Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Core Nissan fastest in both of the first two practices at Mosport. Would be cool to see them win after the trash year they have had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

It's the Festival of Speed this weekend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5RuJ1k82zU

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Cygni posted:

Core Nissan fastest in both of the first two practices at Mosport. Would be cool to see them win after the trash year they have had.

They managed to qualify on pole, just edging out the #7 Acura, followed by the #55 Mazda. Then the other Acura and the other Mazda. Fastest Cadillac is Nasr, more than a half second back from the #54, so it looks like they might struggle again.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So I somehow missed this but apparently the SRO & FIA is adding a new class to the Blancpain GT series next year called GT2. The cars have more horsepower and less downforce than the GT3 cars they're currently running, and are apparently meant to be driven by amateur and "gentleman" drivers, which seems like literally the worst idea ever?????

Initially only the Porsche 911 GT2 RS Clubsport was entering it, making it a single-make series, with Aston Martin, Mercedes and Lambo considering it.

But a couple of days ago Audi unveiled their version of the R8 for the class and holy poo poo :fap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PBlLecmpsk

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I like how they called it GT2 to make the rich kids feel like they're better than the GT3 poors who had to work for their seat.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Basticle posted:

So I somehow missed this but apparently the SRO & FIA is adding a new class to the Blancpain GT series next year called GT2. The cars have more horsepower and less downforce than the GT3 cars they're currently running, and are apparently meant to be driven by amateur and "gentleman" drivers, which seems like literally the worst idea ever?????

Vadim Kogay cmon down!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I support the class of cars that only exists to have massive accidents

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Feels Villeneuve posted:

If you open the door and press a button, a backboard slides out

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Isn't that basically what those Lamborghini and Ferrari one make race series are for since it's pretty much just rich guys?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

net work error posted:

Isn't that basically what those Lamborghini and Ferrari one make race series are for since it's pretty much just rich guys?

Yes, the difference is these cars (GT2) will be in the same race as everyone else lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Basticle posted:

Yes, the difference is these cars (GT2) will be in the same race as everyone else lol

isn't that just Le Mans

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

isn't that just Le Mans

Now that is called GTE (or GTLM in North America). The new GT2 category will race under SRO (Blancpain etc) and it’s closer to the old GT1 category at Le Mans. Confusing, eh?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

We desperately need universal homogulation for classes, but especially GT classes

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yikes, Juncos Caddy absolutely wrecked...

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Still haven't seen a replay of it after 8 minutes of caution and TV broadcast. No update from IMSA on his status either.

https://twitter.com/PMotorsportMX/status/1147947593474793472

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That was a brutal hit and he does not look comfortable being loaded into the ambulance.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Replay:

https://streamable.com/xkq7s

yiiiiiikes

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Mazda really gonna do this again, huh

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Mazda really gonna do this again, huh

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
The mad bastards did it. Hot drat.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Juncos driver awake and alert, going to hospital for checks

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

That's right Calvin, if these trends we're seeing here today in Canada continue, *audibly pauses to check notes* Mazda will never lose a race again

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
I’ll never understand why people insist that pavement runoffs are better on road courses than grass or gravel. Ovals maybe, but not road.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

dsriggs posted:

I’ll never understand why people insist that pavement runoffs are better on road courses than grass or gravel. Ovals maybe, but not road.

I dont think anyone outside of the FIA itself thinks that. Even Hamilton said he wants grass and gravel.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There's a safety element to it I believe, since cars can dig in to grass and gravel run offs and roll if they hit them at speed (see Alonso's crash in Australia a few years back). The bigger reason though is almost certainly they don't want to risk losing rich track day dudes because they got their car stuck in gravel.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

njsykora posted:

There's a safety element to it I believe, since cars can dig in to grass and gravel run offs and roll if they hit them at speed (see Alonso's crash in Australia a few years back). The bigger reason though is almost certainly they don't want to risk losing rich track day dudes because they got their car stuck in gravel.

I see both sides, but it does ruin a lot of racing.

Also, pavement is arguably safer for bikes, but can also lead to some horrendous accidents from the lack of speed scrubbing off. Cannot for the life of me remember his name, but a rider died a couple years back from sliding under the tires and colliding with the concrete that would never have happened with grass or gravel.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

iwentdoodie posted:

I see both sides, but it does ruin a lot of racing.

Also, pavement is arguably safer for bikes, but can also lead to some horrendous accidents from the lack of speed scrubbing off. Cannot for the life of me remember his name, but a rider died a couple years back from sliding under the tires and colliding with the concrete that would never have happened with grass or gravel.

Lorenzo probably would've walked away from his fall last week if he slid off onto grass or tarmac. Riders falling into gravel always scares me because the tumbling can be real nasty.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
you dont want cars getting airborne and letting them slide around on tarmac is the best way to do that

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

iwentdoodie posted:

I dont think anyone outside of the FIA itself thinks that. Even Hamilton said he wants grass and gravel.

The super grippy tarmac runoff sections are preferred for a few reasons: 1) grass when wet is slippery as hell and the car doesn’t lose speed before hitting the barrier 2) gravel has a few problems, the first is that as nskynora pointed out cars can dig into it and tumble, as Alonso did in 2016 in Australia. Another thing that can happen is that cars can not dig into the gravel properly at high speeds and instead sort of skip over it, Schumacher did this in 1999 at Silverstone and broke his leg for his trouble. The third issue is that, and this one is debatable I’ll admit, going wide into a gravel trap can leave a car beached and out of the race, which is probably a bit harsh of a punishment for making a mistake.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Quinntan posted:

The super grippy tarmac runoff sections are preferred for a few reasons: 1) grass when wet is slippery as hell and the car doesn’t lose speed before hitting the barrier 2) gravel has a few problems, the first is that as nskynora pointed out cars can dig into it and tumble, as Alonso did in 2016 in Australia. Another thing that can happen is that cars can not dig into the gravel properly at high speeds and instead sort of skip over it, Schumacher did this in 1999 at Silverstone and broke his leg for his trouble. The third issue is that, and this one is debatable I’ll admit, going wide into a gravel trap can leave a car beached and out of the race, which is probably a bit harsh of a punishment for making a mistake.

The other is that (as mentioned) tracks that serve both top-line auto racing as well as top-line motorcycle racing, the bikes much prefer to not have gravel anymore. So with all those benefits (or “benefits”) that’s why so many tracks are going away from gravel and grass.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/smp-ends-wec-program-lmp1-field-drops-to-six-cars/

SMP is out. I'm expecting Rebellion to confirm the rumoured drop to one car too. Don't know if I'm going to bother going to le mans next year...

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Was there ever any additional news on the other manufacturer that was possibly joining DPi next year?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

A Ford-Multimatic test mule ran miles already, supposedly. But I think Ford is in Ultra Pout mode at the moment and it’s not gonna happen. At least, that’s the latest drama I heard.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Cygni posted:

A Ford-Multimatic test mule ran miles already, supposedly. But I think Ford is in Ultra Pout mode at the moment and it’s not gonna happen. At least, that’s the latest drama I heard.

This is correct. The plan was Riley Multimatic + 3.5 EcoBoost + Chip Ganassi as a bridge program to keep the band together until a new car is developed for 2022. But Ford canned it late in the development process. Allegedly, the chasses are now spares for Mazda

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Formula E is just the best.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Never change anything about FE, ever

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Even for FE, that was good.

https://twitter.com/SamCarpenter_/status/1150146497973030915

Beep Beep.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Super Formula's live and wet at Fuji: https://youtu.be/j60LIdJ3tv8

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

marshalljim posted:

Super Formula's live and wet at Fuji: https://youtu.be/j60LIdJ3tv8

You had me at "live and wet".

e: remember when F1 didn't quit the second it got mildly moist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Was a good season of Formula E.

Also if a race series runs the same track 2 days in a row, they should just change all the runoffs and access points and go the other way. :smug: