Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

Really dumb question - I have some pieces of frozen salmon vacuum sealed in plastic. All I need to do is put the pieces of frozen salmon in the fridge to thaw for 24 hours? Just put the piece of salmon still in the plastic in a bowl or something?

Stick em between your thighs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I think the southwestern scampi is gonna happen this sunday. Speaking of not drinking and cooking with alcohol, I was just gifted one of those single shot little bottles of Fireball. Anything I can do with that quantity that makes sense?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Busy Bee posted:

Really dumb question - I have some pieces of frozen salmon vacuum sealed in plastic. All I need to do is put the pieces of frozen salmon in the fridge to thaw for 24 hours? Just put the piece of salmon still in the plastic in a bowl or something?
Generally yes, although I've had frozen meat in the fridge for 24 hours and it was still ice in the center, it kinda depends on how hig (low?) your fridge is set, thickness of the pieces and so on. One trick to thaw meat and stuff is to place it in the sink and let cold water trickle over it continually. Not warm water, and don't just submerge it, those will both bring it to unsafe temperature.

I'm presuming "all you need to do" is just for thawing it and it's either pre-cooked/smoked or you know what to do with it once it's thawed.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

Yup. It’s as easy as that. Just make sure it’s at a spot in the fridge that isn’t immediately near the cooling duct. That’s the coldest spot and depending on how thick it is it might not thaw fully.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

I think the southwestern scampi is gonna happen this sunday. Speaking of not drinking and cooking with alcohol, I was just gifted one of those single shot little bottles of Fireball. Anything I can do with that quantity that makes sense?

Fireball is objectively trash and tastes like lovely hot cinnamon. I guess maybe in a baked good?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

Fireball is objectively trash and tastes like lovely hot cinnamon. I guess maybe in a baked good?

Yeah, I'd say as part of a glaze for a batch of cinnamon rolls or something.

You could also use it in a meatloaf glaze, I'd bet. Cinnamon is a fine spice for meats. The Fireball, some cumin, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, and ketchup. Bake the meatloaf for 45 minutes, then pull it out and put that on, bake it for another 15.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
You could boil it down into a syrup with some cardamom and butter and use it for pancake syrup.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Busy Bee posted:

i'd thaw as close to cooking time as possible, put the bag in a bowl of water and run the tap on trickle till it thaws. should take just a few minutes

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I was going to smoke some pork butt Friday for a family get together, but my mom just told me (thankfully before I went to the store) that she's "not feeling pork right now), so I figure I'll get a beef brisket.

I've smoked plenty of pork, but never beef.

So, I'm looking for a good rub to make, and any tips for prepping and smoking brisket, like temp, time, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
he doesnt update the channel anymore but franklin's bbq videos are a good intro for brisket.

I like salt+pepper rub for brisket instead of the premade rub I typically use for pork shoulder or ribs.

i trim off a shitload of fat and save it to render down once i collect enough of it.

crutching seems to work well so i have been doing that too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm fermenting some cherries and grapes in 2% of their weight in salt. I didn't even think about what I was going to do with them. Any suggestions?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Brisket, 5.7lbs, is rubbed and ready for smoking tomorrow morning.

Used a shitton of garlic powder, mustard powder, white pepper, paprika, and dark brown sugar, with a smaller amount of kosher salt and cayenne pepper.

E: also, interestingly, the less full jar of peppers is noticeably cloudier than the other one, but both are much more cloudy than they were at the start.

Annath fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 4, 2019

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Annath posted:

Brisket, 5.7lbs, is rubbed and ready for smoking tomorrow morning.

Used a shitton of garlic powder, mustard powder, white pepper, paprika, and dark brown sugar, with a smaller amount of kosher salt and cayenne pepper.

Hey smoker buddy. Come join us in the Hickory Smoked Horse Buttholes thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3460953

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I'm fermenting some cherries and grapes in 2% of their weight in salt. I didn't even think about what I was going to do with them. Any suggestions?

Cocktail garnish?

Here's a fun food concept: Delle Units

Delle units are a way to express how resistant a fluid/mixture will be to microbial life. The general math works out that a mixture that is 78% sugar, or 17.5% alcohol will prevent microbial action. You can swap alcohols for sugars at a ratio of 1 to 4.5 meaning that 1% alcohol is worth 4.5 delle units, and 1% sugar is worth 1 delle unit - and if all you're dealing with is sugar and alcohol, you need the total to add up to 78 to get a "stable" mixture.

There are other factors like pH, salinity, etc that will also factor into lowering the target number.

Why does this pertain to your situation? 1) You're mashing grapes and cherries, which are high sugar fruits. 2) You've introduced salinity to the mix which means that you're going to inhibit molds and other grosser microbes and promote yeasts (of various genii) and lactobacters. 3) You're working in a high acid environment which lowers that delle factor. 4) Those yeasts will start making alcohol, which will count highly toward the delle factor.

So all in all, I think what you're going to wind up with is alcoholic fruits that may then pickle as lactobacters and acetobacters go to work after the yeasts die off at what I am guessing will be between 4 to 8% alcohol (which seems to be the tolerance of most wild yeasts). Then those other bacteria will go to work converting ethanol into acetic acid, a.k.a. vinegar (if you're lucky,) or acetate, a.k.a. nail polish remover (if you're not.) Depends on the species of bacteria that were hanging out on your fruit or in your kitchen.

Either way, I think you're probably going to come close to hitting the delle factor and it'll cease being an active culture within a couple of weeks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The grape bag ballooned and I dumped it into a mason jar. It smells a lot like moscato. I might just juice it, clarify it and serve as my own prison wine

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Given the salt in it, it may end up being a really funky wine for drinking, but I'd consider cooking with it. I think you could use it anywhere you'd use a sherry.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Busy Bee posted:

Sure. Or just throw them in their plastic in that bowl under running cold water and they’ll be thawed in 20 minutes tops.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Annath posted:

So I was going to smoke some pork butt Friday for a family get together, but my mom just told me (thankfully before I went to the store) that she's "not feeling pork right now), so I figure I'll get a beef brisket.

I've smoked plenty of pork, but never beef.

So, I'm looking for a good rub to make, and any tips for prepping and smoking brisket, like temp, time, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What the gently caress is wrong with your mom.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Steve Yun posted:

The grape bag ballooned and I dumped it into a mason jar. It smells a lot like moscato. I might just juice it, clarify it and serve as my own prison wine

You could turn it into vinegar, then dilute it and serve it as a really loving delicious shrub

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

kittenmittons posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with your mom.

Eh, a lot, but not this exactly. She'd apparently made pork BBQ (albeit in a slow cooker rather than a smoker) last week and they'd been eating the leftovers for days, so I get maybe wanting a change from pork.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Annath posted:

Eh, a lot, but not this exactly. She'd apparently made pork BBQ (albeit in a slow cooker rather than a smoker) last week and they'd been eating the leftovers for days, so I get maybe wanting a change from pork.

get her a roast beef sandwich from arbys and make the pork

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

fart store posted:

get her a roast beef sandwich from arbys and make the pork

But then what do I do with this brisket?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeaaaah smoke that poo poo up

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeaaaah smoke that poo poo up

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Does flouring fresh pasta (to keep it from sticking) too much before you put it in the pot adversely affect the pasta water you get from it?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Use fine semolina and shake it off just before you put it in the water.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Bubbling away! :toot:

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Cool bong setups but this is not TCC

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

They're the Goons with Spoons now actually :colbert:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Helith posted:

Use fine semolina and shake it off just before you put it in the water.

That's good to know but also, forgive my rudeness, not what I asked.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

feedmegin posted:

They're the Goons with Spoons now actually :colbert:

:drat:

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

AnonSpore posted:

Does flouring fresh pasta (to keep it from sticking) too much before you put it in the pot adversely affect the pasta water you get from it?

It depends on what you mean by “too much,” but unless you’re using an unholy shitload of flour or boiling your pasta in very little water, it’s not going to make a really appreciable difference.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bluedeanie posted:

habanero bong sounds painful

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

I just read The Art of Fermentation (by Katz)

2 questions, 1 about fermentation and 1 about the book.

1) Does the book give good advice? Like, "Flour, Water Salt, Yeast" is to "Bread" as "Art Of Fermentation" is to "Pickles"? I downloaded a sample from Amazon and read the foreword, introduction, and first chapter. It was just unfocused rambling about how terrible modern food is and how lactobacillus will bring about world peace. I was hoping for a practical guide to making fermented foods. What I read was like the comments section of Food Babe.

2) Are there any reliable studies linking fermented foods to better nutrition? Is sauerkraut more nutritious than boiled cabbage? Are pickles better for me than raw cucumbers? Every health and diet site on the web says yes, but I've never seen a science journal that says anything one way or the other.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

Bagheera posted:

1) Does the book give good advice? Like, "Flour, Water Salt, Yeast" is to "Bread" as "Art Of Fermentation" is to "Pickles"? I downloaded a sample from Amazon and read the foreword, introduction, and first chapter. It was just unfocused rambling about how terrible modern food is and how lactobacillus will bring about world peace. I was hoping for a practical guide to making fermented foods. What I read was like the comments section of Food Babe.

2) Are there any reliable studies linking fermented foods to better nutrition? Is sauerkraut more nutritious than boiled cabbage? Are pickles better for me than raw cucumbers? Every health and diet site on the web says yes, but I've never seen a science journal that says anything one way or the other.

It is a good book with some good ideas besides all of the generic hippie schtick. Fiery Ferments is another good one if you like hot things. It is true that many things nutritionally unavailable in raw veg/fruit become available after cooking or fermenting (like lycopene in tomatoes for example - other nutrients are destroyed, though. It depends on what the veg/fruit is. The benefits are great for dal - Adai is way more nutritious than conventionally cooked and it got me into fermenting other stuff). However it’s not one dimensionally positive - there’s a clear coincidence between fermented food consumption and gastrointestinal cancer. I love fermenting things anyway, but I wouldn’t get into it expecting it to be the magical elixir that Katz shills it as.

Here is scallion kimchi, fresh fava bean kimchi, preserved Meyer lemons, and limes.

coolanimedad fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 7, 2019

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Do you have a good recipe for Adai?

E: interesting. I just got home, and one of my fermentation jars has suddenly got less pressure in it. Previously, both air locks were sitting right at the edge of pushing bubbles out, and periodically they'd do so. Now, one jar is suddenly at normal pressure, with both sides of the airlock even.

Also, that jar is, according to my infra-red thermometer, about 2 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than the other one (71.7F vs 70F)

Annath fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 7, 2019

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Annath posted:

E: interesting. I just got home, and one of my fermentation jars has suddenly got less pressure in it. Previously, both air locks were sitting right at the edge of pushing bubbles out, and periodically they'd do so. Now, one jar is suddenly at normal pressure, with both sides of the airlock even.

Also, that jar is, according to my infra-red thermometer, about 2 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than the other one (71.7F vs 70F)

Did someone ring the dino. signal?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633494

I break down roughly how to go about doing it. Honestly, you could sub out pretty much any beans you have. I will make it when I'm down to the last few bits and bobs in all the various jars of lentils or beans I keep.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Annath posted:

Possibly temperature fluctuations? When the ferment doesn't put out a huge amount of gas, sometimes just ambient fluctuations can reverse the airlock balance. You'd expect cooling down to have this effect though. If it's the smaller jar, then maybe it cooled down less than the other one, but there's just less gas generation because of the smaller mass and so you've noticed it?

Either way, I wouldn't worry until it starts pulling a lot into the fermenter. It's fermenting and it probably won't stop, unless something really crazy happens (freezing or boiling etc).

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Bagheera posted:

It's been a while since I've opened it, so this is just from memory. I definitely found it a bit rambly. It doesn't really have a huge number of 'recipes' as in lists of ingredients and instructions. It is fairly comprehensive on fermented foods however. He discusses vegetables as well as things like tempeh, other soy ferments, and a lot of things I never heard of before. I feel like it's more of an encyclopedia of fermented foods. If you wanted to do something specific like tempeh, or koji then other sources may be more in-depth. But Katz probably talks about the ferment if you're thinking of doing it.

No idea on the second. There's a lot of bullshit out there, but IMO the best reason to eat fermented foods is they taste good. They may or may not affect your microbiome, I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
Where can I buy spices online? Is Penzeys a good place?