Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Who would be the best vendor to get, say, the 2080S from when it's finally out?

The best vendor to buy a 2080S from is probably no one because the 2080S is likely to be the worst value in the lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, the only thing that would've made the 2080S worth it would've been if it really had turned out to be an 8GB 2080Ti at stock/reduced clocks, not a less constrained 2080, but there's no way they'd unload those at the quoted price point.

The 2060S looks to be a great "waiting for the next architecture" card, even though gently caress nVidia for saddling OG 2060 users with "only" 6GB.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, I have an index coming, so I'm going to need something more. And iracing is already dropping down to half frame rate a bunch with just the rift. Plus I'm gaming at 1440p, so the 1070 struggles a bit with that. It still stays around 60, but I want more.
FWIW, Project CARS 2 seems to run pretty well on my Index that runs on a 1070. SteamVR autoconfigured itself to x0.62 render scale for 120hz globally, I have the per-app setting to x1.3, so the final scale is around x0.8. The game looks pretty OK with that. I assume it's running at 60hz motion smoothed to 120hz (haven't checked the stats yet), but there aren't any noticeable artifacts. I'd figure all that will apply to iRacing.

I'm also wanting a 2080S or something like that, mainly to ramp up the render scaling. But the idea that coming Spring, there's supposedly going to be Ampere GPUs, has me miffled about it. I suppose it won't make that much of a difference in general, but I wanted to run RTX with CP2077 and WD:L, so any performance improvements in that department would be welcome.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AMD is officially putting Crossfire out of its misery :rip:

https://www.techpowerup.com/257150/amd-radeon-rx-5700-navi-graphics-cards-lack-crossfire-support

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Good riddance to that hacky nonsense.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlzzAexgdJ4

Digital Foundry's RX 5700 review is up.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

OhFunny posted:

Digital Foundry's RX 5700 review is up.

Meh, I would rather just spend $50 more for the 2060S.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
German Igor's report:
The refernce XT clocks in at 50dB(A) and is described as a bonefide hairdryer. The 5700 is not much better, do not buy the blowers unless you're deaf and plan to replace the cooler.

The most important graph:

5700 is sensibly volted ootb, XT not so much.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

sauer kraut posted:

German Igor's report:
The refernce XT clocks in at 50dB(A) and is described as a bonefide hairdryer. The 5700 is not much better, do not buy the blowers unless you're deaf and plan to replace the cooler.

I figured the XT would be overvolted to the moon, I’m curious to see two things.

1. How well these perform when partner cards release next month.

2. If you can undervolt these as well as Vega 56/64.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

sauer kraut posted:

German Igor's report:

I guess the meme was p on point.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

sauer kraut posted:

German Igor's report:

That's the thing with this, yes the price cut is nice, but what will third party cards with non-poo poo coolers cost? They could end up very close to a 2600S, and at that point might as well go for the better performing card.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

B-Mac posted:

I figured the XT would be overvolted to the moon, I’m curious to see two things.

1. How well these perform when partner cards release next month.

2. If you can undervolt these as well as Vega 56/64.

The XT is not juiced to the moon like Vega or 580/590's.
Just that with the 7nm node advantage it should be a bit better than that, look at what the 65W Zen3000's are doing to the Intel K's :unsmith:

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 7, 2019

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

sauer kraut posted:

The XT is not juiced to the moon like Vega or 580/590's.
Just that with the 7nm node advantage it should be a bit better than that, look at what the 65W Zen3000's are doing to the Intel K's :unsmith:

Yea the cpu power usage is crazy good, it gets hot though because it’s crammed into such a small die. I don’t really overclock anything anymore, I always undervolt anymore so I can run fans at lower speeds for less noise so I’ll still be interested in seeing the figure for undervolted navi.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Get giant heatsinks to still overclock and run the fans inaudibly low. :getin:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

These charts are nice but wheres the Pascal data to compare to? 1070/80 people looking to upgrade left totally in the dark here wtf.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Yikes.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Seamonster posted:

These charts are nice but wheres the Pascal data to compare to? 1070/80 people looking to upgrade left totally in the dark here wtf.

I understand 2060 = 1070 and 2070 = 1080 roughly in performance.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

OhFunny posted:

2060 is definitely closer to the 1070 ti, the 1660 ti is closer to the 1070.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Curious as to why AMD refuses to put multiple fans on and are sticking with just one.

OhFunny posted:

That's sort of been Nvidia's SOP for a while. Next generation you can go one card "lower" expect roughly similar performance, to a point obviously.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

iospace posted:

Curious as to why AMD refuses to put multiple fans on and are sticking with just one

Because they're using a blower.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Because they're using a blower.

Let me rephrase it then:

Why are they using a blower instead two fans like Nvidia is then?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

iospace posted:

Curious as to why AMD refuses to put multiple fans on and are sticking with just one.

Some AMD guys talked about that in a video few days ago.
Basically they can't guarantee that your case airflow is up to snuff for axial fans, and the card might drop below the values printed on the box from throttling, opening AMD up to class action lawsuits/outrage.
But it was discussed vigorously among the team ;)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sauer kraut posted:

Some AMD guys talked about that in a video few days ago.
Basically they can't guarantee that your case airflow is up to snuff for axial fans, and the card might drop below the values printed on the box from throttling, opening AMD up to class action lawsuits/outrage.
But it was discussed vigorously among the team ;)

Fair enough then.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Which begs a question: why not offer two fan configurations? Do they have an non-poo poo cooling exclusivity deal with Sapphire?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

iospace posted:

Let me rephrase it then:

Why are they using a blower instead two fans like Nvidia is then?

According to AMD, they're keen to reduce the amount of heat dumped into the case.

Also I guess recirculated heat won't affect ryzen 3 clocks / benches in AMD demo boxes.

Efb

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 7, 2019

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

iospace posted:

That's sort of been Nvidia's SOP for a while. Next generation you can go one card "lower" expect roughly similar performance, to a point obviously.

They've lagged behind this generation compared to last. The 1060 was roughly equivalent to a 980, but the 2060 is more like a 1070 or 980ti. That's without taking RT into account though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Navi doesn’t look too bad with the price cuts, but the reference fan is a hard pass from me. Hopefully there are good AIB options soon.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Seamonster posted:

The only acceptable bundle IMO would be $50-100 off a Ryzen 3000 CPU with Navi purchase. I'd say something too about the 290 being midrange but then I remembered it launched at $400.

Microcenter is doing $50 off motherboards and Navi cards when buying a Ryzen 3.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
The one good thing is that for certain use cases Gen4 PCIe is actually not a gimmick and can produce scary good results, L1 techs and EposVox talk about it in their vid here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi-_T3vsv-Q

Also apparently the "fidelity on/off" meme was sold in entirely the wrong way and instead works as a really really good 1440p to 4k upscaler.

EDIT:
Here's a timestamp for encoding talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi-_T3vsv-Q&t=559s

TheCoach fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 7, 2019

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
How does this even happen?

A straight-up swap like some of the other benchmarks make sense, where the 2070S wins at 4k and the 5700xt wins at 1080p because of different geometry vs texture shading speeds. But how the hell does it only win at 2k?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Digital Foundry also had a weird outlier where the 5700 and 5700 really underperformed at 1080p and 4K in Metro Exodus (but not 1440p): https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-amd-radeon-rx-5700-rx-5700-xt-review-head-to-head-with-nvidia-super?page=5

I'd guess this is something fixable in a driver update.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

TheCoach posted:

The one good thing is that for certain use cases Gen4 PCIe is actually not a gimmick and can produce scary good results, L1 techs and EposVox talk about it in their vid here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi-_T3vsv-Q

Also apparently the "fidelity on/off" meme was sold in entirely the wrong way and instead works as a really really good 1440p to 4k upscaler.

EDIT:
Here's a timestamp for encoding talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi-_T3vsv-Q&t=559s
I haven't seen a review yet showing these, I thought Rage 2 had it patched in recently? I think the sharpening feature is available to all gamea as well vs the "fidelity" which is a suite of effects (afaik).

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
That makes sense, it's driver limited at 1080 and texture shading limited at 4k, so 1440p it wins. If the drivers get fixed it would win at 1080p as well.

The important part is it's double the performance of my rx580.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1147966074039619585

comes out to $501 with tax in CA. have to kinda reenter the codes sometimes but you should see the final price before ordering

really tempted.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Strong Sauce posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1147966074039619585

comes out to $501 with tax in CA. have to kinda reenter the codes sometimes but you should see the final price before ordering

really tempted.

Pulled the trigger.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

deals dead. they fixed the 30% coupon

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
30% coupon won't work after ten minutes of mashing the button.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

if you buy a staples plus business account for $50 it'll let you buy it for about $20 more... but that's assume they don't cancel these orders (which some say they have gotten already)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Hasn't been canceled on me yet. Fingers crossed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Strong Sauce posted:

if you buy a staples plus business account for $50 it'll let you buy it for about $20 more... but that's assume they don't cancel these orders (which some say they have gotten already)

Mind elaborating on this this? I feel like $70 more is still a deal if you can use that 30% off coupon.

edit: Someone showed that they were able to add staples plus, use the code, then remove staples plus. Links dead now, though. Hope whoever cashed in succeeded.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 8, 2019