Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Big Mad Drongo posted:

One of my levels from a couple days ago is sitting at six plays and one like, would appreciated some playthroughs/feedback if anyone has a moment:

This was my first attempt at a "serious" level as opposed to a goofy/themed one, so I'm curious what I did right or wrong. I also attempted to create an easy normal route (using the switches) and a harder speedrun route (aerial spin jump ballet), and wondering if one or the other suffered from the effort.

I liked it. It was fairly easy, but in a good way. Centering a stage around a clever mechanic like this is a good way to make a course feel cohesive, so it was nice to play. If you want feedback, the only problem I encountered was shortly after the checkpoint flag. There is a platform with three spike tops on top, with an on/off switch slightly farther ahead. I thought I was supposed to dodge those spike tops until I could get to the switch, but when I tried I ended up getting hit and eventually dying. On my second run, I decided that was too much of a difficulty jump and I must have missed something. And sure enough, there was another on/off switch on top of the question blocks just before that platform. However, that on/off switch is not visible on the screen, and there's no other reason to go up there, so it's likely that players will miss it and focus on the switch that they can see, like I did. I bet that if you look at the failure points, you'll see a lot at that section, since players are generally focused on moving forward. If players need to explore somewhere else, give them a hint that they should. Perhaps make a 10-coin that's half visible at the top of the screen or something.

That said, it was fun! Question: How do you make the switch automatically turn off once it's switched on?

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I don't think those setups will work for me. I'm working on a boss fight that involves crossing through a room 3 times to hit on/off switches on opposite sides that drop munchers on the boss to kill it. If I give the player shells they could just kill the boss with the shell.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Big Mad Drongo posted:

This was my first attempt at a "serious" level as opposed to a goofy/themed one, so I'm curious what I did right or wrong. I also attempted to create an easy normal route (using the switches) and a harder speedrun route (aerial spin jump ballet), and wondering if one or the other suffered from the effort.

This one was nice! The gimmick didn't overstay its welcome, and your bonus coin placement was good. tbh the spin jump approach didn't even occur to me. Having an obvious optional bonus at the beginning where you have to use the spin jump could be a good way of getting players to think about it if that's important to you.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

internet celebrity posted:

I don't think those setups will work for me. I'm working on a boss fight that involves crossing through a room 3 times to hit on/off switches on opposite sides that drop munchers on the boss to kill it. If I give the player shells they could just kill the boss with the shell.

Could you just put the switched blocks underneath/around each switch so once the player hits it, they're forced out by the blocks turning on and have to run to the opposite side (with the opposite polarity on the blocks) to do it again?

Edit: nevermind, you said you already tried this. Perhaps do the same thing, but with a locked off area and a cannon? Cannon fires shell when the player gets close to it, activates the switch which activates the block in front of the switch and kills the shell.

Something like this, basically:

The player has to jump up and get on the right side for the cannon to fire, and the shell will be instantly killed off once the switch triggers.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 7, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Help Im Alive posted:

I was wondering why my course got 400 plays in like 5 minutes and

i made it!!

Eeeee! Congratulations! Tis my very dream. One day, perhaps.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Big Mad Drongo posted:

One of my levels from a couple days ago is sitting at six plays and one like, would appreciated some playthroughs/feedback if anyone has a moment:

I like this enough that I speed ran it. Did you think the level could be done as fast as I did it?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I wish cat Mario could bat cat Bowsers fireballs back at him. I want to do a cat fight but Bowser can barely be scratched without running into him and if he has a fit throwing fireballs, you can only dodge them. Putting some trees in gives you the ability to position around him, but the only time he's open to more than one swipe is when he is climbing into place.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I'm sort of sad because none of my more recent levels have hit 100 plays yet, I'm wondering if that's just due to there being so many more levels than there were last week or what. It's probably that but I live for likes and plays.

Is one of you "XDman06"? If not I got a compliment on my most recent course from a pubbie but if so, thank you!

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Vegastar posted:

Could you just put the switched blocks underneath/around each switch so once the player hits it, they're forced out by the blocks turning on and have to run to the opposite side (with the opposite polarity on the blocks) to do it again?

Edit: nevermind, you said you already tried this. Perhaps do the same thing, but with a locked off area and a cannon? Cannon fires shell when the player gets close to it, activates the switch which activates the block in front of the switch and kills the shell.

Something like this, basically:

The player has to jump up and get on the right side for the cannon to fire, and the shell will be instantly killed off once the switch triggers.

Yea, this is what I was thinkin

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I was wondering why my course got 400 plays in like 5 minutes and

i made it!!

Congratulations on having constant, nonstop notifications for the rest of the games life lol

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

If anyone feels like their level has been largely overlooked here, please quote this post along with your code and level name, and I'll play it and give it a mini-review later today. (Note: I'm not an expert at Mario, so I may not be able to complete super-hard levels.) On average, levels here are far better than those on endless!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The Lobster posted:

I'm sort of sad because none of my more recent levels have hit 100 plays yet, I'm wondering if that's just due to there being so many more levels than there were last week or what. It's probably that but I live for likes and plays.

Is one of you "XDman06"? If not I got a compliment on my most recent course from a pubbie but if so, thank you!

It helps to play, like, and comment on more courses. I'm not sure if the game actually serves up your levels more if you've played more or if it's just the fact that people will sometimes reciprocate plays for people who have commented but either way it helps.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DorianGravy posted:

If anyone feels like their level has been largely overlooked here, please quote this post along with your code and level name, and I'll play it and give it a mini-review later today. (Note: I'm not an expert at Mario, so I may not be able to complete super-hard levels.) On average, levels here are far better than those on endless!

Sure thing, I'd love to know your thoughts on my level!

Super Ardio World

GHF-T7X-WKG

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I wound up skipping the blitz because I was getting too involved with Dry Fish and wanted to flesh it out into what I hope would be an OG-quality level.
https://twitter.com/tayter_swift/status/1147930892389588992?s=21
Fountains o' Fish
04K-QXR-VTG

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

DorianGravy posted:

Hi, I've never made a Mario level before so this might be garbage.

Turtle Wax On, Turtle Wax Off
SXK-CDC-YKG

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

J-Spot posted:

It helps to play, like, and comment on more courses. I'm not sure if the game actually serves up your levels more if you've played more or if it's just the fact that people will sometimes reciprocate plays for people who have commented but either way it helps.

That's true, I've only been playing goon levels. I'll pop back into Endless for a bit.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

DorianGravy posted:

Try mine, Airship Assault at 6CW-G2B-9WF and The Power of Flight at Q3T-CM4-RYF. Looking for feedback!

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I'm pretty sure maker points factor into how much the game decides to have your level played in endless, which is why it goes down when you get boos. So really just, keep making good levels and keep sharing them and you'll be fine.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The Lobster posted:

That's true, I've only been playing goon levels. I'll pop back into Endless for a bit.

Check the new tab as well. People who don’t post in communities like this one will appreciate the first play.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 7, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Streaming more goon levels! Post your levels in the chat, I'll play as many as I can (and do Random Acts of Mario if I run out of requests).

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Ceave just published a video on how the level serving system works, how you can get more plays without gaming the system, and what Nintendo could do to help things along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90DzDdbfNd0

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
I finally had a chance to make another level. I feel like I learned a lot from my previous attempt, and this is more of a traditional-style level. It's an SMB3 airship level using goomba's shoes.

Shoes in the Sky
DNJ-HVM-SHF

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Super Ardio World

GHF-T7X-WKG

In general, I enjoyed the level. The difficulty was about right, the first area gave a nice SMB2 vibe, and I liked the descending section in the clown car. My main suggestions would be to focus more on one particular theme. This means focusing on specific (and fewer) enemy types and challenges, and having a consistent style to the level. As it was, there were a whole lot of different things going on in the level (lots of enemy types and block types and challenges) and it felt a little unfocused. Also, boss characters should be saved for special occasions, so don't just scatter them through the level. For example, Bowser starts to lose a bit of special-ness if he just appears in the middle of a level and you can run through him with a star. Also, this is minor, but I didn't understand the point of the room with the Koopa and the on/off switch. I saw a hidden door there, but I wasn't sure if I could do anything with it. Overall, though, I had fun, and the level kept surprising me.

potatocubed posted:

Hi, I've never made a Mario level before so this might be garbage.

Turtle Wax On, Turtle Wax Off
SXK-CDC-YKG

I liked that you mainly focused on a single concept, and the platforming was simple but interesting enough to be engaging. I had a couple stupid deaths on the blue platform under the pipe, though, because I was on the right side of the platform grabbing a shell when a Koopa came out and immediately swung towards me. Having an enemy emerge right beside you and kill you isn't much fun, so I would encourage you to playtest your level more to look out for situations like this. One simple fix would be adding a mushroom box to the beginning of the level to give players some margin for error, especially if you want to make an easy-going level like the description suggestions. Also, maybe this was intentional, but you can actually skip most of the on/off box interactions. After you hit the first box once to get over the first platform, you can hop on a Koopa to get over the second obstacle and just do a running jump to skip the third. That's how I beat the level in 17 seconds (WR!). Perhaps this was intentional on your part (if so, good job!), but if you want players to interact with your challenges in a specific way, make sure they can't simply jump over them. The level was short, but I enjoyed it.

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

DorianGravy posted:

VFK-HLK-LCG
Wall Kicks Will Work

Gets a little dicey towards the end but still a relatively straightforward level.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Super Ardio World

GHF-T7X-WKG

I meant to comment on this last night. Cool level but I got a little confused by the room with the koopa and the switch. In hindsight I should have realized sooner that I could go down the vine, but an arrow would have fixed the problem.

Tayter Swift posted:

Ceave just published a video on how the level serving system works, how you can get more plays without gaming the system, and what Nintendo could do to help things along.

Good video. I think they should bring back 100 Mario but have it solely be new or underplayed stages. There'd be no difficulty select so just hope you get lucky with beatable stages.

Erluk posted:

VFK-HLK-LCG
Wall Kicks Will Work

Gets a little dicey towards the end but still a relatively straightforward level.
I wasn't a fan of either of the ant sections. I made it through but it was just kinda awkward.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 7, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Watched Trihex play some of my levels on a VOD and was very displeased with my level "Mario Classic" so I took it down (it was one of my early levels) and now I present to you, "Mario Remix," which is a remix of that level but hopefully fixes some of that level's problems and takes into account some of the feedback received, like adding an optional underground portion.

DD0-184-L8G

Edit: Fixed

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 7, 2019

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

The Lobster posted:

Watched Trihex play some of my levels on a VOD and was very displeased with my level "Mario Classic" so I took it down (it was one of my early levels) and now I present to you, "Mario Remix," which is a remix of that level but hopefully fixes some of that level's problems and takes into account some of the feedback received, like adding an optional underground portion.

DD0-184-LG8
I'm getting "course or maker not found".

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Manoueverable posted:

Try mine, Airship Assault at 6CW-G2B-9WF and The Power of Flight at Q3T-CM4-RYF. Looking for feedback!

Hmm, pretty good (and challenging). I like airship levels a lot, and I liked the branching paths towards the beginning of this level. Still, it had a few aspects that held it back from being better:

1) There's a bit too much going on in the level. There are too many different enemy types, and there are too many bosses at the end. Three Boom Booms, a Bowser, and a Bowser Jr? It's simply too much. The Bowser fight was fun, but I would cut the other two. As it is, there's just too much happening in the level.

2) The segment with the snake blocks was way too tough. I got through the early part of the level, then died at the snake blocks 4 or 5 times in a row. A 5-block snake, with cannonballs and Boos in the cramped quarters? That's just a little absurd. To get past it, I eventually decided to simply take a hit and jump across the Munchers to get to the next ship. If a player is ever willing to intentionally take damage to get out of a situation, that part of the level needs to be improved. Like I said in my first comment, it's okay to hold back a little. Snake blocks are especially challenging because you, as the creator, know exactly how they will move and how the player should move to stay safe. Players don't know that, and trying to figure it out through multiple deaths isn't much fun.

3) Maybe this was intentional on your part, but I think I skipped a part of the level. At the end, I saw a ship above me with a checkpoint flag that I'd never been to. If that was just decoration, I still found it confusing. Also, I didn't realize at first that the boxes in the in the room with the Boom Booms contained power-ups. You could make things like that more obvious, but that's up to you.

4) This is personal preference, but I prefer airship levels to be auto-scroll (at a slow setting). It emphasizes that you're on a fleet of airships on the move, and (in my personal opinion) makes things more fun. If the level doesn't auto-scroll, the airships just feel like they are hovering.

Despite all of these comment, the level was still good. Point #2, about the snake block segment, is the only thing that really annoyed me. Either make that segment far easier (get rid of the Boos entirely and make the snake block longer, for a start) or get rid of that part entirely. Without that segment (and perhaps with fewer bosses), the level is the right amount of challenge for a tougher-that-normal level.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Now I've made a really fast one-button autoscroller.

A Flappy Night

QY8-BBQ-H1G

The coins are safe, but don't get greedy.
Props if you can get into the room in the title shot.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I'm getting "course or maker not found".

Dyslexia strikes again! Fixed in OP.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DorianGravy posted:

In general, I enjoyed the level. The difficulty was about right, the first area gave a nice SMB2 vibe, and I liked the descending section in the clown car. My main suggestions would be to focus more on one particular theme. This means focusing on specific (and fewer) enemy types and challenges, and having a consistent style to the level. As it was, there were a whole lot of different things going on in the level (lots of enemy types and block types and challenges) and it felt a little unfocused. Also, boss characters should be saved for special occasions, so don't just scatter them through the level. For example, Bowser starts to lose a bit of special-ness if he just appears in the middle of a level and you can run through him with a star. Also, this is minor, but I didn't understand the point of the room with the Koopa and the on/off switch. I saw a hidden door there, but I wasn't sure if I could do anything with it. Overall, though, I had fun, and the level kept surprising me.

I liked that you mainly focused on a single concept, and the platforming was simple but interesting enough to be engaging. I had a couple stupid deaths on the blue platform under the pipe, though, because I was on the right side of the platform grabbing a shell when a Koopa came out and immediately swung towards me. Having an enemy emerge right beside you and kill you isn't much fun, so I would encourage you to playtest your level more to look out for situations like this. One simple fix would be adding a mushroom box to the beginning of the level to give players some margin for error, especially if you want to make an easy-going level like the description suggestions. Also, maybe this was intentional, but you can actually skip most of the on/off box interactions. After you hit the first box once to get over the first platform, you can hop on a Koopa to get over the second obstacle and just do a running jump to skip the third. That's how I beat the level in 17 seconds (WR!). Perhaps this was intentional on your part (if so, good job!), but if you want players to interact with your challenges in a specific way, make sure they can't simply jump over them. The level was short, but I enjoyed it.

Thanks for this! Yeah, I absolutely am with you on the enemies, that 'crazy' part was pretty much my wife following a lot of my son's directions (we originally had just as many goombas falling from the sky!)

The room with the on/off switch and hidden door was a shortcut to one of the red keys, to allow the player to skip the downward tunnel. Otherwise, you have to go to the sub level just to get that last red key.

To answer J Spot, that part with the vine (both parts with the vine, really) were intended simply as homages to similar areas in 1-1 of SMB2 USA. That's all :shobon:

Thanks for the review!

Edit: this might help make sense of it? That part in the lower right.

http://www.mariouniverse.com/wp-content/img/maps/nes/smb2/1-1.png

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 7, 2019

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

The Lobster posted:

Dyslexia strikes again! Fixed in OP.
Good level. A few tricky jumps for the bonus coins, but pretty easy to just beat the level. Nice job.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I wish you could make vines that led to sub levels

Svdl
May 9, 2006

Around the world
Wanted to create a level about a monster chasing the player until the end. Not sure if there's some more clever things that could've been done with the idea.

It Follows
X4D-995-Q0G

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Debating on keeping this level around, I wanted to try and make a Night Sky level and have it be y'know. Fun. But it's kinda tough to do so.

Mario Moon Jump
GT8 - N57 - L0H

If it's a bust it's a bust :shobon:

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Erluk posted:

VFK-HLK-LCG
Wall Kicks Will Work

A few thoughts:
- I couldn't get past the wall-jumping section between the two towers of timed blocks. In general, unless you're actually aiming for a super-difficult level, don't put in challenges that are right at the edge of what's possible, because most people (like me) won't be able to get past it.
- In the section before that, I wasn't a fan of having to hit the invisible block, fall, and then do that section over again.
- It may be nice to give people a mushroom at the beginning of the level in case they get hit. Letting people make a couple mistakes and still continue is nice.
- In general, try to intersperse wall-jumping with other sorts of challenges. That would make the wall-jumping sections seem more interesting.

Keep at it!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Debating on keeping this level around, I wanted to try and make a Night Sky level and have it be y'know. Fun. But it's kinda tough to do so.

Mario Moon Jump
GT8 - N57 - L0H

If it's a bust it's a bust :shobon:

It's perfectly fine. The descent section was well put together. I'd keep it up unless you run out of room.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I think I'm using too many Thwomps

https://twitter.com/Cactrot/status/1147961355581833216

Fixed code

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 7, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

They thwomped your course cuz I'm getting a not found error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

He's incorrect about the endless level pool. I've been getting levels with no likes (and sometimes no clears) in my endless level attempts. But then I seem to have had a weird effect on the system (hello, fifteen ice levels in a row after I played all the goon blitz levels).