Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Fantastic job, both by gyroball and mcd.

Also as someone who's been lurking and following the super league on and off since its inception as a spinoff of Smasher's 2003 cubs LP (blessedly outdated by 2016) I can second the rec for people to join it if they're interested at all in baseball stats, crazy storylines, regular attempts to break the system, and/or Eri Yoshida

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I finally started reading this just in time to get caught up before the grand finale, what a ride.

I almost want to try and get my dad to read this, since he is an absolute baseball nut and he'd love all the historical asides and in-jokes, but the obscure video game stuff might be a bit over his head... :cheeky:

I think favourite part was just now with the Marxist critique of the apocalypse. It's actually pretty spot on, anyone who doesn't know what Universal Basic Income is yet should go look that up ASAP.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

quote:

Oh, but everything is about Capitalism.

Seeking to destroy the world is the apex of toxic masculinity.

Zizek dropping some hard truth bombs this update.

Fantastic LP, thanks for sharing such a gem.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

That was certainly something and I'm glad it ended before dragging itself in the mud for a while longer and becoming less interesting.
Well done. Both of you.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I feel like we should have a smilie of Bobson saying, "gently caress that." as a coda. Otherwise, thanks for the LP! My favorite little touch of that finale was how The Machine had baseballs instead of feathers on his wings. :magical:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
That went exactly as expected and was all the more glorious for it (and yes, the commentators mentioning the game going on around them was the icing on an already excellent cake).

Amazing game, superb LP. Thanks for all the effort to keep us up to date on baseball trivia too. I assume a lot of work went into that, so I thought it would be important to let your team know that this reader, at least, greatly appreciated it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thank you for the LP!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

This has been an amazing ride. Thank you.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is art.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I learned more about baseball in this LP than I did in three seasons of the Super League. So, thanks for that.

On the other hand, I attribute all my success in the Super League to willful ignorance and not making lineup changes. So, in the words of Bobson, gently caress that.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
This LP was a trip, what a game

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Well that owned, thanks for the LP. Some out-of-date thoughts:

- Sadaharu Oh got mentioned in passing and I think he had a pretty good baseball career? Won a national high-school championship (a huge deal in Japan) and led the NPB in homeruns for a long time, though I think there was a pretty big asterisk on it by the end

- The Cubs finally won the world series against Cleveland the season after this game was made after something like a 108-year drought, and it also guest starred a New York Yankees closer blowing the save in game 7

- That whole dragonslayer gag was incredible

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

NGDBSS posted:

I feel like we should have a smilie of Bobson saying, "gently caress that." as a coda. Otherwise, thanks for the LP! My favorite little touch of that finale was how The Machine had baseballs instead of feathers on his wings. :magical:

The background needs some touch up work but I feel like I've captured the spirit of the request for a smilie/gang tag/whatever:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
This ruled. Thanks McD.

Hey gyro, looking back, is there anything you wish you could change? Or add?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I made one, too. Was gonna post it yesterday, but I hosed up one of the borders and had to re-upload.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yours is significantly better :golfclap:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Oh, are we dicking around with graphics now? Sure, this seems like a good thing to do with my time as 2 AM approaches.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Sydin posted:

Yours is significantly better :golfclap:

Aw, thx. I wasn't trying to show you up! :sadwave: It took probably an hour to put together and I didn't want it to go to waste.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Out of curiosity, does the bad ending change much if bobson gets 3 strike outside and ends the world to win the world series or likewise walks a batter before beaning the machine?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Great game and LP, thank you for sharing it! Big ups to SAS baseball Twitter legend Gyroball

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Both the game and the LP were fun as hell

good job, my dude

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Estuans interius
Ira vehementi.
Estuans interius
Ira vehementi.

RODRIGUEZ!
RODRIGUEZ!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
This was wonderful. Thank you for LPing it, McD!

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Incredible. I... I don't have any other words for this, really.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

curiousCat posted:

Incredible. I... I don't have any other words for this, really.

gently caress That

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Safer Carlos Rodriguez made me loving die. then so did everything after, especially the "barbecue vegetables" line.

quote:

:vince:

quote:

A House representative from Arkansas recently submitted a constitutional amendment to allow Dugan to run for president, despite being born in a Japanese video game.

:vince: :vince: :vince:

Deadmans Tea Party
Jan 9, 2019
Hold on...

TheMcD posted:

...But, Mo, you have a clause in your contract forbidding contact with existential mystery.

...but that is basically all Bobson et al did at certain points. I mean, I guess as long as the coach doesn't find out it's all gravy, but still.

Either way, drat fine LP and drat fine Game. Enjoyable and I learnt a lot about baseball.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So, the game implied-promised a Margaret Thatcher stand-in. Did I miss it :v:?

Anyway, yes, great game, great LP, hit me at the perfect moment (2 months after I learned of Jon Bois and somehow let him hook me onto... sportsball stuff.),

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Letting Dugan live is objectively the worst decision you can make in the game lol

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

TheMcD posted:

- If we have less than five relationship points with Kami, she joins the Philadelphia Phillies as a sabermetric analyst and struggles with the fact that she has been given an eMachines computer to work with.

I have to say, as a Phillies fan, this LP has been both funny and brutal to read. The Phillies really were a punchline with Ruben Amaro Jr, AKA "Ruin Tomorrow Junior" as their GM. One could argue that they still are a punchline - they were swept by the Marlins not long ago.

Great work though, and thank you.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

This was a hell of a trip, thank you TheMcD.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Awesome job TheMcD, it was a lot of fun to read through and you did a FANTASTIC job explaining baseball stuff, which is important because the game was written to appeal to the most narrow audience possible. You made it accessible and that's cool, because accessibility was the last thing I was thinking about when I made it. I practically just made the game to appeal to a couple hundred twitter followers I had from SAS/my Let's Play Baseball Mogul threads, but then let it spiral out into something bigger. Really cool seeing it get a LP to bring that all full circle.

GrandmaParty posted:

This ruled. Thanks McD.

Hey gyro, looking back, is there anything you wish you could change? Or add?

This is a hard question. On one hand, I'd change SO MUCH. This was the first game I ever made, and I had no idea what I was doing. I also didn't realize that I was months away from picking up more complex engines and learning to code in a few languages. There is so much I could do now, from more engaging minigames to more full-on genre changes to an actual 2d/3d swap for the Gritty Reboot that I can't list it all.

On the other hand, doing all that I would really want to do is probably impossible. RPGMaker cut a ton of corners for me so I could write this story. Yeah, 2019 me could theoretically make this game in GMS or Unreal and really do some wild poo poo, but it would take WAY LONGER and it would never get finished.

My real answer is that I wouldn't put in the joke about The Closer being asked to steal the bat which was called out earlier in the thread. I think I was trying to lampshade a situation to make it *less* awkward, but ended up making it worse.

edit: I'd also fix the Moose revival/returning to the translator bug; I've been actively scouring some old hard drives for the last version of the project so I can at least do that

gyroball fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 8, 2019

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TheMcD posted:

YOU CAN BARBECUE VEGETABLES.
No, that is truly ridiculous.
I gotta go with Safer Carlos here, that's the best way to cook corn on the cob.

Assuming they're talking about the "outdoor grill" and not "slow smoking" barbecue.

Also man, I called it, despite not remembering that we'd learned a beanball somewhere. :monocle:

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

gyroball posted:

On the other hand, doing all that I would really want to do is probably impossible. RPGMaker cut a ton of corners for me so I could write this story. Yeah, 2019 me could theoretically make this game in GMS or Unreal and really do some wild poo poo, but it would take WAY LONGER and it would never get finished.

Speaking of 2019 you, I was looking at the Woodsy Studio page TheMcD linked earlier and, while that's not normally my preferred genre at all, I have been crazily impressed by the writing in this game and am provisionally willing to give one of those a try. Which of those (or any other of your games) might you recommend first to people who loved your work here?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So why the only the knuckle-curve and excluding the traditional knuckleball (apart from Moose)?

RA Dickey, Tim Wakefield, and the Niekro brothers are shaking their heads in disbelief :v:

iospace fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 8, 2019

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Occultatio posted:

Speaking of 2019 you, I was looking at the Woodsy Studio page TheMcD linked earlier and, while that's not normally my preferred genre at all, I have been crazily impressed by the writing in this game and am provisionally willing to give one of those a try. Which of those (or any other of your games) might you recommend first to people who loved your work here?

So I totally get if this isn't something you're into, but the honest answer has to be miraclr: Divine Dating Sim. I know. I KNOW! it's really funny I ended up making VNs. (We do PG-13 otome games instead of eroge so the irony isn't THAT strong). Still, miraclr is the only game we've done that was, well, silly in the way The Closer is. So if you don't mind Otome, it is largely the same energy as The Closer.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
This game was really something incredible.

Thanks for the LP!

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

first thing, thanks for running this McD, it was really cool to see all the stuff I missed in my playthrough

secondly, serious question gyroball when are we getting a baseball dating sim

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

I should also bring up the supplemental stuff I did around The Closer because there are no references in game.

Mathenyquest (a Twine adventure about former Cardinals manager Mike Matheny): http://savethecloser.com/MathenyQuest/

Final Kroenke: http://savethecloser.com/kroenke/ (what if The Closer but football and also really short)

The Ascension of Randy Choate: http://savethecloser.com/choate/ (FMV game about turning a LOOGY into a starter, probably only works on Chrome)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jen X posted:

the machine? more like

the terminator

This Machine Kills Everybody