Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fortis posted:

I got excited when I figured out you could replicate the bowser fight from SMB3 so I tried making a final level type castle course: Father & Son Fortress.

https://twitter.com/pkfortis/status/1147997019484540929

Just played this and loved it.

Goons, play this level. VERY well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
More random acts:

Red Coins in the Desert

Yyyyeah I'm not going to be able to pull that turtle shell one off. The piranha plant room was fun as hell, the two buzzy rooms were ok if you're into that sort of thing.

Porcupuffer Pond

Really great level. Pacing was really nice, overall a very Nintendo quality level.

Rote Wurst

I liked this a lot. A lot of the difficulty was crammed into the one room, but it was a really cool concept and the rest of the level was fun.

1-1 but Mario needs to poop

Goofy level, it was entertaining.

Flagrant Disregard for Gravity

I really did not enjoy the gimmick but it was superbly executed, pretty good level overall.

Five in the Sky

Short but good. Fun ideas, not too difficult but kept me on my toes. Would like to see a little more.

Ice Infestation

I liked a lot of the concepts, the fish dodging trap room was great and the Bowser Jr fight was interesting. The platforming with the narrow ice spires was really obnoxious for how far it was from a checkpoint though. I eventually just gave up on this one.

Abe01

A fun beginner level. Lots of room to explore, which is a good way to make a basic easy level like this more interesting than more linear ones.

2-3 Air Lair

Flurries aren't my favorite element but they're used very well here, very nice level. It's easy enough that they don't get too annoying.

The Climb

Interesting and charming level. The enemy-less gimmick isn't entirely to my taste but it's well done overall.

Aerospace Antics

Neat level, but a real slog. Some of the beetle rides off the springs are kind of finicky. I thought it was fun but man I wouldn't want to go through that whole thing again.

Frozen Fortress

Very charming level. The slipperiness made it just a little bit tricky but still would have liked to see a little bit more challenge. Fun for a nice easy short level though

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

More random stages!

Slopes 'n' Slides
Y7M-V61-YGF
By: No. 1 Callie Fan

Straightforward and not to difficult. So straightforward it's hard to find anything to say about it. Do something outrageously wrong next time so I have something to talk about.

Repeating Riches
K5P-J5T-RHG
By: SamFaust

Ended lap with 299 coins. Currently devising revenge strategy.

1-4 Freezy & Breezy
CXS-P0T-BRF
By: Pixeltendo

Easy peasy. Good use of the icicles throughout.

Cloud Paradise
B15-NHP-2KG
By: Movie majick

The first response of any player to seeing Lakitu should be, "Let me jack that cloud and see how far I can get." Answer: just short of the goal tape.

Light Switch Slam
06D-H4B-SFG
By: Main Paineframe

I somehow missed this jam level when I went through all of them before. Oh well. Nifty level with a fun use of the superball. Pretty dark, though.

Beyond Thunderdune
H2L-HP8-QQF
By: Chronojam

Right now, before I start playing. If there is not both Master and Blaster in this level it's an auto-boo.

[after playing]

:ghost:

Origins
20S-5H6-NWG
By: The Kins

Good basic stage.

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

I have uploaded the third level in my Abe the Pug series. I'm trying to do these as standard levels that could actually fit in SMW.

https://twitter.com/Flashy99/status/1148013782645346304

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Straight White Shark posted:

Frozen Fortress

Very charming level. The slipperiness made it just a little bit tricky but still would have liked to see a little bit more challenge. Fun for a nice easy short level though

Thanks for your review! I wasn't really going for anything super tricky with this one, I wanted a level the kids could play in Endless and feel proud they beat but wasn't too tough. My inspiration was actually the Disney song Let It Go so it's definitely one for the kiddos. Glad it's hitting that mark.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Spiffster posted:

I tried for an hour on that level and couldn’t get past the drat second buzzy beetle bit. Everything felt fair until that part because the timing felt like it changed on me. Like if I was a frame or two off I was gonna get killed. and that lower path man... rude

I will try it again when I’m in a better place. It’s a great design but that one part just feels over infuriating

It took me entirely too long to realize the coins were placed where you need to let go and when to jump.

I did have the thwomps at the end screw up one time but not hitting switches correctly when I might have had it, but otherwise everything worked.

NofrikinfuN posted:

Is a standalone boss fight an acceptable level course? This fight with Meowser takes 20 hits, but I've been having a surprising amount of fun with it in playtesting.

One of my levels for MM1 was an autoscroller level where Bowser was on a tram with no powerups and you just had to survive until the end, with mild changeups in his routine.

But also I think Meowser is kind of poo poo because he just fucks off into the back or foreground randomly and loves to just pop up right where you are and shoot off a fireball before you can actually do anything about it so I think his routine is just bad.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
What's the best way to get a Koopa or Buzzy Beetle to immediately start spinning as a shell? I'm trying to create a level like SMW's "Awesome", which has a lot of kicked shells in it, but can't find a good way to do it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1148017694995865600

Week Two's Jam has begun. The theme is "Taking Care of Business".

You can do anything having to do with business of any kind. Factories, farming, contract killings, lemonade stands, video game design? You name it, make a level for it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVnwFbnVCMo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1148017694995865600?s=19

Just saw this on Twitter, I assume post is incoming, or did I miss it?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1148017694995865600?s=19

Just saw this on Twitter, I assume post is incoming, or did I miss it?

lol, get ninja'd

nrook posted:

What's the best way to get a Koopa or Buzzy Beetle to immediately start spinning as a shell? I'm trying to create a level like SMW's "Awesome", which has a lot of kicked shells in it, but can't find a good way to do it.

Shoot a buzzy shell from a blaster. You could probably also do something with a spring?

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 8, 2019

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva
40D-KQF-4PG
Metal Gear Solid 4 (Ending)

Spoiler Warning!!!!!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1148017694995865600

Week Two's Jam has begun. The theme is "Taking Care of Business".

You can do anything having to do with business of any kind. Factories, farming, contract killings, lemonade stands, video game design? You name it, make a level for it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVnwFbnVCMo

Let's see... I did a factory last week so I'm going to so something else. Well whatever I do, there's going to be some BTO in the stage.

nrook posted:

You can't do it with a koopa, but you can launch empty buzzy shells and spiny shells from bill blasters.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah my first and most successful level, Chain Chomp Factory, already done.

I'll have to figure out something else

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm going to spend four hours getting the musical riffs just right and one hour on the level itself. :v:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Random Stranger posted:

Let's see... I did a factory last week so I'm going to so something else. Well whatever I do, there's going to be some BTO in the stage.

You can't do it with a koopa, but you can launch empty buzzy shells and spiny shells from bill blasters.

That’s still a little disappointing, empty beetle shells feel wrong because you can ride them, and spinies feel too mean. But it’s close enough, thanks,

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I haven't done a business level yet. We'll see what I come up with.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Phantasium posted:

It took me entirely too long to realize the coins were placed where you need to let go and when to jump.

I did have the thwomps at the end screw up one time but not hitting switches correctly when I might have had it, but otherwise everything worked.

The coin thing I figured out about 20 minutes in and that did help me get to the part I’m still suffering with but even though I’m pretty good with audio cues and timing I still kept getting clipped by the beetles when jumping. Like I know what needs to be done but I just can’t seem to get it right.

As for my next stage I’m Going to use the stage randomizer tonight to see if that gets some creative juices flowing.

Also saw that people have beaten and rated Trials and Incantations Redux and I’m so happy that my changes seem to have made it better. I didn’t want to be cheap on it and just wanted a solid challenge. Would love feedback if any Goons happened to have played either or both.

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 8, 2019

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

DorianGravy posted:

A few thoughts:
- I couldn't get past the wall-jumping section between the two towers of timed blocks. In general, unless you're actually aiming for a super-difficult level, don't put in challenges that are right at the edge of what's possible, because most people (like me) won't be able to get past it.
- In the section before that, I wasn't a fan of having to hit the invisible block, fall, and then do that section over again.
- It may be nice to give people a mushroom at the beginning of the level in case they get hit. Letting people make a couple mistakes and still continue is nice.
- In general, try to intersperse wall-jumping with other sorts of challenges. That would make the wall-jumping sections seem more interesting.

Keep at it!

Yeah, after seeing other people play it I see that the first ant room is way harder when you haven't tested it a million times. I think the difficulty ramp is also borked. Too easy in the beginning and too hard at the end. If the game would let me, I would have it be several self contained wall jumping puzzles with a checkpoint between each. Oh well, back to the lab!

Pwnguin
Sep 22, 2004
I love Kaizos but I am bad at most of them, so I made a short Kaizo lite that tries to emulate the feel of those levels but that even I can beat (and you can too!). I focused on making it fun to try for WRs - no waiting sections, possibility for small but tricky optimizations - while still being a fair and fun challenge played normally. I was going for a medium difficulty sweet spot, so let me know if you find it too easy or too hard. Also, as the description says, can you get the hidden 30 and 50 coins?

Monkey Gone to Heaven
GR5-HFX-RVF

I am bad at naming things, so I'm probably just going to name all my levels after unrelated songs from now on.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

DarkLich posted:

High praise from my favorite CSPAMmer!

Got another fresh batch of levels for y'all. As a reminder, I aim for these to feel like traditional Mario stages. There are rewards for exploration, including 3 bonus coins per stage.

Expect lots of climbing and vertical challenges in the Craggy Kingdom. Maker code is in the image if you'd like to check them out.

Mushroom Mountain - Various challenges around Goomba stacks. I'm curious to know how easy it is to locate bonus coins.
Hoarfrost Heights - My first stab at an athletics level. I worry that it plays a little slow - makes me wish for varying camera speeds in subzones.
Crystal Crevasse - After trying to make vertical levels in SMM1, I was excited to mess around with the proper toolkit. Hopefully there aren't any unfair surprises as you ascend.
Chillwind Citadel - The boss stage of the bunch. Twisters seem to have quite a variety of applications.

Feedback is always welcome, and I hope you enjoy! Up next, the hero takes a beach vacation.

I'm really excited to play all your levels. I've been downloading and saving them for a trip at the end of the month. I'll be sure to post feedback when I get around to playing them.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

I spent like at least 30 min today trying to beat your record on it but I couldn’t even get sub 20 seconds.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Is there any way to measure your own time beating one of your levels? I don't want to be the official world record holder for my levels, but I'm curious if I can beat other people's times, or if they're better than me at my own level. If I play my own levels in course world, it doesn't give me a time at the end.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
New level:

High-Flying Havoc
D8B-K3K-R7G

Airship level (not autoscrolling). I've had some feedback that my previous levels actually weren't hard enough, so I tried to take that to heart, but I hope I haven't gone too far the other way. There can be a lot of projectiles in the air, but you can take it slow to make it safer. There are a ton of secrets in this level and an optional miniboss, and multiple shortcuts for speedrunners.

guppy fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 8, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Made a level designed for versus multiplayer.

RACE: Alpine Pipeline: 8X9-YJY-8PF

At least, its supposed to be meant for multiplayer. Not a terrible hard level you're meant to run through as quickly as you can. You can still play it alone but it'll be really easy if you don't try to go fast.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

DorianGravy posted:

Is there any way to measure your own time beating one of your levels? I don't want to be the official world record holder for my levels, but I'm curious if I can beat other people's times, or if they're better than me at my own level. If I play my own levels in course world, it doesn't give me a time at the end.

If you click "More Info" it shows the clear time at least.

Ali Zaybak
Oct 29, 2012
I didnt think I'd get into the maker mode as much as I did, but it's super fun. Here's my first try: DXN-FKK-TTG. I mainly wanted to focus on two obstacle types and used what could be done with them. By the end it wound up having kind of a strong theme too. There's an extra segment at the end if you can make it through with a mushroom!

Pwnguin
Sep 22, 2004

guppy posted:

New level:

High-Flying Havoc
D8B-K3K-R7G

Airship level (not autoscrolling). I've had some feedback that my previous levels actually weren't hard enough, so I tried to take that to heart, but I hope I haven't gone too far the other way. There can be a lot of projectiles in the air, but you can take it slow to make it safer. There are a ton of secrets in this level and an optional miniboss, and multiple shortcuts for speedrunners.

Neat level, though I didn't find it hard at all, beat it in four tries. I felt clever skipping the Bowser Jr. fight by using the key from the miniboss instead. Was that intentional?

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Just made a new level!

Big Bully’s Mountain Chase
6W9-R3K-PMF

The lack of semisolid platforms in 3D World makes decorating hard... I have a feeling there may be a few elements in this level that might be harder than I intended (I’m aiming for around Normal), but let me know your thoughts!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Pwnguin posted:

Neat level, though I didn't find it hard at all, beat it in four tries. I felt clever skipping the Bowser Jr. fight by using the key from the miniboss instead. Was that intentional?

Thanks! No, it wasn't intentional, and I'm interested to know how you did it. I took some pains to prevent it; I realized during testing you could pop back up the entry pipe to the miniboss area, so I put a one-way block in front of the entry pipe so you'd have to leave via the other pipe, which I thought meant killing the boss for the key and going through the locked door. How did you manage it?

(EDIT: Originally I had put the pipe up high to prevent it, but since there's a Leaf in the room, you could run back and forth to get up the momentum to fly back up, hence the one-way block. I'm guessing you were able to fly in from the side?

guppy fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 8, 2019

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

My first go at this

clown college

L5R-RJ5-KWF

It’s a fairly short & condensed level that emphasizes vertical elements claw grabbers. I’d like to think is fairly challenging?

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

Magma Momentum Killer
8V8-CH3-2GG

After being extremely sick and unable to play since the game came out, I’ve finally been able to finish my first real level.

It’s pretty simple, playing off the rising and falling lava mechanic. There are a few big gently caress you moments, but is otherwise pretty easy. You just need to make sure you don’t miss anything.....

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Is there a way to infinitely replace ice blocks going on to a track that fall off? Or just building some kind of closed loop system?

Pwnguin
Sep 22, 2004

guppy posted:

Thanks! No, it wasn't intentional, and I'm interested to know how you did it. I took some pains to prevent it; I realized during testing you could pop back up the entry pipe to the miniboss area, so I put a one-way block in front of the entry pipe so you'd have to leave via the other pipe, which I thought meant killing the boss for the key and going through the locked door. How did you manage it?

(EDIT: Originally I had put the pipe up high to prevent it, but since there's a Leaf in the room, you could run back and forth to get up the momentum to fly back up, hence the one-way block. I'm guessing you were able to fly in from the side?

Yep, there's just enough room to get P-Speed and take flight, and the one-way doesn't prevent flying in from the side and going up by doing little hops in the air. Still took me a while because I am bad at the leaf! There are a few ways to prevent re-entering up-facing and sideways pipes, but with the leaf a one-way doesn't block re-entry in down-facing ones.

Edit: actually, putting a wall to the right of the one-way would do the trick!

Pwnguin fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 8, 2019

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I don't understand why this game doesn't have larger limits for number of courses you can have downloaded.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Pipes. (Overworld): 5P8-SRP-YMF
Snowshrooms (Snow): MLK-TLH-DYF
Skewer City (Castle): 4V5-786-HNF

The first two are just some really basic levels, but the castle one is fairly involved.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Pwnguin posted:

Yep, there's just enough room to get P-Speed and take flight, and the one-way doesn't prevent flying in from the side and going up by doing little hops in the air. Still took me a while because I am bad at the leaf! There are a few ways to prevent re-entering up-facing and sideways pipes, but with the leaf a one-way doesn't block re-entry in down-facing ones.

Edit: actually, putting a wall to the right of the one-way would do the trick!

Thanks, this makes sense. I might actually leave it this way as a neat speedrunning trick, the level has several others already.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I made a maze of clear pipes.

I'm sorry.

Arden's Pipe Maze Craze
L5F-QLW-BKF

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Reviewing some random goon levels:

Something Awful
MD2-HB6-B3G
:fedora:

Pipe Up (Re-Up)
85K-34R-7MF
I liked it! Lots of fun vertical ascent, looked very nice visually. The last bit at the end with the spineys on platforms felt like a bit of a difficulty spike, but I didn't actually die to it so :shrug:

0-4
99F-LKK-FDG
Short, but it felt like something you could find in the NSMB games. The bonus coins were well placed.

The Perilous Vine Skyway
7LS-F1Q-6BG
This was a cool autoscroller. Nice touch using the switches to let the player start when they're ready

Snow cliffs hide a dark secret
889-8M1-0JG
It seems strange to make the majority of the level optional. Clearing the level without unlocking the door is completely trivial, to the point where I imagine the majority of players in endless won't ever bother. I was also confused by the area near the top of the screen with munchers and an ice wall. It seemed like just a trap with no reward for players who fly with the cape or climb up the vine. I guess there could have been an invisible block with a 1-up or something?

My Buddy Bill
QRR-R2Y-DRG
If you enter the door fast enough you can leave before bill dies. I demand an alternate ending accounting for this.

More seriously, it's a cool concept that I think could probable be fleshed out into a full level instead of a short auto-mario thing.

The Ants Go Marching
JUN-JN6-4NF
The concept's not terrible, but I think the execution needs work. I ended up giving up when there was a couple troopers with spike helmets on ice blocks that I couldn't hurt after losing my powerup, but the entire big room felt very aimless. I also think you should add some leeway to the goal - having to kill all of the troopers means it's possible to, say, kill 49 of them and then realize that one ant in the first room climbed off the top of the wall before you could kill him.

Airship Rumble
PK6-XLJ-4BG
This was fun, and it looked great visually. It could probably use a little more signposting though, I only realized I was supposed to go down the pipe moles were coming out of because of a comment, for example. Adding some coins to indicate where you can jump down to an airship offscreen would be nice. Also, after killing Jr and getting the key and clown car, I flew up the path through the roof and went through a locked door, which led to... a dead end with a pipe giving powerups. It looked like I could have come into that room from below, so I guess it was a different route to Jr and I wasted my key backtracking?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Ali Zaybak posted:

I didnt think I'd get into the maker mode as much as I did, but it's super fun. Here's my first try: DXN-FKK-TTG. I mainly wanted to focus on two obstacle types and used what could be done with them. By the end it wound up having kind of a strong theme too. There's an extra segment at the end if you can make it through with a mushroom!

Rock My Socks! posted:

My first go at this

clown college

L5R-RJ5-KWF

It’s a fairly short & condensed level that emphasizes vertical elements claw grabbers. I’d like to think is fairly challenging?

Welcome to the thread, please add your levels to the spreadsheet using this form.

Edit:
:siren::siren:
Hi, I'm looking for details about this course which has the wrong code:
7/1/2019 23:52:33 Dresh Trapped in the Wizard's Archives 9MJ-5WY-47G Super Mario 2D World Ghost House "Story" #puzzle-solving #themed #exploration The sun is even more beautiful
Dresh doesn't appear to have posted in this thread, and does not have PMs, did anyone star them in game or anything?

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

A message for whichever one of you made the level Rickety Balancing act:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCK YOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU! But I beat it.

I also gave it a like to help you inflict it on other people.