900k.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I'm a little taken aback by the range of motherboard prices. It's probably just lack of knowledge, but to an untrained eye it looks like the $160 board has basically the exact same performance as the $700 board? Except if you want to overclock the processor I think? But even then is there really $550 of performance difference?

Edit: $700 not $600 for highest end.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Canna Happy posted:

I'm kind of underwhelmed with the reviews so far. I should've known there would be little to no overclocking headroom, but I had hopes for the 3700x to get a little closer to the 9900k.

It's also that the BIOS aren't really allowing it from what I read. So give it some time.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I'm a little taken aback by the range of motherboard prices. It's probably just lack of knowledge, but to an untrained eye it looks like the $160 board has basically the exact same performance as the $700 board? Except if you want to overclock the processor I think? But even then is there really $550 of performance difference?

Edit: $700 not $600 for highest end.

Welp, the extra price with motherboards, AFAIK from just getting into this, is that they provide extra features. Performance-wise tho, this latest go-around demonstrated it perfectly when the cheaper B450 Tomahawk was compared to the latest X570 - 1% difference. So yea, you don't buy the more expensive motherboards for better performance as much as you buy them for the latest features (like PCI 4.0, which according to Linus could actually get fucky due to its higher power and heat stats requiring a tiny fan to cool the board) or for more of the already existing features (if for some reason you need more ports for more stuff).

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 7, 2019

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

What about memory support? Do the X470 motherboards support 3600+Mhz memory fine?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Sininu posted:

What about memory support? Do the X470 motherboards support 3600+Mhz memory fine?
Memory support is controlled by the CPU these days. The short answer is "yes" provided you're using a zen2 (Ryzen 3000 series) CPU. The longer answer is below.

Motherboard memory layouts can be Daisy Chain, T-Topology, or 'direct' which is just a fancy way of saying 2 sockets. You'll often see records set on the 2 socket boards, but for real-world overclocks it doesn't matter at all. Most AM4 motherboards are daisy chain and work best with 2 sticks of RAM. A few high end ones are t-topology (ASRock Taichi, high end asus crosshair on x470 but not x570, and not much else - maybe the x570 creator style boards) and are intended for 4 sticks of RAM but still can hit rated speeds with 2 and traditionally 2 still works better because the memory controller on zen1 and to a lesser extent zen+ CPUs couldn't handle it.

Some of the lower end b450 (think sub $70 boards, only decent one I can think of is the asrock b450 pro4 that locks it to 1.4v or lower in bios), b350, and a320 boards might have VRM issues with >1.4V sent to memory. Most 3600 sticks are 1.32-1.38v so even that shouldn't matter. Micron rev.e 3000 c15 sticks ran @ 3600 with good timings might need more voltage to be stable, but most of the time they also function fine on <1.4v. Motherboard vendors tend to over provision VRMs for RAM because those VRMs are also used for integrated gpu stuff. And most ryzen CPUs don't have integrated GPUs so there's a lot of headroom for memory.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 7, 2019

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Hardware Canucks Unboxed guy blew out his 3900x on Auto Voltage setting after turning on LLC

e: wops

Setset fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 7, 2019

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lube banjo posted:

Hardware Canucks guy blew out his 3900x on Auto Voltage setting after turning on LLC

Steve from Hardware Unboxed killed his 3900X too

eames
May 9, 2009

In the topic of memory, the computerbase review of the R5-3600 shows only 1% (!) multicore application performance difference between DDR4-2666 and DDR4-3200. The single core application difference is zero. That includes 7-Zip, Cinebench, Handbrake, Blender and a few others.
They suspect that larger SKUs might be even less memory dependant because they have bigger caches and higher cache throughput that more than makes up for the core count.

All in all Zen 2 doesn't seem to be memory sensitive at all, unless gaming benchmarks show a completely different picture.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
There's a bit more difference in games but it's not huge.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

iospace posted:

It's also that the BIOS aren't really allowing it from what I read. So give it some time.

Reviewers should have unlocked BIOS, if not then holy poo poo that would be the dumbest move ever.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

movax posted:

Granted I had no idea Sandy Bridge was going to last me 10+ years,

I’m also hoping the WS X570-ACE isn’t super popular so I can snag one.
Same, My old board is the Sandy Bridge ws revolution.

Best Buy didn't have any new AMD stuff.. I was sick of my old rear end 160gb SSD today and upgraded.

It's better to sleep on these things anyway.. I'd like to know more about that mobo later though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Paul MaudDib posted:

Reviewers should have unlocked BIOS, if not then holy poo poo that would be the dumbest move ever.

Someone up thread had a link saying something to the effect they sort of didn't? I might have misread it.

eames
May 9, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

makes those cheaper/older AM4 boards look even more attractive, seeing how there is little gain to be had from high memory speeds.
BTW crazy how well the single channel setup holds up, maybe Game Cache is not just a meme after all. :v:

iospace posted:

Someone up thread had a link saying something to the effect they sort of didn't? I might have misread it.

source was a screenshot of a poster in an overclocking forum... he did have a cute cat avatar though, which does lend it more credibility

Looking at the voltage/power/temp scaling graphs by der8auer it doesn't matter because even if it did clock higher than 4.3 GHz it's not like any ambient cooling solution would be able to cool it with this silicon quality.

eames fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 7, 2019

3peat
May 6, 2010

iospace posted:

You misread it. Reviewers under NDA had the unlocked bios, everybody else didn't.

3peat
May 6, 2010

eames posted:

source was a screenshot of a poster in an overclocking forum... he did have a cute cat avatar though, which does lend it more credibility

It was 1usmus, the ukrainian guy who makes the ryzen DRAM calculator, and who was sampled by AMD and was under NDA

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

3peat posted:

You misread it. Reviewers under NDA had the unlocked bios, everybody else didn't.

Alright, read it on phone so couldn't quite make out everything.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I bought a 3900x. I don't want to break it. At least it should be here sometime next week from amd directly so hopefully some of the OC stuff should be ironed out.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

I want to order a 3900x, but apparently there are none online in Canada. A sad day. It's no big deal though, I'm going ok vacation on Tuesday, so even if I did make the order, it wouldn't get here in time for me to do anything with it.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

MaxxBot posted:

Looks like my 3200/CL16 will be just fine, went ahead and ordered a 3600 to mess around with.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

B-Mac posted:

Looks like my 3200/CL16 will be just fine.

Yeah, I see no reason to get anything better on this front TBH. The gains are utterly marginal, even up to AMD's recommended 'golden zone' of 3713Ghz or somesuch.

I'm also seriously reconsidering my initial thought of 3700x buy, now that I've watched the 3600 review in full because...cripes. I guess if you do at least some regular productivity or such, you'd definitely prefer the 3700x, but even there the 3600 isn't that terrible at all. The last argument would be, I suppose, 2 less cores and 4 less threads if that factors for 'futureproofing' gaming but...it just doesn't seem worth it to pay 130$ (or in my case euros even) more just for that at all.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 7, 2019

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The murder of Intel by AMD.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
It's kind of weirding me out that apparently Zen 2 doesn't give the slightest gently caress what is around it in terms of motherboard, RAM, whatever, it performs within like 1% either way.

I guess that's a good thing from a perspective of "there's no reason to buy high-end parts beyond the CPU" but that seems so strange.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

surf rock posted:

It's kind of weirding me out that apparently Zen 2 doesn't give the slightest gently caress what is around it in terms of motherboard, RAM, whatever, it performs within like 1% either way.

I guess that's a good thing from a perspective of "there's no reason to buy high-end parts beyond the CPU" but that seems so strange.

It feels like it's one part new tech, one part drop in upgrade.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Newegg went out of stock on the 3700x and 3900x. Still haven't seen them as available on Amazon. Just one rear end in a top hat third-party shop selling a lone 3700x for $500.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

MaxxBot posted:

I'd absolutely call that huge. 5% average gaming performance delta for likely well under 5% total cost increase is an incredibly good deal. You can almost never hit, never mind exceed 1:1 performance gains spending money on PCs. There's no way I'd build a new Zen2 system (other than maybe a 3600) and not buy 3600/3733 based on that. It is odd that Witcher 3 doesn't show any scaling because traditionally it's been one of the games with the most extreme memory bandwidth scaling, but the picture as a whole is good.

Keep in mind that the numbers they're showing for 3200 are basically meaningless, because that CAS latency isn't happening with cheap ram.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 7, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

surf rock posted:

You’ll still need a motherboard with good power management for the top-end chips, it’s just that there are cheap boards that also have good enough power management, beyond that there’s differences in extra features, like # and type of USB ports, M.2 slots, and PCIe lanes, quality of onboard audio/lan, etc.

On the RAM side, it’s pretty much the same story as RAM with every other CPU - speed and latency have a very marginal effect on gaming performance and the optimal kit is really where the price starts increasing by more than a tiny amount. It’s just that people were expecting it to affect Zen 2 more.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Pyroclastic posted:

Newegg went out of stock on the 3700x and 3900x. Still haven't seen them as available on Amazon. Just one rear end in a top hat third-party shop selling a lone 3700x for $500.

Amazon are notoriously slow for new pc hardware. I would just recommend trying some pc store near your area instead because you will be waiting a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Uuh, would picking a good B450 mobo for 3700X and 3200Mhz memory be a decent idea now that we have all this info?