Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

EDIT: Unless I'm mistaken the EVGA 1660ti SC Ultra Gaming isn't listed on PCPartpicker, so I'm not entirely sure if that would be a viable option for my case + motherboard. I know the XC models are incompatible because they use 3 slots or are too long.

The SC will definitely fit in a Core V1, as will the 2-slot XC Ultra Gaming. There’s a cut-out in the frame that allows you to slip in longer cards (up to 285mm), so standard NVidia-FE-dimension cards will fit.

The biggest thing to look out for is cards that are taller because you won’t have room to attach the power connectors, and the Ventus actually looks like it’s probably too tall. Cards that are too wide are a problem too, because they won’t fit through the slot in the frame.

If you want a full-size option cheaper than the XC Ultra, Gigabyte’a two and three fan models will both fit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I'm really glad I waited to get my upgraded new system. (Which will be focused on professional animation work, with gaming on the side.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3aEv3EzMyQ

tl;dr - Ryzen 3700x matches i9-9900k performance for about $150 less, and the $500 3900x does everything better in general.

Anyway I'll aiming to order my build later next month after things shake out from people testing system configurations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

orange juche posted:

Uh what resolution do you want to play wow in?

Likely only 1366x768. Highest would be 1920x1080. The 2200g had little difficulty staying around 60fps+ at high settings/1920x1080 in WoW so unless the 3200g represents a significant downgrade it should do the trick.

I might throw a cheap video card in there down the line, but considering I’m throwing this together pretty much exclusively for WoW Classic it really doesn’t need to be very powerful. I can slot in a real video card down the road should I decide I need to, but it seems unnecessary for now considering all the video of last gen’s chip getting framerates solidly above 60 at higher graphics levels than I intend to use.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Hey folks, I'm considering buying one of these fancy new AMD processors, as step one to totally upgrade my gaming PC. So I would need a new motherboard and memory as well, and want to update the case regardless since I'll be buying a new GPU later which might not fit in current micro-ATX case.

Anyway, I'm a big dumb baby who hasn't build a PC in many years. Does the following parts list make sense:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus ATX
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
PCPartPicker list

I'm in the UK so prices might differ I guess. I wouldn't be doing any overclocking. Use case is gaming mostly, planning for this thing to last a few years (with a GPU upgrade later as I said). Have SSD and other stuff from old PC already (and/or might upgrade that stuff later as well).

Questions:

1) The CPU will come with a decent fan, right? No need to buy a separate one? I'm not going to overclock it, but if the default thing is super loud or something, might want a nicer one.

2) The memory has a latency of 16, is that overkill if I'm not overclocking? How much does it matter for gaming performance and whatnot if I instead buy something cheaper, more like 2% or 20%?

3) Last but not least, that case is definitely big enough to fit one of the stupidly huge modern GPUs, right? Like a 2080S or whatever the largest thing is, with the "extra height required"-style power cables?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

jaete posted:

Hey folks, I'm considering buying one of these fancy new AMD processors, as step one to totally upgrade my gaming PC. So I would need a new motherboard and memory as well, and want to update the case regardless since I'll be buying a new GPU later which might not fit in current micro-ATX case.

Anyway, I'm a big dumb baby who hasn't build a PC in many years. Does the following parts list make sense:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus ATX
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
PCPartPicker list

I'm in the UK so prices might differ I guess. I wouldn't be doing any overclocking. Use case is gaming mostly, planning for this thing to last a few years (with a GPU upgrade later as I said). Have SSD and other stuff from old PC already (and/or might upgrade that stuff later as well).

Questions:

1) The CPU will come with a decent fan, right? No need to buy a separate one? I'm not going to overclock it, but if the default thing is super loud or something, might want a nicer one.

2) The memory has a latency of 16, is that overkill if I'm not overclocking? How much does it matter for gaming performance and whatnot if I instead buy something cheaper, more like 2% or 20%?

3) Last but not least, that case is definitely big enough to fit one of the stupidly hu ge modern GPUs, right? Like a 2080S or whatever the largest thing is, with the "extra height required"-style power cables?

1. Yes, good enough to get most of overclocking potential. Also decently quiet. Still I'd get something fancy later on, just to get that last 100MHz of boost.
2. Quick rule of memory perf: multiply CL by frequency, so 3200 CL14 is as fast as 3466 CL16. Mind you it's quick but not completely right, good enough for gaming perf. Don't go over 3600 though: over that infinity fabric goes into half memory ratio mode.
3. Looks like it will fit those, with drive cage removed. It looks kind of dated. Why not something nicer like Meshify from Fractal Design, or more expensive (but my fav as of late) Phanteks P600s?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

jaete posted:

I'm in the UK so prices might differ I guess.
You can switch PCPartPicker to UK to get local prices, it has nearly all of the major online retailers on it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

So I got this build so far:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (€89.89 @ Megekko)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€159.00 @ Megekko)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€128.95 @ Megekko)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€233.53 @ Megekko)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (€79.00 @ Megekko)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Ultra Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€144.95 @ CD-ROM-LAND)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm Fan (€25.99 @ Paradigit)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan (€29.95 @ Paradigit)
Total: €917.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-07 21:14 CEST+0200

Which of these mobos should I pick? Afaik there's like no OC headroom and going over 3200Mhz RAM is not as helpful as expected so I don't think I will be overclocking much at all? So is there any point to better chipset then?
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/ For 142.85€ (120€ at Amazon)
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X470-F-GAMING/ For 208.91€

Already bought the PSU for cheaper so I won't be changing that.

Edit: paying 200 euros for old chipset sounds kinda dumb when X570 starts a bit below that but I haven't really looked what those cheaper ones look like. Uuh.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 7, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

jaete posted:

Hey folks, I'm considering buying one of these fancy new AMD processors
Only thing I'd say is that Mobo supports a crazy rear end amount of RAM so maybe get one 32G stick or 2x16G so you have more room to expand later.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Thinking about upgrading because of the release. I currently have an i5-4670k that I got in 2013, so that's probably how often I upgrade, maybe slightly more frequently since I'll be making more money over time.

- I won't be upgrading from my 1070 GTX and I game at 1440p.
- I plan to overclock, probably with a 360 AIO since I got the LL 011D case. Custom loop sounds cool, but quite expensive.
- I just game and browse the web

Was thinking about the 3700X since I've never had the i7 level CPU (only i5). I do see that the 9700k wins in gaming, but maybe not as significant at 1440p. It also OCs better. I have access to a Microcenter so both CPUs are $330 but the 3700X has the $50 discount with a mobo instead of $30 for 9700k. Think the 9700k is worth $20 more? I suppose I should also consider the 3600 or 3600X vs the 9500k though.

I also thought that the new X570 boards could be nice for when I get a new GPU maybe next summer assuming nvidia releases a new process or whatever it's called. Any recommendations there for Microcenter options?

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 7, 2019

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sininu posted:

So I got this build so far:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (€89.89 @ Megekko)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€159.00 @ Megekko)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€128.95 @ Megekko)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€233.53 @ Megekko)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (€79.00 @ Megekko)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Ultra Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€144.95 @ CD-ROM-LAND)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan (€29.95 @ Paradigit)
Total: €917.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-07 21:14 CEST+0200

Which of these mobos should I pick? Afaik there's like no OC headroom and going over 3200Mhz RAM is not as helpful as expected so I don't think I will be overclocking much at all? So is there any point to better chipset then?
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/ For 142.85€ (120€ at Amazon)
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X470-F-GAMING/ For 208.91€

Already bought the PSU for cheaper so I won't be changing that.

Edit: paying 200 euros for old chipset sounds kinda dumb when X570 starts a bit below that but I haven't really looked what those cheaper ones look like. Uuh.

IF the motherboard supports the frequency up to 3600MHz CL16 you can push a Ryzen 3XXX that far on memory quite easily actually, if you can find memory of that speed for an acceptable price. AMD says the memory can go to 3733MHz without dropping the fabric to half speed. Apparently the fabric speed is now decoupled entirely from the memory speed, so memory incompatibility issues should now be resolved, you can basically run almost whatever RAM but 3733 is diminishing returns.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 7, 2019

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I'm on the hunt for the smallest mATX case - anyone have any recommendations? Being small is the main feature I'm looking for; I don't need drive mounts or radiator compatibility or fancy cable routing, I just need it to be compact. The components I'm putting into the case is a mATX board, Wrath Spire CPU cooler (54mm), an m.2 drive, and either an ATX or SFX PSU (ideally ATX but I can move parts around to get a SFX sized one).

I've found this silly looking thing which, while the size is around what I'm looking for, the tempered glass, LED fan, and presence isn't really doing it for me. This'll be hanging out on a shelf with a Node 804 (black w/ covered up window) and a Ncase M1 (black), so I'd like to not have this case stand out too much.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 7, 2019

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
If price is no object... the Sliger Cerberus is a well known small form factor mATX case, basically NCase sized but a bit taller.

https://www.sliger.com/products/cases/cerberus/

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AbNeht4tAE

Tech Jesus has words about the Ryzen 5 3600, and apparently they've had it a while via third party, so they're first with the words.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

So is the 3900k basically as good as it’s going to get for the foreseeable future? It seems like a good time to upgrade.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

poisonpill posted:

So is the 3900k basically as good as it’s going to get for the foreseeable future? It seems like a good time to upgrade.

3950x is coming *soon* but I would caution that a 16 core 32 thread CPU is going to really really love having ample power delivery, so you would really want to be spending money on like an MSI Godlike motherboard to match.

Also I have no real idea why you would want the 3950x, other than the fact that it also contains the absolute best binned chips which top out at 4.7GHz in single core boosting.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 7, 2019

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

poisonpill posted:

If you are building a PC for productivity and work, no question as good as it gets until yea...3950X and Threadrippers come out for a much bigger cost. For gaming it's overkill and you might as well get either 3700X if you still want great productivity + solid gaming performance OR if you want to max out FPS on 1080p for competitive gaming, and have money to burn, you might still prefer high-end intel chips instead.

If anyone's looking for best value for best jack-of-all-trades performance tho, as the link to tech jesus above demonstrates - 3600 is likely going to be it for a while.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

An important slide from the GN review on CPU power consumption and "Will my board handle a Ryzen 3000 series chip".

Basically anything up to the point of slapping a 3900X into a motherboard will be doable if you have any half decent AM4 board. I wouldn't want to overclock the 3900x on a previous generation B450 board because you would be pulling a hell of a lot of power. You can probably overclock a 3900x on a decent x470 or x370 if you can get a bios update though.

Gamers Nexus notes that the AMD "Production Samples" they received for review directly from AMD were most likely pre-binned because they opened the boxes and the CPUs had thermal paste on the edges of the chips.

You can see the probably more accurate results in their R5 3600 where it took 1.43v to get a stable overclock.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 7, 2019

baromodo
Nov 14, 2012
Hello! I'm confused about what to do for new Mini ITX Ryzen 3000 builds?

Which Mini ITX mobos will work out of the box with a new Ryzen 3600?

PC part picker warns that some motherboards will need a BIOS update, but which ones? And of course, how can one even do an update without a CPU in there in the first place? You'd need a backwards-compatible processor in there first before putting in the new Ryzen, for new builds that's not an option.

I want to avoid BIOS crap and just get one that works right away.

According to PC part picker's compatibility filter, the only X470 chipset mobo I could choose is the ASRock - Fatal1ty X470 Gaming-ITX/ac (there's also a Biostar one, but screw that, same issue anyway).

However I still get the BIOS compatibility warning when I pick the ASRock.

(The Asus ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming is filtered out, not that I want that one anyway - too expensive).

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I’m waffling between the Ryzen 3700x and 3900x. For my new build I have $1500 budget and I already own a 2080 and a 1440p 165hz monitor. I only really play games on my pc. Is the 3900x worth the jump?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

baromodo posted:

PC part picker warns that some motherboards will need a BIOS update, but which ones? And of course, how can one even do an update without a CPU in there in the first place? You'd need a backwards-compatible processor in there first before putting in the new Ryzen, for new builds that's not an option.

According to PC part picker's compatibility filter, the only X470 chipset mobo I could choose is the ASRock - Fatal1ty X470 Gaming-ITX/ac (there's also a Biostar one, but screw that, same issue anyway).

(The Asus ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming is filtered out, not that I want that one anyway - too expensive).

There aren't any mini ITX boards with bios flashback, the ability to update bios without a CPU. I think there's a couple of X570 mini ITX boards though that will work out of the box.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

baromodo posted:

All not 570 boards will need a bios update for a while. You could get a $50 athelon to do it with. From the AMD thread:

General caution that while newly made 4XX boards should support Zen2 out of the box, it will take a while for them to enter distribution channels and they'll intermingle with older boards for a while, making ordering ones online potentially hazardous.

When Zen+ came out microcenter had tons of B350 open box boards as only the ones with the "Zen2000 ready" stickers had been flashed and they were identical besides said sticker.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I have a very single core and gpu heavy workload with after effects and octane. I’m super happy with my 9900k build so far, but I still have 45 days left to decide if I keep it, should I send it all in and go for a 3900 instead? Looks like it would be a ~200 usd premium but that’s fine.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

orange juche posted:

An important slide from the GN review on CPU power consumption and "Will my board handle a Ryzen 3000 series chip".

Basically anything up to the point of slapping a 3900X into a motherboard will be doable if you have any half decent AM4 board. I wouldn't want to overclock the 3900x on a previous generation B450 board because you would be pulling a hell of a lot of power. You can probably overclock a 3900x on a decent x470 or x370 if you can get a bios update though.

Gamers Nexus notes that the AMD "Production Samples" they received for review directly from AMD were most likely pre-binned because they opened the boxes and the CPUs had thermal paste on the edges of the chips.

You can see the probably more accurate results in their R5 3600 where it took 1.43v to get a stable overclock.

170w is far less than I expected for the 3900. That's pretty insane, especially after seeing all the benchmarks that have come out today.

I wonder how the 3800x is going to fare.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

170w is far less than I expected for the 3900. That's pretty insane, especially after seeing all the benchmarks that have come out today.

I wonder how the 3800x is going to fare.

The 3900x was a Golden Sample most likely according to GN, it had obviously been binned before being shipped to them. You're probably more likely going to see something like the 2700's power draw on an overclock. That said, that 3900X's power draw should be doable by anything that can overclock a 2700X.

Also lol at the all core number for the 9900k. 267.6W.

You can definitely tell there's a serious power impact going from 8 to 12 cores, as power consumption jumps from 102.6W on the 3700x up to 147.6W at stock clocks on the 12 core, which is way outside the stated TDP for the CPU (105w). A decent motherboard should still have absolutely no problem feeding it though.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 8, 2019

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
First dip I’ve seen in i9 9900k pricing, a whole $20 for $475 on Newegg. Promo code EMCTCTY23

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

At what point do we revise the OP of the thread? I don't think an 8700k can be recommended in any fashion any longer.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 8, 2019

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

orange juche posted:

At what point do we revise the OP of the thread? I don't think any Intel chip can be recommended in any fashion any longer.

Ftfy

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

skylined! posted:

First dip I’ve seen in i9 9900k pricing, a whole $20 for $475 on Newegg. Promo code EMCTCTY23

It's been down to $449.99 for a few days at Microcenters and the 9700k down at $329.99 as well, so I'm imagining that's pretty close to where they'll settle. Just gonna take a few days for the e-tailers to catch up.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

orange juche posted:

At what point do we revise the OP of the thread? I don't think an 8700k can be recommended in any fashion any longer.

I've been waiting for the Zen2 launch before putting anything together; if it's slow tomorrow I'll write a draft.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Let's not count the chickens before they're hatched. When you price out a Zen 2 system it's pretty loving pricy actually, as the 3600mhz RAM you want/need to beat Intel CPUs bloody is a bit expensive or hard to source. It seems there's just not a lot of 3600 CL16 kits in existence, and to get 3600 CL16 to even work probably calls for a more modern board with better traces for the memory, as memory trace routing has changed a bit in the last couple years.

(There's Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600 CL16 16GB kits on pcpartpicker for $199 USD but then you're stuck with RGB RAM, which may not be a positive if you don't like your PC lighting up like a christmas tree.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 8, 2019

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

SnatchRabbit posted:

I’m waffling between the Ryzen 3700x and 3900x. For my new build I have $1500 budget and I already own a 2080 and a 1440p 165hz monitor. I only really play games on my pc. Is the 3900x worth the jump?

CrazyLoon posted:

For gaming it's overkill and you might as well get either 3700X if you still want great productivity + solid gaming performance OR if you want to max out FPS on 1080p for competitive gaming, and have money to burn, you might still prefer high-end intel chips instead.

If anyone's looking for best value for best jack-of-all-trades performance tho, as the link to tech jesus above demonstrates - 3600 is likely going to be it for a while.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

To its credit, the 3900X combined with a decent X570 motherboard and RAM that is at least 3600 CL16 does beat Intel's 9900k even in single threaded poo poo and most games, but at that point the 9900K PC is cheaper tbh.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

orange juche posted:

Let's not count the chickens before they're hatched. When you price out a Zen 2 system it's pretty loving pricy actually, as the 3600mhz RAM you want/need to beat Intel CPUs bloody is a bit expensive or hard to source. It seems there's just not a lot of 3600 CL16 kits in existence, and to get 3600 CL16 to even work probably calls for a more modern board with better traces for the memory, as memory trace routing has changed a bit in the last couple years.

(There's Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600 CL16 16GB kits on pcpartpicker for $199 USD but then you're stuck with RGB RAM, which may not be a positive if you don't like your PC lighting up like a christmas tree.

https://tpucdn.com/review/amd-zen-2-memory-performance-scaling-benchmark/images/relative-performance-games-1280-720.png

Nonsense, the gap between 3600C16 versus dirt cheap 3200C16 is next to negligible.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That graph is all hosed up. Look at the command rate on the 3600. It's set to 2T instead of 1T on the 3200

Command rate - is the delay (in clock cycles) between when chip select is asserted (i.e. the RAM is selected) and commands (i.e. Activate Row) can be issued to the RAM. Typical values are 1T (one clock cycle) and 2T (two clock cycles).

That means it's taking twice as long to send a command to the RAM on the 3600 kit vs the 3200 kit. It's a bogus performance graph because it's misconfigured.

That graph is absolute dogshit.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 8, 2019

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
lol where's your graph showing that 3600 CL16 RAM lets Ryzens overtake a 9900K somehow

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Unless you literally do absolutely nothing with your computer except play video games and a 5 to 8% framerate increase matters more to you than a hundred bucks in your pocket, there's just no justification for intel CPUs unless they drop their prices. RAM speed is really not relevant.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 8, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Zen2 is pretty much:

• Figure out which CPU you want, 3600 or 3700x or 3900x. They're all fairly close in tasks that don't use the additional cores. If you're using the extra cores, then obviously get the one with the cores that best match your use case.
  • Pick a motherboard based on features you want from b450/x570 mostly. x470 does seem somewhat outdated now given that the low-mid end of x570 is just x470 but better (I'd take a $170 MSI x570 gaming plus over most $250+ x470 boards). There might be some justification for x470 boards if you want wifi and don't want to pay a lot, although b450 has that covered too. If you're getting a 3900x make sure it has decent VRMs.
  • If you picked an x570 board, check if it has an annoying fan by seeing how many people are complaining about it.
  • Determine if you want an aftermarket cooler or not and if so how beefy of one. They'll be quieter and maybe improve boost consistency somewhat, because zen2 hits a thermal wall. Wait for more reviews maybe.
  • Decide if you want 16gb, 32gb, or more of RAM.
  • Do you want to tinker with RAM? If yes, the 3000 C15 and 3200 C16 2x8gb micron rev.e kits over clock to 3600 C14 or at least 3600 C16 and are dirt cheap. If no, find a reasonable 3200-3600 C16 kit based on your budget. If no but you still want fast RAM and don't care about money, probably buy a 3200 C14 bdie kit and run xmp or just copy someone else's timings for 3600. I'd probably wait for in-depth reviews here if you're not in a rush. 1usmus from techpowerup will release an in-depth memory guide for zen2 in a week or so. Generally, the 3600 kits with good timings cost a high premium but are no better binned than the slightly slower kits with better timings. But it takes research and a little effort vs just ticking on xmp.

The 9900k would be a legitimate contender if Intel had dropped it to ~$399-$419. It's still an option for people who play a select few titles competitively, but for most people there's no real difference. You're going to save money with zen2 and you're not going to miss a 0%-8% framerate difference in situations where your GPU isn't holding you back. If you're the kind of person who the 9900k fits you'll probably know it and not be asking the thread. If you don't know, you're probably going to save money and be happy with a 3600 or 3700x. 9900k is a better gaming-only buy than the 3900x if you don't care about price.

Also, I'd avoid the fallacy of "future proofing". Buy what you need now for the things you're going to do now. Things will either continue being stagnant and what you bought will remain fine or things will make a reasonable (20%-30%) leap in 2021-2022 that you can't prepare for anyway.

orange juche posted:

To its credit, the 3900X combined with a decent X570 motherboard and RAM that is at least 3600 CL16 does beat Intel's 9900k even in single threaded poo poo and most games, but at that point the 9900K PC is cheaper tbh.
x570 makes no difference unless you need the ports or extra pcie3 lanes. All motherboards, except the handful of t-topology and the ones with 2 ram slots, support the same RAM speeds because RAM speed and compatibility is determined by the CPU. A select few of the cheaper B450 and lower boards don't let you go past 1.4V voltage on RAM if you are manually overclocking, but generally you only need ~1.38-1.39 tops for those timings.

There's no everyday overclock headroom on zen2. Especially when it comes to the 3900x. Even with a custom loop. Thermals are a big limiting factor to clock speeds for zen2. The 3600 may have some overclock headroom, but your motherboard isn't going to hold you back there unless you're rocking a low end b350 or a320.

I think I disagreed with more stuff too, but I can't remember it. Zen2 is awesome but part of its awesomeness is just how little everything else about your system matters, and I don't think that has really set in yet. RAM speed and timings do matter in my opinion, but as long as you're buying something reasonable it will work out fine. I do think it's unreasonable for most people to pay super high premiums on 3600+ kits that are identical to sub 3600 kits and just a few bios settings away from being equal.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 8, 2019

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm going to regret this x570 board. I loving hate chipset fans and I can already hear the whining in my head. I haven't even assembled it yet.

But at microcenter it was cheaper than the b450 I wanted because of their launch bundling.

Oh well I guess I'll get a pci4 sad eventually

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I'm going to regret this x570 board. I loving hate chipset fans and I can already hear the whining in my head. I haven't even assembled it yet.

But at microcenter it was cheaper than the b450 I wanted because of their launch bundling.

Oh well I guess I'll get a pci4 sad eventually

ilkhan posted:

There any boards with a waterbuck on the chipset that don't cost a million bucks? A couple extra fittings is nothing compared to the potential noise of a tiny rear end fan running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

None as of yet that I saw via cursory google search, but I can't see someone like EKWB letting that go for too long. The opportunity to charge a couple hundred bucks for a waterblock for your chipset is definitely tempting i think. Waterblock would possibly actually be more reliable, as a chipset fan can go out without you noticing, and then rip your poo poo.

E: there is the ASRock X570 Aqua, but it's $1000, and it's limited edition, there will only be 999 of them.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 8, 2019