Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Yeah, Brutes should be the best at soloing. Blasters die a lot and shine hardest in a full team where they can just hose damage downfield while other people manage aggro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Definitely do not reroll to blaster if you're searching for 'easy to solo'. If I had to rate based on my own PCs, I would say

Brute
Arachnos Soldier
Scrapper
Controller
Sentinel
Blaster

I have 0 experience with anything outside these 6, and my controller is one that I've seen people note as one of the best for controller damage (ill/rad), or else it probably wouldnt be so high

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Top 6 solo classes:

Stalker
Stalker
Stalker
Stalker
Brute
Scrapper

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

tooterfish posted:

Top 6 solo classes:

Stalker
Stalker
Stalker
Stalker
Brute
Scrapper

:hai:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Tabletops posted:

what's y'alls favorite ranged/blaster (or whatever) powerset? I want something that is fun and flashy but also powerful enough for good solo, I guess?

my first character bird justice is lvl 26 now. street justice/elec brute. he's pretty fun but a bit squishy. i realize a blaster or whatever is probably going to be a lot squishier, but I was hoping that they could maybe solo better due to the damage and ranged ability? I don't know.

I took a psi/time blaster to Incarnate. Psi feels kind of like a fifth wheel in large group content because your AOE is horrible, but because you have a damage type that is rarely resisted and it comes with debuffs built in, it's actually plenty good at soloing. Between having an Aim in your primary and a Build Up in secondary, you can weave instant snipes into your combat rotation, which makes you extremely effective at cutting down small groups like you'd find in solo content. Time has some psi damage punches, good single-target control, and Time Lord and Temporal Healing are some of the best powers a blaster can get in a secondary set.

That said, I wouldn't actually put psi and time together having played them to 50, because you end up wanting to skip more time powers than you might otherwise because you're already heavy on psi damage. Both sets also have several control powers and you just won't realistically be able to make use of more than a few. I think they're both great power sets but if I had to start my character over, I would make him psi/rad, or rad/time.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 6, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

KittyEmpress posted:

Definitely do not reroll to blaster if you're searching for 'easy to solo'. If I had to rate based on my own PCs, I would say

Brute
Arachnos Soldier
Scrapper
Controller
Sentinel
Blaster

I have 0 experience with anything outside these 6, and my controller is one that I've seen people note as one of the best for controller damage (ill/rad), or else it probably wouldnt be so high

Because is just who I am, I'm going to say that Mastermind may be slow to start, is the easiest to solo with.
Just take a secondary that isn't a snoozefest.

Bots/Dark is fuuuuuucking unkillable.
Demon/Thermal or Cold is also a very potent combo. You have more flexibility if your pets can self-heal (Bots, Demons and Soldiers).

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Oh yeah, I also have a mastermind at 50 who is demons/cold, and it's pretty tough and solo-able. I just forget about her often because I havent touched her much post 50. She was definitely easy to level.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Tabletops posted:

what's y'alls favorite ranged/blaster (or whatever) powerset? I want something that is fun and flashy but also powerful enough for good solo, I guess?

Try an Ice/Fire blaster.

Ice Blast is not heavily resisted*, has two single target holds and all-around high base damage (because it lacks a sniper), the lack of early AOE is mitigated by /Fire's early Fire Sword Circle, and Ice's lategame AOE is top-tier thanks to Blizzard (and Ice Storm)'s... shall we say casual relationship with the AOE target cap.

Cauterizing Aura also means you never need to worry about endurance, it's silly how good that power is.

Edit: *And in a way that doesn't make me furious like Psy damage. Psy isn't commonly resisted but the things that do resist psy tend to resist it 70-90%. There's nothing quite like brawling down a bank vault door redside because using your powers on it is a waste of end.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 6, 2019

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I'd say MM and Brute are about equal for soloing, with Brute having an edge for soloing larger groups and MMs being better for fewer but tougher mobs. Specifically I have a TW/Ele that can solo +4/x8 at 50 like it's nothing.

Most people seem to recommend stacking pure resist on /Ele but I prefer filling in defense. Just a little defense goes a long way for adding survivability with Ele's naturally great resists. It also helps cover the toxic gap and shores up your resilience against mobs with damage types you're not as resistant to as S/L/E. I managed to softcap ranged and melee defense and it's like being a demigod - nothing can touch you and when it does it's usually just a tickle. Add the Ageless incarnate with debuff protection for tough pulls and you're incredibly stronk.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

LordSaturn posted:

I like water blast, beam rifle's a good choice too, sets with mechanics own. I don't think there's any weak ranged sets, they're all pretty much fine

that said blasters aren't much easier to solo on than brutes. you're gonna rely heavily on bulldozing everyone with horrible AoE spam before they can hit you, range doesn't really enter into it

your brute really shouldn't be very squishy, maybe your build is shonky? what elec armor powers have you taken?

this is my uhh, build? I guess.

also, i ended up making a radiation melee guy because the powers sounded neat while I was going to make a ranged guy.

i went with bioarmor, is it any good? it seemed pretty neat and thematic.

i couldn't see the uhh, elite archetypes though during creation. is there a quest or something you have to do to unlock them?

also: attuned enhancements. people keep saying they scale forever, but some of them say their effectiveness only scales to ~25 or 35 or whatever. what's the deal? do they stop scaling or not?

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 6, 2019

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Bio armor is, in my opinion, one of the ways they should have taken regen. It’s like if regen kept overcompensating for damage and you keep building new giant callouses.

It has larger holes than some of the other resistance sets, so make sure to account for that. You just end up needing to use your regen stuff and defense adaptation more against a handful of damage types, but it is nice that those tools are around to help deal with the holes, unlike some sets that are just straight hosed when going against their weaknesses.

I do really love the three adaptations. Just default to efficient since that has no downsides and switch to offensive or defensive as the situation requires. This is one of the armor sets that ends up with essentially no downtime.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Sets have a natural level range. 25-50, 10-20, 15-40, etc. Attuned sets act at your level, or their max, which ever is lower. They allow your set bonuses to level down with you when you team for lower level content. Exemplaring down, your sets shift to your new level, so do a level 25 Tf like Penelope Yin's on your level 50, with all level 50 sets, you lose your set bonuses. Do the same with all Attuned Sets, you keep all your set bonuses. If you had attuned sets that can only be slotted at level 25 or higher, and you did Positron's Tf, a level 15 Tf, you lose those set bonuses attuned or not.

A common thing to do in the PvP scene, such as it was, was to slot everything at level 30, because the zone Siren's Call was a hot spot PvP zone, and set your level to 30. The ease of geting attuned sets on the private servers made such moot.

Also, you may not know this, but you can stack up to 5 copies of a set. I bring that up because you have a different set in each power there when you could specialize your set bonuses toward one goal, like recharge, or more defense.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Fire, Water, and Ice are all solid blaster sets. Sonic is great if you team a lot, Dark is good for soloists.

Dareon posted:

Personally I'm hoping there's a dedicated effort to get Primalist working, but that may be slightly out of scope for the team.

Primalist was dropped by the Live devs because it was Just Not Much Fun. With that in mind, I really don't see the point of resurrecting it.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

winterwerefox posted:

Sets have a natural level range. 25-50, 10-20, 15-40, etc. Attuned sets act at your level, or their max, which ever is lower. They allow your set bonuses to level down with you when you team for lower level content. Exemplaring down, your sets shift to your new level, so do a level 25 Tf like Penelope Yin's on your level 50, with all level 50 sets, you lose your set bonuses. Do the same with all Attuned Sets, you keep all your set bonuses. If you had attuned sets that can only be slotted at level 25 or higher, and you did Positron's Tf, a level 15 Tf, you lose those set bonuses attuned or not.

A common thing to do in the PvP scene, such as it was, was to slot everything at level 30, because the zone Siren's Call was a hot spot PvP zone, and set your level to 30. The ease of geting attuned sets on the private servers made such moot.

Also, you may not know this, but you can stack up to 5 copies of a set. I bring that up because you have a different set in each power there when you could specialize your set bonuses toward one goal, like recharge, or more defense.

i had no idea about the stacking. thank you! that is pretty huge:\

that said, what are some recommended attuned sets for melee skills? i've been doing the yellow ones because well, they're a lot cheaper. but i don't know how to craft attuned ones, the non attuned versions are pretty cheap to craft.

i really wanted to do the gladiator one but it's like 40 million influence for a full set.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 6, 2019

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

tooterfish posted:

Top 6 solo classes:

Stalker
Stalker
Stalker
Stalker
Brute
Scrapper

this reminds me, I should make another stalker.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

my BS/SD Stalker has replaced my Kin/Elec as the favorite child. SJ/Inv was fun to level but it's a huge pain in the rear end to play around his damage type weaknesses and the end situation is loving dire if he ever exemplars down. I want to try rad/rad or rad/energy since energy is elec but dodge but i cant seem to make a character i like for it yet.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

What's the best way to increase the durability of an Ice/Cold Corruptor? Leadership powers, Combat Jumping? I've already put extra slots in Health.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Tabletops posted:

also, i ended up making a radiation melee guy because the powers sounded neat while I was going to make a ranged guy.

i went with bioarmor, is it any good? it seemed pretty neat and thematic.

i couldn't see the uhh, elite archetypes though during creation. is there a quest or something you have to do to unlock them?

also: attuned enhancements. people keep saying they scale forever, but some of them say their effectiveness only scales to ~25 or 35 or whatever. what's the deal? do they stop scaling or not?

If you want to 'not be squishy' you need to slot up those defenses and add some +resistance. It really makes a big difference.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tabletops posted:

Obvious, huge, glaring problem: You skipped your mez protection. Every two-bit thug that can stun you, let alone anything truly threatening, will suppress your toggles and thus kill any amount of survivability you might otherwise have. And you'll have to re-toggle Lightning Field every five seconds.

I'm also gonna say you over-slotted your attacks vs. protection toggles for where you're at. YMMV, but my current strategy is to just fill out every attack with 1 accuracy and 3 damage, maybe 1 endurance if it's a beefy 15+ cost, and then move on. Toggles start with a single endurance and then ramp up to 3 resistance/defense/whatever as I go. (Also not a bad idea to slip Lightning Field some slots; I like to start with 2 end and 1 accuracy. Damage can come later once I've got everything else sorted.)

Maybe I'm just blind to their benefits but I feel like most low level IO sets are worthless because they have truly minuscule set bonuses and often end up with weird deficiencies that ruin the whole point of slotting them in the first place - clearly you've noticed this with the extra non-set enhancements tacked onto some of these powers.

I'm guessing you couldn't find anything better/synergistic with the set in there, so fair enough, but the freebie P2W enhancement in Heavy Blow is out of date and the proc has shut off.

On a final note, you're not quite there yet but level 28 brings Energize which will give you a heal on demand to shore up your survivability further.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Tabletops posted:

i had no idea about the stacking. thank you! that is pretty huge:\

that said, what are some recommended attuned sets for melee skills? i've been doing the yellow ones because well, they're a lot cheaper. but i don't know how to craft attuned ones, the non attuned versions are pretty cheap to craft.

i really wanted to do the gladiator one but it's like 40 million influence for a full set.

If you go to the Crafted Enhancements tab on the Auction House, there is a section called Attuned Enhancements. The price to buy them is the same as buying a leveled enhancement. Everything there is something someone put up for sale. Everything on the Auction House is ran through a filter, converting it to the level you want to buy, and Attuned counts as a level. So ANY crafted enhancement anyone puts up on the Auction House is Attuned, you just need to buy it that way. Crafting it yourself, Attuned requires Catalysts. They drop for a level 50 character, or you buy them from the Auction House or Merit Vendor. If you know how to combine TO/DO/SO enhancements, its done the same. Slot the crafted set enhancement you want to attune, it will bring up a combine menu. Combine it with a catalyst and its now attuned.

Sets for a melee character with Electric Armor are ones that give a positional defense type. Look for things giving Melee defense first. You are in Melee all the time. This will stack well with a resistance based set that Electric is. Exact sets i dont have advice on that, i tend to just look at Set Bonuses, and work where and how i can get them slotted.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Remora posted:

What's the best way to increase the durability of an Ice/Cold Corruptor? Leadership powers, Combat Jumping? I've already put extra slots in Health.

A fair amount will come from set bonuses, but for the powers themselves, roughly in order of helpfulness:

Arctic Fog is a good source of defense with some mild resists.
Weave from the Fighting pool provides a sizeable amount, but you also have to take a probably useless power in Boxing or Kick, as well as Tough. Tough you don't necessarily need to run, but it's a good spot for two IOs that are always on: Gladiator's Armor and Steadfast Protection
Maneuvers from Leadership will give you slightly less than Arctic Fog, and it has also has a high endurance cost, but every bit helps (plus, it helps your team too.)
Hover/Combat Jumping gives a small amount of defense, and the endurance costs are light.

And once you hit 35, you can also unlock the Patron Power Pools on redside and pick up Scorpion Shield for a big boost to just smashing/lethal defense.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Arctic Fog is a good source of defense with some mild resists.

Stealth + Protection powers are in a weird spot because their resistances are generally really good considering they're A) available on a squishy and B) an aura that applies to your teammates as well but I also understand that even their token amount of defense (about 6~% tops on a Corruptor) can be meaningful if you've stacked it with other sources.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Stealth + Protection powers are in a weird spot because their resistances are generally really good considering they're A) available on a squishy and B) an aura that applies to your teammates as well but I also understand that even their token amount of defense (about 6~% tops on a Corruptor) can be meaningful if you've stacked it with other sources.

I remember seeing that Controllers got like 30% resists on their ancillary armor powers and thinking that was super nuts. And it sort of is, until you realize you're taking the brunt of every status effect that comes your way, and your HP pool is still minuscule. :v:

Makes me wonder if the developers regretted how easy and prevalent it got to build for defense with IOs. For all the poo poo they rightfully got for the occasional anti-fun attitudes, it surprises me immensely that defense stacking on ATs it wasn't "meant for" never got the nerf bat taken to it. I feel like most designers would look at that and start having night terrors about "encouraging build diversity" and "the health of the game" or something.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Oh god I've got another week until I can maybe sorta kinda get back into this and I wanna play NOW. I've heard about the game beyond character creation and base building but Ive been through so little of it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I remember seeing that Controllers got like 30% resists on their ancillary armor powers and thinking that was super nuts. And it sort of is, until you realize you're taking the brunt of every status effect that comes your way, and your HP pool is still minuscule. :v:

Makes me wonder if the developers regretted how easy and prevalent it got to build for defense with IOs. For all the poo poo they rightfully got for the occasional anti-fun attitudes, it surprises me immensely that defense stacking on ATs it wasn't "meant for" never got the nerf bat taken to it. I feel like most designers would look at that and start having night terrors about "encouraging build diversity" and "the health of the game" or something.

the player fury over Enhancement Diversification was extreme, I can't imagine they were eager to nerf invention sets when they saw what people were doing with them

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Make your character early? The costume creator is huuuuuge and time consuming.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

LordSaturn posted:

the player fury over Enhancement Diversification was extreme, I can't imagine they were eager to nerf invention sets when they saw what people were doing with them

It was me, I was the angry one. Give me back my six-damage enhancements fire blaster and let me lay waste to all I see before me.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Mystic Mongol posted:

They're aliens of pure energy who are squids, merged with a human, to get a baffling array of powers.

They, and all other archetypes, are unlocked by default.

:goonsay: The squids are patterned after an alien called the Mefnanim. The true form of Kheldians is the glowing ball of light, because they're energy beings. The true form of Nictus (and Warshades) is a ball of inky darkness, but you don't see unbound Warshades. The shapeshifting is because they "remember" stuff with which they'd previously merged and can turn into it.

For the sake of completeness and to save the trouble of looking it up yourself, Bright Nova are Mefnanim, Dark Novas are Hulnanim, White Dwarves are Kurukt, and Black Dwarves are Ruktur.

To add something actually relevant, while I really liked my Warshade back in the day, they're fiddly bastards to build and play, and I don't have a ton of experience with Peacebringers, but I don't think the whole "Warshades are pretty good, Peacebringers less so" thing has changed.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

MechaCrash posted:

:goonsay: The squids are patterned after an alien called the Mefnanim. The true form of Kheldians is the glowing ball of light, because they're energy beings. The true form of Nictus (and Warshades) is a ball of inky darkness, but you don't see unbound Warshades. The shapeshifting is because they "remember" stuff with which they'd previously merged and can turn into it.

For the sake of completeness and to save the trouble of looking it up yourself, Bright Nova are Mefnanim, Dark Novas are Hulnanim, White Dwarves are Kurukt, and Black Dwarves are Ruktur.

To add something actually relevant, while I really liked my Warshade back in the day, they're fiddly bastards to build and play, and I don't have a ton of experience with Peacebringers, but I don't think the whole "Warshades are pretty good, Peacebringers less so" thing has changed.

It has, actually; Dwarf Mire no longer trivially stacks with the human one, so they can't get the obsene bursts of damage they used to. By endgame (near?) perma-light form is possible and human-only is very standard.

Also the things that come out of Shadow Cysts are unbound nictus, I'm pretty sure; they just have really short lifespans outside of them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there anything compelling about Invincibility over Willpower for a Scrapper?

Kinda feels like WP is plenty tough and also has a bunch of bonus flavor.

Or maybe Bio armor with minimal FX.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Bio armor honestly seems OP compared to a lot of other sets. Minimal FX is great but it doesn't change the poop looking graphics for some abilities (like ablative armor).

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

How can it be OP when it messes with dress-up, the true endgame?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Spanish Matlock posted:

It was me, I was the angry one. Give me back my six-damage enhancements fire blaster and let me lay waste to all I see before me.

I actually did this; about 4 months after launch I rolled a fire/dev blaster following some powerlevelling guide in the forums. Stamina had 6 endmods, Hasten had six recharge, and Targeting Drone had six +ToHit. With end, recharge and accuracy taken care of, each of the four attacks was filled with six sweet, sweet damage SOs.

If not for ED, the top builds would all have been a carbon copy of this.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Tenik posted:

How can it be OP when it messes with dress-up, the true endgame?

It only messes with stuff for a total of a second on two click abilities. The poop shell shows up and breaks off instantly.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

There were subtle changes, eventually. Tweaks to make positional defense slightly less prevalent and elemental defense slightly more prevalent for instance. And also make resistance set bonuses worth a drat. Some of the really, really flagrant stuff did get nerfed hard - Blessing of the Zephyr had an insane set bonus value that led to people taking four travel powers just to stack the defense. And yes, these same players threw the mother of all tantrums when they nerfed it, just like the old days.

There's also the iTrial mobs' free extra chunk of to-hit that maybe wasn't designed to specifically punish softcapped characters, but certainly seemed to be an admittance that it was too easy to reach the softcap one way or another.

But otherwise, yeah, that kind of IO usage always rubbed me the wrong way for exactly the reasons you give and certainly played at least a small part in why I avoided the system most of the time.* It also leads to lovely stories about how Force Field, an already unpopular set, is basically worthless at endgame because "everyone's already softcapped" (which is almost certainly not actually true, but it's not hard to see why somebody would say that).

*As an experiment, I tried to make an SR Blaster and mostly succeeded. And I did it largely using uncommon or oddball sets that didn't cost much to get ahold of; people had tried to argue that "well yeah you can break the game...if you invest a billion inf into your build!!!!" (because that makes it ok I guess).

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 7, 2019

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
If you Peacebringer and recolor the powers to green the fluffy-fuzzy energy makes you look pretty similar to the green clouds that mark out City of Heroes style ghosts. I imagine a stealth IO or the stealth power will fix the rest of the look.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Oh what, you can do peacebringer recolours?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

spectralent posted:

Oh what, you can do peacebringer recolours?

Yup. Just be aware that you're taking the multi-layered, over-detailed particle effects and compressing them down to like, maybe two colors tops so it can be a bit of crapshoot to make them look good.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Meanwhile I think the Warshade recolors look excellent. Lime green and bright red were both standouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Heyo. Joined the discord, what do I need to do to join the main server thing?

Edit: Nvm, I'm in there.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 8, 2019