Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

So, as a new Scholar, what's the difference between these two faerie summons? It looks like they've got the same abilities all the way to 80.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

raverrn posted:

So, as a new Scholar, what's the difference between these two faerie summons? It looks like they've got the same abilities all the way to 80.

It's only cosmetic. They used to be different but they folded them into one.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

FF14 has never really had super amazing villains, for the most part. I'm playing through Stormblood right now, and both Zenos and Yotsoyu are just generically evil, horrible people. I just finished the Doma Castle dungeon, so at least one of them is done with.
Heavensward had the best villains, I think. Nidhogg and Halone Pope are both good.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

raverrn posted:

Always use Selene. Eos is a garbage fairy for idiots. Yes, this is arbitrary. Yes, it is correct.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

That’s true, Nidhogg was particularly good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Nidhogg literally being too angry to die was great.

Rhonne posted:

I wish I could still bring Lyna and G'raha Tia with me in Trust dungeons after finishing the game.

The three fakeouts I can think of are Thancred, Y'shtola, and G'raha getting shot.

Does Ryne getting shot through the gut by Solus, complete with the music stopping count?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I haven't really been able to play but I have heard some bad things concerning AST and NIN which were my two favorite jobs. Can anyone fill me in?

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I couldn't find an option right clicking on them, the only thing I found was going through the help ticket menu where there's an option for cheating.

Then I think that option only show's in chat. That would make it all much easier.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Is filling your Hunting Log something you should actively pursue or is it more of an if your in the area thing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

Is filling your Hunting Log something you should actively pursue or is it more of an if your in the area thing?

Not really worth actively pursuing unless you're looking to get seals for the early GC levels.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Nidhogg is barely a character until the Heavensward patches. In the story proper he's just a dungeon boss until the big twist.

He ends up being way more of a character than Thordin, granted

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Note Block posted:

Shaking my head at people that don’t like Zenos or Rak’Tika Greatwood

I actually have to take back what I said about Rak'Tika. The second part of it is legit one of the best things I played in this game so far.

Zeons still suck though.

But I do have another thing to bitch about, and it's the lvl 74 tank role quest: I am supposed to go to eulmore when I am actually one the most wanted people in eulmore, which for me sounds like a really stupid idea and, worst, no one even acknowledges it. The story this expansion is just so good and it really doesn't deserve such a clumsy "co's videogames" storyline thrown in there to mess it up.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Pretty sure you mean "ooh ho ho ho ho"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pigbottom posted:

But I do have another thing to bitch about, and it's the lvl 74 tank role quest: I am supposed to go to eulmore when I am actually one the most wanted people in eulmore, which for me sounds like a really stupid idea and, worst, no one even acknowledges it. The story this expansion is just so good and it really doesn't deserve such a clumsy "co's videogames" storyline thrown in there to mess it up.

Lady Chai tells you on your way out that she's using her connections to ensure you can come and go as you please despite Vauthry's tantrum.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Lady Chai tells you on your way out that she's using her connections to ensure you can come and go as you please despite Vauthry's tantrum.

Oh, I somehow missed that part. Ok, that makes more sense now.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Pigbottom posted:

Then I think that option only show's in chat. That would make it all much easier.

Good to know for spammers I guess, but not all that useful for hackers who aren't talking.

Also, I just got a chocobo and I love the fact that it plays the chocobo music while you're riding it. :3:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I haven't really been able to play but I have heard some bad things concerning AST and NIN which were my two favorite jobs. Can anyone fill me in?

AST might have some potency or CD issues and you have to weave cards like a motherfucker. I think this is the most fun incarnation they've had otherwise.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The healer role quest is loving amazing and Giott is our beautiful dwarf offspring and I will hear nothing bad said about them.

i just started this one and fuckin :same:

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I decided to give healing a try in this game - for keyboard players do people use mouseover macros or anything to help speed up the mechanical part of getting the spell to go to the right target? Or just be real quick on F1-F8?
Also, any UI tips?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hommando posted:

Got a screenshot or a location? I can't find this character and google didn't help. I completed the MSQ so maybe she disappears.
Regarding this NPC in Eulmore, She appears just to the left of your arrival when you get past the gates for the first time. I have not yet been back so I can't say if she's permanent but she talks about how she's ten and three summers old, and how she's an orphan, and how life is like totally meaningless, ya know, she doesn't feel anything!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Good to know for spammers I guess, but not all that useful for hackers who aren't talking.

Also, I just got a chocobo and I love the fact that it plays the chocobo music while you're riding it. :3:

A bunch of mounts have their own music, eventually you'll get a one that plays the FFVI main theme and to this day it's one of my favorite ones.

Also, I can't remember how soon it comes after you get your chocobo, but eventually you'll be able to summon him to fight along side you. Which can be a big help while doing FATEs and stuff.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 17, 2019

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Campbell posted:

I decided to give healing a try in this game - for keyboard players do people use mouseover macros or anything to help speed up the mechanical part of getting the spell to go to the right target? Or just be real quick on F1-F8?
Also, any UI tips?

I'm also curious about this as WHM is currently my highest class and I generally enjoy healing. The default party UI of "stack of tiny bars in the upper left corner" isn't really great and I can't imagine it being very effective beyond the brain-dead-simple starter dungeons. I made it a little bigger and moved it closer to the middle of the screen, but if there's anything else I can do I'd like to know. Basic stuff like highlighting when someone has a debuff I should be dispelling would be really nice, right now it seems like I just have to parse through all the buff icons next to someone's name to figure out if they're poisoned or whatever.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm also curious about this as WHM is currently my highest class and I generally enjoy healing. The default party UI of "stack of tiny bars in the upper left corner" isn't really great and I can't imagine it being very effective beyond the brain-dead-simple starter dungeons. I made it a little bigger and moved it closer to the middle of the screen, but if there's anything else I can do I'd like to know. Basic stuff like highlighting when someone has a debuff I should be dispelling would be really nice, right now it seems like I just have to parse through all the buff icons next to someone's name to figure out if they're poisoned or whatever.

Can’t answer the UI stuff as I play with a controller (which works fine even for healing in case anyone was curious - just takes some getting used to), but regarding debuffs; they show up red and if they have a white line at the bottom of the icon it means you can Esuna it away. Just looking for that is enough to know you can or can’t deal with it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Wingnut Ninja posted:

All debuffs that can be dispelled have a blue line on top of them, and appear leftmost on the party window. All debuffs otherwise fill in the next leftmost, followed by buffs. There's no unit highlighting or anything like that though.

I use my party window stock top left, but smarter, better people move it more central.

The main thing I do UI wise, that everyone should do, it put a giant focus target / cast bar window right dead centre, so if the boss is doing something you have no excuse to miss it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Curable debuffs should stick towards the front, and they've got a line under 'em. Eventually you learn the icons themselves and what enemies use the debuffs in question, so it becomes muscle memory. Admittedly a highlight toggle might help but overall you'll learn the consistent visual language.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I enjoyed how Y'shtola had to use a life threatening spell to save herself from falling in that hole, which might not have even worked unless we happened to have an Ascian helping us. But when we ask Ran'jit how he survived, he's just like "I know kungfu"

parara
Apr 9, 2010
How many people would you need now to do Alphascape 4.0 Savage unsynced at about ilvl 440? Looking to farm some glams.

AbnormalAngel
Mar 5, 2006

Normal doesn't exist.
I am THRILLED.
I finally got through the Return of the Bull MSQ!

Many thanks to anyone that gave Albuquirky Guy advice about it for me. I don't post here very often, but whoever told him to tell me to zoom out IS MY HERO, seriously. :-)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I've leveled AST from 60 to 66 now through dungeons and I think I like the new card system! It's like I'm throwing out damage buffs like candy. :3:

Basically they revamped the entire card system, all cards now give a % up damage boost and half the cards go on melee whole the other half go on ranged. There's no more messing with buff durations, which also makes things a bit simpler (obviously because those spells are gonna go on Time Mage when they announce it :pray:) and instead you want to vary your cards to get different seals that you spend on Divination, a cooldown that increases damage for the whole party.

I think there's room for tweaking, but overall I'm still having a blast

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

So just to confirm, the new BLM rotation is:

Thunder 3 -> Fire 3 -> Sharpcast -> Fire 4x3 -> Fire 1 -> Fire4x3 (use Sharpcasted Fire 3 if you need to move) -> Despair -> Fire 3 (if not used before) -> Blizzard 3 -> Xenoglossy -> Blizzard 4 Repeat?

Thanks to the 15s timers, I've been able to comfortably fit four Fire 4s after I refresh Astral, five if I'm using Ley Lines and I use Swiftcast for Fire 1

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
So I'm playing through the story again on a doofy catman and am wrapping up the end of the 2.x slog.

I really hate that to make the story progress you have to have your wol walk into an obcious trap. And I actively don't care at all for the politics in Ul'Dah. And someone should have pointed out that a teenager leading an army is a poor choice. I'm so glad I know the story gets better, and fwiw 2.x goes a lot faster skipping most cutscenes. /rant

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

DPS classes in FF14 seem to require a level of focus that is just impossible for me, at least to perform them efficiently in difficult encounters while also dealing with mechanics. I can more or less do things correctly, but then I hear people talking about awful it is to wast a GCD or whatever. My mind just can't focus on multiple things at the same time, and most FF14 rotations can't be done through muscle memory (since they require paying attention to meters - this was my issue with RDM; even though it's rotation is very simple, it requires you keep an eye on the black/white magic bars, and it's tough for me to do that while also dealing with mechanics).

All this being said, I feel like a lot of the discussion about playing DPS optimally is only relevant to people who are pretty hardcore and have already gotten the mechanics of an encounter down to a science. I feel like there's probably more to be gained from focusing on the mechanics and staying alive than caring about mistakenly firing off a Fuma Shuriken when you should have used Raiton or whatever.

Part of the reason I like healers (or at least WHM and SCH, can't speak for AST) is that they seem to be the only classes where rotations aren't really a thing, and it's more about reactively using abilities. SCH is particularly good for this, since it can mostly leave "maintenance" healing to the fairy and only usually needs to deal with the big attacks. That being said, it can be a bit boring. I'm curious to try the updated DRK in dungeons; I'm going to be using it as my leveling class for the ShB MSQ.

This is crazy to read -- from a distance healers seem way more complicated than DPS! Maybe 'complicated' isn't the right word, but having to juggle the well-being of everyone on your team seems like it's a very tough thing to do. Plus, healers also seem like a more anxiety-ridden class to play; if you gently caress up a bit as a DPS it's not THAT big a deal, but messing up as a healer seems way way worse.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

This is crazy to read -- from a distance healers seem way more complicated than DPS! Maybe 'complicated' isn't the right word, but having to juggle the well-being of everyone on your team seems like it's a very tough thing to do. Plus, healers also seem like a more anxiety-ridden class to play; if you gently caress up a bit as a DPS it's not THAT big a deal, but messing up as a healer seems way way worse.

The trick is to not give a poo poo whether anyone lives or dies. And to let someone die if they annoy you. Or they're a catboy with the last name Nunh. Or you don't like their glamour.

You have the power of life and death over pubbies. Enjoy it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

somepartsareme posted:

I enjoyed how Y'shtola had to use a life threatening spell to save herself from falling in that hole, which might not have even worked unless we happened to have an Ascian helping us. But when we ask Ran'jit how he survived, he's just like "I know kungfu"

Remember how at Lakeland he was getting ready to jump hundreds of Yalms at us as we fled towards Fae land before the Exarch cast Break on him? He either jumped off the walls or... jumped off that idiot who was with him. :v:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
with DPS you prepare to be optimal but unless you're doing the absolute hardest core of the content a little slip up here and there won't really bother you. You can do various primal Extremes with mediocre dps output. So the rotations are more like drills so that you can more or less perofrm them while running around - you don't have ot make al lot of hard decisions, you can focus on your footwork. Healers have to handle a bunch of tough triage decisions based on how a run is going and who hosed up when and where. When you mess up as a healer you impact the DPS of the team far more than a DPS flubbing their rotation does.

That being said, these are different kinds of problems, and some people have an easier time with some than with others.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Alloran posted:

So I'm playing through the story again on a doofy catman and am wrapping up the end of the 2.x slog.

I really hate that to make the story progress you have to have your wol walk into an obcious trap. And I actively don't care at all for the politics in Ul'Dah. And someone should have pointed out that a teenager leading an army is a poor choice. I'm so glad I know the story gets better, and fwiw 2.x goes a lot faster skipping most cutscenes. /rant

I really wish I had started a tally of how many quests follow the pattern of "talk to quest giver -> person runs up to tell you about something that just happened -> quest giver sends you to deal with it", because that seems to happen at least once per hub. So far the main quest seems to be extremely generic MMO "bad dudes are doing bad stuff, we need to figure out their plan and stop them". But some of the class quest lines have been pretty interesting, like the THM one.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Impermanent posted:

with DPS you prepare to be optimal but unless you're doing the absolute hardest core of the content a little slip up here and there won't really bother you. You can do various primal Extremes with mediocre dps output. So the rotations are more like drills so that you can more or less perofrm them while running around - you don't have ot make al lot of hard decisions, you can focus on your footwork. Healers have to handle a bunch of tough triage decisions based on how a run is going and who hosed up when and where. When you mess up as a healer you impact the DPS of the team far more than a DPS flubbing their rotation does.

That being said, these are different kinds of problems, and some people have an easier time with some than with others.

Yeah, it should really be stressed that optimal DPS rotations are something to aim for, but they're not a NECESSITY and in fact are often impossible due to mechanics (at least as far as I've beaten which is Deltascape 4 Savage)

The optimal DPS rotation is a platonic ideal and while you should always strive to reach it that doesn't mean you should feel bad when you only come close to it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

This dumb fuckboy shirt rules on roes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Namnesor posted:

Thanks to the 15s timers, I've been able to comfortably fit four Fire 4s after I refresh Astral, five if I'm using Ley Lines and I use Swiftcast for Fire 1

Any special reason to do that? It seems like you only have enough MP for 6 no matter what short of Ether/Convert stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

ImpAtom posted:

So just to confirm, the new BLM rotation is:

Thunder 3 -> Fire 3 -> Sharpcast -> Fire 4x3 -> Fire 1 -> Fire4x3 (use Sharpcasted Fire 3 if you need to move) -> Despair -> Fire 3 (if not used before) -> Blizzard 3 -> Xenoglossy -> Blizzard 4 Repeat?

My rotation has been Bliz3 (weave in Sharpcast when going from AF3) -> Bliz4 -> thunder -> Fire3 -> FIre4x3 -> Fire1 -> Thunder proc ->Fire4x3 -> Despair -> unused fire 3 proc if needed -> repeat.

You can use Xenoglossy during either Ice or the first Fire phase or after using a fire3 proc or despair in the second fire phase.