Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Octopath Traveler is out on Steam today. Apparently supports 60fps and 4k resolutions, reviews seem positive on the port.

Can the bloom be turned off? It's the only thing I don't like about this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

wafflemoose posted:

Can the bloom be turned off? It's the only thing I don't like about this game.

If it's like the Switch version, no. The only thing you can alter in that version are the corner shadows.

I imagine it could be modded out though, depending on how easy it is to mod the Steam version. Might take awhile to get to that point, though.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Apparently it's more efficient to grind regularly than rely on BG procs. The x100 multiplier is a 1/1000 chance of triggering for each, and only at max boost. Plus there's always the small chance you accidentally wipe your party. It's something you may mess with if your Dancer goes before your Sorcerer, but otherwise it's faster to just first-turn nuke your foes with Sorcerer.

It can be fun to roll the dice against bosses; even a modest XP/JP x 5 can get you a decent windfall, and getting XP x 100 means you won't have to worry about grinding those four party members for quite a while.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mega64 posted:

You shouldn't need a second set of battle-tested weapons, though you probably want to make sure you've at least cleaned out the NPCs of their good weapons and armor first. You'll want to gear all eight characters up appropriately.

I went through and fought each NPC with a battle-tested weapon at most four times each and have a second bow and axe, maybe my luck is just phenomenal but it doesn’t seem like a bad grind. Plus Olberic has gained a couple extra levels. I just really want to stick it to that rear end in a top hat end boss after I fought him for like 45 minutes and he killed my whole party when he went into desperation mode and had like 3000 hp left.

Edit: just got a second Battle-Tested Blade :woop:

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 8, 2019

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Evening folks.
I've been putting off buying this game for ages, but I'm coming up on my 2 week vacation at the lake and damnit, I want a nice RPG to play on my Switch.
I played the demo or whatever it was before release, and loved it, but just want to make sure this is going to be a decent "relax on the deck" game.

And if not, any recommendations?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, this game is pretty good for playing in chunks at a time. Each character’s chapters usually take somewhere in the ballpark of an hour or two to clear, plus there’s some added incentive to go exploring the areas between towns to find Job shrines. The only stumbling block would probably be side stories, because some of them have some fairly obtuse solutions that you’d probably want a guide for.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Octopath is 30% off on Steam for the next couple weeks.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I just got a Switch along with this game and am about 15 hours in. I have all of the shrines except merchant and am starting to build out my party, but I haven't really been able to find a good class guide that isn't an ad-filled slideshow. My main character is the apothecary who I gave scholar, and I've been using the warrior NPC with dancer because he is absolutely disgusting with the eye-for-an-eye passive. Can you equip any of the passive skills on a character that they've unlocked, regardless of current secondary class?

Does H'annit get any less annoying? I haven't used her at all since getting her because of the stupid way she talks.

How badly am I handicapping myself for leaving some NPCs underleveled? My main is like 27 and H'annit is 9, and a couple of the others are high-teens. It seems like the game divvies up the XP to get lower leveled characters up to par quicker. Olberic has not left my party since I got him because he is such a monster and H'annit has the same path action, so it seems weird to use both of them.

Am I missing something or is Concoct really underwhelming?

Clanpot Shake fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 19, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Youre missing something because concot is the best skill in the game. You can use concot to give your whole party 3 bp among other things

Haanit never gets better, ever

You never need to touch other party members except when story demands so you can beat all the main story content with just a team of three super overleveled people and the schlub along for the ride. The final story part which is unlocked via an arbitrary sidequest is both trash and requires you to have leveled everyone well up past 65 and for many people for safety given how poo poo the sequence is will recommend you go past 75.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Clanpot Shake posted:

I just got a Switch along with this game and am about 15 hours in. I have all of the shrines except merchant and am starting to build out my party, but I haven't really been able to find a good class guide that isn't an ad-filled slideshow. My main character is the apothecary who I gave scholar, and I've been using the warrior NPC with dancer because he is absolutely disgusting with the eye-for-an-eye passive. Can you equip any of the passive skills on a character that they've unlocked, regardless of current secondary class?

Does H'annit get any less annoying? I haven't used her at all since getting her because of the stupid way she talks.

How badly am I handicapping myself for leaving some NPCs underleveled? My main is like 27 and H'annit is 9, and a couple of the others are high-teens. It seems like the game divvies up the XP to get lower leveled characters up to par quicker. Olberic has not left my party since I got him because he is such a monster and H'annit has the same path action, so it seems weird to use both of them.

Am I missing something or is Concoct really underwhelming?

Yeah, you don’t need to have the same jobs in order to use the associated passives.

There’s a couple points in H’aanit’s story where you need to do monster taming (since Linde’s damage pretty much drops like a brick by the time you’ve reached people’s Chapter 2’s), but outside of those, you can pretty much completely ignore the taming stuff. She doesn’t ever lose her Ye Olden Faux English, though.

I’d personally suggest rotating your party around fairly often, if only because it’s going to be a pain in the rear end to keep them alive to actually get those buckets of EXP when you take them to catch up.

Concoct is pretty busted for partywide healing, and though the raw damage side of it is always hilariously pitiful, it’s great for getting up to 3 hits of an elemental weakness.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Haanit begins really strong, and later on you can luck into some really powerful monster to capture (good luck though), but yeah, it's basically a case of "She lets you duel guys when you are level 20 that you should be 60 for with enough prep", but otherwise her special skills are really lacklustre.

Her summon basically get weaker as you get stronger.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Hannity has trap or whatever that makes bosses go last and is one of the best skills in the game..?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

^burtle posted:

Hannity has trap or whatever that makes bosses go last and is one of the best skills in the game..?

Any Hunter can have that.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
how do you break the game?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
You can get some good damage out of H'aanit's capture, but you have to keep up with it and continuously capture new dudes. It's like never using dance and then saying Primrose is bullshit.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Relin posted:

Runelord Tressa using Transfer Rune and Sidestep while Alfin uses Concoct to keep her BP high. Well at least it works against enemies who mainly do physical attacks.

Weaponmaster Olberic using the celestial ability with all battle-tested weapons equipped & break damage limit is pretty amazing too

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Weaponmaster Olberic using the celestial ability with all battle-tested weapons equipped & break damage limit is pretty amazing too

I did this with Therion and he was still pretty broken

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Relin posted:

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Runelord Tressa using Transfer Rune and Sidestep while Alfin uses Concoct to keep her BP high. Well at least it works against enemies who mainly do physical attacks.
Transfer Rune + Sidestep is impressive, but honestly the elemental runes are underrated.

Make sure everyone in your party has a weapon with high EA (250+), then do a Transfer Rune + one of the elemental runes. Now your entire party is hitting 9999+ damage for each attack without using BP, which lets you save BP for things you really need BP for.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Does the difficulty ramp up significantly in chapter 4 or am I imagining it? Alfyn's chapter boss is a race against time and I can't win the damage race and I just failed hard against Cyrus' chapter boss. Do I need to walk around grinding levels or something? The party I brought to both of those has only just hit 45, with Alfyn at 52. Also stumbled upon the shrine of the archmage and lost hard to that boss.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Clanpot Shake posted:

Does the difficulty ramp up significantly in chapter 4 or am I imagining it? Alfyn's chapter boss is a race against time and I can't win the damage race and I just failed hard against Cyrus' chapter boss. Do I need to walk around grinding levels or something? The party I brought to both of those has only just hit 45, with Alfyn at 52. Also stumbled upon the shrine of the archmage and lost hard to that boss.

The short answer is git gud, after a fashion. You're at the point where the game expects you to have a plan and to be able to deal with a wide variety of situations, and that means making good use of buffs/debuffs and setting up for break turns as well as being prepared for multiple adds, status effects, etc.. If you're just hitting buttons, casting Heal Wounds when low, and just generally not thinking ahead more than the rest of the turn, then Chapter 4 will stomp your face in.

Also actually use those Jams and Pomegranates. Seriously.

Of course, just saying "git gud" isn't helpful, so here's some random Good Ideas you may not yet be trying:

-Combine Warrior/Dancer buffs and Thief debuffs.
-Do that but time them so they last for both break rounds.
-Unless you're combining the defense buff with the attack debuff.
-Break a boss at the start of the round so you have the entirety of that round and the next to unload damage.
-Do that by deliberately planning out who does the breaking by having them Defend the previous round.
-Oh and put someone on BP restoring duty because your strongest move twice in a break phase is better than once.
-Leghold Trap.
-Incite.
-Incite plus Sidestep.
-No seriously Leghold Trap is like the best thing.
-Poison is actually a worthwhile status.
-Healing is based from the user's Elemental Defense so that's why equipping for E. Attack isn't making Heal Wounds better.
-Use those stat nuts.
-STEAL EVERYTHING
-Dohter's Charity plus Revitalizing Jams is really silly.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm doing most of those things. I think my problem is a combination of being underleveled, not having the optimal jobs assigned (hard to know going in blind), and being too stingy with items. I haven't used a nut in forever and have a ton of them. How important is it to have the best gear you can buy? I don't think I've bought shields or hats for some time, now that I think about it...

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This is not at all me trying to dunk on you but I just started Chapter 4 as well and did Olberic's story first and I demolished that guy. It felt sooooo good. I dropped a 7 turn -armor debuff on him, then hit him for ~40k with a +melee damage warrior divine from Olberic and then also hit him with a Cleric divined, Scholar divined double lightning blast from Cyrus for 40k (I didn't have the damage limit passive on him so I'm kind of sad I didn't get to see the real numbers) and he just vanished. I was very :smug: about it.

This was after I decided to stop banging my head against the wall on the Archmagus. He was giving me fits with his debuff that prevents buffs (apparently you can't even remove the debuff) so I was struggling to win the race until he drops +elemental damage on my party and vaporizes my party after like the 3rd break. I think I got him down to something like 30k health and then the walls come down.

On that note, I haven't been using nuts like... at all. What's a general good idea for using them?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Sadly Olberic is on the bench while I try to level my B team. Maybe I'll pull him out for the boss fights. I had him in my party since I picked him up in chapter 1 and he is an absolute murderbeast but Haanit was falling too far behind.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ice Fist posted:

This was after I decided to stop banging my head against the wall on the Archmagus. He was giving me fits with his debuff that prevents buffs (apparently you can't even remove the debuff) so I was struggling to win the race until he drops +elemental damage on my party and vaporizes my party after like the 3rd break. I think I got him down to something like 30k health and then the walls come down.

Have you tried combining the Dancer's Divine Skill with Reflective Veil?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Some Numbers posted:

Have you tried combining the Dancer's Divine Skill with Reflective Veil?

NOPE I DIDN'T SEE THIS I CAME UP WITH IT ALL ON MY OWN NOPE NOPE NOPE DIDN'T SEE THAT AT All

I've been catching up on a goon LP on this game and this came up today during the coverage of Ophilia's chapter 1 and I rushed home to try it. I didn't know dancer's divine worked on buffs.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

I've been catching up on a goon LP on this game and this came up today during the coverage of Ophilia's chapter 1 and I rushed home to try it. I didn't know dancer's divine worked on buffs.
The Dancer divine's help text implies it only works on skills and spells which target enemies. You are not the first person to fail to realize it works on all single-target skills and for sure you won't be the last.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Clanpot Shake posted:

I'm doing most of those things. I think my problem is a combination of being underleveled, not having the optimal jobs assigned (hard to know going in blind), and being too stingy with items. I haven't used a nut in forever and have a ton of them. How important is it to have the best gear you can buy? I don't think I've bought shields or hats for some time, now that I think about it...

There's definitely a jump in difficulty when you transition to chapter 4. Equipment optimization is important but you should be worrying more about your strategy. I'd suggest for example that you use leghold trap a bunch and hopefully you'll see better results.

If you've done the optional job shrines then you've the ability to brutally smash the game over your knee though. The bosses there are hard, but they're more like puzzles than the normal game bosses.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
ch.3 is a significant hp and damage jump on bosses, i guess i should start doing side dungeons. which secret shrine boss should i do first?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Relin posted:

ch.3 is a significant hp and damage jump on bosses, i guess i should start doing side dungeons. which secret shrine boss should i do first?

Either Archmage or Runeblade. Starseer is overall the toughness (hard to cheese) and Warbringer is easiest to cheese with Runelord available.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

oh my loving god the archmagus boss has 171k hp

some parts of this game are real terrible

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Relin posted:

oh my loving god the archmagus boss has 171k hp

some parts of this game are real terrible
You'll be surprised how fast those HPs disappear once you're allowed to stack reflects on your party.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

e: Wrong thread!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 11, 2019

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
^^^^^
Mega64 is doing an excellent LP of Octopath with Cyrus as a starter. I recommend it.

To add to the thread: When I'm driving my daughter home at night she would ask for the "violin and string song." This is her request to play the Octopath Traveler OST while I'm driving because she's sleepy. First town themes and character themes are super effective :3:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

animeluva1 posted:

To add to the thread: When I'm driving my daughter home at night she would ask for the "violin and string song." This is her request to play the Octopath Traveler OST while I'm driving because she's sleepy. First town themes and character themes are super effective :3:

Is the "violin and string song" Bolderfall or Those Who Govern Reason?

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.

Some Numbers posted:

Is the "violin and string song" Bolderfall or Those Who Govern Reason?

Likely the Riverlands main theme.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

All the music is incredible but I don’t think any of the rest of it even comes close to the Saintsbridge theme.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Primrose theme best theme

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Personally, I prefer Cyrus's theme.

Or Decisive Battle II or the Gate of Finis and Galdera ones.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
don't get this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

whaley posted:

don't get this game

nah, do get this game.