Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That dude deserves to be bullied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

More industry terribleness than comicsgate but AMC is letting Chris Hardwick moderate their SDCC panels again. I know it's probably expected but still incredibly gross.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did his camp toss that #exonerated hashtag around when he got reinstated?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Patty Hearst's law firm finding he did nothing wrong seems like it should be a joke instead of what actually happened.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Piell posted:

This dude has reached unprecedented levels of not mad
https://twitter.com/TheCrimsonArmy/status/1145433735627718656

I legit was confused why this guy was doing this incredibly cringey video with something smeared all over his face but then I realized it was supposed to be a beard

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Did his camp toss that #exonerated hashtag around when he got reinstated?

Mostly they seemed to enact the old hunker down and hope it goes away strategy. I remember Wil Wheaton claiming he'd have something to say and then... posted pictures of his cat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/shane_holmberg/status/1146061520834424833

Well, the Vic stuff got super interesting. Blackface Lawyer's GoFundMe, Vic's little fan cult and even the Farms all got cited.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Well, the Vic stuff got super interesting. Blackface Lawyer's GoFundMe, Vic's little fan cult and even the Farms all got cited.

I know this is all wishful/speculative/wanking but it would be great if KF got taken down for destroying evidence.

I know it won't but a guy's gotta have dreams.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SoftNum posted:

I know this is all wishful/speculative/wanking but it would be great if KF got taken down for destroying evidence.

I know it won't but a guy's gotta have dreams.

Didn't New Zealand want to have words with them after the shootings?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

fritz posted:

Part of the reason the UK's libel laws are so horrible is because truth is not a defense there.

Truth is a defence in the UK. The hosed up part of our law on this is that the burden is on the defendant and not the plaintiff.

If you just take the basic steps of googling the key words you'd see that truth is absolutely a defence.

Proving it is the expensive and lovely part which is why we (and Canada) are popular for libel tourism suits.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Anybody have any experience with CosmicBookNews? Facebook keeps suggesting their articles, and it’s obvious whoever runs it is your typical anti Brie Larson/anti Zendaya CHUD.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Anybody have any experience with CosmicBookNews? Facebook keeps suggesting their articles, and it’s obvious whoever runs it is your typical anti Brie Larson/anti Zendaya CHUD.

I think they've come up a couple of times in this thread. I remember them claiming Disney thought Endgame was a huge flop because it only made more money than any other Marvel film ever made before and not more money than God turning Mount Everest into solid gold.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
only ever seen them post comicsgate type stuff, so them being pushed by facebook scans

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Also their name is an obvious attempt to get extra traffic from people bad at typing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I think they've come up a couple of times in this thread. I remember them claiming Disney thought Endgame was a huge flop because it only made more money than any other Marvel film ever made before and not more money than God turning Mount Everest into solid gold.

And they were claiming that Disney was buying up theater seats so Captain Marvel would look like a hit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

And they were claiming that Disney was buying up theater seats so Captain Marvel would look like a hit.

I know a dude who believes this and I frequently see him regurgitating it whenever he makes a FB post about the MCU.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The short version of UK libel laws vs. US libel laws were taught to me effectively by the McLibel case in the 1990s.

In the US, if you say "McDonald's mistreats workers and is environmentally destructive" McDonalds can only successfully sue for libel if McDonald's can prove they've never done either of those things.
In the UK, if you say "McDonald's mistreats workers and is environmentally destructive" McDonald's can successfully sue for libel unless you can prove they've done these things.

In both countries defamatory statements are not libelous if they're proven true, and libelous if they're proven false. The way you get there is different.

It's especially weird for stuff like broad scandal sheet stuff like "Celebrity is Hooked on Cocaine!" or "Celebrity Sexually Harassed People!" or whatever, because if you make them vague enough in the US, [Celebrity] would have to somehow prove they've never taken drugs or harassed someone, which is almost impossible, whereas in the UK their scandal sheet would have to prove they DID do cocaine or grope someone.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Wow, never thought I'd say this, but the US actually has its poo poo together when it comes to something. It sounds like our versions of the law does a much better job of ensuring that we can speak truth to power.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Covok posted:

Wow, never thought I'd say this, but the US actually has its poo poo together when it comes to something. It sounds like our versions of the law does a much better job of ensuring that we can speak truth to power.

First ammendment = best ammendment.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Covok posted:

Both versions are a double-edged sword, the aforementioned McLibel case shows the obvious weakness of the UK version: UK activists basically gave out the same pamphlets that were given out without incident in the US, because while McDonald's is never going to admit it's sourcing its meat from clearcut rain forests or not paying out employee overtime or whatever, they almost certainly are/were doing so, so they aren't going to be able to prove they aren't. In the UK, the activists had to prove they WERE, and McDonald's stonewalled them on giving them any documentation that would let them conclusively prove it, so they ultimately won.

On the other hand, as a million lovely editorial, political ads, and basically like... our entire current administration has proven, the US version has its flaws too. A whole lot of people in power right now would be up poo poo creek with UK libel laws. So would a lot of little people, so like I said, double edged sword.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/SjwSpiderman/status/1146906842863460352

Will manufactured outrage over a race of a fictional species being whitewashed be enough to pull Ethan's metrics up!?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
A famous case about libel in England was when famous historian and even more famous Holocaust denier David Irving got upset about being called an anti Semite by Deborah Libstadt. He took her to trial in England for libel where she has had to prove that he was anti-Semitic shithead because the burden of proof was on her even though he was the one suing her. Luckily for her though, Irving own works show him to be a gigantic anti-Semitic shithead so it wasn't too hard to prove it.
The case was kind of famous for having the Holocaust acknowledged to having occurred in official court of law in England though, just in case there was any doubt.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Dawgstar posted:

Will manufactured outrage over a race of a fictional species being whitewashed be enough to pull Ethan's metrics up!?

That Annie movie came out five years ago. These are the last gasps of a desperate man.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Skwirl posted:

First ammendment = best ammendment.
Except that your country has such an extremist view of it that they let poo poo like being able to overwhelm electoral advertising via dark money campaign groups and completely corrupt the political process.

I'll take more stringent libel laws in my country over that poo poo any day

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I mean, I'll never have to prove the holocaust happened in a court of law to avoid being sued for calling an anti semite an anti semite.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

To be honest I'm more surprised they're not angry a scantly-clad teenage girl is being recast as a woman over 18.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I mean, I'll never have to prove the holocaust happened in a court of law to avoid being sued for calling an anti semite an anti semite.

You say that, but the problem with UK law is that you can call a US Nazi a Nazi while you are both in the US and then they sue you in the UK court because the statement was repeated online. That's the "libel tourism" mentioned upthread.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The other issue is that in the US it's very difficult to impossible for [insert racist here] to sue you for saying they're a racist/Nazi. It is also very difficult for you to sue [insert racist here] for broadcasting that you're a drug addicted child rapist and your employer is a front for a massive Satanic pedophilia ring. And that something needs to be done about your filth. And here's where your offices are. Not that I want anything bad to happen, but we can't let this thing continue! :wink:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I'm more surprised they're not angry a scantly-clad teenage girl is being recast as a woman over 18.

Give them time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

me, an idiot: 'Neat, but isnt Halle Berry a little old for this role?'

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Synthbuttrange posted:

me, an idiot: 'Neat, but isnt Halle Berry a little old for this role?'

Yeah that was my first response too.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah that was my first response too.

Same here for me and my wife. I felt old after the split second of confusion.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yea my first impression was "Catwoman?!?" too.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
Do you know what happens to a crab when it's struck by lightning???

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Random Stranger posted:

You say that, but the problem with UK law is that you can call a US Nazi a Nazi while you are both in the US and then they sue you in the UK court because the statement was repeated online. That's the "libel tourism" mentioned upthread.

Can you still? I thought the US and UK both clamped down on it because it was getting ridiculous with all the poo poo the (online and offline) yellow press produces daily, swamping the UK system with all kinds of libel suits.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
Mr. Yoshida did a weird prob unintentional but kinda still insult to comics people again,

https://twitter.com/cbcebulski/status/1147679327728914432

I guess one of the bigger things is Kate Leth talking about how they messed up her run with the mandatory Civil War II crossover

https://twitter.com/kateleth/status/1147936271186087936

https://twitter.com/kateleth/status/1147936635796873216

https://twitter.com/kateleth/status/1147938140977430528

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I haven't read Hellcat since it was first published, who was put in a coma?

https://twitter.com/RianSygh/status/1147934064369733634?s=19

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read Hellcat since it was first published, who was put in a coma?

https://twitter.com/RianSygh/status/1147934064369733634?s=19

I think it was She Hulk?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That sure isn't going to be a tweet that middle aged white dudes are going to latch on to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah Thanos put she hulk in a coma at the beginning of civil war 2 and sidelined her for like a year